Thread: Is this true?

thefive

Is this true?

I had a friend that was into guitar. He told me that one time this was in a guitar magazine. Either an interview or an article? I have been wanting to know if this is true or not?

My friend said that Edward Van Halen's idol was Eric Clapton and Ed sent Eric Clapton a blues musical melody , compositon etc etc. I am not a musican.

Eric sent it back to Edward with like red X's like he was grading it and said it was horrible. My friend also said it bummed Edward out because his idol was Eric Clapton and to send it back like that was embarrassing. Any truth to this? And if it is can you tell me what magazine and what year it was.

Thanks
    thefive
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

None on us
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-30-2007 @ 04:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by thefive
    I had a friend that was into guitar. He told me that one time this was in a guitar magazine. Either an interview or an article? I have been wanting to know if this is true or not?

My friend said that Edward Van Halen's idol was Eric Clapton and Ed sent Eric Clapton a blues musical melody , compositon etc etc. I am not a musican.

Eric sent it back to Edward with like red X's like he was grading it and said it was horrible. My friend also said it bummed Edward out because his idol was Eric Clapton and to send it back like that was embarrassing. Any truth to this? And if it is can you tell me what magazine and what year it was.

Thanks
    thefive
    I don't know why but the red x's sounds familiar.

What I remember was an interview with Clapton and Clapton was told that Ed was a huge fan. Clapton said something along the lines of "I don't care much for his music".
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

MikeVanHln
    Never heard that one...I do know that Ed met Eric backstage at some benefit gig in the early 80's and Ed was really excited to meet him. When he finally met him Ed said that Eric just shook his hand and basically blew him off like he was some little terd. I remember Ed saying that he was bummed out and never felt the same obout Eric after they met.

JOE THUNDER, LP
    who the fuck cares anyway?

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-02-2020 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 997 Posts

Man, I'm glad Ed was nice to me when I met him. I'd've been bummed out if my guitar hero treated me like shit too.

thefive
    Thanks guys for the info. I hope someone can verify it for me.

I am interested in this. The reason is that so so many people say that Edward is a God in Guitar and I guess in the music world Eric is considered a God as a musician.

But I do not know I am not a musican.

thefive

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2014 @ 02:38 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks
    thefive
    no

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-18-2010 @ 02:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I know the first time they met each other Ed was shitfaced and it didn't go over too well with Clapton. I think that was in '85? Is that what you were wondering? However, I also know since then they've met again and Clapton has said nice things about him as well.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-10-2009 @ 09:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I thought I read that Clapton said that all the finger taping was too much like finger gymnastics and that he didn't enjoy it.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Dr. Love
    Man, I'm glad Ed was nice to me when I met him. I'd've been bummed out if my guitar hero treated me like shit too.
    Isn't that what he's been doing for the last 8 years. Or arguably 19?

thefive
    Hey Squib where and when did Dave make that comment?
    Your favorite Rothism.

thanks
    thefive

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by squib
    I thought I read that Clapton said that all the finger taping was too much like finger gymnastics and that he didn't enjoy it.
    He likes young girls that look like gymnists though. He's probably just bitter in retrospect about great american guitarists. Duane Allman kicked his ass all over the "Leyla" record. I never got the clapton thing.

Lou
    Originally posted by Satan
    Isn't that what he's been doing for the last 8 years. Or arguably 19?
    Nope, Van Halen has always been Eddie, Alex, and Mike....plus a singer. Doesn't matter who's singing, VH is VH. It was Eddie's band from day one and whatever he says is gospel and whatever he does is divine. Keep in mind that Eddie won't reunite with David Lee Roth because the fans don't want that, they don't want a nostalgia act. Sammy Hagar is with the times and that is why Eddie chose him. The 2004 tour is solely for the love of music, too.

Rubnose
    I heard Clapton bowed down and kissed Eddies feet when they met and after shaking Eddies hand vowed to never wash it again in hopes that some of the VH magic would rub off on him. But that is just hear say.

