Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "[I]RANDY RHOADS[/I] not imtimidated by EVH" says DuBrow in new GUITAR WORLD

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

"[I]RANDY RHOADS[/I] not imtimidated by EVH" says DuBrow in new GUITAR WORLD

New Guitar World...Tribute to the late Mr. Rhoads...

Kevin DuBrow has a couple of EVH memories from when Quiet Riot were the OTHER hot band in town...

First time EVH meets Randy...DuBrow takes Rhoads backstage to meet EVH...

"He knew who we were," says DuBrow. "The first thing he said to us was, 'You guys sound too much like QUEEN.' Randy asked him, "How do you get the guitar not to go out of tune using the bar?" and Eddie said, 'Ah, man, I can't tell you. It's a trick Jeff Beck showed me.' Randy and I just rolled our eyes."

Despite the acclaim heaped on Eddie, DuBrow insists Rhoads was not intimidated by the guitarist. "He thought that a lot of what Eddie did was smoke and mirrors. He said Eddie was a great player but that most of his stuff was actually very easy to do."
    "He wasn't intimidated by Eddie as a player but by what he had achieved in the public eye. He was actually intimidated musically by George Lynch. We used to go see George play and Randy would say, "This guy is much better than Van Halen.' "

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    After watching some old Quiet Riot videos with Randy I'll say this...

Randy was a good guitarist, but he wasn't as good as EVH was. Also, Kevin DuBrow is an idiot. I hope he doesn't think he's fooling anyone with that poodle wig. Christ, the man has more hair on his head now, than he did in 1983.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: "[I]RANDY RHOADS[/I] not imtimidated by EVH" says DuBrow in new GUITAR WORLD

Originally posted by Matt White

"He knew who we were," says DuBrow. "The first thing he said to us was, 'You guys sound too much like QUEEN.'
    Eddie needs to clean out his ears. I've heard the Quiet Riot albums, and I can't think of one song on either one of them that sounds like Queen.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    With only 2 major labels releases...Rhoads was on his way to becoming a MAJOR force in Hard Rock guitar...he is the Father of neo-classical Metal.......

I remember it like it was yesterday...or at least last week....when I heard aboot the crash....a talented Mofo...

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rhoads' ability didn't have anything to do with whatever.

Ed probably said something about Dubrow looking like a Queen in his wig. Dubrow's fucked up....all the velcro stapled to his cranium?

Fast-forwarding Alzheimers.

spiralmind
    Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lynch was better than Van Halen?? what a load of crap...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "He thought that a lot of what Eddie did was smoke and mirrors."
    What a ridiculous statement, typical Dubrow...

I'll say this for Lynch, I've also regarded him as one of the most underrated guitarists ever, if not THE most underrated....

That is, outside of my boy Akira Takasaki of Loudness....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pretty much all DuBrow has been good for since 1984 is telling RR stories for various Guitar mags.

Hey, Kev, why not give it a rest?

Would be willing to bet half of what DubRow says about RR these days is just plain made-up, because the truth of the matter is there's really nothing left to tell. RR was a great guitarist who died a long time ago...

...will probably be buying this mag just the same (hee hee)
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dubrow is only keeping himself in the news...really, what else could he say that might keep interest in an article.

George is underated...too bad really.

Akira Takasaki ..."Wok an woll cwazeee niiighhtt..."...I forgot about Loudness.
    What was that album...Thunder from the East?
    I am gonna have to go find my old box of tapes.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Randy Rhoads... I dig what he did with Ozzy (Diary of a Madman, Blizzard of Ozz, the "Tribute") a lot, but... I don't think he can really be compared to EVH.

VH and VH II vs Quiet Riot I & II? Or even "Diary" & "Blizzard"? Not the same league, seriously... RR played a bunch of impressive parts, but - I may be wrong - he's always sounded as an aspiring second EVH.

As for Rhoads not being impressed by Eddie, well... As far as the bar thing, it kind of comes to saying: "I could do that too, if I knew how to!"
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    I'll say this for Lynch, I've also regarded him as one of the most underrated guitarists ever, if not THE most underrated....

That is, outside of my boy Akira Takasaki of Loudness....
    Hear, hear!
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by WACF
    That's the one. Apparently it's been remastered...

