Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Douglas T.
    Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Back long long ago when they put out their first album I had an ARMY jacket ... I painted KISS on the back just like on the album cover. My MOM covered it with sequence yellow, orange then red with a silver band! most awesome jacket I've seen to date! wish i still had it! I'll bet it's hangin' in someones room right now!
    Jumped off the KISS bandwagon, when they removed their make-up right onto the VH bus!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
      Revenge tour started off with some decent buzz because there was a rumour of the beginnings of the return to makeup. There was a rumour that they would play two halves- start without makeup, then take and intermission and come back out in full KISS gear. Of course, when that didn't take place, I'm sure ticket sales slowed.
      Hey! I remember that rumour!

Of course, by the 90s, makeup KISS (classic Gene, Paul, Ace, Peter lineup) was getting more attention than the current lineup with Singer and Kulick, thanks in part to several newer bands citing KISS as a huge influence (remember when Stone Temple Pilots did a show in KISS makeup??!).

And then there were the KISS tribute bands that started to flourish across the country.

Then the tribute albums (most notably KISS My ass in '94).

All these things really set the motion for the original KISS to reunite. For Gene and Paul, they saw the potential big $$$$ that it could generate.

And then the '95 Unplugged show and then BOOM!! THE Real KISS Returns! (Grammy Award apperance - February 1996).
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Anyway, here's how the KISS CD updating saga has ended, maybe:

Got the following:

Hotter Than Hell
        Alive
        Destroyer
        Rock and Roll Over
        Love Gun
        Alive II
        Double Platinum
        Gene SImmons Solo
        Ace Frehley Solo
        Peter Criss Solo

Won't be getting Paul Stanley's 1978 solo effort...can't be bothered

Dynasty
        Unmasked (boy, that thing was just as much of a turkey as I remembered)

Won't be getting the Elder

Creatures of the Night

Dunno if I'm gonna get the first album or Dressed To Kill. Probably not (do I really NEED to hear the Love Theme From Kiss again?)

Now I have to decide if I'm gonna keep all those 30 year old cassettes that I upgraded to CD...

And what the fuck is up with Gene's voice? I know it only took three decades to realize it, but that guy sung like he had a dick in his mouth while simultaneously gargling Draino or some such shit. I mean, I can't stop laughing sometimes when I hear him sing on those albums these days...

Anyway, thanks for all the input.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

And I think I'm gonna pass on Killers...but am now going to search for Peter Criss's first solo effort post-Kiss, titled Out Of Control.

Never got the chance to hear it back in the day, but have a feeling it's gonna be real stinky!! (hee hee)
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
            Unmasked (boy, that thing was just as much of a turkey as I remembered)
            All together now:

I found out
            I found out
            What makes the world go around
            Oh I found out
            Really found out
            sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Terry

Won't be getting the Elder

Terry, you might wanna re-consider.

While the Elder is by no means a 'traditional' KISS album, its an interesting record (if you get into the whole fantasy storyline around it and so on).

While there are some real crappers on it, there are a lot of bright spots:

Only You
              Dark Light (cool Ace track and an awesome solo)
              A World Without Heroes
              The Oath
              Escape from the Island (cool instrumental written by Eric Carr and Ace).
              I (cheesey yes, but a catchy tune).
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

Ter.......get everything between the first album and 'Creatures', except for Ace and Peter's solo.

If Ace had gone with an 'all instrumental' album, his would definitely be the best solo album to get, and a definite must for any KISS collection, IMO. But it wasn't, and his lyrics ruined the album, with a few exceptions (NY Groove - a cover - and I'm In Need Of Love).

Fractured Mirror - All 3 versions - kick ass, and it's a shame this guy has yet to release an all instrumental album (like Vai).

I laminated Peter Criss' solo album, and so now it at least makes a great cage bottom for small animals and birds.

Now that's the kinda sugar papa likes.

muhahahahahahahaha
                http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
                http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
                http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
                  All together now:

I found out
                  I found out
                  Oh I found out
                  Really found out
                  How about:

"And Tommorrow--we're gonna fall in love, fall in love..Tommorrow..."

