Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (New) David Lee Roth Interview - Classic Rock Magazine- UK

David Lee Roth

Cool (New) David Lee Roth Interview - Classic Rock Magazine- UK

( Interview takes place January 2004 in Los Angeles, California: The Mondrian Hotel on Sunset Boulevard, just a hop, skip and jump from where Van Halen's story began at legendary Hollywood clubs such as The Whiskey-A-Go-Go...)

-But like all acts, Van Halen were subject to what ' Diamond ' Dave calls "the friction of time". And the ego clashes that underpinned the band's existence eventually led to the group's implosion. After which guitarist Eddie Van Halen, his drumming brother Alex and bassist Michael Anthony soon brought in Sammy Hagar, formerly of Montrose, to succeed Roth. For many, that was a travesty of frontman pizazz, and Hagar's initial attempts to ape Roth failed miserably.

January 2004. It's early evening and your correspondent is in The Mondrian's candle-lit and very chi-chi Sky Bar; at low tables outside, artfully strewn cushions evoke a posh harem. I've just noticed Human Traffic actor John Simm sitting opposite, when I hear a familiar sound. It's David Lee Roth's laugh: an infectious, booming thing that comes up from the belly to celebrate life.
    Every head turns as he and his bodyguard breeze in. Though it's hard to determine just how trim or otherwise Roth might be under the denim dungarees he's wearing, he looks fitter and younger than in the recent photos. For starters he's tanned. Beter yet, the lank, Jimmy Saville-like hairdo he recently sported has given way to a much shorter, infinitely more flattering one. " I'll have a jack please, honey," he says to a ravishing waitress who has appeared as if by magic. All omens, it seems, are good.
    Roth requested drink arrives, and glasses are clinked in mutual greeting. With preliminaries out of the way, I begin by asking him how his gig at The House Of Blues on New Year's Eve went.
    "James,"he says. "I am New Year's Eve. What we sell here is big, fat, Technicolor smiles that go with just about any major holiday and some of the intermittent. People ask: 'Dave, what's the chemistry with the audience? Why so many girls? Well, I'm certainly old enough to think it's because I'm so handsome...but I'm also old enough to know better.
    "What it is", he continues, "is this: after two or three of those songs-especially if it's classic Van Halen or 'California Girls'-you feel like squeezin' someone. Probably not me, but definitely somebody. And that's what makes what I do permanent. We will be here ten summers on, because that feeling, that impulse, is forever!"
    This is the tone that 'Diamond' Dave Lee Roth begins with, and how our conversation will continue for well over three hours, most of what he says being punctuated by that belly laugh. Frankly, the main is a conversational rocket, 'lift-off' seemingly his constant mind-set. For Roth, you sense, a sentence without a gag, aphorism, or some linguistic fireworks is a sentence.

What about children, though? Wouldn't you like some of your own?

"I don't know that I want a traditional family. My whole family is like this. My uncle David didn't have his sons until he was 56 years old. Uncle Manny was kinda the same. I don't know if it's the classic American dysfuntional family, or what. I've been in love maybe four times. I love romance in classic, cinematic style. I suppose I live in a fantasy world, but at least they know me there."
    I'm a bit of a crackpot. Most of what I do is because of girls. If girls didn't exist I wouldn't have this job, I wouldn't even bother with breakfast.
    There's also the issue of closure, here. When I was 30 years old I left Van Halen. There's never been closure on that, and that's a huge issue for me. It's not like leaving Warrant [laughs]. To this day, the classic Van Halen band could be a stadium act. And rather like all those folks who spent time at law or med school, it wasn't something we got right away. It had to be whittled away and worked at. It's a perishable skill, for Chrissakes. And I refuse to accept that, because of the whim of one of our four musketeers, we're all gonna tear up the diploma.
    We all went to college of musical knowledge together. It's why the pretty girl smiles at me. It's why my voice is in that jukebox somewhere.

For all the tensions in Van Halen, presumably there were times when the excitement of what you were achieving together enabled you to forget your differences?

We were always disagreeing, we were always at each other's throats about what was the appropriate thing to do, but it was the belligerent, confrontational chemistry that created the music you grew up to. When the guys became relaxed and comfortable with Sam Hagar it was lost. But it doesn't need to be lost forever. I actually consider that chemistry a positive force, one that could bode well for the future. We could pick up the gauntlet tomorrow. I'm completely up for that; always have been.

