Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Official NFL Playoffs Thread...

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That gay Ohio State thread was stickied for a week without a response...someone is dropping the ball here.

I think I need to start a thread in the SAMFBC bitching about the mods in this forum...

(ive been drinking tonight...)
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shouldn't you be getting ready for Red Sox season ??
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by MAX
    Hey, same goes with everyone regarding my Broncos. Now they only beat The Pats cos of poor officiating. Had nothing to do with them as a team.

Neither did their thirteen regular season wins.
    Um...if everyone was going against the Broncos...wouldn't that make them the underdogs in Vegas?

yes...

and last I knew...they are the favorites...aren't they?
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was about to sticky this you homosexual...

until you made the fucking Ohio State comment....

you drunk prick...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Stickied! Now it's right next to, uh, um, well, the soccer thread.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    Shouldn't you be getting ready for Red Sox season ??
    Well, now that Theo is back and the Red Sox ship has righted itself (yeah, sure) I suppose I will...

Now that you mention it, the first vendors meeting is in about a month and a half...giddyup!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who stickied the fucking Soccer thread anyways...

what the fuck is this forum...

the World's Locker Room????

WTF...

we don't GIVE A SHIT ABOUT SOCCER...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm gonna' start a "The Hottest 6'4" WNBA Lesbian" thread.

Can't I have a sticky?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    Who stickied the fucking Soccer thread anyways...
    I would never rat on any of my fellow mods...

But I can tell you it wasn't me....

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    I would never rat on any of my fellow mods...

But I can tell you it wasn't me....

Guess that leaves that butt dart AL.

Figures.

And why the FUCK would you need to STICKY this thread?

As if......

I'd bump this bitch on a daily basis if need be just to remind you worthless stumps who's at HOME this week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh

WNBA Lesbian

The epitome of "redundant"

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental

I think I need to start a thread in the SAMFBC bitching about the mods in this forum...

Don't forget to mention I haven't started a thread in Fan Forum in over a week....

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And that is what's called a HAT TRICK in thread spamming...

3 unanswered useless faggot posts from me in a row......

Go Hawks.

[ I hit the bottle and the ganj early today, too ]

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by LoungeMachine
    And that is what's called a HAT TRICK in thread spamming...

3 unanswered useless faggot posts from me in a row......
    Like I already didn't have 25 other reasons why to can you as a mod...

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Like I already didn't have 25 other reasons why to can you as a mod...
    LMMFAO

I'll drink to that.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Um...if everyone was going against the Broncos...wouldn't that make them the underdogs in Vegas?

yes...

and last I knew...they are the favorites...aren't they?
    No, that wasn't my point. Everyone I know (as always) including a lot of the media doesn't ever give them a chance. It's always "they don't have a team" or "they lucked out" never any credit for how, why and what they accomplish.

One dude was already telling me that we should feel so lucky that Pitts knocked off The Colts for us cos that now gived us a "better chance."

I'm like WTF??? A "better chance?" Now we're playing the team WHO FUCKING BEAT THE COLTS!!!

Dunno if that makes any sense?
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Aiiight Poj,

One of your old boys just summed it up perfectly.

Mr. Rod Woodson just said that Denver 'tis a team that has flown under the radar all season long and nobody paid any attention to them. It was Indy this, Kansas City that and San Diego this... Yet, there they (Denver) were winning game after game and now they're one game away from The Super Bowl.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
    Dude. Find where I said that they lost because of poor officiating. I went out of my way to make sure the first thing I said was that the Broncos deserved to win.

What dont you get here?

Or are you just trying the 'can't get no respect' angle?
    PA,

I wasn't yappin' about you at all. I guess I just vent on here after all of the arguing I do at work and with people I know.

I could give a fuck about "respect" cos the only way that's earned 'tis by winning it all.

So seriously, I apologize for even insinuating yourself with those comments.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by MAX
    Aiiight Poj,

One of your old boys just summed it up perfectly.

Mr. Rod Woodson just said that Denver 'tis a team that has flown under the radar all season long and nobody paid any attention to them. It was Indy this, Kansas City that and San Diego this... Yet, there they (Denver) were winning game after game and now they're one game away from The Super Bowl.
    Now I don't mean to throw this out there...

but if Denver was flying under the radar at 13-3 (and I know...I've been hearing this a lot from the Denver fans this year...and yeah...I have TO damn many friends that are Bronco fans), which is a bit ridiculous by the way (I'll get to that in a moment), THAN the Steelers were OFF the radar...in particular, after they lost 3 in a row...

Now...I can tell you this...

the Colts and the Patriots were the big blips on the radar...BECAUSE THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN!!! The Pats...being the 2 time defending champs...have a place in all this...and the Colts...starting off 13-0...well..that's more or less a story in itself...don't you think?

