Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Eddie Is Not So Great As Vai,satriani,malmsteen...

TMR
    Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
    Very well said. The three technicians don't resonate in my soul the way Eddie does, or at least has.

Eddie got more pretty and more commercial after Dave. But I gotta say I haven't enjoyed Dave quite as much without Ed either. These guys belong together. I believe the conflict spurred greatness in them both.
    Ed has no soul! It died when Dave walked out on the band!

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Big Troubles
    oh my god that is so sad. are you serious dude? he's not better then ed, in terms of creativity, but playing in a pool hall? wow.

if you feel as bad as I do, send $1 to Yngwie Malmsteen c/o.....
    thats fucking funny..lmao
    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    fucking madness

eddie is god!!!!!!!!
    vai is a clone of eddie
    satriani......only good, very good....but the hourse, this is a sound of eddie
    malmsteen, another almost god but now play so dirty and loud, i love malmsteen but clean, the distortion is the wrong way (for eddie is great like in the fuck album)
    george lynch (never the glam rock be so heavy metal) and jason becker, cacoponhy rules!!!!....another gods (for me)
    and hendrix, blackmore, iommi, paige, and all the great guitarrost of the history........and a lot of guitarrist of heavy and progresive

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Malmsteen and Vai are greate guitarists but they left me cold a lot of times. Satriani is really good in my opinion. "Surfing with the Alien" was a great album. Though Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoades paved the way for him.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Flying first class

Originally posted by Switch84
    Yeah, whether you're in first class or coach, you're still on the same plane, but the atmosphere is way better up front, Baby!
    That depends on the people sitting next to you, honey.
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eddie Van Halen is #1 in my book there is more to playing than just technique..it's about feeling...plus he created the foundation for modern rock guitarists in my view......BTW Great to be Back......

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Why Eddie Is Not So Great As Vai,satriani,malmsteen...

Originally posted by Calderone
    Eddie never has been so great as those musicians
    HE IS GREAT ..ok
    but he isn't on that level .. Ed was cool Till 1984 AND im not telling this
    cause dave left.
    maybe dave left at the right time.
    ED ISNT SO COOL
    ITS WAY OVER RATED
    Ed's magic w/ Dave in the early days is untouchable, but you're right, even before 1984 he started to show signs of petering out in terms of being a virtuoso.
    Last edited by light 'em up!; 01-22-2005 at 11:07 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed brought rock guitar playing out of the blues pentatonic doldrums of the 1960s and 70s and into a new era. Those tapped artificial harmonics were on VH albums long before 1984.

EVH's influence is all over Vai and Satriani.

Malmsteen's a bit different, because his style borrows heavily on that European classical thing. Malmsteen is one of the few who came out in the 1980s where you could discern a difference between what he was doing and what EVH did.

Personally, I'm tired of hearing about Vai and 'Satch'. Soulless guitar histrionics without purpose to these ears. Vai, Satriani and Malmsteen all function best in an instrumental setting. No wonder they teamed up for G3. Imagine trying to front a band with one of those guys as a guitar player, incessantly wanking even during the verses.

EVH, Vai/Satriani (feel totally comfortable lumping those two together) and Malmsteen had three different objectives, goals and styles: how the fuck do you quantify who is the 'best'? It's music, dude. Not sports. What gets you off musically may well do nothing for someone else.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed's been a rather predictable guitarist post 1984...his creativity has been tremendously stumped over the years, but what he's accomplished over the career, and what influence he's had during the whole run, has been nothing short of astonishing...as far as his skill level is concerned, he's great, but of course we've all seen much better in our local bars in some aspect - better technique, better timing, etc etc...it's a young mans game, this music biz, and there's always someone coming along in the next generation to show up the last...well, usually, anyway...

It's kind of hard comparing, say, Malmsteen to Van Halen because they're entirely two different styles of players - I wouldn't rate one's skill level above the other, but I will say this: if it were to come down to a soloing competition ALONE, Malmsteen, as he is today, would beat the ever loving shit out of Edward. Hate to say it, but Malmsteen's chops, speed of playing and fluidity have lost nothing over the years - if anything, they've improved. Can't say that for Ed, because he's been playing the same guitar solo since 1985 and I'm hard pressed to believe he could come up with anything else at this point.
    Twistin' by the pool.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Ed is still better than all those guys, i bet he could keep up with them, but as someone mentioned in this thread earlier was that Ed did change the way ppl viewed how the guitar was played, and he made a much larger impact than any of those other guys, and if it wernt for him, where would Vai be. Ed played with emotion n thats what drew people to him. With Vai and satriani its just soloing and nothing more, which is cool but can be tiring soon

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vai, Satch, Malmsteen...without Ed, they'd have STILL been big; I really don't care much for debating about who's more of an "emotional" guitar player over the other...generally speaking, I think emotion is as emotion does when it comes to the guitar, and there's plenty of feeling in Yngwie's, Steve's and Joe's styles.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well you really need to give credit where it's due.
    Everyone one of the guitarist named in this post are Greats in the own right! Different technics, but equally as impressive either on techinical abilitys , or the flavor of the note arrangements!
    Sounds to me like there are people here that would also say BB King Sucks? He can put more feeling in one slow note than most players.
    Personally I can not knock anyone that has seen the Big Stage!
    Fast, Slow, or whatever style they have.
    If you listen hard enough you can pick up a tip in anyones playing style , and strengthen your own musical vocabulary.
    Its easy to bash players when you have a Narrow point of view?
    Although everyone has there own opinion.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Satriani and Malmsteen get me bored like hell, especially the latter. Except posturing like saying "hey, you seen how great I am?!", showing off about their (sure) high TECHNICAL skills, what's the point in their music? It's music for guitarists, that's all.
    Vai, apart from what he did with Dave, pisses me off too. The 3 of them play difficult stuff for certain, but their melodies are rarely "accurate", as long as they get truly melodic. And they aren't songwriters to me. That's simple: what classic have they ever written on their own??
    Ed VH needn't be envious, as far as cfafts are concerned. He's always used his high skills for the sake of music. He's a MELODIST, and our memories will tell!
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vai is not a song writer? Who writes all his music then? It seems most of Vai's fans are musicians as a lot of people can't relate or don't understand whats going on. People can like whoever they want as it is totally subjective but objectively speeking Ed could never play ALL of Vai's stuff where Vai can play ALL of Ed's stuff easily. Very easily. Steve could be more commercial like Ed if he wanted to but he like Yngwie is true to his vision for better or worse. It may not sound like it but I am a huge EVH fan, I just like all of them for different reasons. I think we can all agree that ED should pull his head out and not waste all of his talent and get busy. NOW

Beer Drinker&Hell Raiser
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Hummarstra
    ... He is also the ONLY songwriter of the bunch. Forgot that, didn't you?
    An excellent point.
    "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Beer Drinker&Hell Raiser
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by perticelli
    This is now entering the realm of the ridiculous...
    Didn't we arrive there a long time ago, 'round here?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Comes down to what gets you off in the end.

As a guitarist, I have an appreciation for what Vai, Satriani and Malmsteen can do. A lot easier technically to cop Eddie's licks than those of the other three, at least for me.

But Ed still does it for me in a way that those three never have. Might have to do with Eddie being first out of the gate...by the time those three rolled around and really got noticed, Eddie had already defined the genre.

Will say that Malmsteen's solos have the best sense of melody out of the Vai/Satriani/Malmsteen triumvirate.

Thread Information