But during the period when Van Halen were at their peak, surely there were times when you at least felt like blood brothers?

Not really. Not much. I lived in my own little world, which was informed by a thousand books and ten-thousand magazines, and the Van Halens occupied another world entirely. To this day I don't think Eddie Van Halen has enjoyed more than ten minutes of his success. He's chased, he's not chasing. He's chased by something. But I never lamented it, because it's precisely that contrast that makes the best art. And when all are comfortable, then you're stuck with songs like 'Why Can't This Be Sam?'.

Don't you mean 'Why Can't This Be Dave?'

No, because Dave would never pose a question like: 'Why Can't This Be Love?'. Dave would assume his love bases were covered.

But didn't '5150' [the first VH record to feature Hagar] out-sell previous Van Halen albums? it was certainly very successful.

I think our sales out-sold Sammy's three to one. We had several twelve-million sellers, and everything else went double- or triple-platinum. None of it was as popular at any given time as Finding Nemo is today. And Jane Fonda's work-out tape outsold everybody-including you, Mr Plant. So what are we digging for here, professor? I think we're digging for content [laughs]. Sam comes from a whole other background, so consequently, both lyrically and musically, it's going to be a whole different tone and tenor. Still, even if the quality isn't there I listen for the ambition. And I think that changed when I left. When I was boss we were adults acting like kids., but when Sam got in the band it became kids trying to act like adults.

Sammy Hagar also seemed to try and co-opt your sense of humour here and there. Which incidentally, didn't work.

It's like writing the book: you have to live it first. And that doesn't mean you have to go to Algiers and become a heroin addict- although there's a book or two in that, too, of course. Sam is ... a singer. I'm David Lee Roth, the singer. As a wrangler of words, sire, you see the vast yawning difference before us. Are you a writter or the writter? I rest my case.

Does it sadden you that what many would cite as the key creative partnership of your career - ie that with Edward Van Halen - is in such a sad state of repair?

The strata that we achieved is to be relished. If you can write one great song that will be remembered, far less 20, that's amazing. It's a pride of mine. I consider it miraculous.

Despite everything-the lawsuits, the insults the two of you have periodically exchanged-you were presumably still worried when Edward had cancer?

Well, do it like a professional sportsperson, for Chrissake. Self-medicate, and I'll see you tomorrow. I frankly don't care about your health or the family or any of it. Play ball. You're lucky enough to be able to bend it like Beckham. Get out there! Get behind the mule and go! Eddie himself did not take those illnesses so seriously. He partied all the way through them. So my sympathies are limited. at best. But beyond that, what better time to make music than at a time of severe strife? Use it!

In 2000 Van Halen's record company reissued the six Van Halen albums you sang on. Conspicuously, there were no bonus tracks or out-takes added. Are there any unreleased tracks in the vaults?

You haven't heard or seen anything but one half of an ill-conveived greatest hits. In the 18 years or so since I left, there should have been box-sets, videos...all kinds of stuff. Just the radio interviews alone are up there with "Absolutely Fabulous"! Believe me there is a tremendous wealth of unreleased Van Halen material. But the Van Halens have lost their way. Eddie is...how should I put this...I think the Van Halens forgot why they originally wanted to do this. At this point, to have that missing stuff released is almost a responsibility. But the fellas got caught up with a couple of managers in the last few years who have other agendas. One of them was attempting to foist Sam [Hagar] upon us. So their agenda is not at all what Van Halen's audience - or myself - has. It all reminds me of that scene at the end of the movie Chicago: one girl turns to the other and says: " So let's continue". The other says: " But I hate you". The first replies: " So what? This is showbiz!"

Mick Jagger and keith Richards don't seem close nowadays but they can still get it together for business. Why can't you and Edward?