The Broncs...and some media are saying how the Broncs are far under the media watch...but I've heard the "When will Plummer explode," "Plummer has turned the corner," "Look at all those Browns playing well on the DLine," "Wonderful Offensive Line always," "Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Ron Dayne," as much as ANY story in football.

You see...the Steelers on a place of importance...were located somewhere behind Cincinnati...and above...well...maybe Jax...

Pittsburgh only won against Cincy because of Palmer being hurt...

Pittsburgh only won against Indy because (insert any of Peyton's excuses)...

But when it's all said and done...that's the media talking. The bottom line here is what the coaches think...and I can guarantee you...there isn't a coach planning in either AFC locker room that thinks the "other team" flew under the radar. To be honest here Max...which team...in the back of their minds...might be saying..."I'm glad it's them, and not..."

and which team is just damn glad to be showing their chops?

Seriously?

If there is a team that's realistically feeling like they aren't getting their props...I'm guessing it's the team that made it to the Championship game last year...and have since been forgotten because they don't have a flashy receiver...or primary running back that actually started in college...or an overly dominant line...or a QB with experience...or a coach that wins the big game...or a secondary that's second rate...or an aging DLine...or overrated linebackers...or 'can't win 3 on the road to get to the Super Bowl..."

You know...the actual dogs in this game...

So...flying under the radar is really a state of mind for the media to banter about...

because trust me on this...there isn't a team on the planet that has a bigger chip on their shoulder than the team that lost to Indy last week because there's no way in hell they could win...

oh wait...they did...

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ok and fair enough with a lot of what you just said.

However, once The Steelers started gaining a bit of momentum, all of "The Bus will make his final stop in his hometown" talk began. I'll also agree about Indy. Fuck, I argue with so many people about that one it's ridicules.

Indy already thought they won The Super Bowl prior to the regular season's conclusion.

Trust me cos I take NOTHING away from Pittsburgh. They are one heck of a team and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't scared shitless this week playing them. They got it going on and especially with all of this "road team" stuff.

Of course I think The Broncos are saying "I'm glad it's Ptts and not Indy" cos it's now at home.

Regardless and from my point of view, this is becoming one of those "what if?" scenerios. Both Pitts and Den are pretty well matched up equally on both sides of the ball. So, who's to say that had The Steelers lost to Indy that we couldn't have knocked them off ourselves in the dome? I mean, they've been our playoff monkey for two years now. The talk this week 'tis reminding me of when we played ATL instead of The Viqueens in '98.

Fuck, ATL beat the shit out of Cunningham, Moss, Carte and co, yet we (Bronco fans) got the "Oh, you got lucky" bullshit.

Now, back to Pittsburgh...

They had that stellar season last year so they've gotten more credit and rightfully so this season. I just keep hearin' Donkey's this and what have you. You know?

Regardless, I respect the fuck out of Pittsburgh and what they did last week 'tis and will be truly legendary. My hats off to them.

I think this Sunday cannot fucking get here soon enough.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by MAX

One dude was already telling me that we should feel so lucky that Pitts knocked off The Colts for us cos that now gived us a "better chance."

I'm like WTF??? A "better chance?" Now we're playing the team WHO FUCKING BEAT THE COLTS!!!

Hey, where have Pat's fans heard something like this before?...hmmmm...let me think...

Oh, I know! The Pats were lucky in '01 because the Jags beat Denver!

(not saying anyone here ever said that, but its a common theme that Pats fans face...)

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Broncos, Steelers will put game in backs' hands
    Jan. 20, 2006
    By Pete Prisco
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

How the Broncos will win ... They will run it. And run it. And run it. Or at least try to run it. The Broncos finished the season ranked second in the league in rushing. They make no secret about what they want to do.

The problem is the Steelers present a tough run defense. They finished third in the league in that category, but a closer look at the numbers shows they were better than that. Their 3.4 yards per rush was the best in the NFL.

The Broncos love to use that cutback style, one that includes chop blocks on the linemen, to create cracks for their runners. Mike Anderson would seem to be more plodder than speed guy, which isn't what you want against the Steelers. That's why the feeling here is that Tatum Bell will be the big runner in this game. If that's to happen, center Tom Nalen needs a big game against Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton. That's the best matchup to watch in the battle of the two lines.

If the Broncos can run the ball, it will take a lot of pressure off of Jake Plummer. He can't be asked to win the game with his arm. If he is, that's when mistakes happen. This season he has avoided making them, so that will be key here. His mobility could be important against the Steelers pass rush.

On defense, look for the Broncos to load up to stop the run. With Champ Bailey outside at corner, they can afford to bring their safeties down; look for John Lynch and Nick Ferguson near the line of scrimmage.

Pittsburgh was wise last week to throw against the Colts early, but the Broncos are more suited to combating that. The Denver defensive line has played the run well, and the linebackers are as fast as any group in the league. The one thing the defense lacks is a pass rusher. If the Broncos can't put the Steelers in obvious passing situations, it could be tough to get to Ben Roethlisberger.

