• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Top Jimmy
    I thought this was a thread about The Buffalo Bar in in Las Vegas,
    a well-known hangout for gay guys..........

you queers.
    What's it like inside?

Comment

• Top Jimmy
      Head Fluffer
      • Jan 2004

that was the best ya could do,
      when I gave you a softball like that?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Top Jimmy
        that was the best ya could do,
        when I gave you a softball like that?

This is sports talk, not gay-bar-tours-USA...

Get out of my thread, PowerBottom Jimmy!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/okhiJjuefPw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/okhiJjuefPw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I didn't even know he was a Bills fan.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Are the Buffalo Bills thinking of returning to the No-Huddle, "hurry-up" offense? Without Jim Kelly? I dunno...

April 30, 2009 4:33 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

After several years of offensive tedium, the Buffalo Bills might actually be changing the way they operate.

A team source says the Bills are gearing up to run a no-huddle offense in 2009. It would maximize their skill players and perhaps neutralize any offensive-line deficiencies by wearing out defenders.

Sam Wyche, the coach who pioneered the up-tempo, three-receiver offense, thinks the Bills have assembled the components to support such a transformation.

Denny Medley-US PRESSWIRE
            According to a source, Bills quarterback Trent Edwards will be operating the no-huddle offense this season.
            "Buffalo's sitting pretty with all those guys," Wyche said from his home in South Carolina. "Believe me."

Wyche installed the entertaining no-huddle offense as head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals in the 1980s. Bills offensive coordinator Turk Schonert learned the no-huddle as quarterback Boomer Esiason's backup. Schonert also was Wyche's quarterbacks coach when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ran the no-huddle in the 1990s.

Bills fans became enamored with a no-huddle offense known as the K-Gun, which Jim Kelly so masterfully conducted during their Super Bowl years. A significant reason the Bills tried it was because Wyche's no-huddle Bengals beat them in the 1988 AFC title game.

The timing would be right for a reprise.

The Bills have dangerous receivers Terrell Owens, Lee Evans and Josh Reed, versatile running backs Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson and Dominic Rhodes and quarterback Trent Edwards, who they believe can make quick decisions at the line of scrimmage.

"The no-huddle lends itself to guys that are big-play guys," Wyche said, "because if you get a defense that's just a little fatigued, just a little off their first-step quickness, and you get the explosive guys, they can hit the home run.

"They have those quick-strike guys."

The Bills also signed a brainy center to make the line calls. Geoff Hangartner scored 47 out of 50 on his Wonderlic intelligence test before the 2005 draft. That's supposedly the record among offensive linemen.

The Bills declined to draft a potential replacement for Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters, choosing instead to select guards Eric Wood and Andy Levitre.

Jim Ritcher, Buffalo's left guard on those K-Gun teams, noted the importance of mobility in a no-huddle offense.

"We were sort of smaller and could run better than some of the other lineman in the league that were much bigger than us," Ritcher said from his home in North Carolina.

Wyche said the no-huddle offense works on three levels.

"No. 1, you cut down the recovery time and the defense wears down," Wyche said. "No. 2, the defense has a real tough time getting substitutes in, and the offense gets natural mismatches. No. 3, defensive coordinators have a hard time sending in intricate blitzes because of the time it takes, and you never know when it's going to be a quick snap. So you simplify the defenses you're going to see."

Defenses usually can keep up for about a quarter before they begin to fatigue against a persistent no-huddle attack.

"Every 20 seconds we were getting off a play," Ritcher said. "It's not really difficult, but you have to be in good shape. Defense is so much tougher than offense anyways, when you're running all over the field like a defensive player has to do. It's much more tiring.

"Teams saw that they couldn't replace their defense or change their schemes. They stayed in their defense the whole series until there was a timeout or a penalty. We could just exploit whatever they were in with Jim Kelly and Frank Reich knowing what to do."

Wyche is familiar with much of the Bills' personnel. He was their quarterbacks coach under Mike Mularkey in 2004 and 2005. Wyche did not work with Edwards, who was drafted in 2007, but thinks highly of him.

"You always look for two things in quarterbacks: They've got to be smart, and they've got to be accurate," Wyche said. "If they're tall, that's a plus. If they can run, that's a plus. If they got a rifle arm, that's a plus. But if they're smart and accurate you can figure out a way to win."