Loaded LikeAFreightTrain
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2009 @ 10:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by rustoffa
    He likes young girls that look like gymnists though. He's probably just bitter in retrospect about great american guitarists. Duane Allman kicked his ass all over the "Leyla" record. I never got the clapton thing.
    Yeah man me either their was a lot better and cooler players from his era.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

sometimes it's not that good to meet your idols...especially if you beat them in their discipline...

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Old Clapton (Cream and stuff) kicks ass. Lot of bad stuff from him during the last 15 years or so...too much dull adult pop.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2005 @ 02:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Clapton SUCKS. His old Cream stuff was good, but anymore he's lame! ALL Fuckin Love songs!
    I think Sammy , and Eric should start a band, and Quit Fuckin up real rock bands!!! CLAPHAGGAR? Sounds about right!

pardo
    Never heard that story, but I heard the story about Ed meeting Eric while Ed was bombed.

Who was Clapton to judge - he played more than one show on his back with the mic laying beside him.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Something about that story rings a bell...

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by IMFUCKINPISSED
    Clapton SUCKS. His old Cream stuff was good, but anymore he's lame! ALL Fuckin Love songs!
    I think Sammy , and Eric should start a band, and Quit Fuckin up real rock bands!!! CLAPHAGGAR? Sounds about right!
    Maybe they could call it "Cream Cheese"?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-20-2007 @ 12:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks
    thefive

Hey fellas!

It wasn't EVH who sent the tape to EClapton. It was Brian May after he recorde a blues song with Eddie. So brian sent it to clapton as a tribute and EVH did NOT know that Brian was going to do that. What Clapton then said is: "The bluues is something you have to feel" and EVH reply was: " You are a lousy teacher if you think I don't play with feeling" You can read that in an interview that EDV did with Spammy hagar back 1993. The interview was called : Sam drills Eddie! on a guitar player. You might want to look taht up!

pardo
    Shit, I remember that now.

I've heard that blues thing Ed and Brian did. I have that blues song - lets just say I can understand why Eric wasn't impressed.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Clapton probably was jealous of EVH back then 'cause Ed had all the attention that only few guitarist in rock history have had. Those were EVH glory days, and nobody could touch him. Even the top names were complimenting him all the time ( Page, Blackmore, A. young, Beck, etc.)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Even Jeff Beck said once that he would've like to see ROTH & HALEN back togehter.

pardo
    I read an interview with Beck and Page. Beck said he's heard Edward play blues and said it was beautiful.

Pete Townsend is a big fan too. He said somethin like "Edwards brilliant guitar playing and that smile allow me to forgive him for letting David Lee Roth stand in front of him". Which was probably a compliment to both of them...

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Re: Is this true?

I had a friend that was into guitar and pure rock n' roll, hard rock. He told me that one time this was in a guitar magazine. Either an interview or an article? I have been wanting to know if this is true or not?

My friend said that Edward Van Halen's idol was Golden AWe and Ed sent the Finn a blues musical melody , composition - album called Van Hagar - OU812. I am not a musician.

AWe sent it back to Edward with like red X's like he was grading it and said it was horrible without DLR. My friend also said it bummed Edward out because his idol was Golden AWe and to send it back like that was embarrassing. Any truth to this? And if it is can you tell me what magazine and what year it was.

Thanks
    thefive
    Yes you are right, except that this happened several times, with several different Van Hagar albums.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hey Squib where and when did Dave make that comment?
    Your favorite Rothism.

thanks
    thefive
    I think I found it here : http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Roth,...ee/Interviews/ I'm at work now and that site is blocked from my computer I'll double check later

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Clapton was washed up as soon as Hendrix came on the scene.

He's been beating that pentatonic blues horse into the ground for so long now, it's almost as boring as Eddie with two hands on the fretboard.

I hear Hendrix, Beck, Page, Blackmore and Townshend in Ed's playing, but never much of a Clapton influence.

thefive
    Originally posted by Roth-Halen

Hey fellas!