How the Steelers will win ... It's easy to say they want to pound the ball, but after what they did to the Colts last week, that's not such a sure thing.

Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt was aggressive early against the Colts, which surprised a lot of people. Don't be shocked to see him do that again. He knows he'll likely have single coverage outside against the Denver corners, giving Roethlisberger chances to make throws down the field.

The question is whether the Steelers receivers have enough big-play ability to beat the single coverage. Hines Ward is a good player, but he's not a burner. Look for Bailey on him a bunch. Once the passing game makes things happen, the Steelers will go back to the run. They did that against the Colts in the second half. It's what they live to do. But it also allowed the Colts to get back into the game, so they have to be careful if they're in the same situation.

You don't want to put this all on Roethlisberger, but it might come to that. If so, we'll find out just how far he has come since losing the AFC title game to the Patriots last year.

On defense, the Steelers will come after Plummer. They did it well last week against the Colts. They made Peyton Manning jumpy and they made the Colts offensive line look lost.

The Broncos will have to be prepared for all kinds of blitzes. Pittsburgh defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will come after Plummer in passing situations. That will put pressure on a secondary that struggled at times, but played well last week. If they can hold up against Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie, the Steelers should be able to create some turnovers against Plummer. But if he gets going, finding open receivers, it will be his game.

The Steelers can play any kind of game, which is a tribute to their coaches. They can run it or they can play up-tempo. The feeling here is that we will see more points from the Steelers and the Broncos in this one. If so, the Steelers are more than capable of keeping up.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Panthers' playmakers or Seahawks' stars -- take your pick
    Jan. 20, 2006
    By Clark Judge

Prisco on AFC Championship Game
    How the Panthers will win ... They continue to put the ball in Steve Smith's hands.

Let's face it, without DeShaun Foster the Panthers lose something. Sure, Nick Goings had five 100-yard games last year, but there's a reason he runs with the third team. He's simply not as talented as Foster. So Carolina's rushing attack -- the hallmark of this offense -- is compromised.

No problem. The Panthers have Smith and quarterback Jake Delhomme. Smith is the best playmaker in the playoffs; Delhomme isn't far behind. That's right. Jake Delhomme. The guy showed me something in Chicago last weekend, rebounding from a less-than-scintillating performance in November to carve up a premier defense.

He didn't take sacks. He didn't throw poor passes. And, most important, he didn't commit silly mistakes.

But that's Delhomme in the playoffs. He's a regular Mr. January, throwing for 10 touchdowns with only two interceptions in postseason play. And that's what I like most about Delhomme; he's the quarterback with the experience. He has been in this position, and he has won. In Philadelphia no less. The guy is 5-1 in the playoffs, with his only loss in a Super Bowl where he was sensational against mighty New England.

Delhomme's success will be linked to a couple of things: 1) The Panthers' ability to protect him; and 2) his ability to get the ball to Smith. The wide receiver is extraordinary, with 22 catches and four of the team's five touchdowns in the playoffs. Remove him and what do you have? Carolina's No. 2 receiver has three catches.

The Seahawks will attempt to take him out of the game and force others -- Goings or Ricky Proehl, say -- to beat them, but do you really think they're the first team to try? Others before them made the same attempt and nothing worked out -- and it didn't because offensive coordinator Dan Henning had a plan to combat what was happening.

Sure, Seattle will probably double-cover Smith, but look for Henning to counter by positioning him in the slot ... or running him in motion ... or targeting him with screen passes. One scout I spoke to thinks Carolina will have Smith in the slot, then move him around to confuse the Seattle coverage. Makes sense to me.

Then there's that protection. I don't worry about Carolina's offensive line pulling a New York Giants and caving in to the crowd noise, because the Panthers don't take a rash of penalties; they were the league's least penalized team this season. What I do worry about is having them control a pass rush that led the league in sacks. Somebody has to find a way to block Bryce Fisher and Rocky Bernard.

And what about Seattle's Shaun Alexander? Smith or Delhomme will decide Carolina's fate; it won't be Alexander. Yeah, he had more yards rushing and more touchdowns than anyone this year, but when's the last time he showed up in the playoffs? Case closed.

Given the choice of Delhomme or Hasselbeck in a conference championship, I'll take Delhomme. Given the choice of Alexander or Smith, give me Smith. Given the choice of Seattle or Carolina, I'll take the Panthers. I love teams that have been there before. I love teams that won even more.

How the Seahawks will win ... Do their homework and follow the lessons learned from videotape of Carolina's Dec. 24 game with Dallas.

I don't care that the Cowboys won it in the final minute; what I care about is HOW they won it. They took Smith out of the game. Literally. First they shut him down, limiting him to one catch for 18 yards. Then he was ejected for contact with an official.

Smith was no factor that afternoon, and if I'm Seattle I want to make him no factor in this one, too.