Edwards, a Stanford graduate, completed 65.5 percent of his passes last year. That was the NFL's seventh-best efficiency rate.

One of the overlooked elements of a no-huddle offense is a sure-handed tight end. The Bills released the droptastic Robert Royal and drafted Shawn Nelson out of Southern Miss in the fourth round. Nelson is balanced, but known more for his catching ability than his blocking.

"Where the no-huddle is most effective is if you got a tight end that can step out a few yards and be a quick receiver and you've got a running back who can cheat out to the weak side and be a quick receiver out of the backfield," Wyche said.

"You don't have to substitute to get four wide receivers. You can get your third and fourth receiver from your tight end or your backs. That's when you really optimize your offense."

All three Buffalo backs can catch. Lynch had 47 receptions for 300 yards and a touchdown last year. Jackson had 37 catches for 317 yards. Rhodes caught 45 passes for 302 yards and three touchdowns as a part-time starter for the Indianapolis Colts, the preeminent no-huddle team.

"It's not that hard, and the players get to really like it because they get more involved in the offense," Wyche said. "They get to feel like they're more in charge.

"In the no-huddle everything is lining up at a much faster tempo. You're not in a two-minute mode, but you're not in slow-mo either. The Bills' opponents can't practice that tempo."

Incidentally, Graham used to write for the Buffalo News, so he does have sources...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Bills fire offensive coordinator Schonert

Associated Press

Updated: September 4, 2009, 2:20 PM EDT

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Turk Schonert has been fired after the offense's dismal performance in the preseason.

The move was announced by coach Dick Jauron on Friday, less than a day after the Bills (1-4) closed their preseason with a 17-6 loss to Detroit.

Quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt will take over as the Bills prepare to open the season at New England on Sept. 14.

Schonert was responsible for installing a no-huddle offense this year in a bid to keep defenses guessing and to take advantage of new receiver Terrell Owens. The plan has so far failed to work for a first-team offense that generated 279 yards, 15 first downs and 3 points in 15 series this preseason.

Overall, the Bills were outscored 75-12 in the first half and failed to score a touchdown in their final eight-plus quarters, including a 17-0 loss at Pittsburgh last weekend.

"It didn't seem like we were progressing," Jauron said, adding he consulted with team owner Ralph Wilson earlier in the day. Jauron said Wilson told him it was up to him. "It was a decision I needed to make and I did it."

Jauron said he began considering the move over the past day.

The offense's struggles were partly due to the absence of Owens, who missed the final four preseason games with a sprained toe. Another factor was the team's decision to completely retool its offensive line, which is projected to include two rookie starters at guard, first-round pick Eric Wood and second-rounder Andy Levitre.

Schonert was entering his second year as the team's coordinator after serving as Buffalo's quarterbacks coach. He was spotted leaving the Bills facility about 30 minutes before the team's official announcement.

Schonert becomes the third offensive coordinator fired this week, after Kansas City's Chan Gailey was fired on Monday and Tampa Bay's Jeff Jagodzinski was let go on Thursday. Schonert was regarded as a key supporter of quarterback Trent Edwards, as the two are Stanford alums.

Van Pelt is entering his fourth season with the team as coach and previously spent nine seasons playing for the Bills as a backup quarterback. He's familiar with Edwards and also familiar with the no-huddle scheme, having played behind Hall-of-Famer Jim Kelly, who ran the no-huddle K-Gun attack.

The Bills now move on to their sixth offensive coordinator since the start of the 2001 season.

The decision to fire Schonert shouldn't have come as a surprise after the unit's struggles this preseason, and after Wilson expressed concern about the offense after last season when he elected to retain Jauron and his staff.

Wilson, at the time, said he shared "many of the fans' dissatisfaction with our offensive game management," and added he would not be complacent in seeking improvement.

The Bills offense finished 25th in total yards in the NFL last season, the sixth straight year the unit finished 25th or worse.

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Wow, three offensive coordinators fired in a single week. The Chiefs, Buccaneers and now Buffalo. I question the thinking here. I mean a week before the season starts, you finally figure out that your OC is no good? Granted, better now than once the season is underway, but still you have to wonder why this wasn't hashed out in training camp or even earlier in the off-season.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

What's really fascinating here is the fact that (rumor has it) Ralph Wilson wanted Turk gone because if his mismanagement of the Bills offense during the pre-season (no touchdowns by the first string running a semi-no-huddle popgun attack generaled by a skittish QB).

