X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

MLB Off-Season '05-'06

IMO...the Rangers are morons if they make this deal...

utter morons...

Blockbuster brewing
    Report: Beckett, Lowell to Rangers for Blalock, pitcher

Palm Beach, Fla. (Ticker) -- Josh Beckett, the 2003 World Series MVP, could be on his way to the Texas Rangers, according to a report in Saturday's Palm Beach Post.

According to the report, the Marlins would send Beckett and and third baseman Mike Lowell to the Texas Rangers for third baseman Hank Blalock and a pitching prospect, either John Danks, a 2003 first-round pick, or Thomas Diamond, the club's top pick the following season.

However, the paper says the Rangers are reluctant to include a pitcher in the deal.

Florida is parting ways with free agent A.J. Burnett and a trade of Beckett would leave Dontrelle Willis as the lone building block in the Marlins' rotation. Center fielder Juan Pierre and catcher Paul Lo Duca also are on the trade block.

Beckett, one of the top pitchers in the game when healthy, has been bothered by injuries -- primarily blisters -- throughout his career. He was 15-8 with a 3.38 ERA in 29 starts this year, but is best known for his shutout in the Game 6 of the 2003 World Series against the New York Yankees which clinched the title for the Marlins. Beckett made $2.4 million in 2005.

Lowell, a three-time All-Star who hit .277 with 135 homers in 5 1/2 seasons with the Marlins entering 2005, hit just .236 with eight homers and 58 RBIs in 150 games this past season. The 31-year-old is owed $18 million over the next two years.

Blalock, the MVP of the 2003 All-Star Game who will turn 25 on Monday, is owed $13.5 million over the next three years. He hit .263 with 25 homers and 92 RBI last season.

© 2005 SportsTicker Enterprises, LP
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

I saw that...

But I also think that this is going to turn into a multi-team deal...

Including, dare I say, the Buccos ???
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Health would be the issue for the Rangers.

If Beckett and Lowell return to form and stay healthy.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Why would it need to turn into a 3 team deal?

I know the Rangers are balking at including another prospect...hadn't heard the Pirate angle...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Well, I'd say the Buccos' involvement would be a longshot, but I just read it the other day...

Even the Marlins' oft-proclaimed organizational philosophy of putting a premium on pitching doesn't appear impermeable to their fiscal realities.

Desperate to rid themselves of Mike Lowell and the $18 million left on his contract, the Marlins are entertaining trade scenarios in which they'd attach him to one of their two best starting pitchers. The Marlins are listening to offers for 2003 World Series MVP Josh Beckett as long as the shopper drops Lowell into the cart as well.

The Texas Rangers are among the teams with whom the Marlins have discussed such a deal, but according to a league source familiar with the talks, nothing is imminent. Other clubs open to a Lowell-Beckett package are the Red Sox and Tigers. The Angels, Dodgers, Yankees, Phillies, Pirates and Giants could enter the bidding as well.

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

I hear that the Marlins are holding out...thinking the Sox could come into play in a bidding war...

Comment

• redblkwht
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Marlins indeed are having a fire sale, the whitesux & Cubs are in the
              Hunt for Juan Pierre..

EUAS

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Looking like it'll be the Red Sox to get Beckett and Lowell...

The Red Sox and Marlins have completed a trade that would send Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to Florida for shortstop Hanley Ramirez, top pitching prospect Anibal Sanchez and another minor leaguer.

Red Sox on verge of acquiring Beckett, LowellBy Peter Gammons and Jayson Stark
                ESPN.com

The Red Sox and Marlins have come to a tentative agreement on a trade that would send Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to Boston for shortstop Hanley Ramirez, right-handed prospect Anibal Sanchez and a minor-league pitcher.

The deal is contingent on the finalization of paperwork and all players passing physicals, sources outside the Red Sox organization have told ESPN's Peter Gammons. An official announcement is not expected for a day or two, which leaves open the possibility that it could still fall apart, Gammons said on SportsCenter.

Only some last-minute haggling over dollars appeared to be holding up the deal, a baseball official with knowledge of the discussions told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. Florida would include cash in the trade to offset some of the $18 million owed to Lowell over the next two seasons.

In return, the Red Sox would give up Ramirez, their much-ballyhooed shortstop prospect, and Sanchez. The Marlins originally had targeted left-hander Jon Lester, but Boston balked at including him in the trade, so the Red Sox agreed to add a second minor leaguer if Florida took Sanchez instead, Stark reports.

Over the weekend the Texas Rangers were considered the frontrunner to land Beckett, the MVP of the 2003 World Series. The Rangers were offering All-Star third baseman Hank Blalock and one of their two top pitching prospects, either Thomas Diamond or John Danks, for Beckett. Blalock, who turned 25 on Monday, hit .263 with 25 homers and 92 RBI last season and led AL third basemen in fielding.

New Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said he received a call Monday afternoon from Marlins GM Larry Beinfest, who told him "the Marlins are going to go in another direction with their trade."