I don't worry about Goings beating me. It's not going to happen. In fact, if I'm the Seahawks I want Carolina hammering the third-string back at my front seven. Clinton Portis couldn't get more than 41 yards against Seattle last week, so why should Nick Goings be any better?

He won't.

That leaves it up to Delhomme, and though the guy is something special in the playoffs, tell me how he hurts the Seahawks if Smith can't get loose. He can't.

Go ahead and throw it to Proehl or Keary Colbert. They're not going to hurt the Seahawks; Smith will, and Seattle can minimize the damage by doing what Dallas did to the wide receiver last month.

After Indianapolis lost to San Diego on Dec. 18 there were people who said that future opponents would follow the Chargers' example in preparing for the Colts. I don't know if they did or didn't; all I know is Indianapolis won once after that.

So why not study that Dallas tape? I think Seattle will.

Now, of course, we have the Alexander issue. He returns from a concussion and no one's sure what to make of him. As a matter of fact, no one's sure what to make of him anyway. He doesn't seem to be the same player in the playoffs, and last week's performance was an example -- with Alexander fumbling on the Seahawks' first series before bowing out on the second.

OK, let's say that happens again. Or let's say Alexander's not himself. I don't care because Seattle discovered last week that it can win without him. With the league MVP on the sidelines, Hasselbeck took over and looked like the leader Mike Holmgren envisioned when he traded for the guy.

He was sharp. He was decisive. And he was effective. And you know something? He was the difference. I like that. I also like him rediscovering wide receiver Darrell Jackson. He makes sure opponents don't stack the box against Alexander.

Oh, there's one other thing here, too.

Carolina is hurt. Seattle isn't. The Panthers don't have Foster, and defensive end Julius Peppers has a sore shoulder that kept him out of practices this week (he returned Friday). Yeah, they're a terrific road team, but do you honestly think they can win without a running game and their best defensive player?

I don't.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jake the Fake? Hey, Plummer is no fugazi
    Jan. 19, 2006
    By Pete Prisco

Go ahead and admit it. You know you think that way. A lot of people do.

You're in that club that expects Denver Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer to mess it up, ruin the Broncos chances of getting to and winning a Super Bowl.

Jake Plummer threw just seven INTs in 2005. (Getty Images)
    He may be Jake the Snake, but you think he's Jake the Fake.

You can still see him in a key situation, making an off-balance throw into the stomach of an opposing defender. You can see his body contortioned to an angle that looks like it hurts as he throws clear across the field into a cluster of defensive backs. You can see the heartache on Mike Shanahan's face as his quarterback struggles with bad decisions.

Sure, we've all seen it. But guess what?

Jake Plummer is different now.

He's so different that the Broncos are now the favorites to win it all with two games to go heading into Sunday's AFC championship matchup against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Is it surprising? To the doubter, it is.

For me? Not really. As an Arizona State alumnus, I watched him countless times make big play after big play to lead the Sun Devils to the verge of a national title in 1996. He did his part for them to win it, but the defense let Joe Germaine -- yes, Joe Germaine -- take the damn thing away.

In the years since, Plummer has done some really good things on the NFL playing fields. He led the Arizona Cardinals to their first playoff victory. He has put up some impressive statistics, but there were always the mistakes -- too many of them.

When he came into the league, former 49ers coach Bill Walsh compared him to Joe Montana, which is high praise. Plummer is no Montana. Joe Cool didn't make all those mistakes.

But Plummer's not a bum, either.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In his career, Plummer has thrown 150 touchdowns and 148 interceptions. That's not a very good ratio. But this year has been different. He has been accurate and he's cut down on the bad decisions.

During the regular season, Plummer threw 18 touchdown passes and was picked off just seven times. It was his best ratio in his nine years in the league, a far different cry from the nine-touchdown, 24-interception year he had in 1999 with the Cardinals.

"When Jake was in Arizona, I believe that he felt like he had to make all the plays. And when that happens, a lot of times you're going to make plays, but you are going to make a lot of mistakes as well," Broncos linebacker Al Wilson said.

"I really feel like since Jake has been here he has really started to trust his team more and understand you don't have to make all the plays. You have guys on the defensive side that know how to play the game and you have guys on the offensive side with you that are good football players, too. Don't try to do too much, just go out play your game and be patient.

"I think the patience he has shown this year is probably the biggest difference, plus growing and maturing."

The Broncos ran the ball well enough to finish second in the league in rushing, so that helped take some of the pressure off Plummer. Unlike 2004, he wasn't asked to throw it as much.

That year he threw 521 passes for 4,089 yards and 27 touchdowns. But he was picked off 20 times, way too many for a premier quarterback.

This season, he threw 456 passes for 3,366 yards, but he had the second-best passer rating of his career with a 90.2, which shows how much more careful he was with the ball. So what's the difference?

