Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe they should hire Levy...

I've always said that you need to hire the best...and pay the best...because coaches salaries don't fall under the cap...a good coach will save you money by coaching better...

but you'll see the Bills get another coordinator...

Hell...if they were smart...they'd call the guy in Louisville...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    Maybe they should hire Levy...

I've always said that you need to hire the best...and pay the best...because coaches salaries don't fall under the cap...a good coach will save you money by coaching better...

but you'll see the Bills get another coordinator...

Hell...if they were smart...they'd call the guy in Louisville...
    Honestly, I'd love to see ex-VIKES/JETS/BILLS' def. coor. TED COTTRAL get a shot. There's a guy that's been overlooked by this league...

First he was too black, now he's too old. LOL
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

yeah...but compared to fucking Levy...he's a fucking kid...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Christ...compared to Levy...he's ALIVE...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    yeah...but compared to fucking Levy...he's a fucking kid...
    Oh I know. In fact I think his age is not an issue at all (after 70, then we're worrying about that).

I just mean that team GM's are the same as any HR-dolts that all want a 40-something guy that looks exactly like a suave PETE CARROLL. I mean, didn't ROMEO CRENNEL, or the other Pat's coordinator, get his stomach stapled so he could get a job by looking thinner?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-07-2014 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

At the risk of being coined "stalker" by posting in this thread, here's a story on the Sabres I just found on espn.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=2290162

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by TLR
    At the risk of being coined "stalker" by posting in this thread, here's a story on the Sabres I just found on espn.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=2290162
    Posting in threads doesn't make you a stalker...

Especially good articles...

Yes, the SABRES are a nice little success story (for any sport and any team) that show a good team shouldn't have to break the bank if they draft very well and get a good coach.

Unfortunately, they have more injuries that a US Marine Company in RAMADI at this point...

And they're not sneaking up on people anymore...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Similar to the Canes...

they aren't still sneaking up on anyone...healthy...

and still winning...

yeah...Charlie Weis had his stomach stapled...Crennell is still a fat ass...

but Weis did it so that he didn't die...not to get a job...although being alive certainly helps you getting a job...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This is true. Being alive improves one's employment prospects...

Why Mularkey walked away from his remaining three-years...

Bills Insider Chris Barili

As if Marv Levy's new job wasn't hard enough already, Head Coach Mike Mularkey decided Wednesday night to inform Ralph Wilson of his resignation. So now the Bills are tossed into the head coach hunt a couple of weeks behind the rest of the coach-less teams.

So while Marv fishes around for a new leader, fans are left wondering what the hell just happened. Did their head coach resign for personal reasons, or is he just a quitter.

We'll probably never know for sure, but here's how I see it.

First, if the reports of his wife and children are being harassed around Buffalo are true, shame on the fans that did that. His family should have been treated no differently than anyone else in the Buffalo community, and anyone who dished out verbal abuse to them should go root for the Raiders or the Eagles or some other team whose fans are known for being uncivil. Real Bills fans don't want that kind of rubbish around.

That said, there were much better ways of dealing with that kind of thing than quitting. Many head coaches live away from their team's hometown for just such a reason, and Mularkey probably could have done the same. School bullies can be dealt with, and harassment can be handled as well. While I understand Moo's concern for his family, I fear that the lesson he just taught his kids is that when the going gets tough, run away. Quit. Take the easy road. Don't face your problems. Did Andy Reid run away under fire in Philly? How about Jim Haslett in New Orleans? Nope. They rode it out until someone else told them their services were no longer wanted.

But I suspect Mularkey's reasons for quitting went far deeper than concern for his family. Mr. Wilson mentioned over and over again the "detractors" around Buffalo, the negativity from the fans and media. If that really factored into Mularkey's decision, then I'm afraid head coaching just isn't for him. Hell, any public life probably isn't for him. Imagine if he'd been in New York City, Philly, or Chicago--he'd have been reduced to tears in his first press conference. Marv Levy said it best today, when he said that there would always be criticism when a team is losing. You silence that by "getting back on track." By winning. Not by running away.

