Thread: The Black Crowes

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2017 @ 01:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The Black Crowes are one of America's greatest musical treasures . I can't say enough about them .
    I've seen them more times than I can count . " Cypress Tree " is my favorite off of Lions , but , without a doubt " Thorn In My Pride " is my favorite Black Crowes song . That being said , Southern Harmony ...is my favorite Black Crowes album although everything from Shake Your Moneymaker to Live At The Greek kicks all kinds of ass . Rediculously talented , lots of soul .
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I saw them live in 1990 or 1991 in Europe.
    I went to a mega concert and the big band was AC/DC I think, I arrive very early an the first band was The Black Crowes, I asked who are they? but nobody knew about them.....and when they started playing everybody was confused at the first moment, then shocked and finally everybody was jumping, they rocked the stadium, it was amazing, I was lucky to be there.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Before the Frost was a really good album with a few spectacular songs. Much like the one before it. They can just keep on recording and performing kick ass rock music and I'll be happy.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    They were great with Jimmy Page..saw em at Jones beach with Page... Saw em on their first two tours...all small venues....once in ny city, once at c.w. post college on Long Island on their second tour which was also a great show....and 2-3 yrs ago at Westbury Music Fair on Long Island. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but their first two albums will always be my favorite....especially the first one.
    It was risky to see them live early one because they were so unpredictable. You were lucky to see 2 good ones! Their second album to me is their masterpiece. The songs and the production are just so perfect. And it's a great to one to play guitar to. Get that open G goin'.

5. 2 users say thank you to ODShowtime for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (05-01-2012),vandeleur (05-02-2012)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

I really think that 'By Your Side' is chronically under-rated.....

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-07-2015 @ 05:45 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Southern Harmony is one on the 5 best albums released in the decade of the 90's. Amorica's only problem was it was released after Kurt Cobain took his dirt nap and all the little whiny teenagers had turned to "grunge" or "alternative". VERY underrated record.

FYI - Steve Gorman hosts a sports and music talk/call in show in Nashville.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-31-2018 @ 06:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ODShowtime View Post
    Before the Frost was a really good album with a few spectacular songs. Much like the one before it. They can just keep on recording and performing kick ass rock music and I'll be happy.
    Good Morning Captain kicks it off just right...all the way up until Last Place that Love Lives... great stuff, great stuff.

If I have it on in the car, my son will invariably be singing "Garden Gate" the rest of the day without realizing it...

fourthcoming
    It was risky to see them live early one because they were so unpredictable. You were lucky to see 2 good ones! Their second album to me is their masterpiece. The songs and the production are just so perfect. And it's a great to one to play guitar to. Get that open G goin'.
    When I saw them on the Southern Harmony tour I was particularly lucky. My buddy's father called me that day and told me he won tix on the radio to see them play at Hofstra university....I know I said c.w. post earlier.....but now that I'm thinking back I distinctly remember it was Hofstra.....I remember cuz the grateful Dead were playing right across the street at Nassau Coliseum that night. My buddy and I had no weed cuz for some strange reason there was a serious drought by me around that time. We Literally parked at the campus, crossed the street, jumped the parking lot fence for the Coliseum and began searching for smoke.....which was pretty damn easy at a Dead show one would think......struck out on the weed front, scored some amazing shrooms from some dude who looked like Lenny kravitz, went back across the street and watched the crowes put on a killer show. I distinctly remember they had a huge green curtain for a backdrop with a pot leaf on it and the words "legalize it" printed underneath the leaf. Hell of a show......Shake your money maker will always be my favorite album of theirs though. The next night we went back to the Coliseum for the Dead....but that's another conversation for another time.

10. Thanked fourthcoming for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (05-02-2012)

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    I really think that 'By Your Side' is chronically under-rated.....
    You're right binnie By Your Side kicks ass! It's their hardest album so of course you dig it!

The title song, Stop Kickin My Heart Around, and especially... GO FASTER! God damn Go Faster rocks so hard. I've heard them play the first two but never Go Faster. That's a rare one. I never listen to that album anymore because I had a shitty CDR copy back in the day. I need to go buy that CD because it's a good one.

Gone is my favorite and I did get to hear it live, but unfortunately one of Hillsborough County's finest was about 10 feet away from me patrolling the dangerous Black Crowes crowd to prevent any drug abuse activity. A crime I tell ya.

