View Poll Results: Have you had a change of heart on Roth Radio?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • DLR still has my support! He's the best thing to happen to radio since fucking Marconi!

29 65.91%
  • I was all for it in the beginning, but now I think it was a bad idea.

6 13.64%
  • I was a hater at the start, but Dave has made me a believer.

1 2.27%
  • Still too soon to tell. Ask again later.

8 18.18%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you had a change of heart on Roth Radio?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's a huge difference between being a good guest and a good host. High energy, wing it types like David Lee Roth and Robin Williams free wheel wonderfully as guests. The ideal host is more of a Johnny Carson character that only exists to make the guests look good. That means smoothly asking good questions, good ad libbing, and keeping things on track and going.

Dave was at his true pinacle when Van Halen rolled into some town and he did these great local radio interviews that were wild as hell and then he and the band blew the roof off of the venue they played at. I mean classic Van Halen was one big party when they rolled into town and Dave was the master of the party. I mean Van Halen coming to town was bigger than lets say Foreigner coming to town. Van Halen was a party and you were invited to join. Roth on the local radio station made you feel that way. It truley was a unique experience.

Roth now is in his early 50's and it's different times. The magic of the old Van Halen is in the past and will never be again. I wish Dave the best, I'm glad I saw him at his pinnacle and nobody can top him there.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by diamondsgirl
    the mods would have to dump the whole thread and this was a good thread, started by a good poster
    Thanks DG!!

Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks to everyone who voted and added to the dialogue.

Nice to see that DLR still has support.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    shoot best talk radio i ever listened to i love how he handles the hecklers that call in he pretty much makes them look like fools i dont know why everyone rags on the show i think its rather good so many people are closed minded

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Roth now is in his early 50's and it's different times. The magic of the old Van Halen is in the past and will never be again. I wish Dave the best, I'm glad I saw him at his pinnacle and nobody can top him there.
    Wow, that quote just illustrates how hopeless we all were a few short years ago.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dug his show from the get go. I didn't judge him by standards of people who have been doing talk radio for years but by standard of I get to hang out with Dave every day and listen to him tell stories. Gotta give him kudos, how many rock stars would be able to function on (early) morning radio 5 days a week? Too bad CBS Radio set him up as fall guy from day one. Fuck you Les Moonves!

My favorite moment was Dave's interview w/Natasha Bedingfield when he got choked up at her performance of These Words, priceless. Wish I had recording of that!

Last edited by GreenBayLA; 05-23-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    The magic of the old Van Halen is in the past and will never be again.
    Originally posted Feb 8, 2006

Amazing what 6 years can do eh Nitro? 6 years almost to the day to the release of ADKOT.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBayLA View Post
    I dug his show from the get go. I didn't judge him by standards of people who have been doing talk radio for years but by standard of I get to hang out with Dave every day and listen to him tell stories. Gotta give him kudos, how many rock stars would be able to function on (early) morning radio 5 days a week? Too bad CBS Radio set him up as fall guy from day one. Fuck you Les Moonves!

My favorite moment was Dave's interview w/Natasha Bedingfield when he got choked up at her performance of These Words, priceless. Wish I had recording of that!
    I've got the whole 3-1/2 months! Haven't listened to it for a couple years, but I loved the show too.

For those who didn't listen, you would be surprised at how much of the lyrics from ADKOT are things Dave said A LOT on his radio show.
    Same ole song and dance...

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
    I've got the whole 3-1/2 months! Haven't listened to it for a couple years, but I loved the show too.

For those who didn't listen, you would be surprised at how much of the lyrics from ADKOT are things Dave said A LOT on his radio show.

I noticed that right away when he sang "this is heavy lifting" because after the radio show firing he went on the talk show rounds & used that phrase a lot. What other ones are standing out to you?

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Looking back on the whole thing, putting out his own podcasts would've went over alot better. He could've put them online at his own convenience and avoided being a pawn in the sleazy ulterior motives of CBS Radio.