Finally, numerous news outlets are reporting that Mularkey didn't like the direction the team is headed, and didn't want to compromise his character. Couple that with the fact that he went to Wilson instead of new GM Levy, and that it all follows the dismissal of his good friend Tom Donahoe, and it looks to me like Mularkey has a problem with the way the GM situation was handled. If that were the case, he should have followed TD out the same day, rather than waiting until the team was behind the power curve looking for a replacement.

So if you ask me, Mularkey's decision was based on three things.

1. His family was taking crap--unacceptable, but quitting is not how you deal with that.

2. He got tired of the fans and media wanting a winning team--something a real head coach ought to be able to handle.

3. He didn't like the way his friend Tom Donahoe was fired--sounds like a personal problem to me. If your loyalty is with Donahoe more than the team, you're not needed here anyway.

So in my opinion, Mike Mularkey quit. He didn't resign, but he took the easy way. The going got tough and he whimped out. Granted, we don't have all the information. But you know, he can change that too. He could make more than a minimal statement himself, saying why. He could come out and tell the fans what his reasons are in something other than the vague, ethereal crap-talk he gave in his short letter.

He won't, though. Just like he did with his resignation, and just like the team he led did so many times this season, he gave up. It was easier to walk away, blaming the fans and the media like his buddy TD did than face the truth like a man and confront the issues head-on.

So good riddance Moo; I was one of your supporters. I thought giving you a second chance was a good idea. Now I know I was wrong. This team needs a winner. Not a quitter.

Another Marv Levy quote says something about your actions speaking so loudly that no one can hear what you say. That applies particularly well in this case.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

For anyone that cares, the BILLS confirmed interviews of Dick Jauron & Mike Sherman for this week. It's assumed they will talk to HASLETT...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dick Jauron...to be next Bills coach...

Jauron in Buffalo to discuss final details of contract
    Jan. 22, 2006
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Former Chicago Bears coach Dick Jauron was in Buffalo and preparing to become the Bills head coach on Sunday, a person familiar with the decision told the Associated Press.

Reached on his cell phone, Jauron told the AP that he was in town but declined to comment, referring questions to the team.

A person with direct knowledge of the decision told the AP that Jauron arrived to finish up some details on his contract. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the official announcement had not yet been made.

A message left with Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold was not immediately returned.

Jauron went 35-46 in five seasons with the Bears and was the NFL coach of the year in 2001, following a 13-3 finish.

Dick Jauron won the coach of the year in 2001, but was 1-4 as interim coach with Detroit. (Getty Images)
    Jauron spent the past two years as the Lions defensive coordinator and finished last season as the team's interim coach after Steve Mariucci was fired in late November.

Jauron also was an assistant coach with Jacksonville and Green Bay.

When he accepts the job, Jauron will take over a Bills team that underachieved in going 5-11 last season and missed the playoffs for the sixth straight year -- the Bills' longest drought since the NFL merger.

He replaces Mike Mularkey, who abruptly resigned on Jan. 13, a week after Bills owner Ralph Wilson announced his coach would be back for next season.

Jauron will become the Bills' fourth head coach since current GM and Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy retired following the 1997 season.

Levy is back with the Bills, replacing team president and general manager Tom Donahoe, who was fired earlier this month.

Wilson and Levy interviewed five other candidates for the job in a weeklong search that focused mostly on those with previous head coaching experience. Among those also interviewed were former Green Bay coach Mike Sherman and former Houston coach Dom Capers.

Jauron and Sherman were considered the front-runners throughout the process.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ugly man, very ugly. I was hoping for SHERMAN...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Tim Connoly was hurt when noted cheap-shot artist Kasparitis hit him with a hip-check that went awry.

Now I don't like Kasparitis. He has tried to hurt people in the past. But this time the hit was clean, although the end result was unfortunate.

Dude should have answered the bell to Sabres who tried to exact some revenge with hard hits eyt. Instead he flopped around the ice like he was trying out for Skating With the Stars.

Ruff was out of line calling the hit dirty. If anything you could question the hip check as being inherently risky, given that it is hard to be accurate trying to line a player up when you are skating laterally while a player is moving up the ice.

I think the league has let the game get pussified enough, so the hip check should stay.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
    Tim Connoly was hurt when noted cheap-shot artist Kasparitis hit him with a hip-check that went awry.

