Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries

Kiss

Am rounding out my CD upgrade of KISS stuff (got Hotter than Hell through Creatures Of The Night, minus the Elder) and saw a copy of Kiss Killers for sale.

Haven't heard that album since it came out on vinyl years ago. Seemed to remember it was a greatest hits compliation with three or four new tracks on it, but can't remember if the tracks were decent or not.

Relistening to Creatures for the first time in years, was struck by the drumming. See, when I think of Eric Carr, I think of this boring, metronome style (far as the studio work went. Did see KISS in 1985, and Carr was the only thing worth watching. Rest of the band was on Asylum autopilot, playing to a half-filled arena. Interestingly enough, I remember Black and Blue opened up for them. Wasn't Thayer in that band?), but Carr's drums totally kicked ass on Creatures. By the time Lick It Up rolled around, he was playing with all the passion of a click-track.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

I saw one or two of their shows in the 80s where I was pretty fucking bored.

Heat In The Shade came out.
    I was hoping I would not be bored, and I actually was not. Maybe the other boring shows were just off nights or something, but in May of 1990 they came out on stage and kicked ass.

Eric Carr was a badass drummer.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2013 @ 07:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The four original songs on "Kiss Killers" are alright, although they sound like demos rather than finished productions.

Ace doesn`t play on any of them and Bruce Kulick is rumoured to have played on one, although noone knows which.

Bob Kulick plays on the rest.

"I`m a legend tonight" is probably the pick of the bunch.

The hits have some strange mixes.

It`s well worth having but to my knowledge has never been remasteres like the rest of the Kiss catologue.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    05-10-2021 @ 05:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    what a knowledgeable bad guy

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Hardrock69
    I saw one or two of their shows in the 80s where I was pretty fucking bored.

Heat In The Shade came out.
    I was hoping I would not be bored, and I actually was not. Maybe the other boring shows were just off nights or something, but in May of 1990 they came out on stage and kicked ass.

Eric Carr was a badass drummer.
    That's 'HOT' in the Shade.

Carr was indeed a great drummer, but I have to agree with Terry -- aside from Creatures, his studio work aint all that great. I loved the sound of his drums on Creatures -- so loud and thunderous.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-25-2007 @ 10:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks

They're decent. Certainly better than anything on Unmasked that's for sure.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Down on Your Knees is rocking! The four new songs were all pretty good. Supposedly Eric Carr re-recorded the drums for this album on the old hits, but I've never been able to hear much difference. I think that with all the urban legends about KISS material, it's hard to say what's actually true.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I actually liked the "new" tracks on Killers (with the exception of 'Partners in Crime').

Nowhere to Run is a cool song, as is Down on Your Knees.

And yes, Ace is absent on these recordings -- I think Bob Kulick plays lead on most of them and even Paul (my guess Paul plays lead on 'Im a Legend Tonight').

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2015 @ 05:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The Hot In The Shade tour was actually a pretty good one. The setlist was pretty good, and they actually appeared awake onstage. Too bad that album was a bonafide piece of shit, though...........

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-27-2020 @ 07:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ
    They're decent. Certainly better than anything on Unmasked that's for sure.

hey dude,eric carr did not play on unmasked. that would have beeb allan schwartzberg or anton fig.

lazy lounge lizard
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-11-2022 @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm a legend tonight,

best track on that record!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-25-2007 @ 10:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ace diamond
    hey dude,eric carr did not play on unmasked. that would have beeb allan schwartzberg or anton fig.
    What does that have to do with the 4 new songs on Killers being better than the songs on Unmasked? :confused:

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
    Down on Your Knees is rocking! The four new songs were all pretty good. Supposedly Eric Carr re-recorded the drums for this album on the old hits, but I've never been able to hear much difference. I think that with all the urban legends about KISS material, it's hard to say what's actually true.
    What about "Beth" on "Smashes, thrashes and hits"?

That must be one of the worst stunts Gene and Paul ever pulled.

They had no right to let/make Eric overdub a song neither of them wrote, played on or had fuck all to do with.