"Just being in the system and having the same coaches and obviously having great players around me," Plummer said. "We had some great players in Arizona, but I think the drive and desire here to win -- and the reality that it's actually feasible to go out there and have a good season and be put in the position that we are in right now -- it's some extra motivation for everybody.

"I had some good years in Arizona, but the way my career started wasn't like let's say, Tom Brady's. You're labeled as you start your career, and I have tried to work through that label and just have some fun and try to win some games up here."

The label: Talented, inconsistent and unpredictable.

Throw that in the garbage; he's in the process of shedding that damn label.

If Denver is to beat Pittsburgh on Sunday, Plummer is going to have to stay away from the mistakes. The Steelers eat those up. That means no off-balance throws into coverage, no trying to win it by himself.

One thing he does have going for him is his mobility. The Steelers sacked Peyton Manning five times last week, which is almost unheard of for a guy who doesn't go down much. Plummer will likely have to use his legs to stay out of trouble.

Some scouts say he throws best on the run, but that's also where he runs into problems with dangerous throws. Even so, his mobility could be key against the Steelers.

Shanahan won two Super Bowls with John Elway. Can he win another with Plummer? He certainly has helped him develop as a quarterback.

"Mike has continued to allow the kid to grow as a quarterback," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said. "I think he's making him a better quarterback. He's doing the things for Jake that Jake does well. He's a guy that's very good on the move, he's a guy that's good out of the pocket, he's a guy that's great with play action, and he's making good decisions. I think that's the biggest thing you've seen with him. He's making great decisions with the football."

Jake Plummer and great decisions with the football in the same sentence might be laughable to some. But that's the way it's been. So here's a prediction for Sunday: Plummer will be more Snake than Fake.

You don't think so? Of course you don't. You still expect a three-interception, 120-yard day from Plummer.

What you're forgetting is that this is not the same guy anymore. Wait and see.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's Terrell Davis' assessment of the game...

Davis for Denver
    NFL Network analyst Terrell Davis, who is a former Super Bowl MVP, thinks his old team, the Broncos will defend their home field and move on to Super Bowl XL.

First and foremost, the Broncos will be enjoying that Mile High home-field advantage. They have won all four of the AFC Championship Games they have ever hosted, and they are 12-2 at home in playoff games overall. And to add more relevance to this note, the Broncos are 9-0 at home this season, including last week's divisional win over New England.

Overall, this team has all the ingredients for a championship run. They can run with Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell. They can pass with Jake Plummer and Rod Smith. They can play defense with that front four and John Lynch. And they can force turnovers with Champ Bailey and Co.

For the Broncos to win, they're going to have to do what they do best, and that's run the football. It was a little bit surprising to seem them throw so much last week against the Patriots. I believe they're going to go more with the run early this week. You have to run against the Steelers, to keep the defense off balance and reduce the effectiveness of those blitzes. A good run game will therefore help in pass protection, and we all know the Broncos have a good run game.

Plummer will also be able to handle some of those blitzes with the rollouts he uses so well. When I mentioned an early emphasis on running the ball this week, I didn't assume Plummer would be reduced to a spectator role. He'll have to roll out early on, to get a gauge on how the defense will play him. Plummer has become a very complete QB, and is capable of doing it all: running, dropping back and rolling out. That gives him an edge over a player like Peyton Manning, who is less productive when the play breaks down. Jake's mobile style becomes a complement to the running game.

With that versatile offense, and a defense that always seems to come up with a game-changing play, I fully expect the Broncos to win their seventh AFC championship.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And Rod Woodson for Pittsburgh...

Woodson for Pittsburgh
    NFL Network analyst Rod Woodson, who is no stranger to big games, breaks down the reasons why he thinks Pittsburgh can go on the road and beat Denver.

Everyone believes that Bill Cowher teams can't win the big game. But let's remember that John Madden was 0-5 in AFC Championship Games with the Raiders from 1969 to 1975, including three straight losses at one point. But then he broke through in 1976 and went on to win the Super Bowl. Now he's remembered for having the best winning percentage in NFL history, and he could very well get into the Hall of Fame.

Cowher currently stands at 1-4 in AFC Championship Games. But there is a different feel to this postseason for the Steelers. This is the first time that Cowher and his team do not feel the pressure of tremendous expectations. In each of those previous outings, the Steelers were high seeds and expected to get to the Super Bowl. This year, they're just the sixth seed, with no expectations, and now they're in a position to just enjoy the ride. Cowher believes in both his coordinators to call the plays and in his players to execute them to perfection.

The Steelers have a number of other factors working for them. They have a strong running game that likes to go straight downhill and wear defenses out; a quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger who understands where he and his team are, compared to last year; and a Dick LeBeau defense that makes it very uncomfortable for opposing QBs and every intention of making it uncomfortable for Jake Plummer. The "old" Jake Plummer is still in there somewhere, and the pressure this defense will bring that out in him. Remember, pressure will bust a pipe, and the pipe will burst in Denver when the Steelers arrive in the Mile High City.