Now I don't like Kasparitis. He has tried to hurt people in the past. But this time the hit was clean, although the end result was unfortunate.

Dude should have answered the bell to Sabres who tried to exact some revenge with hard hits eyt. Instead he flopped around the ice like he was trying out for Skating With the Stars.

Ruff was out of line calling the hit dirty. If anything you could question the hip check as being inherently risky, given that it is hard to be accurate trying to line a player up when you are skating laterally while a player is moving up the ice.

I think the league has let the game get pussified enough, so the hip check should stay.
    I agree it's a clean hit. I love a good hip check, and according to this poll, most fans here agree. But that being said, KASPARITIS (with his long history) better watch his back if the SABRES and Rangers meet in the first round of the playoffs...

I think RUFF, and the fans, are just frustrated, because every time we turn the corner and get some injured guys back (DUMONT returned from a sports-abdominal hernia early), somebody gets blown apart for four to six weeks...

Connolly's injury means that the top three scorers on the BUFFALO SABRES have been injured for a significant amount of time this season, (including DANIEL BRIERE, their best player). This in addition to integral role players like PYATT, Ryan MILLER, and Adam MAIR...

This team has really fought through some serious injury problems this season, which makes their record even more of an accomplishment...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-27-2006 at 06:37 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

FLYER's goalie Robert Esche on the Buffalo SABRES:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nhl/gamece...060202_PHI@BUF

Esche made 33 saves in the loss, the Flyers' third in the last four games. Esche was making his fourth start since returning from a groin injury.

"With a talented team like they are, they make you move so much," he said. "Those forwards on that team are very underrated. I think they are some of the best in the game right now."

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

With so many Sabres and Canucks injured, it should be noted that The Nucks Manitoba Moose beat the Sabres farm team, Rochester in the playoffs last year.

Our grinders are better than your grinders

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Funny thing is though, the SABRES have found some guys that would never have gotten the chance they have if it weren't for those injuries. JASON POMINVILLE has been a absolute shock, he's a goal scorer that was waived last year...

And TIM CONNOLLY has reached potential and grown into a second line play-making centerman...

I hoping, and this is true for VANCOUVER as well, that the injury luck of the draw will change down the stretch, and teams like OTTAWA will start to have their luck run out...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think that any Stanley Cup run, due to its marathon-like nature, necessitates a certain relentless element that the younger, fringe player may bring.

How can a vet give a half-assed shift when some rookie is fighting Iginla and scoring goals! Every Cup run has the eventual winner with a hot goalie, but more importantly a team dedicated to helping him look good through hard work.

Buffalo is a shining example.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2016 @ 07:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Nick...

So the Bruins/Sabes game was on last night and I wasnt really paying attention to it at the beginning, but they sang the CANADIAN national anthem before the game.

What the fuck is up with that? Do they always do that?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yup. It's a long standing tradition since Buffalo is a border-town and a major traffic area with the Peace Bridge and all. A river separates Buffalo from Ft. Erie, ONT. The SABRES have a significant Canadian fan base, and a lot of Hockey starved Torontonians that can't get LEAF tickets come down on bus packages. In fact, when the Sabres play the Maple Leafs, it's almost as loud in the bldg. when the Leafs score as when the Sabres score.

And DON CHERRY adopted BUFFALO has an honorary Canadian town...

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How the flyin' Ethel Merman did I miss this fact? I go back to the depths of the Adams Division in the mid-late 80's...watching EVERY Bruins game on TV38, back when hockey was the greatest game around...how did I miss the fact that they sing O Canada? Please tell me that it;s only been for the last 10 years or so and I will feel better about myself...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nope...

I think it's always been...

Maybe you ignored that fact as the Bruins owned the Sabres until 1993...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-09-2006 at 11:56 PM.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hey Nickd!

Can Mika Noronen play?

Has Golden Awe seen him play?

I like the pickup for the Nucks.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

NORONEN can play... He's a solid goalie that has skill. But he's been riding the pine here and was getting very unhappy about it, only because MILLER's a top-shelf goalie, and BIRON played his ass off when Miller went down. There was talk of wanting to trade BIRON and of keeping Noronen, thinking he'd be a better backup for Ryan MILLER. Mainly because Mika can play better in spot-duty than Marty, who needs two games just to warm up...

