Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why didn't Dave extend an olive branch?

aka Van Squalen
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Roth rules over Hagar but Hagar is smarter. Dave was a dick getting lawyers involved in 2000. that's not the route to go. that's not friendship and shows no trust. no matter what Eddie Van Liar did or said

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Id get lawyers involved too, if I thought I was being swindled...Ed brought that on. Plus we dont know if it was Dave or Ed who got lawyers involved. No guesses here. Just the facts man.
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So true about the "no one lives forever" analogy. The thought of one of them passing on before a reunion could happen REALLY bothers me. I'm sure the living ones would live with regret until they checked out.
    I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    yup thats my fear. Hope they think the same way. Im guessing it's Ed or Dave. Although Dave is my God, so I dunno. Could live forever. I pic Ed OverDosing on something ala Belushi. Dave I picture fucking a few girls to death. LOL

aka Van Squalen
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Big Troubles
    Id get lawyers involved too, if I thought I was being swindled...Ed brought that on. Plus we dont know if it was Dave or Ed who got lawyers involved. No guesses here. Just the facts man.
    yea man we don't know spit.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    'tis true. Maybe it was Alex and Mikey that got lawyers involved. I dont know how many times Ive read that both Mike and Alex have grown to hate Dave over the years compared to Ed's dislike. Ed just wants the attention. Alex and Mike have a hardon for Sam. And Dave just wants to rock n roll. Is that so fucking hard Van Halen? C'Mon! Ok Im getting angry... Hey if you get a chance DaveisKing deserves a vote if you wouldn't mind. He's said something pretty cool in the "should gays get married" thread.

firtle
    Originally posted by Big Troubles
    'tis true. Maybe it was Alex and Mikey that got lawyers involved. I dont know how many times Ive read that both Mike and Alex have grown to hate Dave over the years compared to Ed's dislike. Ed just wants the attention. Alex and Mike have a hardon for Sam. And Dave just wants to rock n roll. Is that so fucking hard Van Halen? C'Mon! Ok Im getting angry... Hey if you get a chance DaveisKing deserves a vote if you wouldn't mind. He's said something pretty cool in the "should gays get married" thread.
    The thing that gets me is that BO Vol 1 should have been 77-84 with the 2 new songs from Dave. Becaause BO Vol 2 .. what is it going to have on it? I bet that we get Jump and Panama... etc

L.S.D.
    Michael Anthony, who alot of fans claim as the unung hero, has even said that he was "very against" dlr joing again in '96, when it seemed a go.

L.S.D.
    Originally posted by Terry
    Why should Roth extend an olive branch?

Got a heads up for you; Eddie would be the lucky one to get Dave back in the band at this point. Roth was there from the beginning and helped build that band. He doesn't need to prove anything to Ed or kiss his ass in any shape or form.

Ed's career has taken just as much of a downward spiral as Dave's has, sales-wise. Last full-length album with Dave did 10 million plus. Last one with Hagar did 2 million plus. Van Halen 3 didn't even break a million.

Last I heard, Dave wasn't the one who spent the last 5 years in hibernation and got dropped by his record label. What kind of track record has Ed blazed lately that should make Dave take a conciliatory attitude towards him?

At best, Ed and Dave would be doing EACH OTHER a favor by putting the classic lineup together.

And no matter how well the Van Hagar reunion shows do, it won't be the Van Halen reunion people want to see. Ed bitched in 1996 about not wanting to do a nostalgia tour like KISS. Well, if he was finally gonna do it, it figures he'd be half-assed about it.

Shit, even when Ed finally decides to "sell out" as he defined it, he can't even do it with a Roth bang. Just a Hagar whimper.
    hey jackass, these shows are seeling out and they are adding 2nd dates in 4 cities as i write this.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anybody else smell a Sam Fagar fan in here? Yeah, I thought so too. LSD...Go throw your panties in the links, ok?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Although the Hagar songs don't hold up as well as the classic Dave era Van Halen, I don't hate the guy. If Eddie Van Halen offered me the job to sing (which I cannot) I'd take the gig. I can't fault Sammy for seizing the opportunity.

My question is, where are the Lawyers that through the wrench in the 2000 reunion with Dave?

Dave and Sammy both wrote lyrics to existing music pieces by Eddie. I am constantly wondering what songs like "Dreams" and other keyboard laced songs would have sounded like with Dave's voice and lyrics. I also wonder if or when Dave hears those songs, if he comes up with lyrics in his head of how he would have done it.