There's a big difference between the Broncos' opponent last week and their opponent this week. The Patriots finished the regular season minus-6 in turnover differential, and then proceeded to turn the ball over five times in last week's loss. On the other hand, the Steelers were plus-7 in turnovers during the course of the season. If they can take care of the ball, then they will have a much better chance at winning.

When the Steelers apply the formula that has been so successful for so long, the result will be yet another trip to the Super Bowl for the franchise.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Brandt's Conference Championships analysis

By Gil Brandt
    NFL.com Senior Analyst

(Jan. 18, 2006) -- It's safe to say all four teams still alive in the NFL playoffs have earned the right to be one victory away from playing in Super Bowl XL. There are no flukes here -- nobody benefited from a lucky bounce or an opponent's injury. In addition to that, other common threads among the Steelers, Broncos, Panthers and Seahawks include the following: outstanding ownership, great coaching, quality organizations. No matter who wins in this weekend's conference championship games, we are assured a great Super Bowl.

The losing coaches this weekend do have one small measure of consolation -- they get to spend 10 days in Hawaii coaching the Pro Bowl. But that is not something on their minds right now.

One important note to consider for the final three games of the postseason: We will see only all-star officiating crews. The regular crews that have worked together all year are no longer used at this point, replaced by new crews made up of the top-graded officials at each spot. In all likelihood, these officials have all worked at least one playoff game already.

And before we get into a deeper breakdown of the two conference title games, here is one key stat that applies to both: Since 2000, a total of 21 teams have played three consecutive road games in the regular season. Of those 21, only two have won all three games -- it was Jacksonville both times, first in 2001 and again in 2005. Of course, both Pittsburgh and Carolina will be playing their third consecutive road game of this postseason.

Trivia
    Can you name the three QBs in NFL history who have won four road playoff games? (Answer at the bottom of the page. Hint: Two of the three are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.)

Here's a look at the matchups:

Rod Smith is preparing for his 13th postseason game and chasing his third ring.
    Pittsburgh at Denver: This is the first time since we started the current playoff system in 1990 that a sixth seed has reached the conference title game. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger, in eight road games this year, has 12 TD passes, 4 INTs and a rating of 108.3. ... For Pittsburgh to win, it needs to block the Denver blitzes and make plays in the passing game. It's going to come down to WRs Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El, because I think Denver will do a good job containing TE Heath Miller. ... On defense, the Steelers must force QB Jake Plummer to beat them from within the pocket. ... For Denver to win, it must run the ball, get an early lead, and protect the ball. WR Rod Smith could have a good game, though it won't be easy against CB Ike Taylor, who played well against Marvin Harrison last week. The Denver defense must control Pittsburgh's offense, which kept the ball for 34:52 last week in Indianapolis. ... Denver is 4-0 at home in conference championship games (only loss in AFC title game was at Buffalo in January 1992). ... Pittsburgh ranks fourth in overall defense, third against the run, 16th against the pass. ... Denver is 15th overall, second vs. the run, 29th vs. the pass. ... Over the last four games of the regular season, both teams were 4-0. Pittsburgh allowed 33 points in those games; Denver allowed 37. ... This is the sixth playoff meeting between these teams; Denver holds a 3-2 edge.

Carolina defenders Julius Peppers and Mike Minter didn't practice Jan. 18, but expect them to play.
    Carolina at Seattle: In playing the Giants and Bears on the road, Carolina logged a total of 2,840 miles; the Panthers will travel 2,860 just to get to Seattle. Plus, they will have one fewer day of rest, having played Sunday while Seattle played Saturday. ... The Panthers are without DeShaun Foster, who ran so well the past two weeks, so the running game will come down to Nick Goings. You haven't heard a lot about him, but he did have five 100-yard rushing games in eight starts in 2004. In his 13 career NFL starts, Goings averaged 68 yards rushing and three catches. DE Julius Peppers is injured, but I believe he will play. ... For Carolina to win, the Panthers have to get some production from Goings. QB Jake Delhomme has been unbelievably hot -- in six playoff games, he has 10 TDs, 2 INTs and a rating of 108.4. He'll need to stay hot, and not turn the ball over. Seattle will look at the Dallas game from the regular season, when the Cowboys' coverage did a pretty good job shutting down WR Steve Smith before he ended up getting ejected. If Smith is contained, WR Drew Carter needs to make some plays. ... On defense, Carolina must pressure Seahawks QB Matt Hasselbeck and make Seattle one-dimensional. They need to handle the running game, make them pass from behind. ... Seattle needs to block Carolina's front four and run the ball. There still are some questions about RB Shaun Alexander's status, but they have to make some plays in the passing game. Carolina is good against the pass, with good corners. WR Darrell Jackson has back-to-back 100-yard receiving games in the playoffs, one last year and one this year. Another key for Seattle's offense is the status of Sean Locklear, a very good RT who was arrested earlier this week. ... Seattle has to stop Smith and hope the QB is cold. ... One side note: Delhomme was an undrafted free agent from Louisiana-Lafayette, while Hasselbeck was a sixth-round pick from Boston College. ... This is the first time these teams have met in the playoffs. They've split their only two regular-season games. ... Carolina is third in overall defense, fourth against the run, ninth against the pass. Seattle is 16th overall, fifth against the run, 25th vs. the pass. ... In the last four games of the regular season, Carolina was 2-2, and allowed 65 points; Seattle was 3-1 and allowed 63 points.