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There is always a lot of hyperbole when DuBrow speaks...but his former bandmates in Quiet Riot back much of the stuff about Randy up.....remember...Gene Simmons was going to see THE BOYZ that night in the 70's, George Lynch's band....VAN HALEN were the opening band......"Right place Right Time"....

What did VAN HALEN have that the BOYZ & Quiet Riot did not? A Hot-shot guitarist? Nope...both had that......

VAN HALEN HAD DAVID LEE ROTH........

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
    Randy Rhoads... I dig what he did with Ozzy (Diary of a Madman, Blizzard of Ozz, the "Tribute") a lot, but... I don't think he can really be compared to EVH.

VH and VH II vs Quiet Riot I & II? Or even "Diary" & "Blizzard"? Not the same league, seriously... RR played a bunch of impressive parts, but - I may be wrong - he's always sounded as an aspiring second EVH.

As for Rhoads not being impressed by Eddie, well... As far as the bar thing, it kind of comes to saying: "I could do that too, if I knew how to!"
    Never really got the impression that RR was playing second fiddle to EVH. Think RR had a few of what we now refer to as Van Halenisms in his playing, but they both sprung from the same area at the same time period. Think it had more to do with Ed and Van Halen just being signed first and getting that exposure first than anything else.

I'd put Ozzy's first two solo efforts right up alongside the first two Van Halen albums, guitarwise, as far as the impact and influence on my own playing. Besides, never looked at guitar playing with the mindset of one player being "better" than another. Pointless.

Think RR obviously copped the tapping thing from EVH...their styles were similar in some aspects, but far from the same.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who cares about what stupid K.Dubrow has to say or RR band mates?
    RR himself always said that he just could not compete with guys like EVH. He also said that everything he knew he learned fro EVH.
    I've read that may many times in guitar magazinez from the 80's.
    Today everybody is just making shit up, why didn't they said anything like that before? They just want to sound interesting.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember EVH saying that Rhoads got everything from him...NOT Randy Rhoads....

Rhoads said he was "Embarassed" he did tapping in his solo...just because the kids liked it.....

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If Randy hadn't died an early death, I think that Eddie would've been shown the door a LONG time ago.

Randy kept him on his A game. He had to put out quality work. There's no way Van Hagar would've happened if Randy was still walking the earth.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I don't remember Randy saying he got everything he knew from Eddie Van Halen either, other than the flashy tapped stuff he did in his live, unaccompanied solo spot, either.

I do remember Ed saying after RR died that Ed had been told he had influenced RRs playing, and that if that was true, than he was very honored.

Even putting such nonsense to one side, so what IF RR was heavily influenced by EVH? When I listen to RRs stuff, I don't hear an Eddie clone at all. I hear a guy who was a bitchin' guitar player in his own right.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What did VAN HALEN have that the BOYZ & Quiet Riot did not? A Hot-shot guitarist? Nope...both had that......

VAN HALEN HAD DAVID LEE ROTH........
    ...whome gene simmons wanted to replace
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by WACF
    Come on now, I'm talking about Akira, not the wok and woll....

Their CD's nowadays are pretty expensive since they're considered imports....

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Had Rhoads lived he wouldn`t have put his guitar down and started playing keyboards, eh EHV?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sitting on a park bench!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He did put down his guitar and fuck Sharon Osbourne before she had all the surgery and lost all that weight...

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Seshmeister
    He did put down his guitar and fuck Sharon Osbourne before she had all the surgery and lost all that weight...
    No shit , all that pussy on the road and he puts the nutz to big fat $haron.
    Well I hope he at least gave her a "Dirty Sanchez" for her troubles.
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I weas fortunate enough to see Randy only a month before he died.

Likewise...I got to see Stevie Ray Vaughan one time.

Just a brush wif grateness.....

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Every indication was that Randy was going to get out of the business and go to school, then go back to teaching... I have heard several live recordings of Quiet Riot from the 70's and he was not all that impressive. The potential was there but that band was a lead weight musically. When he joined Ozzy's band, he was able to expand musically... and it showed right away. Diary of a Madman is a masterpiece. That entire album blew me away the first time I heard it and it still does to this day. EVH was able to do his thing from day one... Van Halen had all the right piece to be a sucess... Ed owes a lot of his sucess to David Lee Roth. Aside from the flashy clothes and party image... he ALWAYS promoted the band in that David Lee Roth style which drew attention like a magnet.... and Ed enjoyed great sucess because of it!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why do the Ozzy sidemen put signature graphics on their guitars?