It`s Peter Criss`s signature song, for fucks sake.

When you think of "Beth", you think of Peter Criss.

At least Van Halen weren`t stupid enough to have Sammy rerecord Dave`s songs and put them on a best of.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Mr Badguy

They had no right to let/make Eric overdub a song neither of them wrote, played on or had fuck all to do with.

At least Van Halen weren`t stupid enough to have Sammy rerecord Dave`s songs and put them on a best of.
    Exactly, then again, in hindsight, its not surprising considering how Gene and Paul now have 'scabs' dressed up as Peter and Ace.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I guess that since Eric sang it live on tour, they decided to have him record the vocals. A gimmick to help sell another best of album. No one repackages their material more than KISS. I love them, but you have to accept that Gene is a money grubber and he'll find a way to make money out of anything.

As for the debate about Hot in the Shade, I thought it had some pretty good tunes. A lot of filler though as well, as I think it had 15-16 songs on it.

Crazy Nights tour was a good show and setlist, although the crowd was only about 3/4 full at the old Maple Leaf Gardens

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-03-2009 @ 07:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Terry
    Am rounding out my CD upgrade of KISS stuff (got Hotter than Hell through Creatures Of The Night, minus the Elder) and saw a copy of Kiss Killers for sale.

Haven't heard that album since it came out on vinyl years ago. Seemed to remember it was a greatest hits compliation with three or four new tracks on it, but can't remember if the tracks were decent or not.

Relistening to Creatures for the first time in years, was struck by the drumming. See, when I think of Eric Carr, I think of this boring, metronome style (far as the studio work went. Did see KISS in 1985, and Carr was the only thing worth watching. Rest of the band was on Asylum autopilot, playing to a half-filled arena. Interestingly enough, I remember Black and Blue opened up for them. Wasn't Thayer in that band?), but Carr's drums totally kicked ass on Creatures. By the time Lick It Up rolled around, he was playing with all the passion of a click-track.

Bullshit.

KISS was very successful in the 80's both tourwise and in sales, past Lick It Up too. The only 'half filled arenas' were on the 'Creatures' tour in North America.

Eric's drumming kicked ass, and although Peter will always be my fave drummer for KISS, Eric kicked his ass on drums, no one in their rite mind will dispute that.

Guess you've never heard the track 'King Of The Mountain' from Asylum, specifically the intro?

Eric Carr didn't need any special effects. If any KISS drummer did, it was Peter Criss.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
    Bullshit.

KISS was very successful in the 80's both tourwise and in sales, past Lick It Up too. The only 'half filled arenas' were on the 'Creatures' tour in North America.

Eric's drumming kicked ass, and although Peter will always be my fave drummer for KISS, Eric kicked his ass on drums, no one in their rite mind will dispute that.

Guess you've never heard the track 'King Of The Mountain' from Asylum, specifically the intro?

Eric Carr didn't need any special effects. If any KISS drummer did, it was Peter Criss.

As I said earlier, the lack of ticket sales were evident during tours such as Crazy Nights. I saw it. Too bad too, because it was a great show!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone needing proof that Eric Carr was a pertty good drummer just needs to listen to Carr Jam 1981 from Revenge.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I guess that since Eric sang it live on tour, they decided to have him record the vocals. A gimmick to help sell another best of album. No one repackages their material more than KISS. I love them, but you have to accept that Gene is a money grubber and he'll find a way to make money out of anything.

As for the debate about Hot in the Shade, I thought it had some pretty good tunes. A lot of filler though as well, as I think it had 15-16 songs on it.

Crazy Nights tour was a good show and setlist, although the crowd was only about 3/4 full at the old Maple Leaf Gardens
    Correction: Eric NEVER sang Beth live.

He did, however, sing 'Black Diamond' which really is a Paul Stanley song.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bullshit.

While Eric Carr and even Singer are better technical drummers than Peter, they in no way can duplicate the feel and groove that Peter had.

