Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

"Van Halen received an upfront sum of $1,000,000 to headline the 1983 US Festival. It was the highest amount an artist had ever been paid to perform at a single concert. In contrast, The Clash refused to play unless some donations were made to charities or other such noble causes by Wozniak and some of the other major bands. After The Clash performed the DJ began speaking right away and Clash guitarist Mick Jones attacked the DJ believing he was trying to prevent an encore.

This and The Clash's ironic criticism of the festival in the press conferences and interviews prior the event caused an argument backstage between Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth and The Clash singer Joe Strummer. This may have also been kickstarted by a comment guitarist Eddie Van Halen made in Rolling Stone magazine one month prior regarding the punk movement ("..that's like what I played in my garage when I was a kid, man.."). A clearly intoxicated Roth compounded this rivalry by insulting The Clash onstage during Van Halen's headlining set and took some humorous jabs at the influential punk band regarding their manhood, drinking habits, and sexual orientation."

LMMFAO I never knew the backstory to the Clash Whiskey Qoute. I mean I knew where it was said and all, But never knew that,
    Last edited by Unchainme; 02-21-2006, 07:45 PM.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

LOL!

Ok it is the..BTB release....from what I can figger out, this was the best version available before this latest thang cummed out on the boot underworld?

I just started watching it. The mpegs will look like shit on TV. At least on mine it did.

Watching it in my Windows Media Player it is great in it's original size...full screen only looks ok from about 10 feet away.....

And the sound is fucking grate.

And GODDAMMIT! I am getting pissed off now that we will most likely never see them do any gigs again.....cause even on this fucking 22 and a half-year old video recording, it still tries to melt my monitor, creating thermonuclear combustion (albeit on a very small scale) on my desktop.

I am holding off on watching the entire thing tonight.

A little birdie is supposed to bring me a reeely groovy DVD in the sometime of nearly the future....if you can dig with a spoon or shovel......

Comment

• rustoffa
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

What video game was Mike playing? Goddamn.....was it a sit-down Ms. Pac Man?
        :confused:

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Man....got Ed's solo on right now....

fucking kewel...

*sigh*

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
            "Van Halen received an upfront sum of $1,000,000 to headline the 1983 US Festival. It was the highest amount an artist had ever been paid to perform at a single concert. In contrast, The Clash refused to play unless some donations were made to charities or other such noble causes by Wozniak and some of the other major bands. After The Clash performed the DJ began speaking right away and Clash guitarist Mick Jones attacked the DJ believing he was trying to prevent an encore.

This and The Clash's ironic criticism of the festival in the press conferences and interviews prior the event caused an argument backstage between Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth and The Clash singer Joe Strummer. This may have also been kickstarted by a comment guitarist Eddie Van Halen made in Rolling Stone magazine one month prior regarding the punk movement ("..that's like what I played in my garage when I was a kid, man.."). A clearly intoxicated Roth compounded this rivalry by insulting The Clash onstage during Van Halen's headlining set and took some humorous jabs at the influential punk band regarding their manhood, drinking habits, and sexual orientation."

LMMFAO I never knew the backstory to the Clash Whiskey Qoute. I mean I knew where it was said and all, But never knew that,
            Dave also took a few more jabs at the Clash during his famous "sitting on top of a table" press conference prior to the show when he said:

"The problem with a lot of these bands, like the Clash, is that you can't take life so goddamn so seriously honey. NO one gets out allllive...no what I'm sayin', man."

Dave was of course tanked at this point.

=V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Nov 2004

Damn, ALL of it is top of of the top stuff. I even didn't zap Mike Anthony's solo... Yes, the video both cheers you up like nothing else and gets you down because you know the following events...

I transfered the gem on divx for my younger bro. He was 8 when we both watched highlights of the Fest on TV back in 1983. That's when he got stung, and I got a hell of a booster shot myself... MCMLXXXIV the following year... Those were the coolest days.
              posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
              posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

That Dave interview afterwards was a riot!

Mark Goodman was clearly getting upset because Dave was not EVEN interested in cooperating enough to give him a straight interview.

Fucking hilarious!!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                  Mark Goodman was clearly getting upset because Dave was not EVEN interested in cooperating enough to give him a straight interview.
                  Well, we can understand Dave... After spending two hours or so in front of a boiling hot 300,000-people audience, winding up backstage with that guy must have surely been too much of a contrast!
                  posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                  posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• wiseguy
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Feb 2004

Oh my god, that interview....
                    That is why we love Dave, to have all that and to be able to give all that he is and has.

Anyone questioning what the big deal about David Lee Roth is needs to be shown this interview in electrolite sound, bombastic picture and with a keg of whiskey to get the jist of Dave.

"i'm proud to say, after all these years of loud music, bright lights and loud noise...I still don't need glasses!!
                    ...I DRINK RIGHT OUTA THE BOTTLE...

God bless you Dave
                    Stay frosty now.
                    Nostalgia is a form of denial. I love denial. I like selective amnesia, too. Mix the two and you've got a hell of a weekend-DLR

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by wiseguy
                      "i'm proud to say, after all these years of loud music, bright lights and loud noise...I still don't need glasses!!
                      ...I DRINK RIGHT OUTA THE BOTTLE...

God bless you Dave
                      he "stole" that joke from dean martin (live at villa venice 1962)...

like the other one...I used to run, but the ice cubes fell out of my glass...
                      Roth Army Icon
                      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
                        What video game was Mike playing? Goddamn.....was it a sit-down Ms. Pac Man?
                        :confused:
                        "The bassist finally gets a groupie."

Comment

• wiseguy
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                          he "stole" that joke from dean martin (live at villa venice 1962)...

like the other one...I used to run, but the ice cubes fell out of my glass...
                          Yes, but i like the way Dave sez it betta, huh.
                          Stay frosty now.
                          Nostalgia is a form of denial. I love denial. I like selective amnesia, too. Mix the two and you've got a hell of a weekend-DLR

Comment

• DaLeeRo
                            Roadie
                            • Mar 2005

Thanks for the link...

Comment

• wiseguy
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Feb 2004

I wish someone could copy that interview to here for our usage.
                              I already have the festival, just not the DLR interview. please help??
                              Stay frosty now.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2005

I would be willing to bet, that it is one of the files I posted above.

It is already here for our usage.

Comment

Working...