Minus Willis I mean.....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BruinJer
    Every indication was that Randy was going to get out of the business and go to school, then go back to teaching... I have heard several live recordings of Quiet Riot from the 70's and he was not all that impressive. The potential was there but that band was a lead weight musically. When he joined Ozzy's band, he was able to expand musically... and it showed right away. Diary of a Madman is a masterpiece. That entire album blew me away the first time I heard it and it still does to this day. EVH was able to do his thing from day one... Van Halen had all the right piece to be a sucess... Ed owes a lot of his sucess to David Lee Roth. Aside from the flashy clothes and party image... he ALWAYS promoted the band in that David Lee Roth style which drew attention like a magnet.... and Ed enjoyed great sucess because of it!

That's true.

Without RR then Ozzy would have faded away like most addicts who get thrown out of their bands.

Ozzy's whole solo career was built on the 2 Randy Rhodes albums and it seems that Ozzy had very little to do with writing those 20 or so songs.

Roth and EVH was a much more even split on every level

Ozzy is a lucky MOFO even by rockstar standards...

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    my 2 cents: Think about how many great players were playing those clubs in the late 70's/early 80's. You have Rhoads, EVH, Lynch, Warren D, Jake E Lee, etc... You can hear a little of each others style because they were probably influenced by each other. They all played the same clubs, same bills, I'm sure a lot of those guys were friends with each other and supported/jammed with each other. Lynch and Demartini were really good friends and you can for sure hear licks that they copped from each other. EVH was a great player and a very underrated rhythm player. I'm sure Rhoads picked up some ideas from him, but I'm sure EVH picked up some ideas from other players in the scene, maybe not Rhoads, but other players in the scene for sure. EVH was the first new school player that came out in the late 70's so of course everyone after him would be compared to him, fair or not fair. I always looked at EVH and Rhoads as two completely different guitar players who influenced a ton of guitar players for decades to come

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Randy was a great guitarist -- one of the best.

But he wasn't near Eddie's level at the time.

He was still evolving. I think he could've surpassed Eddie by the time EVH "Hagared" his music, had Randy lived.

But compare 1981 - Fair Warning vs Diary of a Madman.

No contest. Fair Warning is a guitar masterpiece.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember at the time....the EVH vs. the RANDY RHOADS camps....

RANDY was a rising star...and EVH was King of the Hill....

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember at the time....the EVH vs. the RANDY RHOADS camps....

RANDY was a rising star...and EVH was King of the Hill....
    Yup.

Which I why I said that by the mid 80s when Eddie's bag of tricks were all but used (and he Hagarized his music), Randy would've surpassed him (if he was still alive and still playing hard rock - remember just prior to his death he was telling Ozzy that he wanted to leave the band and study more Classical Guitar and get a degree in it -- so who knows where he could've been).

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Exactly, exactly......

I can't see Randy ever wanting to join Journey...which must have been a secret desire of EVH's.......

But who knows...maybe if Randy had lived he would have joined Wilson/Phillips........he had the same hair as the blond

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    New Guitar World...Tribute to the late Mr. Rhoads...

Kevin DuBrow has a couple of EVH memories from when Quiet Riot were the OTHER hot band in town...

"He knew who we were," says DuBrow. "The first thing he said to us was, 'You guys sound too much like QUEEN.' Randy asked him, "How do you get the guitar not to go out of tune using the bar?" and Eddie said, 'Ah, man, I can't tell you. It's a trick Jeff Beck showed me.' Randy and I just rolled our eyes."

Despite the acclaim heaped on Eddie, DuBrow insists Rhoads was not intimidated by the guitarist. "He thought that a lot of what Eddie did was smoke and mirrors. He said Eddie was a great player but that most of his stuff was actually very easy to do."
    "He wasn't intimidated by Eddie as a player but by what he had achieved in the public eye. He was actually intimidated musically by George Lynch. We used to go see George play and Randy would say, "This guy is much better than Van Halen.' "
    Loved Randy's work.
    Stil love Kevin DuBrow's stage presence.
    Loved Eddie's work, pre-1986.