Not even sure if Carr ever played "100, 000 Years", but I know that he could never duplicate the drumming on that song. The groove on that song (if you listen to it carefully--and even the original demo) is hard for even the most technical drummers to replicate.

Listen to Singer try to play it on the '04 tour and he even comes up short. Even something that seems simple like "She", Singer can't get that groove down. Carr wasn't and Singer ain't that kind of drummer.

So, before people put down Criss 'cause he can't or doesn't play double bass and play a song like "Creatures of the Night", listen again to what Peter DID play and then tell me if Carr and Singer can play like that.

In most cases, they couldn't.

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As I said earlier, the lack of ticket sales were evident during tours such as Crazy Nights. I saw it. Too bad too, because it was a great show!
    Maybe true in N.A. I do remember that their show here in T.O. for both Crazy Nights and Asylum were both close to sold out. Only 10,000 showed for Creatures.

Crazy Nights really was an amazing tour, with a few really amazing songs on the album. It was the first and last time they used keyboards in concert. Absolutely LOVED 'My Way' and 'Turn On The Night'...

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    While Eric Carr and even Singer are better technical drummers than Peter, they in no way can duplicate the feel and groove that Peter had.

Not even sure if Carr ever played "100, 000 Years", but I know that he could never duplicate the drumming on that song. The groove on that song (if you listen to it carefully--and even the original demo) is hard for even the most technical drummers to replicate.

Listen to Singer try to play it on the '04 tour and he even comes up short. Even something that seems simple like "She", Singer can't get that groove down. Carr wasn't and Singer ain't that kind of drummer.

So, before people put down Criss 'cause he can't or doesn't play double bass and play a song like "Creatures of the Night", listen again to what Peter DID play and then tell me if Carr and Singer can play like that.

In most cases, they couldn't.
    Read my post.

I never said that Peter sucked or that I didn't like his style of drumming.

Read my post again.

I love Peter's vibe and what he brought to KISS. He'll always be my fave KISS drummer.

But Eric Carr could duplicate anything and everything Peter's ever done, and then some. Eric was a power drummer, came from Bonham and Moon. Criss came from a Jazz upbringing. Nothing wrong with it, as a matter of fact, Buddy Rich could kick EVERYONE's asses. But Peter wasn't of Buddy Rich style. He brought in his own vibe, his own groove and it was the best for KISS, IMO.

But technically speaking, Eric Carr could kick his ass on drums.
    Last edited by DLR_EngineRoom; 01-13-2006 at 02:40 PM.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe true in N.A. I do remember that their show here in T.O. for both Crazy Nights and Asylum were both close to sold out. Only 10,000 showed for Creatures.

Crazy Nights really was an amazing tour, with a few really amazing songs on the album. It was the first and last time they used keyboards in concert. Absolutely LOVED 'My Way' and 'Turn On The Night'...

Read my post.

I never said that Peter sucked or that I didn't like his style of drumming.

Read my post again.

I love Peter's vibe and what he brought to KISS. He'll always be my fave KISS drummer.

But Eric Carr could duplicate anything and everything Peter's ever done, and then some. Eric was a power drummer, came from Bonham and Moon. Criss came from a Jazz upbringing. Nothing wrong with it, as a matter of fact, Buddy Rich could kick EVERYONE's asses. But Peter wasn't of Buddy Rich style. He brought in his own vibe, his own groove and it was the best for KISS, IMO.

But technically speaking, Eric Carr could kick his ass on drums.
    Which I never disputed. Technically, yes.

But Carr could never pull off 100,000 Years (exactly like it was done by Peter) because he simply didn't play like that. In fact, I don't think he ever played the song. He would've probably threw in a whole bunch of fast fills to compensate for it. But I don't think he could ever duplicate the style and groove that Peter brought to that tune.

Singer has tried, and he just misses the mark -- why?? Well, its just not his style.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 01-13-2006 at 02:47 PM.

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Which I never disputed. Technically, yes.