=V V=
                  ole No.1 The finest
                  EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
                    Ter.......get everything between the first album and 'Creatures', except for Ace and Peter's solo.

If Ace had gone with an 'all instrumental' album, his would definitely be the best solo album to get, and a definite must for any KISS collection, IMO. But it wasn't, and his lyrics ruined the album, with a few exceptions (NY Groove - a cover - and I'm In Need Of Love).

Fractured Mirror - All 3 versions - kick ass, and it's a shame this guy has yet to release an all instrumental album (like Vai).

I laminated Peter Criss' solo album, and so now it at least makes a great cage bottom for small animals and birds.

Now that's the kinda sugar papa likes.

muhahahahahahahaha
                    "'cause you matter to me, and that's why (that's why), you still matter to me...yes you do!"
                    =V V=
                    ole No.1 The finest
                    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                      How about:

"And Tommorrow--we're gonna fall in love, fall in love..Tommorrow..."

Its easy as it seems
                      Yes, its easy as it seems
                      When you`re walking out on your dreams
                      you just walk away

The worst Kiss song ever?

Definetly a contender.
                      sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                        Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I like Unmasked. Quit ripping on it.

And Ace's solo album was easily the best one. Peter's sucked cock and Gene's was wimpy. Paul's was pretty good.
                        Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

lol.....I like Unmasked, pretty much 'cause I'm a sucker for the original line up. Childhood heroes. You get it.

Creatures was just plain heavy. Gave a clear definition as to what 'heavy metal' was to be. The sound of chains. thunder and loud thuds.

Say, can anyone confirm whether or not there was an actual video for the title track, 'Creatures Of The Night'? Not a live performance, but an actual video?
                          http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
                          http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
                          http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                            I like Unmasked. Quit ripping on it.

And Ace's solo album was easily the best one. Peter's sucked cock and Gene's was wimpy. Paul's was pretty good.
                            Hey, don't get me wrong, aside from those few gay Paul tunes, I like Unmasked.

Ace has the best tunes (even if they are corny as hell) and even Gene's aren't that bad.

Talk to Me
                            She's So European
                            Two Sides of a Coin
                            You're All That I want

Heck, I even like Shandi and at times (go ahead, laugh), Is that You.

Although I haven't listened to it in ages, maybe there's a reason.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
                              lol.....I like Unmasked, pretty much 'cause I'm a sucker for the original line up. Childhood heroes. You get it.

Creatures was just plain heavy. Gave a clear definition as to what 'heavy metal' was to be. The sound of chains. thunder and loud thuds.

Say, can anyone confirm whether or not there was an actual video for the title track, 'Creatures Of The Night'? Not a live performance, but an actual video?
                              An actual video??

Not in the same way as I Love it Loud, but there was a "video" of Creatures of the Night (the song).

If you have KISS X-treme Close-Up video (1992), there is footage of KISS playing to the recorded album track of 'Creatures' (with Ace).

I've never seen the complete vid of this performance, but there is one out there.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                                Commando
                                • May 2004

I was a huge fan of KISS back in the seventies. Never had the pleasure of seeing them in their prime. Did catch them back in 85. Queensryche was the opening act and they just kicked total ass. I could not believe how tight that band sounded. But at the time they were like VH back in 79 when they were playing the role of giant killers. Queensryche was young and hungry. KISS rolled out on stage looking like a bunch of fags, and they sounded terrible. One shining moment was the return of one of their guitarist's who had developed an arthritic condition in his hand and could only jam on one or two tunes. I can't remember the guitarist's name, but he came on after Vinnie Vincent split. This show took place at the Baltimore arena.
                                Thank God I finally got to see the reunited band in 96 which erased the debacle I witnessed in 85. As far as the non make up years go, I think REVENGE was a pretty good album. The original line will alway's be my favorite line up. Call them what you want, but in the early days the original 4 almost took over the world. But drugs, ego's and alcohol prevented that.

Comment

Working...