Had NO idea that George Lynch/Dokken was around in 1982.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
    Loved Randy's work.
    Stil love Kevin DuBrow's stage presence.
    Loved Eddie's work, pre-1986.

Had NO idea that George Lynch/Dokken was around in 1982.
    How you been Bro?

Lets see....Lynch hooked up with Don Dokken in the early 80's....Juan Croucier was on bass...Mick Brown (Who had played with Lynch in THE BOYZ in the 70's) on drums....Breaking the Chains came out in 83...making the demos for it a year earlier.....

RHOADS knew Lynch from them both teaching at Randy's Mom music school....When RHOADS went out on the road with Ozzy, he asked his Mom to have George take his students...because he knew Lynch was a bad Mofo......

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Randy crashed an airplane in a fatal mistake ... ed crashed a career in a drunken stuper!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...If you talk to anyone who was here during the day, Lynch was considered THE hottest guitarist in town then, Randy was the most well-known because most LA guys were taking lessons from him...Eddie completed the trinity...(Remember Lynch is also the oldest of the three) but they WERE the top 3 in town in the late 70s...

Dubrow has some GREAT RR stories you'll never hear, btw
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How you been Bro?

Lets see....Lynch hooked up with Don Dokken in the early 80's....Juan Croucier was on bass...Mick Brown (Who had played with Lynch in THE BOYZ in the 70's) on drums....Breaking the Chains came out in 83...making the demos for it a year earlier.....

RHOADS knew Lynch from them both teaching at Randy's Mom music school....When RHOADS went out on the road with Ozzy, he asked his Mom to have George take his students...because he knew Lynch was a bad Mofo......
    MW, nice ta hear from yuzz again........thanx btw for the Lynch FYI..
    I didn't know that...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by estang74
    my 2 cents: Think about how many great players were playing those clubs in the late 70's/early 80's. You have Rhoads, EVH, Lynch, Warren D, Jake E Lee, etc... You can hear a little of each others style because they were probably influenced by each other. They all played the same clubs, same bills, I'm sure a lot of those guys were friends with each other and supported/jammed with each other. Lynch and Demartini were really good friends and you can for sure hear licks that they copped from each other. EVH was a great player and a very underrated rhythm player. I'm sure Rhoads picked up some ideas from him, but I'm sure EVH picked up some ideas from other players in the scene, maybe not Rhoads, but other players in the scene for sure. EVH was the first new school player that came out in the late 70's so of course everyone after him would be compared to him, fair or not fair. I always looked at EVH and Rhoads as two completely different guitar players who influenced a ton of guitar players for decades to come
    No fucking doubt!

It wasn't like Eddie came out of a hole in the ground having never heard anyone else before him, or not listening to what was going on with other players when they did those club gigs...

I mean, if you wanna get rigidly chronological about it, Ace Frehley did some tapping on the unaccompanied solo in Shock Me on Kiss Alive 2, and that was done in what, 1977? A full year before Van Halen's first album came out (although I'd be willing to bet Ace nicked it from Ed while Simmons was diddling around with the band)...

Shit, just listening to what Beck, Blackmore and Page were doing in the early and mid 1970s, I hear bits here and there that come a lot closer to what EVH ended up doing than ANYTHING Ed's claimed main influence Eric Crapton was doing...

Fair Warning was a monster fucking album, guitar-wise. No doubt. But back in the day there were just as many of us trying to cop some of RRs stuff as there were Eddie clones. Diary was a fucking monster album in it's own right.

What exactly makes one think RR was just a rung below Ed in terms of talent? What are the standards being utilized to make that assertion? Hey, not razzing on anyone for what they think, just curious.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I might get destroyed for this comment but I always thought Rhoads had better song structure than EVH. I loved how early van halen songs had that attitude, vibe but Blizzard and Especially Diary were compositions. Eddie came up with sounds that made many of us guitar players scratch our heads in disbelieve. It's Hard to compare the two and I really think they should be considered equals considering Fair Warning was the fourth album Van Halen released and Rhoads only lived to release two albums. I have much respect for them both and when I was growing up, they were my two favorites for the reasons above.

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lynch's stuff w/Dokken is still underrated.

I saw 'em here LIVE in T.O. when he was with Lynch Mob.

Completely underrated guitarist.

Now there's an instrumental album waiting to happen...

Thread Information