But Carr could never pull off 100,000 Years (exactly like it was done by Peter) because he simply didn't play like that. In fact, I don't think he ever played the song. He would've probably threw in a whole bunch of fast fills to compensate for it. But I don't think he could ever duplicate the style and groove that Peter brought to that tune.

Singer has tried, and he just misses the mark -- why?? Well, its just not his style.

lol VINNIE VINNIE VINNIE VINNIE

WhadamIgonnaduwityuzz?

It's heresy, Carr's gone. But I disagree. He could've done 100,000 years to a 'T'. With the same vibe and feeling that Criss put in? No.

Kind of like Vai doing Eddie with Dave.

He could do anything Ed did, but it didn't 'feel' the same.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

lol VINNIE VINNIE VINNIE VINNIE

WhadamIgonnaduwityuzz?

It's heresy, Carr's gone. But I disagree. He could've done 100,000 years to a 'T'. With the same vibe and feeling that Criss put in? No.

Kind of like Vai doing Eddie with Dave.

He could do anything Ed did, but it didn't 'feel' the same.
    That's what I meant.

I'm a drummer -- I know the difference between TRYING to play something exactly the way the original is played -- just never quite comes out the same.

You get the point.

Its all good. The thing I noticed is the chemistry between Carr and Ace ("Escape from the Island") -- I thought they played together perfectly. Too bad Ace didn't stay around much longer and too bad Gene and Paul kept Eric on a leash most of the time (he co-wrote "Breakout" with Ace -- love that song!).

Ace said in an interview after Carr's death that Eric wanted to collaborate more with him and write more songs, but Paul and Gene didn't allow him to.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was at the Crazy Nights show in Toronto (Ted Nugent opening) and if MLG was 3/4 full, I'd be surprised. It didn't take away from the show though. Even if the stage was kind of that odd-looking half CD looking thing.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Bullshit.

Well, then the Asylum gig I saw in Providence RI in 1985 must have been a fluke, because the gig was literally about half-full.

KISS weren't a total flop in the 1980s, granted, but they weren't automatically selling out every date/tour anymore, either.

Great book about all of that called KISS and SELL.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

KISS in the 80s was hit and miss.

The Creatures North American tour was a failure. Empty seats all over the place.

The Lick it Up tour fared a little better, with the novelty of seeing KISS without the makeup.

Animalize was successful (still not at the level of the late 1970s KISS) but a successful tour (documented in the video - Animalize Live Uncensored).

Asylum, I think is when attendance started to go WAY down again. And the Crazy Nights tour was another let-down in North America.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Keep going...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
    Keep going...
    Alright.

Into the 90s, KISS concert attendance didn't fare that much better until the Reunion.

The Hot in the Shade tour may be the exception -- it was a bigger show, a lot of the old 70s songs not played since Ace and Peter left were brought out, and KISS had their first top ten hit in years ("Forever").

The Revenge tour was far less received.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Revenge tour started off with some decent buzz because there was a rumour of the beginnings of the return to makeup. There was a rumour that they would play two halves- start without makeup, then take and intermission and come back out in full KISS gear. Of course, when that didn't take place, I'm sure ticket sales slowed.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-05-2016 @ 12:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Back long long ago when they put out their first album I had an ARMY jacket ... I painted KISS on the back just like on the album cover. My MOM covered it with sequence yellow, orange then red with a silver band! most awesome jacket I've seen to date! wish i still had it! I'll bet it's hangin' in someones room right now!
    Jumped off the KISS bandwagon, when they removed their make-up right onto the VH bus!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Revenge tour started off with some decent buzz because there was a rumour of the beginnings of the return to makeup. There was a rumour that they would play two halves- start without makeup, then take and intermission and come back out in full KISS gear. Of course, when that didn't take place, I'm sure ticket sales slowed.
    Hey! I remember that rumour!

Of course, by the 90s, makeup KISS (classic Gene, Paul, Ace, Peter lineup) was getting more attention than the current lineup with Singer and Kulick, thanks in part to several newer bands citing KISS as a huge influence (remember when Stone Temple Pilots did a show in KISS makeup??!).

