X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLRDUDE
    Roadie
    • Oct 2004

Great bands that never really made it

Anyone remember Black-n-Blue with "Hold on to Eighteen" and Britney Fox with with "Girl's School" and "Long way to love"...awesome, still have the casettes around here somewhere
    There are those that do and those that don't. Those that didn't see what those that did had done and wish they had especially when "She looked so F#*kin GOOD"
  • SNIPER
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jun 2004

My idea of great band that never really made it are Death Angel, Flotsom And Jetsom, Overkill, and Testament.

Comment

• m_dixon1984
      Foot Soldier
      • Aug 2004

Pride and Glory - would have loved Zakk Wylde to continue with this project. BLS is good but his biker gang look is a bit tired and over-the-top.

M
      http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...rip10_full.jpg

Comment

• bueno bob
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Saint Vitus
        Cathedral
        Sheavy
        Electric Wizard
        Coroner
        Forced Entry
        Conception
        Count Raven
        The Melvins
        Racer X
        Savatage (1983-1993)
        Wolfsbane

...a lot of those are still active today, but I think it's a safe bet to say they're not going to enter Billboards top 10 anytime soon...
        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• DLRDUDE
          Roadie
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
          Saint Vitus
          Cathedral
          Sheavy
          Electric Wizard
          Coroner
          Forced Entry
          Conception
          Count Raven
          The Melvins
          Racer X
          Savatage (1983-1993)

Bob I must have lived a sheltered life because I have never heard of one of those bands but that's just me. There's a lot of bands out there that we just don't know about, they work their arses off and never get recognized and it's a shame.
          Wolfsbane

...a lot of those are still active today, but I think it's a safe bet to say they're not going to enter Billboards top 10 anytime soon...
          There are those that do and those that don't. Those that didn't see what those that did had done and wish they had especially when "She looked so F#*kin GOOD"

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLRDUDE
            Of all the ones I listed, the one that REALLY deserved it the most was Savatage...quite frankly, Criss Oliva was the best fucking guitarist since Randy Rhoads and Yngwie, PERIOD. He managed to combine the styles of Eddie's and Randy's playing while keeping it METAL - straight ahead, slick, and he was simply an awe-inspiring guitarist. The cool thing about him was that he could have easily done anything...Malmsteen shred would have been simplicity itself for him (and he did at times dabble with it, but not very often), yet he restrained himself and was more concerned about how GOOD the solo was, not necessarily showboating (and don't get me wrong, I love Yngwie, but let's face it, he's a show-off).

Were you to try out anything I suggested, my pick would be Savatage for sure...but after Criss' death, it's not worth listening to, virtually a Broadway parody act (and I mean that honestly...it's rather pathetic).

Albums in particular:

"Sirens"
            "The Dungeons Are Calling"
            "Hall of the Mountain King"
            "Gutter Ballet"
            "Streets"
            "Edge of Thorns"

All available on Atlantic, yeah, but out of print for the most part...Sirens and Dungeons are readily available since they were reissued a few years back on Metal Blade...easy to find a ton of shit to download, if that's your thing...eBay will pass copies of those CDs for $2 a pop, usually.

I can't recommend Savatage 1983/1993 highly enough. But avoid anything later than that like the plague...trust me.
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• m_dixon1984
              Foot Soldier
              • Aug 2004

Savatage sounded familiar to me. Did they have anything resembling a hit, or a video, Bueno Bob?

Your write-up certainly has me intrigued so I may track some their stuff down.

M

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

I saw Dexy's Midnight Runner's as the next Zeppelin, but I may have been wrong about that...

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• nosuchluck
                  Sniper
                  • Aug 2004

'Edge of Thorns' by Savatage! one of the all-time best ever heavy rock albums!

Gutter Ballet and Streets are definitely up there too.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Motorhead should have torn America a new arse.

Instead they are a cult band.
                    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• m_dixon1984
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Aug 2004

Thanks, Bueno. I tracked down the Savatage website where they had some song samples. From what I've listened to I prefer the older stuff you suggested, on Sirens and Dungeons, over the slightly newer stuff nosuchluck is raving about. However, the samples for those were mostly ballads and I suspect the full albums have heavier stuff as well. Very cool and will definitely be checking them out at the music stores in town.
                      M

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

The Fleshtones have been great since 1977. Too bad they have almost changed labels for each release... It's a goddamn puzzle to gather their whole discography - even to find one single record...
                        Good time music, cheeky lyrics, smart musicians... "The greatest band that never really made it" IMO.
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• nosuchluck
                          Sniper
                          • Aug 2004

Kings X never got the kind of recognition they deserved.
                          other bands that come to mind are
                          Badlands
                          Budgie
                          Fates Warning (though prog rock bands shouldn't count - none of them got the recognition they deserved)
                          UK (largely forgotten pioneers of prog)

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                            Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Kings of the Sun
                            Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction
                            The Almighty
                            Badlands
                            Circus of Power

among many many more.....
                            Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• bueno bob
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by m_dixon1984
                              Thanks, Bueno. I tracked down the Savatage website where they had some song samples. From what I've listened to I prefer the older stuff you suggested, on Sirens and Dungeons, over the slightly newer stuff nosuchluck is raving about. However, the samples for those were mostly ballads and I suspect the full albums have heavier stuff as well. Very cool and will definitely be checking them out at the music stores in town.
                              M
                              Very much so. Most of the earlier stuff was straight ahead metal, but they're best known for the lighter fare at this point, for the most part. They had videos (that I known of) on MTV with "24 Hours Ago", "Hall of the Mountain King", "When the Crowds Are Gone", "Gutter Ballet", "Edge of Thorns" and "Sleep" - that's what I'm actually AWARE of, however, of course, MTV didn't play them very often...hardly at all...
                              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...