Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Stunning move actually. He had three-years left (at $1M a season?). I think he would have waited, and made them they fired him, like current San DIEGO def. coor. Wade PHILIPS did...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

The next head coach for Buffalo...

Marv Levy...120 years old...

I remember listening to him on ESPN radio last year talking about how he wanted to coach one more time...

and he won't rule himself out...

fucker's 80...

I could see him rollin' for a year...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Bills moving forward after Mularkey quits as coach
        Jan. 13, 2006
        CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Coach Mike Mularkey's abrupt resignation came as a shock to the Buffalo Bills. An even bigger surprise might be who refused to rule himself out as a candidate for the job -- Marv Levy.

A week after taking over as the Bills general manager, and despite owner Ralph Wilson insisting Levy wouldn't be considered to replace Mularkey, the 80-year-old Hall of Fame coach declined to say he wasn't interested.

"I really, sort of, don't even want to comment," Levy said Friday at a news conference. "I can't answer it because I want to talk the whole situation over. But we're going to address it swiftly."

Levy added that he didn't plan on being the coach when he accepted the GM job, but said the situation has changed with Mularkey's unexpected departure.

His comments, however, contradicted what Wilson stated minutes earlier after announcing Mularkey's resignation. Asked whether Levy, who was standing off to the side, would be a candidate, Wilson said: "Absolutely not."

Wilson had a chance to restate his position after listening to Levy, but declined to do so.

Marv Levy, who led the Bills to four straight Super Bowls, is the team's new general manager. (AP)
        What might seem curious to those hearing Levy contradict his boss is becoming par for the course for an operation that can't get its story straight since Wilson fired president/general manager Tom Donahoe last week.

Upon luring Levy out of retirement, Wilson and Levy couldn't agree on a title before eventually settling on general manager/football operations.

Now comes Mularkey's resignation, which came eight days after Wilson said Mularkey would return.

Something changed, Wilson said, when Mularkey first approached him Wednesday to inform the owner of his intention to resign.

The two met again Thursday when Wilson accepted Mularkey's resignation.

"Of course I was completely surprised by his statement. He seemed very firm about it," Wilson said. "It's an abrupt setback. But we're going to move forward."

Wilson said Mularkey expressed concern about Bills fans who criticized him last year.
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Bills moving forward after Mularkey quits as coach

And despite Wilson's assurances, Mularkey's future beyond next season remained in doubt. Mularkey dismissed five assistants last week and his uncertain status made it difficult for the coach to hire experienced replacements.

Mularkey was 14-18 in two seasons and had three years left on his contract. The move leaves the Bills searching for their third coach in five years.

Not known is why Mularkey didn't raise his concerns after he met with Wilson twice last week.

"I did not reach this decision lightly," Mularkey said in a statement released by the Bills. "But after much thought, I have concluded that for my own personal reasons and in the best interests of my family, on balance, outweigh any future benefits that may accrue to me by continuing in this position."

Mularkey did not return a message left by the Associated Press.

Wilson and Levy declined to list any potential candidates or provide details as to the type of coach they're seeking.

Among the early front-runners -- besides, perhaps, Levy -- are Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray, who completed his fifth season with Buffalo; recently fired New Orleans coach Jim Haslett; Dick Jauron, Detroit's interim coach; and Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Haslett has ties to the Bills, a former linebacker who played for the team from 1979-85.

Reached by telephone Friday, Haslett said he's interested but has not yet been contacted.

"Obviously, I have great interest in the job, there's lot of good things about it," Haslett said. "I know the organization, I know Mr. Wilson. And it's a great place to live."

Mularkey's resignation, while unusual, is not unprecedented. Bobby Ross abruptly walked out as the Detroit Lions' coach midway through the 2000 season. Former Bills coach Lou Saban twice quit on the team in the 1960s and early 1970s.

A former NFL tight end, Mularkey was a first-time head coach who joined Buffalo after serving as the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator. In his first season, the Bills rebounded from a 1-5 start to finish 9-7.

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Ralph Wilson Stadium will be renamed Geriatric Park next year.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Maybe the Bills will sign Jerry Rice...

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

He's too busy on Dancing With the Stars.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                  The next head coach for Buffalo...

Marv Levy...120 years old...

I remember listening to him on ESPN radio last year talking about how he wanted to coach one more time...

and he won't rule himself out...

fucker's 80...

I could see him rollin' for a year...
                  He's out of his mind, and a lot of people are pretty pissed here, myself included.

I swear to god, and I'm not making this up, I had a dream this morning that LEVY was on the sidelines of a BILLS game.

The dude's 80! He was basically forced to resign the first time around because the team was losing it's best "no-huddle" guys. So he's the answer??

But I really don't think they'll let him coach, in fact, I think WILSON brought him back as community relations and to deflect criticism that he's a big cheapskate (which is one of the reasons BILL POLIAN left) and has been all along. I think, but can't be sure yet, that TOM MODRAK is the real power behind the BILLS Front-office. But LEVY is sort of a 'grand old man' of a human shield... A nostalgic trip down (selective) memory lane. People forget that LEVY was overrated in many ways, and fucked up at least two Superbowls we could have won. He largely let the players and assistants run the team. Well, he had some great players, and lackluster assistants...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Maybe the Bills will sign Jerry Rice...
                    Maybe Terry BRADSHAW is the answer at quarterback?

Fuck, maybe they'll dig up RED GRANGE...

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      Maybe Terry BRADSHAW is the answer at quarterback?

Fuck, maybe they'll dig up RED GRANGE...
                      Bradshaw's too busy asking Deion Sanders which three people in history he'd like to have over for dinner (Redd Foxx, Bill Cosby and Richard Pryor), and whether he prefers extra crispy or original KFC.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Is Bradshaw at this stage of the game...

really that much worse than Losman and Holcomb?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

"Wilson said Mularkey expressed concern about Bills fans who criticized him last year."

Well boo-hoo MIKE. Maybe if you didn't have some special fucking trick play every game that you could call at the most inappropriate possible moment, and actually handed the ball off to get an actual running game going? And gee, if you didn't play rotating QB because your damn veterans think they can make the Superbowl with KELLY HOLCOMB, potentially endangering any chance that J.P. LOSMAN might actually develop into a starting-NFL QB?

"This really takes the sails out of your wind." --Mike Mularkey...
                          Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-13-2006, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Is Bradshaw at this stage of the game...

really that much worse than Losman and Holcomb?
                            LMAO Probably not much worse. There's a sliver of hope with LOSMAN, but I'm losing patience. Maybe if DONAHOE actually tried to get a real O-line together that didn't feature Mike WILLIAMS, fast becoming the largest bust in franchise history, I'd be a little more optimistic...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

I agree...any coach that bitches about the fucking fans...

needs to be nursemaiding babies in the faggot wing of the hospital...

and when are teams going to realize that the anchor of any good team...is the offensive line...and consistency...

look at every good team...

ever...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

I don't know what to think of Losman...he shows flashes of moxie...

we'll see for sure next year...

reminds me a bit of Plummer...

Comment

Working...