It wasn't EVH who sent the tape to EClapton. It was Brian May after he recorde a blues song with Eddie. So brian sent it to clapton as a tribute and EVH did NOT know that Brian was going to do that. What Clapton then said is: "The bluues is something you have to feel" and EVH reply was: " You are a lousy teacher if you think I don't play with feeling" You can read that in an interview that EDV did with Spammy hagar back 1993. The interview was called : Sam drills Eddie! on a guitar player. You might want to look taht up!

Yeah that might of been a whole different story. But my friend emphasized that Eric Clapton corrected Ed's so called masterpiece.

thefive

jsdspif
    Years ago ('84 or so) I read an article with Ed and he was talking about Alan Holdsworth being great . He said he could play anybodies stuff on guitar except for Alan Holdsworth stuff .

Phil da Stalker

..sniff..

Originally posted by JOE THUNDER, LP
    who the fuck cares anyway?
    ..sniffle.. .. ..dis re-MINDS mme aff wen I met Jay RayCUNTal..

uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh u hu

..mmi dreems wer desTROYied t2..sniff..

..i will neva feeeel da sam agin..

..doe-N'''t DREem yoo'llll onLAY wakk up!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

that was the site I posted above here's the section of the interview

DIAMOND DAVE: Everybody got off easy! Those pencil-weenies all got off easy and they better leave me alone. Beyond that, I'm proud of Van Halen! That was a great and furious team, and of course there's threats of physical violence and great reprimand and harangue and a whole bunch of stuff those pencil-dicks can't even spell! And they know that, and it makes them mad and they can't sleep at night and they fight with their loved ones and their children don't listen to them and their household pets refuse to obey! And all that angst comes out in the music and sells millions of records! And that makes me lucky. If the guitar player would just show up, you and I would be drinking Eurotrash espressos in paper cups backstage at Giants Stadium tomorrow! Voila! Let me send the plane for you, darlin'! We could do that! And it may well be tomorrow, who knows? Eddie Van Halen--and I've said this before because I can't think of any better way to put it--has his own sense of logic, as do all people with some kind of vision, whether it's Eddie Van Halen or the Unabomber. He's using a logic and a program that I don't understand, but then again he leads a very different life than I do. When I was up there [with Van Halen], I was jamming with psychics and therapists and managers and agents and production geeks and somebody's wives. When I joined that band, there were four guys. I think there's a whole lot that has changed in Ed's life, but if it gives him solace and nourishes his very being, then God bless.

thefive
    Originally posted by squib
    that was the site I posted above here's the section of the interview

DIAMOND DAVE: Everybody got off easy! Those pencil-weenies all got off easy and they better leave me alone. Beyond that, I'm proud of Van Halen! That was a great and furious team, and of course there's threats of physical violence and great reprimand and harangue and a whole bunch of stuff those pencil-dicks can't even spell! And they know that, and it makes them mad and they can't sleep at night and they fight with their loved ones and their children don't listen to them and their household pets refuse to obey! And all that angst comes out in the music and sells millions of records! And that makes me lucky. If the guitar player would just show up, you and I would be drinking Eurotrash espressos in paper cups backstage at Giants Stadium tomorrow! Voila! Let me send the plane for you, darlin'! We could do that! And it may well be tomorrow, who knows? Eddie Van Halen--and I've said this before because I can't think of any better way to put it--has his own sense of logic, as do all people with some kind of vision, whether it's Eddie Van Halen or the Unabomber. He's using a logic and a program that I don't understand, but then again he leads a very different life than I do. When I was up there [with Van Halen], I was jamming with psychics and therapists and managers and agents and production geeks and somebody's wives. When I joined that band, there were four guys. I think there's a whole lot that has changed in Ed's life, but if it gives him solace and nourishes his very being, then God bless.
    Thanks squib for looking this up. This is in his book right? or not. I thought maybe I read this in his book under the reunion blues.

thefive

Thread Information