12. Thanked ODShowtime for this KICKASS post:

binnie (05-03-2012)

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

When I saw them on the Southern Harmony tour I was particularly lucky. I remember cuz the grateful Dead were playing right across the street at Nassau Coliseum that night. My buddy and I had no weed cuz for some strange reason there was a serious drought by me around that time. We Literally parked at the campus, crossed the street, jumped the parking lot fence for the Coliseum and began searching for smoke.....which was pretty damn easy at a Dead show one would think......
    Dude coming out of Shakedown Street... around NYC... and not scoring? That's a serious god damn drought! I was gonna say "yeah you're out but then you go into the Coliseum parking lot and get hooked up!" But nope. Shit I was only at one real shakedown street and came away with some sweet hash! From some weird little yoda-like dude. Rock and roll.

fourthcoming
    Dude coming out of Shakedown Street... around NYC... and not scoring? That's a serious god damn drought! I was gonna say "yeah you're out but then you go into the Coliseum parking lot and get hooked up!" But nope. Shit I was only at one real shakedown street and came away with some sweet hash! From some weird little yoda-like dude. Rock and roll.
    Haaa.....weird little Yoda like dude......that made me literally laugh out loud at my desk just now.....yea.....Don't quite remember if it was spring or fall of 90' or 91'....I know it was not too long after brett Mydland died and Bruce hornsby filled in when the Dead were in town during the Crowes show I mentioned but for some reason the drought was in full effect for a month or so....I'm sure I could have scored at the Dead but my buddy and I were two clean cut looking dudes.....undercover burnouts so I think alot of people probably thought we were narc'ing it up. Not a bad consellation prize with the shroomies.....ahh to be young again. The next night we met some cool little flower girl who smoked opium hash with in exchange for some cerveza's....was only fortunate enough to see 3 Dead shows....one at MSG two at the Coliseum but those were good times......and I was always a metal head growing up but there's nothing wrong with diversity.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Great band, great songs, great manager...

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Haaa.....weird little Yoda like dude......that made me literally laugh out loud at my desk just now.....yea.....

He was like 5'1" and squirrely wondering around in this huge bazaar mumbling to everyone that passed "hashish... hash.... hashish... hash...." I was like hell's yeah!

17. Thanked ODShowtime for this KICKASS post:

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

If you feel like a riot, then don't you deny it
    Put your good foot forward
    No need for heroics I just want you to show it

Listening to the crowes on a hot sunny day ... Rock n roll indeed

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,614 Posts

great driving song too.

20. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (05-24-2012)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hiatus is over!

THE BLACK CROWES Announce Special All-Acoustic Show In Nashville - Jan. 8, 2013
    For THE BLACK CROWES, it's always been about musical exploration, and on their "Lay Down With Number 13" world tour in 2013, for which tickets go on sale January 11 at 10:13 a.m. local time, they'll keep their shows as fresh as ever. The iconic and influential band will reach deep inside their songbook and extensive catalog, performing greatly varied set lists. The tour's first leg will encompass dates in the U.K. March 24-30 and the U.S. April 2-May 4.

For their two-night engagement at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium April 20 and 21, the band — Chris Robinson (lead vocals, guitar), Rich Robinson (guitar, vocals), Steve Gorman (drums), Sven Pipien (bass), Adam MacDougall and new member Jackie Greene (guitar, vocals) — have announced that the second night (April 21) will mark the tour's only acoustic show, featuring special guests performing with the band.

"THE BLACK CROWES road has come calling again for us," says Chris Robinson. "Our music is a living, breathing thing, and we go where ever it takes us. In a world of rock and roll tourists, we look forward to seeing our friends and loyal travelers who will join us and be a part of the shows. The musical horizon beckons."

For the first time since the band's 1990 multi-platinum debut album, "Shake Your Money Maker", THE BLACK CROWES are offering their fans a limited number of VIP packages which include a meet-and-greet photo opportunity, poster signed by the band, collectible laminate, merchandise vouchers and early entrance in the venue. Check out BlackCrowes.com for more details.

A week before the tour's launch, the band will release on March 19 the live set "Wiser For The Time" (Silver Arrow/Megaforce Records). Its mammoth eight sides on four vinyl albums will contain 26 songs — 15 acoustic and 11 electric — from the band's five-night, sold-out New York City performances in the fall of 2010. These never-released-before versions will also be available as a double album digital download.