Alot of others agree...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I noticed that right away when he sang "this is heavy lifting" because after the radio show firing he went on the talk show rounds & used that phrase a lot. What other ones are standing out to you?
    Yup. He said “This is heavy lifting” a lot!

“You’re doin’ business with me honey, what does that make you?” (She’s The Woman)

He said versions of this a lot like “if you’re friends with me, what does that make you?”

“Your IQ plummets fourteen points” (She’s The Woman)

He said that all the time about seeing a hot woman – “My IQ dropped fourteen points!”

“The song ain’t (dirty), it’s really just the way I sing it” (She’s The Woman).

“I’m a bad little (cow) boy, send me to your room” (HoneybabySweetiedoll)

“Where the debris meets the sea” (Big River)

Heard that a million times!

“Here today, gone later today” (Beats Workin’)

Heard that a million times too!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
    I've got the whole 3-1/2 months!
    Then you have February 14, 2006...there's an excellent call into Dave about 30 minutes into the show that day...

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
    Then you have February 14, 2006...there's an excellent call into Dave about 30 minutes into the show that day...
    Is that the one Shoes did?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Cool find.

The whole week used to be kicking around but I haven't seen them for years. I would like to listen to them again, they were what the Roth show should have been, a much more sensible format.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hell, I even talk to Dave over the phone during his radio show. I started out by saying: Hey Diamond Dave WAAAAZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPP!

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by loucap81 View Post
    Is that the one Shoes did?
    I think Carmine means HE did it. Mine was in the third hour of the show, and once again,, I've lost it. Oh well, he said "God Bless You, Baby" and I'll never forget it.

Oh dear.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Did not know that Carmine also called into the show.

As you may or may not recall, when I was posting like mad on DDLR, I didn't like the show. Six years later I still don't have any appreciation for it. As someone said DLR is a great interviewee but not a good interviewer. But the bigger reason is because it was symbolic to me that DLR was done performing, certainly wasn't going to front Van Halen again and it made me sad. I honestly don't care about him other than what he's doing for VH. If I'm "missing out" by not being interested in his other endeavors so be it, then I'm missing out oh well.

But I'm not one of these people that can just listen to him talk endlessly and that be enough to really warm my heart and get me going. My feelings were "come on Dave, you're a performer not a radio jock." This and the '90s Vegas lounge act were the two low points of his career. Thank God things changed quickly and for the better after this show went off the air.

I'm glad however that a lot of you did like it, especially people like Shoes who was dying to talk to him for so long.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave's radio show didn't air around here, so I only heard the occasional clips here and there that were posted on this site or DDLR or whatever. I guess we'll never know if he could have grown into a decent radio guy, because he didn't really have enough time to get the bugs worked out of the show.

Obviously there's a difference from going to "visual" performances on the live stage to an audio only format like radio. It's a similar circumstance to the Air America radio network, where they only had about three experienced radio hosts in the mix, and the rest were actors, comedians, rapper Chuck D, country singer Steve Earle, etc. Some translated to the new medium, others didn't. And then, you had people in the business office who were just complete douchebags, which Dave also had with the suits at Infinity/CBS radio. In either case, it's a mix of bad circumstances that ultimately led to doom as a result.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Loved the show. Laughed my ass off regularly. Also loved hearing all the personal stories about his family, girlfriends, etc.

I thought he was a good interviewer. He seems to have a basic knowledge of just about everything and can carry on a conversation with anyone about anything. I was thoroughly impressed.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe someday when my life slows down a bit, I'll pick out the Army calls (Carmine, Shoes, Nate and Natra) and some of the best moments from the show and put them up somewhere. Life is a bit crazy these days though.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Holy shit...talk about necroposting!!

I barely even remember starting this thread....but I must say that it is quite awesome. In fact, it should have been sticked many years ago when I first posted it. 7 years of posting here and I never had a sticky. Something is wrong with the universe.

Nice to see this thread again....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    I wonder if Dave has had a change of heart by now about his views on Iraq which were pretty dumb even back then?

In his book he was unthinkingly pro Israel government but by the time of this radio show he had obviously done a bit of reading and tempered his views which at least shows he has an open mind.

Thread Information