And then there were the KISS tribute bands that started to flourish across the country.

Then the tribute albums (most notably KISS My ass in '94).

All these things really set the motion for the original KISS to reunite. For Gene and Paul, they saw the potential big $$$$ that it could generate.

And then the '95 Unplugged show and then BOOM!! THE Real KISS Returns! (Grammy Award apperance - February 1996).

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Anyway, here's how the KISS CD updating saga has ended, maybe:

Got the following:

Hotter Than Hell
    Alive
    Destroyer
    Rock and Roll Over
    Love Gun
    Alive II
    Double Platinum
    Gene SImmons Solo
    Ace Frehley Solo
    Peter Criss Solo

Won't be getting Paul Stanley's 1978 solo effort...can't be bothered

Dynasty
    Unmasked (boy, that thing was just as much of a turkey as I remembered)

Won't be getting the Elder

Creatures of the Night

Dunno if I'm gonna get the first album or Dressed To Kill. Probably not (do I really NEED to hear the Love Theme From Kiss again?)

Now I have to decide if I'm gonna keep all those 30 year old cassettes that I upgraded to CD...

And what the fuck is up with Gene's voice? I know it only took three decades to realize it, but that guy sung like he had a dick in his mouth while simultaneously gargling Draino or some such shit. I mean, I can't stop laughing sometimes when I hear him sing on those albums these days...

Anyway, thanks for all the input.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    And I think I'm gonna pass on Killers...but am now going to search for Peter Criss's first solo effort post-Kiss, titled Out Of Control.

Never got the chance to hear it back in the day, but have a feeling it's gonna be real stinky!! (hee hee)

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unmasked (boy, that thing was just as much of a turkey as I remembered)
    All together now:

I found out
    I found out
    What makes the world go around
    Oh I found out
    Really found out

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Won't be getting the Elder

Terry, you might wanna re-consider.

While the Elder is by no means a 'traditional' KISS album, its an interesting record (if you get into the whole fantasy storyline around it and so on).

While there are some real crappers on it, there are a lot of bright spots:

Only You
    Dark Light (cool Ace track and an awesome solo)
    A World Without Heroes
    The Oath
    Escape from the Island (cool instrumental written by Eric Carr and Ace).
    I (cheesey yes, but a catchy tune).

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ter.......get everything between the first album and 'Creatures', except for Ace and Peter's solo.

If Ace had gone with an 'all instrumental' album, his would definitely be the best solo album to get, and a definite must for any KISS collection, IMO. But it wasn't, and his lyrics ruined the album, with a few exceptions (NY Groove - a cover - and I'm In Need Of Love).

Fractured Mirror - All 3 versions - kick ass, and it's a shame this guy has yet to release an all instrumental album (like Vai).

I laminated Peter Criss' solo album, and so now it at least makes a great cage bottom for small animals and birds.

Now that's the kinda sugar papa likes.

muhahahahahahahaha

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

All together now:

I found out
    I found out
    Oh I found out
    Really found out
    How about:

"And Tommorrow--we're gonna fall in love, fall in love..Tommorrow..."

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ter.......get everything between the first album and 'Creatures', except for Ace and Peter's solo.

If Ace had gone with an 'all instrumental' album, his would definitely be the best solo album to get, and a definite must for any KISS collection, IMO. But it wasn't, and his lyrics ruined the album, with a few exceptions (NY Groove - a cover - and I'm In Need Of Love).

Fractured Mirror - All 3 versions - kick ass, and it's a shame this guy has yet to release an all instrumental album (like Vai).

I laminated Peter Criss' solo album, and so now it at least makes a great cage bottom for small animals and birds.

Now that's the kinda sugar papa likes.

muhahahahahahahaha
    "'cause you matter to me, and that's why (that's why), you still matter to me...yes you do!"

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How about:

"And Tommorrow--we're gonna fall in love, fall in love..Tommorrow..."

Its easy as it seems
    Yes, its easy as it seems