Before Texas was told it was eliminated from the running, Florida asked the Rangers to expand their deal even further, to include hot shortstop prospect Joaquin Arias, along with Blalock and a pitcher. In return, the Rangers would want a second pitcher back -- possibly setup man Guillermo Mota.

The Marlins, if that deal would have been completed, then would turn around and trade Blalock, who would block Miguel Cabrera's return to third base if Florida kept him. Teams known to be interested in Blalock include the Twins, Phillies and Devil Rays.

Beckett went 15-8 with a 3.38 ERA last season, when he had problems with his shoulder and recurring blisters on his right middle finger.

Lowell hit .236 with eight homers and 58 RBI while winning the NL Gold Glove at third base last season. He averaged 24 homers and 94 RBI per season in the five years before that.

Beckett is expected to earn between $4 million and $5 million next season.

Comment

• redblkwht
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Go figure the redsocks came in at midnight & stole the deal.
                  lmao typical yankee/redsox type thing to happen.\Poj, your right
                  the rangers are complete morons..lol but id never deal blalock.

EUAS

Comment

• Redballjets88
                    Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

they arent morons im in dallas and the reason the rangers have sucked so long is pitching therefore i would give up one good bat in an amazing line up for pitching
                    R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• redblkwht
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I hear they are shopping soriano too? WTF is that..
                      id be pissed if i was a fan of them, their best 2 are
                      being shopped..I also think beckett is injury prone..
                      may not be worthy of that deal but hey, WTF do i know?..lol

EUAS

Comment

• ALinChainz
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Mets, Marlins strike tentative Delgado deal

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
                        November 23, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- One season later, Carlos Delgado is headed to the New York Mets.

The Mets reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday to acquire Delgado and $7 million from the Florida Marlins for first baseman Mike Jacobs and pitcher Yusmeiro Petit, a baseball official familiar with the talks said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal was not final.

It is the second tentative deal struck this week by the payroll-slashing Marlins, who also have a pending agreement to send 2003 World Series MVP Josh Beckett to the Boston Red Sox for three prospects.

Frustrated they have been unable to put together financing for a new ballpark, the Marlins said Tuesday they have received permission from the commissioner's office to explore moving the franchise for the 2008 season.

New York would receive $7 million from the Marlins as part of the trade to offset the $48 million Delgado is owed over the next three seasons. The first baseman turned down the Mets' offer last January to accept a $52 million, four-year contract from the Marlins, who did not offer the no-trade clause contained in the Mets' deal.

The sides have not yet agreed on how to spread the money, the official said, with the Mets proposing Florida pays $1 million next year, $2 million in 2007 and $4 million in 2008. The Marlins proposed paying $2.5 million in 2007 and $4.5 million in 2008.

The commissioner's office, which must approve the trade because more than $1 million is changing hands, will make the final decision, the official said. Players also must take physicals.

The tentative deal was first reported by Newsday on its Web site after the Daily News reported Wednesday that a trade could be imminent.

In addition to Delgado's salary, the Mets must fulfill a provision in his contract that provides for state tax equalization. The official estimated that would come to between $300,000 and $450,000 next year.

Because he is a veteran player traded during a multiyear contract, Delgado would have the right to file a trade demand during the 15 days following next year's World Series.

A two-time All-Star, he hit .301 with 33 homers and 115 RBIs in his lone seasons with the Marlins, reaching 30 homers for the ninth consecutive year. The 33-year-old Delgado, who spent his first 12 major league seasons with Toronto, has a .284 career average with 369 homers and 1,173 RBIs.

He also attracted attention for protesting the U.S.-Iraq war by refusing to stand when "God Bless America" was played at major league ballparks.

Delgado received just $4 million last season and is owed $13.5 million in 2006, $14.5 million in 2007 and $16 million in 2008. His contract contains a club option for 2009 at $12 million with a $4 million buyout, but it could become guaranteed at $16 million depending on how he finishes in MVP voting and whether he wins postseason MVP awards.

The 25-year-old Jacobs, batted .310 with 11 homers and 23 RBIs in 100 at-bats with the Mets, who brought him up from the minors in mid-August. Petit, a right-hander who turned 21 Tuesday, went 9-3 with a 2.91 ERA in 21 starts at Double-A Binghamton, then went 0-3 with a 9.20 ERA in three starts at Triple-A Norfolk. During spring training, Delgado hit a three-run double off Petit.

While striking the Delgado deal, New York also was wooing closer Billy Wagner, who completed a two-day visit Tuesday. The Mets offered the free agent a three-year contract worth just more than $30 million, a deal containing an option for 2009 that could increase the package to $40 million.

"The visit went very well and went a long way to answering whether the Wagners could be comfortable living in the New York area," agent Bean Stringfellow wrote Wednesday in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Philadelphia is trying to re-sign the four-time All-Star.