He's the only goalie ever to be the Hockey News' prospect of the year, twice...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-10-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sabres keep on marching

There's panic in the state of New York ...

Oh, calm down Rangers fans, your team isn't out of it yet. But there's another New York team that isn't showing any kind of weakness heading into the home stretch: the Buffalo Sabres.

Lindy Ruff's crew is hotter than those suicide wings at Duff's (you locals know what we're talkin' about!) as the Sabres have won seven straight games and are in a tight battle for the Northeast Division lead (and important playoff positioning) with the Ottawa Senators.

We wish we could say that fortunes were the same for Vancouver and Tampa Bay ...

Read on, hockey fans, read on!

SABRES are number TWO on the ESPN NHL power rankings as of week 24

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/powerranking

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good for Buffalo.

Nucks need to put anyone but Morrison on that line.

They have no puck possession. Can't win an offensive face-off if their lives depended on it...especially Morrison.

I still have some faith but it isn't looking good

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dude, are you afraid you might jinx 'em?

Good for the Sabes...and mother FUCK the Bruins and their new douche-bag Adolf Hitler look-alike coach...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
    Dude, are you afraid you might jinx 'em?

Good for the Sabes...and mother FUCK the Bruins and their new douche-bag Adolf Hitler look-alike coach...
    Yeah bro, I watched some of that game until they took the 4-1 lead, and thought was in the bag...

Silly me....

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was reviving this thread regardless, because the Sabes are legit...

I think that Nick doesnt want to jinx them...

That game last night could have been a Bruins telecast from last year...they couldnt hold third period leads then either. And i'm pretty sure that the B's have NEVER won a shootout.

Sorry, this is a Buffalo sports thread isnt it...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Most definitely, the Sabres have "IT" this year....

I can't wait until the Sabres start playing the Pens, talk about some open ice hockey....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, congratulations to the winners of the President's Trophy, the 2006-2007 Buffalo Sabres compiling a 54-21-7 record with 115 pts...

But, does this mean we can't win the Cup?:confused:

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think Buffalo is one of the most exciting teams to watch in the NHL.

BUT...here is another situation where a big fucking asterisk needs to be put beside this President's Cup.

Look at the conference you play in. I guess the Northeast has Ottawa

It just doesn't mean anything anymore, with this ridiculous schedule.

Look at the Canuck's division...Van, Minesota, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton.

In their conference is Detroit, Nashville, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas.

It would have been a complete joke if Detroit would have won the President's cup...with that weak division and the schedule...St. Louis, Columbus, Chicago.

What happened to the history...why is the divison called Northeast? So some casual American fans can make sense of it?

I'd like to see home run contests decide MLB games.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sabres-Penguins in The Ralph a go
    NBC will televise New Year’s Day Ice Bowl

By Tim Graham NEWS SPORTS REPORTER
    Updated: 08/25/07 6:25 AM

Over the past two seasons, the Buffalo Sabres have grown in importance so much their games have become about more than mere hockey. They’re community events.

On New Year’s Day, the party is going to get a whole lot bigger.

The much-talked-about outdoor game between the Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins in Ralph Wilson Stadium finally is a go for 1 p.m. Jan. 1, multiple sources have told The Buffalo News. The game will be nationally televised by NBC.

Sources close to the Sabres claimed the Ice Bowl event was in jeopardy of being scrapped because financing construction and maintenance of an outdoor hockey rink was difficult, but a deal apparently came together this week.

The NHL is expected to make an official announcement Sept. 10 in Buffalo.

NHL spokesman Frank Brown on Friday would not confirm the game had been finalized.

“When and if we have something to announce we’ll make sure it’s announced loudly,” Brown said. The Sabres declined to comment.

Over the past 35 years, the average high temperature in Buffalo has been 38.3 degrees on New Year’s Day. In the past eight years, however, the temperature has reached 50 degrees three times, including a high of 52 this year.

But there are no guarantees when it comes to winter weather in Western New York. The high temperature was a bonenumbing 19 degrees in 1999.