There's an emotional rift [he says with absolute candour] that I think is mainly caused by drugs and alchohol. It's been there for many years. Ed's adrift right now. He's not really accomplishing anything. And for one who professes so much love for 'the music'... well, how do you go five years without doing any? So, alright. we've all got 30 great songs stored away in our private attic studio in Malibu. Axl, if we're all gonna change the face of poplular music permanently and forever. But if the public doesn't get to hear it what does it mean? It's sad because, like I said, we hit the strata. Le me illustrate thus: if Beethoven came back tomorrow, it would go something like this..."Ludwig, dude, it's great to see you!" " James! Likewise!" "I hear you've been working in your attic and it's your best symphony ever." "Jim, my best symphony ever would be under-playing it. What I just wrote is mind-roasting." "Gee, Ludwig, that's great. But tell me, do you still play: duh, duh, duh, derrr?" [ Hums opening of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.] You see?! That's the kind of strata one hopes to attain. And Van Halen did. We created something that people desperately wanted to hear, and still do. In my mind that's something you are duty-bound to answer to. But there's been no closure in Van Halen for years and years. I think it's Ed's struggle with who's the boss. If you want to be leader you have to be accountable and all those other Boy Scout words. I don't think Ed is ready to deal with that. The whole time I was in Van Halen I was the boss. I was domineering and demanding. They hate me for it now!

Do you have any unfulfilled ambitions?

Yes. I know there's a place for me in what is happening right now, but I'm still working out what it is. Okay, if the Van Halens wake up and Eddie Van Winkle sees the daylight and we do a reunion, great. Mission accomplished. If it's not that, Las Vegas has been offering me millions of dollars to reprise 'California Girls' and 'Just a Gigolo' for the stage. I wrote and directed those videos. Those are Burlesque. Those are Vaudeville. I learned it from watching shows back in the 60s, and from going to the Crazy Horse Saloon in Paris in the 70s. If not that, then maybe it'll be spoken word. I love radio. The idea of being a DJ, whether playing tunes on the wheels of steel in the midnight hour or free thinking on talk radio, appeals to me. I use all of that as a compelling factor in my life to keep on learning, to continue reading more than I write.

- I'm surprised that Roth has been so candid about wanting to reunite with the Van Halen brothers. And even more surprised that he cites lack of 'closure' regarding Van Halen as a factor in his ongoing bachelorhood. Clearly, Van Halen meant-and means-everything to Roth. Songs such as 'Ain't Talkin' Bout Love' and 'Jump' are what he brought back from Treasure Mountain. Which is why he's fully entitled to air them on his upcoming UK shows.
    " I'm at the top of my game." he says. "I don't know I'll ever be better. What I can do on stage now, no amount of production can transcend. And it is these very elements that bands like The Darkness are feeding upon. The fact that I'm still here, 25 summers later, makin seven figures American, is testament to just how much this whole tribal ritual still has value."

- And as my interview with David Lee Roth winds down, it strikes me just how sparky it might be if he and Edward could reconcile their differences, or at least ignore them long enough to make another album. I'm just about to switch my recorder off when my host intervenes, his raised arm signalling the imminent delivery of one last quote.

( IN CLASSIC DAVID LEE ROTH FASHION!!! )

" To keep up with me, " he says, "you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding!"

-With that, Roth's big, booming laugh explodes yet again, and I begin to wonder what the rest of the evening has in store. Didn't someone around here mention something about a titty bar?
    Last edited by David Lee Roth; 04-06-2004 at 03:15 PM.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    great read, i read that in the mag b4 the DLR gig in feb

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That is the best interview Dave ever gave. Very interesting and you can understand what he's talking about.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks!!! Great interview!!!

Stole a quote to my signature right away...
    Originally posted by Cato
    Golden, why are you FAT?
    Originally posted by lesfunk
    Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Seems like I've read this before, but then again Dave does use some of the same bits in different interviews. I don't recall him ever being so candid about his longing to reunite with VH. Well folks, at least we know that one party is willing to do it.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Greatness speaks. How anyone, ANYONE, can say that Sam could even hold a candle to Dave.

I just won't ever hear of it.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eddie Van Winkle

David Lee Roth

Thumbs up Dave's Best Interview to date!

A side note: This has to be one of Dave's most complete interviews he's done in some time! Again, the full interview can be had in " Classic Rock" magazine ( March edition ). You may have to go to a Chapters or Borders type of mag shop to pick this up since its a UK publication!
    I highly recommend this read!

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great interview.

It's things like this that keep my thinking there still might be a .000732% chance of a REAL reunion.

I too want to know what happened at the titty bar.