AP Story

Comment

• vheddyrmv8
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Mar 2005

Wow the Marlins are retarded...the Red Sox stole that deal, a World Series MVP who destroys the Yankees, and a 3rd baseman beyond his prime just for a SS prospect they don't really need (did you think they would use Ramirez with Rentaria still locked up?) and a pitching prospect. Not to mention the Red Sox still have Hansen, Papelbon, and Lester. But the downside of this deal probably means no return for Mueller. They will probably start Youkilis and keep Lowell as a backup.

And now the Marlins are dealing Delgado, OK I see they want to free up money, but they are just giving away players. Not to mention they are sending money with these players! How is this freeing up money now?

I like how the Marlins are taking a stand and moving out of Miami though.
                          http://www.geocities.com/vhcrossingover/talkinshit.jpg

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Phillies agree to send Thome to White Sox for Rowand

By RICK GANO, AP Sports Writer

November 23, 2005

CHICAGO (AP) -- A month after winning the World Series, the Chicago White Sox began reworking a roster that produced the team's first championship in 88 years.

Injury-plagued slugger Jim Thome is on his way to the White Sox and gritty center fielder Aaron Rowand, one of the top defensive outfielders in baseball, is headed to Philadelphia.

The teams reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday that would send Thome and cash from the Phillies to Chicago for Rowand and two minor league pitchers. The trade is subject to both big league players passing physicals -- Thome is scheduled to have his exam on Friday.

The Phillies are giving the White Sox $22 million as part of the deal, a baseball official told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because the teams did not make that information public.

Philadelphia will also receive left-handers Giovany Gonzalez, Chicago's first-round pick in the 2004 amateur draft, and Daniel Haigwood as part of the deal, another baseball official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the trade wasn't finalized.

Acquiring Thome does not necessarily mean the White Sox are out of the running to re-sign free agent first baseman Paul Konerko. In addition to playing first, Thome can also be a DH, and the White Sox needed a left-handed swinging power threat -- with or without Konerko.

Chicago general manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Williams has said he is balancing Konerko's right to explore the market and preparing in case the first baseman does not return. Konerko, the AL championship series MVP, is not expected to choose a team before the winter meetings, which begin Dec. 5 in Dallas.

Thome, one of the AL's top sluggers while with the Indians and a native of Peoria, Ill., talked with the Chicago Cubs before joining the Phillies in 2003. He hit a total of 89 home runs in his first two seasons in Philadelphia before back and elbow injuries limited him to 59 games this year, when he slumped to .207 with seven homers and 30 RBIs in 193 at-bats.

The 35-year-old has 430 career homers, but is coming off surgery on his right elbow in August.

He is owed $43.5 million over the final three seasons of his $85 million, six-year contract. The deal also calls for the final $2.5 million of his $10 million signing bonus to be paid next year, normally the responsibility of the original club.

Thome became expendable after the emergence of first baseman Ryan Howard, who won the NL Rookie of the Year award after batting .288 with 22 homers and 63 RBIs in 88 games.

Rowand batted .270 with 13 homers and 69 RBIs for the White Sox last season. In the postseason, he hit .400 in the division series, .167 in the ALCS and .294 in the World Series.

He was just in Chicago, first for a Bears game on Sunday and then to appear at the premiere of the World Series DVD on Monday night. At that time, he said he wanted to remain with the White Sox.

Rowand will make $3.25 million next year, and his contract includes a $3.25 million player option for 2007. If Rowand declines, his club can exercise the option at $5 million.

Rowand gained attention last season with his excellent defense in center field, especially during a series at Yankee Stadium when he made several stellar catches.

He was sidetracked before becoming Chicago's starting center fielder when the White Sox signed Kenny Lofton right before spring training. Now he could be replacing Lofton, who played last season with the Phillies and batted .335 while platooning with Jason Michaels in center.

Rowand is represented by Craig Landis, also the agent for Konerko.

If the White Sox do re-sign Konerko, it's unclear whether they also would attempt to keep Frank Thomas, who also became a free agent. Without Rowand to patrol center, Chicago might move Scott Podsednik from left field to center and give top prospect Brian Anderson a shot in left or center.

The trade is the first major move for new Phillies general manager Pat Gillick, who replaced Ed Wade this month. Wade lost his job after the Phillies missed the playoffs for the 12th straight year and 21st time in 22 seasons.

Philadelphia went 88-74 this year and finished one game behind NL wild-card winner Houston.

The White Sox went 11-1 in the postseason, sweeping Boston in the first round, beating the Angels in five games in the AL championship series and then taking four straight from the Astros in the World Series.

AP Sports Writers Rob Maaddi in Philadelphia and Ronald Blum in New York contributed to this report

Comment

• redblkwht
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Mets continue to sign over-rated player IMO..
                              They seem to keep making the same mistakes of the past..lol Vaughn, glavine, alomar,ventura
                              come to mind..lmao
                              look at beltrans season last year..talk about a flop?
                              this new GM they got IS a moron.

GO CUBS!!

EUAS

Comment

Working...