Ralph Wilson Stadium seats 73,967 for football. Crowd capacity for a hockey game, with room for additional field seating, could be greater. It’s unknown if bleachers will be constructed to bring fans closer to the boards.

The Ice Bowl would be the first outdoor NHL game since the Heritage Classic between the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens in November 2003. Despite a minus-18 degree wind chill, 57,167 watched in Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton.

tgraham@buffnews.com

Well, this could be interesting!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bumped....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs up Bills Owner Ralph Wilson, ex-DE Bruce Smith Inducted

Ha! Didn't know ya' bumped it. In any case:

Bruce Smith, Woodson highlight new Hall class

Updated: January 31, 2009, 7:43 PM EST
    131 comments
    TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson and Derrick Thomas, all witnesses for the defense. All Pro Football Hall of Famers.

The three were elected on Saturday along with longtime Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson, who at age 90 will be the oldest person ever inducted; former Minnesota guard Randall McDaniel; and the late Bob Hayes, a standout wide receiver for Dallas and the 1964 Olympic 100 meters gold medalist.

Inductions will be Aug. 8 in Canton, Ohio.

The only candidate among the seven finalists who didn't get in was former Falcons and Eagles defensive end Claude Humphrey.

Former commissioner Paul Tagliabue was denied entry for the third straight year, not even making it past the first round of cuts.

Tagliabue, who retired in 2006 after 17 years in the job, has met strong resistance in his three years of eligibility despite the profitability and labor peace the league enjoyed during his tenure.

No such problem for Smith and Woodson in their first year on the ballot.

"I am overjoyed," said Smith, the career sacks leader who spent most of his career with the Bills.

"It's a great honor, a great feat," said Woodson, the former defensive back who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers, among other teams. "I'm still pinching myself a little bit, thinking it's surreal."

Canton's calling
    Electee

Teams

Position

Bob Hayes

DAL, SF

WR
    Randall McDaniel

MIN, TB

G
    Bruce Smith

BUF, WAS

DE
    Derrick Thomas

KC

LB
    Ralph Wilson

BUF

Owner
    Rod Woodson

PIT, SF, BAL, OAK

S/CB

The moist poignant moment, however, came when Hayes' sister, Lucille Hester, read from a thank-you letter Hayes left in case he made the hall. He died in 2002.

"It didn't matter how long it took. ... The day is here, and it is historic," she said.

A defensive end, Smith retired five years ago with 200 sacks and made two all-decade teams. Drafted No. 1 overall in 1985, Smith had the most seasons with double-digit sacks (13) and the most postseason sacks (14 1/2). He earned defensive player of the year honors in 1990 and 1996 with Buffalo and concluded his 19-season career with four seasons as a Redskin.

Smith previously said making the hall would be a bigger honor if two other Bills, Wilson and wide receiver Andre Reed, also got in the same year. He got half of his wish.

"What a phenomenal class, and especially with having Ralph Wilson, the founding owner of the Buffalo Bills, to be inducted in the '09 class as well," Smith said. "This is truly special."

Then his thoughts turned to his family.

"Just thinking about my father and all the sacrifices he and my mother made when I was a child growing up to be a man," Smith added, tearfully. "How he wanted me to have a life better than he had. I just wish he was here. He would be extremely proud of this day."

Wilson and the Titans' Bud Adams are the only original AFL members who still own their franchises. Their teams will meet in the Hall of Fame game the day after the inductions.

Wilson has steadfastly kept his team in a small market while other owners bolted for the bright lights and big bucks of mega stadiums. He drew the biggest ovation at the announcement and mentioned that he'd seen every hall enshrinee perform at some point.

"Pro football to me is not about making money. It's a matter of competition, the flow of the game," he said. "People in the community become attached to a team. It gives them a quality of life.

"I had a chance to move that team. I think it would be crazy to do that."

Woodson, the 1993 defensive player of the year, also made the 1990s all-decade team. He led the NFL in interceptions in 1999 and 2002 with Baltimore, and in kickoff returns (27.3-yard average) in 1989 with Pittsburgh. He played cornerback and safety for the Steelers, 49ers, Ravens and Raiders in a 17-season career, winning the NFL championship with Baltimore in the 2001 game and making Super Bowls with Pittsburgh and Oakland.