Did you know?
    For the first time since 1989, neither of the conference championship games will be played in the Eastern or Central time zones.

Three of the four starting quarterbacks this weekend will be in the 2006 Pro Bowl. The fourth, Ben Roethlisberger, is the first quarterback since the 1970 merger to play in a conference championship game in each of his first two seasons.

The final four teams rank in the top five in the NFL in either total offense (Seattle, Denver) or total defense (Carolina, Pittsburgh).

Nine years ago, Mike Holmgren guided Green Bay to a Super Bowl title.
    Mike Holmgren can become the fifth head coach to take two franchises to the Super Bowl (Bill Parcells, Dan Reeves, Don Shula, Dick Vermeil).

In six career postseason games, Carolina's Steve Smith has 117.7 receiving yards per game. The next-best average (minimum of five games) is Tom Fears (Los Angeles Rams; 97.8) and Randy Moss (90.4).

Steve Smith's 706 receiving yards is the most a player ever has amassed in his first six postseason games. His 40 catches in six games is second only to Pittsburgh's Hines Ward.

Steve Smith can set NFL single-postseason records for most catches (he needs two more) and receiving yards (he needs 108 more).

Carolina's Jake Delhomme has the highest career passing rating for road games -- 108.4 -- in NFL postseason history (minimum 75 passing attempts). Bart Starr is second with 104.8.

Seattle's Darrell Jackson can tie an NFL postseason record for most consecutive 100-yard receiving games. The record is three, shared by Tom Fears, Jerry Rice and Randy Moss.

Like they were two years ago, Steve Smith and Jake Delhomme have been dangerous in the postseason.
    Carolina and Pittsburgh can match the 1985 New England Patriots as the only teams to reach the Super Bowl by winning three consecutive postseason games on the road.

For the first time, all four head coaches who will work on Championship Sunday (Cowher, Fox, Holmgren, Shanahan) have taken a team to a Super Bowl.

Both home teams (Denver and Seattle) went undefeated at home during the regular season. New England, who won the past two Super Bowls, did not lose at home during those two seasons.

Matt Hasselbeck and Jake Delhomme are playing with their second NFL teams. Hasselbeck had no starts in his three seasons with Green Bay. Delhomme had two starts in six seasons with New Orleans, and in four of those seasons he did not even play during the regular season.

Seattle is playing host to a conference championship game for the first time. In eight of the past 12 seasons, the NFC's No. 1 seed has advanced to the Super Bowl. Seattle is the No. 1 seed this season.

Trivia answer
    Len Dawson, Jake Delhomme, Roger Staubach.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Steelers, Seahawks the picks for Sunday
    Story Tools: XML
    Print Email Blog This
    Kevin Hench / Special to FOXSports.com
    Posted: 13 hours ago

Joey Porter is on a roll.

Last week, he committed the cardinal sin of talking trash about a playoff opponent by mocking the Colts' lack of physicality — then turned pre-game pomp into prophecy as the Steelers pushed Indy all over the field.
    Usually when you talk smack about your heavily-favored opponent, it comes back to bite you in that place where Porter so famously got shot a couple of years back.

Not last week. The Colts — who Porter denigrated by saying they wanted to turn their contests into "a thinking game, not a football game" — were not only outfought but outthought.

Indy never adjusted to the Steelers' blitz packages, and Peyton Manning looked bewildered and beleaguered. The Colts were only in the game at the end by dint of some truly horrible officiating.

Enter Porter.

When he would have been entitled to woof a string of "I told ya so's" following the Pittsburgh victory, Porter instead chose to condemn the wretched officiating — insinuating that the league had a vested interested in a Colts victory.

He got away with the bulletin board material last week because, as it turns out, it was true. (The Colts' lack of physicality gets exposed every January.) And lo and behold, while everyone was expecting the league to hand down a fine for Porter's comments about the officiating, he got away with that one, too. And for the same reason: it was true. (The league couldn't very well fine Porter and invite another news cycle worth of examination of Pete Morelli's overturning of Troy Polamalu's interception.)

So, at this point, even if Porter went so far as to say Mike Shanahan is totally overrated — that John Elway and Terrell Davis are the only reasons he's not considered a bust, would you bet against him?

