Thread: Two NBC Affiliates Throw the Book at 'Daniel'

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Question Two NBC Affiliates Throw the Book at 'Daniel'

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (Jan. 5) - Two NBC affiliates in Arkansas and Indiana are turning the page on upcoming series "The Book of Daniel," which has been drawing criticism for its portrayal of Christianity.

The series depicts an Episcopalian minister, played by Aidan Quinn, struggling with an addiction to Vicodin, among other problems in his diocese. Jesus is actually a character on the series, depicted in imagined conversations with the minister.

Last month, the conservative American Family Assn. began calling on affiliates and advertisers to bail out of "Daniel." Many stations have been flooded with e-mails and calls from viewers objecting to the series.

KARK-TV in Little Rock, Ark., and WTWO-TV in Terre Haute, Ind., announced Wednesday they would pre-empt "Daniel," when it premieres Friday at 9 p.m. Both are owned by Nexstar Broadcasting Group,

KARK-TV declined to air "Daniel" citing "careful consideration" of viewer feedback. Little Rock's WB affiliate, KWBF-TV, will air "Daniel" instead.

However, WTWO general manager Duane Lammers said he is not pre-empting "Daniel" due to its content but rather to protest what he views as the networks' strong-arm approach to affiliates, as well inconsistent federal oversight of indecent content.

"This has nothing to do with the program and has nothing to do with the AFA," Lammers said. "I think the system is screwed up. I think the network thinks we are going to do whatever they tell us to do. I think the regulatory environment is flawed."

The network stands by the series, according to Vivi Zigler, executive vp current programming at NBC Entertainment, who cautioned not to judge the series on the basis of promotions for the show.

"People are reacting based on not having seen it," she said. "They're seeing the advertising, not seeing what the core of the show is."

Jack Kenny, executive producer of "Daniel," dismissed claims that the series is anti-Christian. "We are not in any way satirizing Christianity or Jesus," he said. "It's done with love, honoring those things."

But Lammers isn't taking exception with "Daniel." Rather, he is using the pre-emption to air multiple grievances with industry practice -- especially network-affiliate relations.

"We are not in any way satirizing Christianity or Jesus. It's done with love, honoring those things."
    -Jack Kenny, Executive Producer of 'The Book of Daniel'

"In the last few years, the networks have responded in a unilateral manner in their treatment of affiliates, whether it's about compensation, exclusivity or other issues," he said. "I am now reaffirming my right to treat them unilaterally."

Lammers also decried what he sees as a double standard in the lack of content regulation regarding cable. "I'm saying the regulatory atmosphere is unfair," he said. "If this gives me a chance to talk about it, that's fair."

WTWO is alone so far in its pre-emption of "Daniel," but other affiliates wrestled with the decision.

"There's been an enormous amount of discussion about the show," said Steve Poulsen, vp marketing at KSL-TV, NBC's affiliate in Salt Lake City. "This one happens to have religious overtones to it and is causing a little stir. We determined on this one to let the viewers determine the success or failure of this show."

KSL, which caters to a heavily Mormon viewership, has not been shy about joining the small group of stations that have pre-empted NBC programming in the recent past. Among the NBC series that have been yanked in recent years, include "Coupling," "God, the Devil and Bob," and "Stressed Eric."

Lammers, who also serves as executive vp and chief operating officer of WTWO parent company Nexstar Broadcasting Group, is known for taking aggressive stands on behalf of his company. He pulled multiple Nexstar-owned stations off Cox Communications and Cable One cable systems for most of 2005 in order to negotiate cash for carriage -- an unprecedented arrangement. Both operators settled with Nexstar late last year.

WTVO, which is the 150th-largest television market in the U.S., will air theatrical "Simon Birch" instead of back-to-back episodes of "Daniel."

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I think it is a hilarious concept.

If you want to know who in this country are a bunch of backwoods, ignorant hillbillies, just find the affiliates that are cancelling the show.

The NBC affiliate in Wichita, Kansas is doing so (KSNW).

Thank God I moved away from that fucking cesspool of ignorant and uptight religious zealots. The city can appear at times to be fairly modern, but the attitudes held by the municipal leadership there date from the late 1800s.

Stoopid fuckers.

IF "God" is so strong and invincible, what are those fucking idiots worried about?

Ooooh....Jesus is riding in a car talking to a minister about his pill habit.

How is that blasphemy?

Buncha dumbasses...

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Hardrock69

Ooooh....Jesus is riding in a car talking to a minister about his pill habit.

How is that blasphemy?

Buncha dumbasses...
    Good question, My son.

Though I am a little disappointed that they didn't ask Me to portray Myself

GOOD GOD, YA'LL
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jesus, shouldn't you be over in Israel telling Sharon "I told ya so" ?
    Eat Us and Smile!
    Alright!!! Lemme' se yo hands!!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...I just watched the CNN story on Yahoo...what a bunch of dumbasses. Rev. Donald Wildmon (right up there with Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell--the REAL one in the piece of shit brigade )claiming there's a "Far-reaching anti-christian sentiment"....no dude, it's an anti-ZEALOT sentiment...