Guess I have too much time on my hands.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I meant to say "Where are the Lawyers that THREW the wrench in the 2000 reunion with Dave." Too many beers this weekend. I'm dying here.

firtle
    Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
    Although the Hagar songs don't hold up as well as the classic Dave era Van Halen, I don't hate the guy. If Eddie Van Halen offered me the job to sing (which I cannot) I'd take the gig. I can't fault Sammy for seizing the opportunity.

My question is, where are the Lawyers that through the wrench in the 2000 reunion with Dave?

Dave and Sammy both wrote lyrics to existing music pieces by Eddie. I am constantly wondering what songs like "Dreams" and other keyboard laced songs would have sounded like with Dave's voice and lyrics. I also wonder if or when Dave hears those songs, if he comes up with lyrics in his head of how he would have done it.

Guess I have too much time on my hands.
    Its songs like Source Of Infection that really rile me. Its like Hot FOr Teachers hidden away institutionalized retard bitch slapped cousin. Hagar butchered it. My theory is that like Ed said in many early interviews, he could play what he liked and Dave could come up with a vocal melody line.

Thats genius.

Then you have the genius guitar work.

Put those elements together.. you get unique music.

Its not Hagars fault he can't do that. Its also not his fault he is frankly not as intelligent as Dave.

Sammy has a different working relationship with Ed, for the most part there was no friction. I have a feeling that especially around Fair Warning Ed was trying to play stuff that Dave just couldn't sing over. I don't think the songs would have nearly been the same had Dave still been in the band. Its where the magic came from with Vai, but I don't like Vai's playing as much, its far too cold and clinical if technically more impressive (though Ed wrote the book for alot of it).

I really think Ed and Dave are like idiot savants. No "normal" social skills - interestingly they both seem at opposite points on the scale - Ed would rather be anonymous, and Dave.. well, he has enough quotes for it. But put them together and boom!

Just my $0.02

Lone Ranger
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    you would probably have something to stand on when you say it should be 25% for each member if dave came back. the only problem with that is that ,originally, dave left. on his own.
    He felt the grass was going to be greener elsewhere, and he's entitled to that opinion. but hes also got to accept the consequences. VH moved on and did very well, and it was still Eddie who captained the ship. Then, years later, after dave's career was in the toilet he expects to be treated equally, as if nothing ever happened. That's absurd.And you're right about it being too much pride, as well as just plain stupidity. CUt off your nose to spite your face. Pride has brought many a man, far greater than DLR, to their knees. He is not immune to the consequences.

And i love dave. as i said before, i was devastated when he quit and it took a while to move on. But i realized Ed started it all, worked it all and has stayed the main force through it all. IF dave was ctruly confident in his place in the bands history, he would say, "yessir" to ed, the record an album with them and rip it up on stage...and go forward, adding more credence to the idea that dave was the king for VH frontmen.
    unfortunately, dave is blinded by pride.
    Last edited by perticelli; 04-06-2004 at 02:40 PM.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by perticelli
    you would probably have something to stand on when you say it should be 25% for each member if dave came back. the only problem with that is that ,originally, dave left. on his own.
    He felt the grass was going to be greener elsewhere, and he's entitled to that opinion. but hes also got to accept the consequences. VH moved on and did very well, and it was still Eddie who captained the ship. Then, years later, after dave's career was in the toilet he expects to be treated equally, as if nothing ever happened. That's absurd.And you're right about it being too much pride, as well as just plain stupidity. CUt off your nose to spite your face. Pride has brought many a man, far greater than DLR, to their knees. He is not immune to the consequences.

And i love dave. as i said before, i was devastated when he quit and it took a while to move on. But i realized Ed started it all, worked it all and has stayed the main force through it all. IF dave was ctruly confident in his place in the bands history, he would say, "yessir" to ed, the record an album with them and rip it up on stage...and go forward, adding more credence to the idea that dave was the king for VH frontmen.
    unfortunately, dave is blinded by pride.
    EXCELLENT POST!!
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by L.S.D.
    hey jackass, these shows are seeling out and they are adding 2nd dates in 4 cities as i write this.
    Hey jackass, you missed the point.

Doesn't matter how many tickets Van Hagar sells. It still won't be the Van Halen reunion people want.

Try reading a post before you respond, then maybe you won't come off like a dimwit.

Thread Information