Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Cool A Studio for the Coolest Guy in the Room

A Studio for the Coolest Guy in the Room

By ROBIN FINN

Published: December 16, 2005

LIVE large. Vent large. David Lee Roth, attired in several layers of urban black outerwear and very much at home in this penthouse suite at the W New York hotel, is doing both. And no, that's not the air-conditioning that's inexplicably cranked up: He has, on purpose, left the door to the patio wide open to admit the frigid evening air. Bracing! Similar to a large dose of him.

No wonder the prognosticators at Infinity Broadcasting are giving Diamond Dave with his singular pair of lungs - he calls his voice the audio version of ripped, wrinkled and rowdy vintage blue jeans or, in Japanese: wabi-sabi - a crack at reinventing himself next month behind a microphone in Howard Stern's kingless kingdom.

"The Hollander brothers are adventurous, danger-loving visionaries for hiring a guy like me," Mr. Roth announces. "I'm getting total control! Such an aberration in this industry! As an artist, this is a pre-eminent performance!" (Yes, he's excited about the new job.)

Would it be uncool to ask how come the wintry temperature en suite? Or to ask why the heck the former mouthpiece of Van Halen, the now-estranged assemblage known for hits like "Jump," "Panama" and "Runnin' With the Devil," slaps on a baseball cap and a moderately menacing headset before he acquiesces to having his picture taken? Maybe, but who cares? Not him. Turns out he is a tad sensitive about his unkempt mousy brown hair; the headset is a leftover from helicopter flying today in proud pursuit of a pilot's license he has craved since he read and watched "M*A*S*H."

Between bouts of self-generated hysteria - refreshing to see a guy from the jaded, celebrity side of the coin still able to get such a kick out of himself - he is a virtual open book, and even offers up, unsolicited, his bedside manner: "It's not who you sleep with," warns the never-married Mr. Roth, "it's who wants to sleep with you again." No fooling.

Best to get back to the weather in here. The patio door to the Great Outdoors is open because Mr. Roth, effervescent and vociferously verbal at 51 despite being 20 years past his rock-star prime, is a fresh air freak, even with the temperature hovering at freezing. Press him and he is liable to display slides of his treks to the Himalayas, New Guinea and other exotic spots.

To fend off the chill, his sips from a glass mug of black coffee are interspersed with giddier gulps from a tiny bottle of Courvoisier: Mr. Roth is no stranger to the joys of minibars. Besides, he has protocol on his side: "Oh please, it's Happy Hour," he rasps.

It is terminally clear who the coolest person in the room is: him, even if he did chop off his peroxide gold, titan-of-old-school-rock mane last year when the enlistment bug hit and he joined up, in quasi-anonymity, as an emergency medical technician. Talk about your unanticipated career segue. Now, he's metamorphosing again. Only this time, he's banking on his rocker reputation and talk is his new currency.

Same voice: "I think I'm the one single voice who has united the liberal left with the Nascar voting bloc," he says of the audience for his music, which encompasses six multiplatinum Van Halen albums and eight solo releases. Different gig: Mr. Roth is just a few weeks from taking over what he describes as "the hottest seat in American radio," Mr. Stern's at WXRK-FM, a job for which he deems himself uniquely qualified: Sure he can sing, but as a conversationalist, just wait, he will knock your socks off.

Not to digress - a specialty of Mr. Roth's, whose conversation has much in common with a ricocheting bullet - but his willingness to ingratiate himself with his not-as-hip interlocutor is less flattering than might be expected.

"Come on, I can bond with a fire hydrant," he says, explaining his faith in his conversational prowess. "I can interview a Dalmatian," he adds. "It's about the capacity to entertain, like at a really good Algonquin table. I've got a fourth-degree black belt in conversation; I think in bold caps!" Obviously.

HE is not, by the way, out to attempt anything so gauche as to replace Mr. Stern. "I'm not the new Howard," Mr. Roth says. "Your editorial bias is entirely based on your memories, and I couldn't think of more diverse backgrounds than between the two of us. The only thing I have distinctly in common with Howard is a wicked sense of humor. And Hanukkah."

Mr. Roth grew up in Indiana, and after his father attended medical school on the G.I. Bill, the family moved to Pasadena, Calif., where he encountered the Van Halen brothers and attended integrated schools, his explanation for cultivating a voice that "on a good day sounds like it belongs to a 75-year-old black guy." Muhammad Ali, James Brown and Errol Flynn (because he always got the girl) were templates; so was the Scarecrow from "The Wizard of Oz." Mr. Roth, who has an East Side apartment and an East Village office, values his brain.

His 6-to-10-a.m. slot starts Jan. 3 at the newly dubbed FREE FM, his home studio in New York City. (The first guest is his Uncle Manny Roth, who ran the storied Cafe Wha in Greenwich Village.) His only diva-esque request for revamping Mr. Stern's space was the installation of a 10-by-10-foot patch of parquet floor. He is an incorrigible pacer - "I call it Dave's famous walk to nowhere" - and plans to do his show standing up. Wearing army boots.

Go figure.

link
    Same ole song and dance...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think that's the thinnest I've seen Dave in 25 years. He needs a good woman like me to cook for him.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lmao "i can bond with a fire hydrant....i can interview a dalmation....i think in bold caps". Classic Rothisms! Man oh man Dave is going to kick some serious radiio ass! Hope it gets streamed so the NASCAR crowd can hear it. Thanks for the great interview.