As a Christmas gift to their fans, the band has offered via their website a free mobile web app. It includes a free download of the acoustic version of "Under A Mountain" (the "Three Snakes And One Charm" song which contains the lyrics "Lay down with number 13") performed live in New York City in 2010. This offering is exclusive and not included on "Wiser For The Time".

The first leg of the "Lay Down With Number 13" tour begins March 24 in Manchester in the U.K. and will run through May 4 in New Orleans. Highlights of the itinerary include two-night stands in London (The Forum), Port Chester, New York (at the recently reopened historic venue the Capitol Theatre), New York City (Terminal 5), Chicago (The Vic), Washington, D.C. (9:30 Club) and Nashville (Ryman Auditorium) and a special late-night performance at The Historic Mahalia Jackson Theatre in the French Quarter following Jazz Fest.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

One band that I absolutely love who I am yet to see live.

It's a bucket list thing.....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

i got love for the crowes

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    New Black Crowes tour ?!? Consider me there ! New Black Crowes release ?!? Consider it mine !
    When they hit St. Louis they will probably play The Pageant . Hell Yeah !

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Manalishi View Post
    The Black Crowes are one of America's greatest musical treasures.
    WRONG! You sad-eyed puppy. The Black Cruds are one incredibly dull dog and pony show. Stoner rock for retards who still think it's cool to get high and pretend it's 1991. Hemp trash boredom.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    WRONG! You sad-eyed puppy. The Black Cruds are one incredibly dull dog and pony show. Stoner rock for retards who still think it's cool to get high and pretend it's 1991. Hemp trash boredom.
    No no no no no

The southern harmony is a fucking gem of a record ...... fire away honey bun
    Last edited by vandeleur; 01-08-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Oh sorry, meant to say fans of the Black Cruds like to get high and pretend it's 1992

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Those were the days .. still a good album tho .

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

It might just do you a world of good to hang out with stoners, preferably when they're high and have the munchies.

You'd eat, gain a few pounds, then who knows?....some poor, stoned, unsuspecting sap might take pity and bend some up dick in ya'...then you'd stop acting like such an insufferable CUNT!

You should count your blessings the Crowes are coming back....you fucking NEED them!

....think it through.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

I wished they'd get the original lineup back together & hit the road....

Old Weird Ed.....Johnny Colt....Hell, Jeff Cease on guitar................................

Those first 2 CDs were the SHITE!!!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    " You sad-eyed puppy. "

Sad - eyed puppy's are rather cute . Thanx .

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh sorry, meant to say fans of the Black Cruds like to get high and pretend it's 1992
    I dunno, there really aren't too many misfires in their catalogue. It's fair to say that their sound hasn't change much (it's become more expansive, but it's always essentially been Southern Rock) but they songs are usually gems.

I think what I've always liked about them is that they've always just done what they wanted to, it always feels and sound organic....

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

KICK ASS BAND

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Got my tickets for St Pete. It's gonna be awesome.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Got my tickets for St Pete. It's gonna be awesome.
    Damnit, if it wasn't mid-week I'd hit that and/or Orlando.. Bummer

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    It's fair to say that their sound hasn't change much...
    They are in a perpetual 1972 Exile On Main Street time loop.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They are in a perpetual 1972 Exile On Main Street time loop.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    I wish I was in a perpetual 1972 Exile On Main Street time loop.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I guess when you're a stoner band it really doesn't matter.

Anyway, The Black Cruds suck. Saw them a few years back. Fucking terrible.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Doesn't bode well for me seeing 'em later this year then......

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Damnit, if it wasn't mid-week I'd hit that and/or Orlando.. Bummer
    Yeah I'm not thrilled with Tue night but the lack of any decent concerts here and the short list of cities for this tour convinced me not to complain about that.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

I like their drummer. He plays slightly behind the beat like John Bonham did.

And that gives their music a bit more slam-bang.

But they are not my cup of tea. I like heavier stuff.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Robinson brothers on Howard Stern right now, announcing a reunion tour next summer

44. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (11-11-2019)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Excellent news. Always loved that band. Definitely the reunion I'd been waiting for, for years.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The brothers are the only members of the original band reuniting. Four new guys in the band.

When I saw them on the Southern Harmony tour they might have been an eight-piece.

47. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (11-13-2019)

Thread Information