Woodson is the career leader in interception returns for touchdowns with 12.

"I don't think any of us started playing football because we wanted to be in the Hall of Fame," Woodson added. "I started playing football because my brothers played."

Thomas, who died nine years ago after an auto accident while still an active player, also was on the 1990s all-decade team and was the 1989 defensive rookie of the year. He is 11th in career sacks with 126 1/2.

A rushing outside linebacker who also had responsibilities in pass coverage for Kansas City, Thomas set an NFL mark with seven sacks in one game against Seattle on Nov. 11, 1990, a year in which he paced the NFL with 20 sacks.

"Derrick Thomas was the cornerstone of the modern era of the Kansas City Chiefs and one of the most feared performers of his era," Chiefs owner Clark Hunt said. "Every head coach and offensive coordinator who faced the Chiefs during the 1990s knew when they came to Arrowhead Stadium they had to account for Derrick Thomas."

McDaniel was that rare guard as effective in pass protection as run blocking and could handle even the best defensive linemen singlehandedly. He missed only two games in his 14-season career and was yet another member of the 1990s all-decade team.

"Randall was a beast," Smith said. "Once he locked on to you, you couldn't go anywhere."

Hayes was the most dangerous deep threat in pro football from 1965-75. Nicknamed "Bullet Bob," he twice he led the NFL in touchdown catches and in average yards per reception. He also was a brilliant kick returner.

The long wait for Hayes to get into the hall - he was a senior committee choice - had much to do with problems he had off the field.

Hayes served 10 months in a Texas prison after pleading guilty in 1979 to delivering narcotics to an undercover officer. That "destroyed my life" Hayes wrote in his autobiography, "Run, Bullet, Run: The Rise, Fall, and Recovery of Bob Hayes." The prison term ended at about the same time he first became eligible for the hall.

Tagliabue's day still has not arrived. Critics cited his inability to place a team back in Los Angeles after the Rams and Raiders left in 1995, and said the labor agreement he pushed through in 2006 was cast aside by the owners last year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...class?MSNHPHMA

You non-Bills fans, what do you think of WR Andre Reed? He was up and wasn't inducted, but has some solid numbers...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Commentary

Bills grab attention with T.O. signing
    By Jerry Sullivan
    NEWS SPORTS COLUMNIST

Updated: 03/07/09 9:55 PM

It would be easy, of course, to climb up on my soapbox and rip the Bills for this move.

Really, Terrell Owens? Are you kidding me? On Dick Jauron's football team? Terrell Owens, the NFL's most notorious diva, a man who has divided every locker room he's ever set foot in? Terrell Owens, who burns with jealousy over his tight end?

What happened to character, chemistry and camaraderie? Has Ralph Wilson finally gone off the deep end? Would Marv Levy want to be right here, right now? T.O. signing with the Bills is like Rush Limbaugh signing up with the ACLU. It just doesn't fit. It goes against everything the Bills claim to stand for.

You know what, though? I love it. Once I recovered from the initial shock, I realized it was the most interesting thing to happen to the Bills since they acquired Drew Bledsoe in 2002. All right, so that didn't turn out so well in the long run. And yes, this is a desperate move, a sure sign that Jauron, the embattled head coach, needs to win this year and will do anything necessary to get there.

But what the heck. At least they're willing to try something bold and daring. A lot of Bills fans have grown weary of following a team without a real pulse or personality, a team without any distinguishable star power, a franchise that hasn't shot for the moon very often since the Super Bowl years.

Well, no one can say that now. You can't accuse the Bills of being unwilling to sign big-name players, or take a chance on a player with a sketchy history. Owens might be the biggest name of them all right now, a fading superstar who still has the talent and charisma to dominate the American sports pages for days at a time.

It really was amazing after the Cowboys cut him this past week. It was T.O. talk, all the time. Hockey, basketball, spring training, even Alex Rodriguez ... nothing else mattered once Jerry Jones decided he could no longer coexist with Owens. Like a raging house fire, he commands your full attention.

Maybe it'll blow up in the Bills' faces and they'll be the laughingstock of the league. Oh, wait a minute. They already were the joke of the NFL. So what the heck. At least in the short term, signing T.O. makes the Bills relevant again.