Not me.

Joey Porter can do no wrong. The Steelers can do no wrong. And this is why they will not only win this Sunday but also bring the Lombardi trophy home to the Steel City for the first time since 1980.

How could everyone have been sleeping on the Steelers? Consider: This is a team that lost only one significant player from their 15-1 juggernaut of 2004; and that player, Plaxico Burress, cemented his reputation in New York as a guy who doesn't show up in the big games. (The Steelers also lost linebacker Kendrell Bell, but he played only three games in 2004.)

The trio of Antwaan Randle El, Cedrick Wilson and tight end Heath Miller have more than made up for the departure of Burress, and Hines Ward is as good as ever. In the backfield, speedy Willie Parker is an upgrade over Duce Staley.

Ben Roethlisberger has the Steelers one game away from a return to the Super Bowl. (Darron Cummings / Associated Press)

The Steelers' 11-5 regular-season record was deceptive. Tommy Maddox personally lost two of those games, both of which could have been won by even a serviceable quarterback (never mind Big Ben Roethlisberger). Big Ben's three losses came against the Patriots, Bengals and Colts in his first game back from a knee injury. So, instead of an 11-5 team that had to win its last four games to squeak into the playoffs, Pittsburgh was really more of a 13-3 team. Roethlisberger, after all, has gone 23-3 in his two regular seasons.

The Broncos are solid in all phases, but are they dominant in any? Their running game is a strong point, but no one runs on the Steelers. Jake Plummer has improved, but if Manning couldn't deal with Blitzburgh, how will Jake the Snake fair?

As for defense, the Broncos gave up almost 450 total yards to the Patriots and did not record a single sack. If it hadn't been for New England's three inexcusable fumbles — that the Denver "D" had precious little to do with — and Tom Brady's ill-fated toss to Champ Bailey, the Steelers would be visiting Foxborough this Sunday. (And it pains me to say it, but I think they just might have won there, too.)

The Broncos are giving 3.5 points, but the Steelers are the better team, the best team in the NFL as it turns out.

Steelers 27, Broncos 17

Seahawks -4 v. Panthers

At midseason Steve Smith was a trendy pick for MVP; but as the year went on — and Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady led their teams to division titles, Smith faded from the discussion. The snub hardly seemed fair. Smith had a Jerry Rice-type season, emerging as the rare wide receiver who can dominate a game from his spot outside the hash marks.

In retrospect, it seems Smith's candidacy should have been taken a little more seriously. Smith scored two touchdowns in the Panthers' romp over the Giants, in which Barber was a non-factor. Then, while Smith was scoring two more touchdowns in Carolina's victory over the Bears, Manning and Brady were big parts of why their teams lost last weekend.

Now, Smith has just one MVP candidate left to vanquish, the winner — Shaun Alexander. Smith is coming off two dominating performances. Alexander is coming off a battery of tests to see if he can even play this weekend.

And yet ...

Aren't the Seahawks, with their tremendous offensive line, due for one of their patented offensive displays of supreme balance? Alexander keeps Mike Rucker and Julius Peppers honest with his slashing running; then Matt Hasselbeck hits Darrell Jackson in stride deep. Right?

On defense, Rocky Bernard, Grant Wistrom and Bryce Fisher will provide just enough pressure to keep Jake Delhomme from abusing the defensive backs the way he has the last two weeks. Also, isn't this the week when either: A.Someone finally jumps one of those wide receiver screens to Smith; or B. the officials flag the Panthers for offensive pass interference on the play, since they start picking off would-be tacklers before Smith has the ball.

If I were Mike Holmgren, I would hammer this point home before the game.

And, for crying out loud, won't one of the biggest home field advantages in the league finally matter?

I just can't bring myself to believe that two teams will win three road playoff games in the same year — and since I've already picked the Steelers, I'm taking Seattle in this one.

Seahawks 26, Panthers 20

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ready?

Three... Two... One...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sharpe is a cunt...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Way to even SOUND un-biased Sharpe you horrific cunt

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The fucker even picked the Plummer beard...

Sharpe is a cunt....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I repeat...

Shannon Sharpe is a large and wide and smelly...

cunt...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    bye bye Denver.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i just want the game to get on with it...

jesus christ...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I smell money...go Pitt!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck...Bettis with a false start...

Parker is sucking ass...and Bettis...well...not so much...

Parker is dancing to much...

1st and 15...

irregardless...an impressive drive...

defense is rested...and they have the lead...you can expect nothing more...

Roeth gains...maybe 6...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DavidFlamma
    bye bye Denver.
    ye$!

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pittsburgh 'tis playing a perfect game. Plummer PERSONALLY handed them 14 points. Props to The Steelers, great team. We cannot stop third down conversions. One shit call went your way. Regardless, props to Poj. I'm man enough to say it as well.

Thread Information