No announcement yet.

The Black Crowes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The writing on Amorica has a depth to it that I can't really explain. Deeper lyrics, a more original sound--a sound that is really theirs.

Southern Harmony just has a lot of really great rockin' tunes--Sting Me, My Morning Song, Remedy some great slow grooves-Thorn in my Pride, Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye.
    Eat Us and Smile!
    Alright!!! Lemme' se yo hands!!

Comment

I've seen them fucking devastate places. With Jimmy Page was particularly incredible.

The new DVD rocks, too, but I could have asked for more from the setlist.
      gnaw on it

Comment

Don't get me wrong... I love that Van Halen is back in the ring... but damn, sometimes I miss having the Crowes around as a functioning unit.

Comment

top band , the southern harmony is a great rock n roll record .
          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Originally posted by ODShowtime View Post
            I've seen them fucking devastate places. With Jimmy Page was particularly incredible.

The new DVD rocks, too, but I could have asked for more from the setlist.
            They were great with Jimmy Page..saw em at Jones beach with Page... Saw em on their first two tours...all small venues....once in ny city, once at c.w. post college on Long Island on their second tour which was also a great show....and 2-3 yrs ago at Westbury Music Fair on Long Island. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but their first two albums will always be my favorite....especially the first one.

Comment

It's one of my regrets that I never got to see these guys live.

'Shake Your Moneymaker', 'The Southern Harmony....' and 'By Your Side' are damn fine records.....
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Originally posted by vandeleur View Post
                top band , the southern harmony is a great rock n roll record .
                I saw them in some hole in the wall in Massachusetts on their first tour and they played most of this album live. What a mind numbing surprise thinking they would just be playing songs from the first CD. Marc Ford made an impression on me as a frontman/guitarist of the opening act. I think they were called Burning Tree.

Comment

Originally posted by binnie View Post
                  It's one of my regrets that I never got to see these guys live.

'Shake Your Moneymaker', 'The Southern Harmony....' and 'By Your Side' are damn fine records.....
                  They'll be back. They're on "hiatus" now, but they really hit another great stride in 2009-2010. Saw them just before Thanksgiving of 2010 at the Tabernacle in Atlanta. They played 3.5 hours; one of the best shows I've ever been to. They've become a great southern rock jam band. Their double album from 09 was, IMO, the best thing they've ever done "Before the Frost...Until the Freeze". It's not as hard-rockin' as their more commercial successes, but it's just a great album all the way through. It's a bit folk, a bit blues, a bit country, even (not in a pop-country way, more like Gram Parsons and the Eagles).

I think they just took this break, not because things had turned to shit again, but to avoid things turning to shit. Chris and Rich have both done solo albums and tours, while Luther has gone back to N. Mississippi All-Stars.

You never know in rock n' roll, but I suspect we'll see them again out on the road.
                  David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
                  — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by damngoodtimes View Post
                    They'll be back. They're on "hiatus" now, but they really hit another great stride in 2009-2010. Saw them just before Thanksgiving of 2010 at the Tabernacle in Atlanta. They played 3.5 hours; one of the best shows I've ever been to. They've become a great southern rock jam band. Their double album from 09 was, IMO, the best thing they've ever done "Before the Frost...Until the Freeze". It's not as hard-rockin' as their more commercial successes, but it's just a great album all the way through. It's a bit folk, a bit blues, a bit country, even (not in a pop-country way, more like Gram Parsons and the Eagles).

I think they just took this break, not because things had turned to shit again, but to avoid things turning to shit. Chris and Rich have both done solo albums and tours, while Luther has gone back to N. Mississippi All-Stars.

You never know in rock n' roll, but I suspect we'll see them again out on the road.
                    Steve Gorman just did a little tour with his side band 'Trigger Happy' with Joan Osbourne on vocals.

Comment

Originally posted by damngoodtimes View Post
                      ...You never know in rock n' roll, but I suspect we'll see them again out on the road.
                      Just as comic book super heroes and villains never actually die, all rock acts manage to live in some form or another forever. As someone else here put it in another thread, what else are they gonna do?!

Comment

The Black Crowes are one of America's greatest musical treasures . I can't say enough about them .
                        I've seen them more times than I can count . " Cypress Tree " is my favorite off of Lions , but , without a doubt " Thorn In My Pride " is my favorite Black Crowes song . That being said , Southern Harmony ...is my favorite Black Crowes album although everything from Shake Your Moneymaker to Live At The Greek kicks all kinds of ass . Rediculously talented , lots of soul .

Comment

I saw them live in 1990 or 1991 in Europe.
                          I went to a mega concert and the big band was AC/DC I think, I arrive very early an the first band was The Black Crowes, I asked who are they? but nobody knew about them.....and when they started playing everybody was confused at the first moment, then shocked and finally everybody was jumping, they rocked the stadium, it was amazing, I was lucky to be there.

Comment

Before the Frost was a really good album with a few spectacular songs. Much like the one before it. They can just keep on recording and performing kick ass rock music and I'll be happy.
                            gnaw on it

Comment

Originally posted by fourthcoming View Post
                              They were great with Jimmy Page..saw em at Jones beach with Page... Saw em on their first two tours...all small venues....once in ny city, once at c.w. post college on Long Island on their second tour which was also a great show....and 2-3 yrs ago at Westbury Music Fair on Long Island. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but their first two albums will always be my favorite....especially the first one.
                              It was risky to see them live early one because they were so unpredictable. You were lucky to see 2 good ones! Their second album to me is their masterpiece. The songs and the production are just so perfect. And it's a great to one to play guitar to. Get that open G goin'.
                              gnaw on it

Comment

I really think that 'By Your Side' is chronically under-rated.....
                                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...
                                X