But Dick Jauron gets to keep his job after three seasons of 7-9...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

Jauron keeps his job because there's some Marv Levy to him. He runs a tight ship...although I'm sure that will be tested some.

I think Jauron is crap as a coach...but Levy and Wilson both like him...so he stays.

This is his last chance though.

Thing is...if TO pays off...that team has a chance to be good. We shall see though. If they struggle...

Get ready to ride the TO train into the fiery depths of hell.
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                      Jauron keeps his job because there's some Marv Levy to him. He runs a tight ship...although I'm sure that will be tested some.

I think Jauron is crap as a coach...but Levy and Wilson both like him...so he stays.

This is his last chance though.

Thing is...if TO pays off...that team has a chance to be good. We shall see though. If they struggle...

Get ready to ride the TO train into the fiery depths of hell.

That may be true. But he also works for less, which is also why he stays. Wilson and Levy, the geriatric corp, want to control everything and have yes-men at the helm.

The Bills don't even have a real GM, just some marketing guy with the title...

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

To tell you the truth Nick, I'll be watching a few more Bills games this year, in addition to the regular two meetings between your squad and the Dolphins. This new "no-huddle" offense should be an interesting experiment. I first saw it used during the Hall Of Fame game against Tennessee a few weeks ago, and it was quite effective.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                          To tell you the truth Nick, I'll be watching a few more Bills games this year, in addition to the regular two meetings between your squad and the Dolphins. This new "no-huddle" offense should be an interesting experiment. I first saw it used during the Hall Of Fame game against Tennessee a few weeks ago, and it was quite effective.
                          Yup! An interesting experiment in three-and-out, and a pretty solid defense spending record minutes on the field...

Don't get me wrong, I love the no-huddle, and various other outside-the-box football as 95&#37; of the league runs the same boring schemes. But the reason it worked before started with the line. Buffalo's line was monstrous in the 1990s with Will Wolford, Kent Hull, and House Ballard. That's where it started. Then you had Kelly who was fearless, one of the best all purpose backs ever (Thomas), a consistently very good receiving corp.

Right now, all the BILLS have is a really good receiving corp, an overrated running back that can't stay out of trouble, a patchwork line more known for getting shoved into their own QB than for run-blocking, and a quarterback that looks gun-shy and without any confidence. And the whole point of the no-huddle is to have the QB call the plays, not the ex-QB OC...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

The line can be the best in the league...but if a QB doesn't know how to audible well...the no huddle is pointless.

Yes, the line is important for any team...but I just don't think Edwards is the guy you want running any sort of no huddle.

Kelly had called his own plays since college...and ran a no-huddle at times under Mouse Davis with the Houston Gamblers in the USFL. Davis created the run and shoot, and often allowed Kelly to no huddle to help created receiving mismatches.

Kelly was a better player...and had two years of practice with a faster paced philosophy.
                            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Bills CB McKelvin's lawn vandalized after Pats loss
                              Associated Press
                              add this RSS email print
                              Updated: September 15, 2009, 7:56 PM EDT

HAMBURG, N.Y. (AP) - The front lawn of a home belonging to Bills cornerback Leodis McKelvin was vandalized following Buffalo's season-opening loss to New England.

Leodis McKelvin didn't have too much to smile about after Monday night's game. (Jim Rogash / Getty Images)

Hamburg police on Tuesday confirmed the home of a Bills player was vandalized, but declined to release details of their investigation after an obscenity and the score of Monday night's game — a 25-24 loss to the Patriots — were painted in white on the player's lawn in suburban Buffalo.

McKelvin fumbled a kickoff return with under two minutes to play and the Bills leading 24-19. Three plays later, New England's Tom Brady hit Benjamin Watson for the go-ahead touchdown as the Patriots overcome an 11-point deficit in the final 2:O6.

Bills CB McKelvin's lawn vandalized after Pats loss - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

Not cool man. Not cool. Leave the man's home alone!

But WTF was he thinking not taking a knee? or at least hitting the deck the second he was touched? LOL

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

The Fucking Bills...seriously Nick...wanted to throw my 50" out the fucking window after that bullshit...

Comment

Working...