Cunning Linguist
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    thanks for the read........

yep, sounds like he's gonna kick some ass allright!
    "Hear that O.F.? If old school Army gals with solid track records of contribution choose to bless us with their tits, ass, vagina, or just sexy eye shots, leave them be (at least until I've had a chance to rub one out)..."
    That is all.
    Icon.

"we've always known that van hagar fans are the stupidest people on the planet but my god! "

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A Studio for the Coolest Guy in the Room
    AWESOME! This is gonna be a good time! !! !!!DT

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...problem is that productivity in the world will drop in the mornings! However ... after everyone unglues their ears from the radio ... the afternoon activity level will be lifted! !! !!!DT
    Last edited by Douglas T.; 12-16-2005 at 09:11 AM.

Sasquatch Hunter
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great post NG!

You and Dave Rock!
    23. That's the number of people Mr. T has pitied in the time it has taken you to read this sentence.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    his explanation for cultivating a voice that "on a good day sounds like it belongs to a 75-year-old black guy."
    LMAO!!!

He may have a big ego, but he has firm grasp of reality it appears!

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Will Dave be on in the DC area?

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nice find NG!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks Northern Girl! Dave's gonna do alright, you watch!

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    GRATE STUFF!!!

the legend...
    Originally posted by Cato
    Golden, why are you FAT?
    Originally posted by lesfunk
    Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Northern Girl
    I think that's the thinnest I've seen Dave in 25 years. He needs a good woman like me to cook for him.
    and then I'll help him "work it off".
    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't wait for all those fuckers who criticize Dave by calling him a washed up rock star to eat fucking crow.

Dave has his "things to do" list and he is checking stuff off as he goes through life. That in itself is just awesome! I hope I get to that point in my life. I'm just thrilled for him.

I was just listening to part of his show from Boston (from this spring) and he is so cool to listen to. He's got so much going on in his mind and he is so friggin' happy.

Look at that grin. It's REAL!

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...plans to do his show standing up. Wearing army boots...

AWWW-REEET!
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nice to hear a few words from Dave - they've been so few and far between. I bet that will change now though.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    thanks NG!!! great read...and am I wrong but is there a journalist really POSITIVE about dave's attitude and his new gig????
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can't wait to hear this stuff...
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sorry about my thread duplicate, by the way...

I couldn't help but notice the snide comments littered throughout the article such as this:

Not to digress - a specialty of Mr. Roth's, whose conversation has much in common with a ricocheting bullet - but his willingness to ingratiate himself with his not-as-hip interlocutor is less flattering than might be expected.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks NG for a Grate read.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Loons The Great
    Nice work, NG!!!!!!
    Great article!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by diamondsgirl
    I can't wait for all those fuckers who criticize Dave by calling him a washed up rock star to eat fucking crow.

Dave has his "things to do" list and he is checking stuff off as he goes through life. That in itself is just awesome! I hope I get to that point in my life. I'm just thrilled for him.

I was just listening to part of his show from Boston (from this spring) and he is so cool to listen to. He's got so much going on in his mind and he is so friggin' happy.

Look at that grin. It's REAL!
    Well said....We Get It...We Get Roth....those who criticize don't have a clue.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ROTH Rocks and so will his Radio Show.....and this ARMY is way ahead of the game....we say it with our Army Boots on !
    "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Dog Killer
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope Dave show to be better received than the Stern one
    Bastardog

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can not wait to listen in dave is gunna kick some ass. I hope he gets some old Van Halen rodies in for a chat. Id love to hear a guest spot with the likes of seve vai too !!!! THAT would be cool

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    im in la...and all i get is fuckin adam carolla
    Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by spmusicplyr
    im in la...and all i get is fuckin adam carolla
    WXRK (Dave's station in NY) is going to be streamed on the Internet, so you WILL hear it live (if you get up to east coast time). We have to hear Dave's first day on the air w/his Uncle Manny.

I won't even listen to 97.1 in the mornings anymore..what for? Carolla will put me to sleep on the freeway....listening to him will be worse than being in stand still traffic (yawn)....except for Tom Leykis for the commute home

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by doctor roth
    I can not wait to listen in dave is gunna kick some ass. I hope he gets some old Van Halen rodies in for a chat. Id love to hear a guest spot with the likes of seve vai too !!!! THAT would be cool
    Sat for a while on the tailgate chatting with one of DAVE's roadies names AUNDRE! He was very nice! Gathered up some guitar picks for a few of us! He says "I just don't understand why you guys want to sit out here all day to try to meet DAVE!?" A few seasons later we learn that Aundre was a good long time roadie/friend of DAVES and that he had passed away! Sad news ... Andre you was kind as can be! Bless ya! Later that day we ended up buggin' DAVE as he tried to make his way into the soundcheck! Big Ed says no autographs, no picture blah blah blah! There was ten of us max there! dave signed a few things nonetheless for me and one other fan!
    Steve Vai was another day ... same parking lot! I think that is who told us about Andre. I don't think he would entertain the idea of being on Dave's show! !! !!!DT

http://hometown.aol.com/dtskynyrd/my...e/extreme.html

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Excellent post NG. DLR will be a Killer on the airwaves.
    It's going to be BIG!
    Hope we can get him up in Canada.

the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i cant wait til jan 3rd every morning i plan on waking up to dave
    R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am studying the rules of english, memorizing pages from insult generators and re-learning how to read the dictionary in anticipation of flame wars with sternsheeps (which I think we should affectionately refer to as "shteeps") - think I might be a target? hmmmmm.....

Thread Information