I was gonna check it out, then I saw Bo Bice is playing Jesus...Oy.
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm sick to death of fucking dicksucking religious zealots and their cocksucking, right wing, agenda!!!!

GO FUCKING DIE! And don't be shcoked when there's no pearly gates at the end of your fucking trip! Just an eternity of NOTHING awaits your racist, homophobic, intollerant of any opinion other than your's ass!!!!

I think that sums up how I feel about them.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
    I'm sick to death of fucking dicksucking religious zealots and their cocksucking, right wing, agenda!!!!

GO FUCKING DIE! And don't be shcoked when there's no pearly gates at the end of your fucking trip! Just an eternity of NOTHING awaits your racist, homophobic, intollerant of any opinion other than your's ass!!!!

I think that sums up how I feel about them.

LMAO

OK, but tell us how you really feel.....

...And HERE's a legitimate question: have these asshats even SEEN the show, or are they just reacting out of ignorance as usual?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...Reminds me of something a nun once told me "I don't need to see/hear it to know it's wrong"....Ok, but you DO need to if you'd like to make an INFORMED decision...stupid.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by jhale667
    LMAO

OK, but tell us how you really feel.....

...And HERE's a legitimate question: have these asshats even SEEN the show, or are they just reacting out of ignorance as usual?
    I'll guarantee you they haven't seen it. They never do. They hear about something and then just react. I think it says in the article that one guy hadn't seen it.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Re-read it and yes, it does say they haven't seen it (sorry, speed-reading--and typing--at work), which just goes to reiterate my nun comment...they don't think they NEED to see it, they know what's best for all the rest of us...their penchant for wanting to control IDEAS infuriates me. They can tell stories of god appearing to people as a fricking flaming TREE, but the concept of Jesus riding in a car talking to a priest? Blasphemy!

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by jhale667
    They can tell stories of god appearing to people as a fricking flaming TREE, but the concept of Jesus riding in a car talking to a priest? Blasphemy!
    Indeed, My son.

Their problem is that in their attempt to take every word of the Scriptures literally, they often miss what was really said.

For example, did I not tell My disciples that "whenever two or more of you shall gather together in My name, there I will be also".

Now this did not mean that I would physically walketh the earth with them, as I cannot do that until My official return. Nor do I actually drop in and chat with My disciples in person. Even the priests. Verily, it is symbolic of a man praying and then feeling as though he hath recieved an answer from Me.

Pat Robertson and the Son of Bush claim they talk to Me all the time, yet these critics do not question them.

Yet anyone who knows My teachings knoweth that Pat and George must be talking to someone else.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh it's worse than that....They can accept and brush under the carpet all kinds of sexual abuse, and ripping people off of their hard earned money, and treating women like grabage, but they don't want anyone to watch a tv show or hear evil rock music, or look at naked women...

Fucking hypocritical cunts!

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A Cha-cha cha!!!!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The purpose of the "portrayal" of Jesus in this is that "this is Jesus as the Reverend thinks he would be".

This is an old plot device.

Kyle McClachlen starred as Cary Grant in a film a few years back about a couple of rump-rangers. One of them talked to Cary Grant all the time seeking advice, but nobody else could see Cary but the one guy.

The best movie using that plot device I think is "Play It Again Sam" with Woody Allen talking to his imaginary friend, Humphrey Bogart.

It is the droolingly fanatical zealots who give religion a bad name.

If people could just shut up and worship God instead of wasting their time trying to tell everyone how they should live their lives, the world might be a better place.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 01-07-2006 at 03:22 AM.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Tolerance.....such an easy concept...yet so difficult to practice.....

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's the deal:

THE SHOW FUCKING SUCKS

The end.

It's not funny, it's not amusing. It's not even barely laughable. I watched the first hour, since It'd been hyped to death and was bored to fucking tears after about 20 minutes. I sat out the rest of the hour, but apart from a good cast that does nothing amusing, humorous or even remotely attention-grabbing, there's nothing to it.

B-O-R-I-N-G.

I could give a shit about the "religious implications"....it's just a shitty show and if the debut was any indication, it'll probably be cancelled inside of a month or two anyway.

One can hope.
    Twistin' by the pool.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LMFAO!!!

Now Jesus will be blamed for bad acting as well....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 01-07-2006 at 05:24 PM.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Double post?

Last edited by Hardrock69; 01-07-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Too bad they will not show Jesus having a beer and then burping afterwards....

Better yet, show him haning out on a street corner with a ho' getting high....

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They should cast Dave as "Jesus' Father" for the season finale.

That would be, as they say, VERY KICK ASS.

Thread Information