Mr. Smarty Pants
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Brownsound1
    Seems like I've read this before, but then again Dave does use some of the same bits in different interviews. I don't recall him ever being so candid about his longing to reunite with VH. Well folks, at least we know that one party is willing to do it.
    Hey idiot! All parties were willing to do it but once the other 3 got in the studio with Dave it was apparent didn't have the chops anymore. If you've seen him in concert recently, and I have, it's apparent there too. Grow up and find another band to blindly worship you dumb fuck.

Over and Out,
    General Hina

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by General Hina
    Hey idiot! All parties were willing to do it but once the other 3 got in the studio with Dave it was apparent didn't have the chops anymore. If you've seen him in concert recently, and I have, it's apparent there too. Grow up and find another band to blindly worship you dumb fuck.

Over and Out,
    General Hina
    You need to educate yourself on what happened.

Grow up? Look who's on a Dave board bashing him like a 12 year old. It was apparent? BOV1, Dave did the new tunes, not Sammy. What's apparent is that you can't garner any attention on any of the cheese boards, so your cry for attention brings you here. There are a lot of Dave/Classic VH boards, make sure you hit them all.

We've all seen him in concert recently. You did too (so you say), you paid your money to see Dave, period. But here you are, bashing him.

Bending over, and your brain is hanging out, General Hind-End.

You and you bullshit posts are DISMISSED.

BURKRUPTION
    Actually fuck face, I have seen Dave in concert lately!!! He kicked ass you fucking douche bag!!! Why don't you go listen to your pussy van hagar music you little cunt. You might as well be like the group you listen to: A BUNCH OF COP-OUT , LIEING PIECES OF SHIT , SPINELESS LITTLE PUSSY'S WHO PRETEND TO BE A ROCK BAND!!

P.S.
    YOU FUCKING SUCK!!!

BURKRUPTION
    MY PREVIOUS POST WAS DIRRECTED AT GENERAL HERPE

David Lee Roth
    Originally posted by BURKRUPTION
    Actually fuck face, I have seen Dave in concert lately!!! He kicked ass you fucking douche bag!!! Why don't you go listen to your pussy van hagar music you little cunt. You might as well be like the group you listen to: A BUNCH OF COP-OUT , LIEING PIECES OF SHIT , SPINELESS LITTLE PUSSY'S WHO PRETEND TO BE A ROCK BAND!!

P.S.
    YOU FUCKING SUCK!!!

Couldn't have said better myself!

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That was the best interview from Dave I have ever read. EVERYONE who is a member here NEEDS to read this...
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

David Lee Roth
    Originally posted by Daves PA rental
    That was the best interview from Dave I have ever read. EVERYONE who is a member here NEEDS to read this...
    I agree dude! The excerpts from the interview I posted was only the the tip of the iceberg. I will try to put the entire interview up when I have time.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Flappo still ownes you...

David Lee Roth
    Originally posted by Daves PA rental
    Flappo still ownes you...
    Not that again!

TMR
    Everytime the WIND BLOWS, dave changes his mind on VH!

thefive
    What was so good about it was the interviewer asking questions us Roth fans wanted to know. (dont get me wrong Dave was great in the interview). The interviewer gets a lot of credit from me. He did not pull any punches. He asked the questions we want to know. I read a lot of interviews on Dave.

I love Dave's book but I wish he detailed certain parts more. The breakup in 1985, the big arguments, and other things. What happened on tour. (things that they argued the most about, I am not talking about little things, I am talking about big issues.)

thanks for posting this interview.

thefive

David Lee Roth
    Originally posted by thefive
    What was so good about it was the interviewer asking questions us Roth fans wanted to know. (dont get me wrong Dave was great in the interview). The interviewer gets a lot of credit from me. He did not pull any punches. He asked the questions we want to know. I read a lot of interviews on Dave.

I love Dave's book but I wish he detailed certain parts more. The breakup in 1985, the big arguments, and other things. What happened on tour. (things that they argued the most about, I am not talking about little things, I am talking about big issues.)

thanks for posting this interview.

thefive
    Your welcome.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks for posting this interview.

I also bought this magazine in Japan, and I was reading it .
    And I had been wondering at what nobody speaks about the subject of this magazine here.
    I heard that Dave had said such an opinion in January, and became a very complicated thought.

If Dave is now carried out in the same question, as what does he answer ?

thefive
    I do not think I can buy it anymore. Its already April. Shit.

