X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Kiss

Am rounding out my CD upgrade of KISS stuff (got Hotter than Hell through Creatures Of The Night, minus the Elder) and saw a copy of Kiss Killers for sale.

Haven't heard that album since it came out on vinyl years ago. Seemed to remember it was a greatest hits compliation with three or four new tracks on it, but can't remember if the tracks were decent or not.

Relistening to Creatures for the first time in years, was struck by the drumming. See, when I think of Eric Carr, I think of this boring, metronome style (far as the studio work went. Did see KISS in 1985, and Carr was the only thing worth watching. Rest of the band was on Asylum autopilot, playing to a half-filled arena. Interestingly enough, I remember Black and Blue opened up for them. Wasn't Thayer in that band?), but Carr's drums totally kicked ass on Creatures. By the time Lick It Up rolled around, he was playing with all the passion of a click-track.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

I saw one or two of their shows in the 80s where I was pretty fucking bored.

Heat In The Shade came out.
    I was hoping I would not be bored, and I actually was not. Maybe the other boring shows were just off nights or something, but in May of 1990 they came out on stage and kicked ass.

Eric Carr was a badass drummer.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

The four original songs on "Kiss Killers" are alright, although they sound like demos rather than finished productions.

Ace doesn`t play on any of them and Bruce Kulick is rumoured to have played on one, although noone knows which.

Bob Kulick plays on the rest.

"I`m a legend tonight" is probably the pick of the bunch.

The hits have some strange mixes.

It`s well worth having but to my knowledge has never been remasteres like the rest of the Kiss catologue.
      sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Cato
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

what a knowledgeable bad guy
        Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
          I saw one or two of their shows in the 80s where I was pretty fucking bored.

Heat In The Shade came out.
          I was hoping I would not be bored, and I actually was not. Maybe the other boring shows were just off nights or something, but in May of 1990 they came out on stage and kicked ass.

Eric Carr was a badass drummer.
          That's 'HOT' in the Shade.

Carr was indeed a great drummer, but I have to agree with Terry -- aside from Creatures, his studio work aint all that great. I loved the sound of his drums on Creatures -- so loud and thunderous.
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Diver Down NJ
            Head Fluffer
            • Jun 2004

They're decent. Certainly better than anything on Unmasked that's for sure.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Down on Your Knees is rocking! The four new songs were all pretty good. Supposedly Eric Carr re-recorded the drums for this album on the old hits, but I've never been able to hear much difference. I think that with all the urban legends about KISS material, it's hard to say what's actually true.
              Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I actually liked the "new" tracks on Killers (with the exception of 'Partners in Crime').

Nowhere to Run is a cool song, as is Down on Your Knees.

And yes, Ace is absent on these recordings -- I think Bob Kulick plays lead on most of them and even Paul (my guess Paul plays lead on 'Im a Legend Tonight').
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

The Hot In The Shade tour was actually a pretty good one. The setlist was pretty good, and they actually appeared awake onstage. Too bad that album was a bonafide piece of shit, though...........

Comment

• ace diamond
                    Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ
                    They're decent. Certainly better than anything on Unmasked that's for sure.

hey dude,eric carr did not play on unmasked. that would have beeb allan schwartzberg or anton fig.
                    Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• franksters
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2004

I'm a legend tonight,

best track on that record!
                      SUMMER'S JUST
                      AROUND
                      THE CORNER!

[IMG]
                      http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...rs/2wbthcw.jpg

Comment

• Diver Down NJ
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ace diamond
                        hey dude,eric carr did not play on unmasked. that would have beeb allan schwartzberg or anton fig.
                        What does that have to do with the 4 new songs on Killers being better than the songs on Unmasked? :confused:

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                          Down on Your Knees is rocking! The four new songs were all pretty good. Supposedly Eric Carr re-recorded the drums for this album on the old hits, but I've never been able to hear much difference. I think that with all the urban legends about KISS material, it's hard to say what's actually true.
                          What about "Beth" on "Smashes, thrashes and hits"?

That must be one of the worst stunts Gene and Paul ever pulled.

They had no right to let/make Eric overdub a song neither of them wrote, played on or had fuck all to do with.

It`s Peter Criss`s signature song, for fucks sake.

When you think of "Beth", you think of Peter Criss.

At least Van Halen weren`t stupid enough to have Sammy rerecord Dave`s songs and put them on a best of.
                          sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mr Badguy

They had no right to let/make Eric overdub a song neither of them wrote, played on or had fuck all to do with.

At least Van Halen weren`t stupid enough to have Sammy rerecord Dave`s songs and put them on a best of.
                            Exactly, then again, in hindsight, its not surprising considering how Gene and Paul now have 'scabs' dressed up as Peter and Ace.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Mr Badguy

I guess that since Eric sang it live on tour, they decided to have him record the vocals. A gimmick to help sell another best of album. No one repackages their material more than KISS. I love them, but you have to accept that Gene is a money grubber and he'll find a way to make money out of anything.

As for the debate about Hot in the Shade, I thought it had some pretty good tunes. A lot of filler though as well, as I think it had 15-16 songs on it.

Crazy Nights tour was a good show and setlist, although the crowd was only about 3/4 full at the old Maple Leaf Gardens
                              Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

Working...