For the first time in years, they're a team that makes a nation sit up and watch, a franchise that actually matters.

Why not give it a shot? What do they have to lose? Tranquility and calm in the locker room, among a bunch of nice guys who haven't won a damn thing?

Owens had become a distraction in Dallas. There's no question about that. But it's not as if he was the only problem (Wade Phillips, anyone?). The Cowboys haven't won, despite Jones' money and ambition. So it was a convenient time to make T.O. the villain, just in time for Jones to open his new gridiron palace out in Texas.

At least Owens hasn't been arrested for leaving the scene of an accident or carrying a concealed weapon. Marshawn Lynch should be dancing in his kitchen today. Suddenly, his off- field indiscretions are a mere footnote. By the time Buffalo stops talking about Owens, Lynch will probably be done serving his suspension.

And let's be honest, this makes the Bills better. I'm not sure how much better. Maybe Owens is the difference between 6-10 and 8-8. They still have a lot of holes, an inferior head coach and a much more demanding schedule. But T.O. gives them the viable second receiver they've been seeking, oh, since Peerless Price left Buffalo the first time.

Yes, T.O. is 35 years old, and he isn't the wide receiver he used to be. But he's a lot better than anything else they have. Owens had 69 catches for 1,052 yards and 10 touchdowns last year. That's better than anyone on the Bills last year. Let me elaborate on that: That's more yards and TD catches than Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, James Hardy and Steve Johnson combined last season. If that's the performance of a player in decline, the Bills should get more of them. What, you'd rather cross your fingers and hope Hardy figures out how to run a pass route between now and September?

It could get ugly, sure. One month into the season, the Bills might be 1-3 and Owens might start trashing Trent Edwards for not throwing him the ball enough and Turk Schonert for not getting him enough touches in the offense. There's a history. Just ask Donovan McNabb, or Jeff Garcia, or Tony Romo.

Then imagine this: Lee Evans split out left, Owens out to the right, Josh Reed in the slot. That's what you call an upgrade. They've been in the bottom quarter of the league in offense six years in a row. Maybe mixing in a Hall of Fame wideout will make them average or better. Last season, Edwards went into his first full season as the starter, and they didn't add a receiver of any consequence to help speed his development. It was an outrage, a huge miscalculation. Jauron said before the season they had no choice but to expect solid production from Hardy. They got virtually nothing. They need to find out if Edwards can be a star, and he needs the weapons to do it.

I didn't think they would pay elite money to a second wide receiver. Remember, that's why they let Price go six years ago. But they're only committing one year and $6.5 million to Owens. This doesn't break the bank. Wilson has the money. It gives them a year of cushion while waiting to find out if Hardy and Johnson are genuine NFL options.

Owens hasn't broken any laws. His major crime is one of ego. He has an insatiable need to be the center of attention and the focus of the offense. But in his first year with a new team (Philadelphia, Dallas), he has subjugated his ego to some extent to prove he could be part of a team.

That's likely to be a prime motivation for him now, to prove he can be a team guy on a young team that is learning how to win. Owens is determined to show he's still a difference-maker in the NFL. Jauron is desperate to prove he can be a winning coach. It's an odd marriage, born of necessity and desperation.

Chances are, it'll be a circus. But after nine dreary years, maybe that locker room could use a jolt of personality and life. All I know is it promises to be fun. I never thought I'd say this, but I can hardly wait for minicamp.

jsullivan@buffnews.com

Find this article at: The Buffalo News

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hey Nick...if the Sabres make the playoffs will there be tickets available?

We should go if so.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2019 @ 10:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Good luck, It sounds good on paper, I know. Evans, Reed and T.O should help Edwards tremendously, but......

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFlamma View Post
    Hey Nick...if the Sabres make the playoffs will there be tickets available?

We should go if so.
    The Sabres probably won't make the playoffs, and I doubt tix will be available if they do, but I can check...

Pervert On A Park Bench
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2019 @ 09:50 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I thought this was a thread about The Buffalo Bar in in Las Vegas,
    a well-known hangout for gay guys..........

you queers.

Thread Information