Maybe I will try ebay or contact the publisher.

thefive

David Lee Roth
    Originally posted by thefive
    I do not think I can buy it anymore. Its already April. Shit.

Maybe I will try ebay or contact the publisher.

thefive
    You may still be able to pick up the magazine in a place like Borders.
    I can help you out by saying this issue of ' Classic Rock ' mag is issue# 64 / March 2004.

You can also contact Classic Rock magazine at classicrock@futurenet.co.uk and you really want to get in touch with someone and don't mind spending a bit on the long distance phone call, you can reach them at: 0870 444 8454 for information on Subscription & Back Issues. ( Customer Service )

Customer Service email address is: customerservice@cisubs.co.uk

Hope this helps!

Mr. Smarty Pants
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by David Lee Roth
    Couldn't have said better myself!
    Because you all share the same brain.

Over and Out,
    General Hina

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Over and Out,
    General Hina

You're right we do.........thank god our brain rejects images like this!

thefive

Over and Out,
    General Hina
    And your sharing the same brain as Sammys. He said his brain was
    taken by aliens.

the five

pardo
    Excellent interview!

beto

Over and Out,
    General Hina
    HAY HINA. IV'E SEEN DAVE 3 TIMES THIS SUMMER AND HE ROCKED.IT'S
    EDDIE WHO CAN'T PLAY ANY MORE.THATS WHY HE TOOK FAG HAGER BACK. SO GO BACK TO YOUR CABA WABA SITE YOU MINDLESS PIECE OF SHIT. FUCK OFF

beto

Over and Out,
    General Hina
    HAY HINA. IV'E SEEN DAVE 3 TIMES THIS SUMMER AND HE ROCKED.IT'S
    EDDIE WHO CAN'T PLAY ANY MORE.THATS WHY HE TOOK FAG HAGER BACK. SO GO BACK TO YOUR CABA WABA SITE YOU MINDLESS PIECE OF SHIT. FUCK OFF

P.S.
    YOU FUCKING SUCK!!!

P.S.
    YOU FUCKING SUCK!!!
    Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
    You're right we do.........thank god our brain rejects images like this!

RIGHT ON BRO

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great interview, David Lee Roth! You're the MAN

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    " To keep up with me, " he says, "you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding!"

classic.

General Hina? I found an interesting quote from you awhile back claiming Dave was such a great singer. What happened dude? Change your mind quick eh? I think LSD and General Hina are playing the back and forth game to intice alittle messege board arguing. Do I really have to post what you said awhile ago Hina? Or shall we just leave this one alone?
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Maybe they'll be a Best of Volume 2 video release in conjunction with the new CD. Those Oakland clips are Dave at his best and they ROCK!!

Over and Out,
    General Hina
    Looks like General Herpes has some explaining to do.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Keep it going....let everyone see.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Over and Out,
    General Hina
    Who the fuck are you talking to you chicken shit bastard? The problem isn't Dave's voice, the problem is Ed and Al can't bully Dave, and they can Sammy. However, I'm not so sure that they will be able to pull the same kind of shit with Shambo now.

BTW, if you think I blindly worship Van Halen or Roth, then you are out of your fucking mind. I don't worship ANY fucking band or musician. So do yourself a favor and fuck off, before you find yourself MIA.

Loaded LikeAFreightTrain
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great Interview Thanks David lee Roth much appreciated.
    "It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band — who are only performing because they have some new record coming out — do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver — I'm not familiar with their music — but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."
    Roth Keeps it REEEEAL

Originally posted by Antman
    Fuck Alex Van Halen. That mongoloid Mr. Spock looking mother fucker.

WDFA!!
    Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Excellent interview! Thanks for posting it!
    ~Michael S.
    "After all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights, and late nights, I still don’t need glasses…I drink right out of the bottle."
    --David Lee Roth

L.S.D.
    yeah, ed cant play, and dlr can sing. Please...............

It hurt to even hear dlr's talking voice on the soprano's...

Banned
    THE GRATEST™
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ..wtf's this asswipe general hina ranting on aboot ?

..is he a cunt™ like the knockz ?

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good interview... there was an audio version of that interview posted here or at Von's shortly after it aired on radio over in the UK... don't recall it may have been a BBC recording.

It is one of the few interviews in the last couple of years where Dave actually responded directly to the questions rather than just take over the mic and go into the Dave Show mode.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Thread Information