Who ?Else is Not Watching the Shit-Fest None as The Oscars.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Even though Rourke didn't win, this movie has completely turned his career around. That's great news for him. He's gonna be rollin' in dough and get lots of parts in some big time movies. So he already won something much better than a statue for The Wrestler. Just take a peek at the upcoming projects he is working on.

As for the show itself, I always enjoy the "In Memorium" piece near the end. Although I find it a bit tasteless how some of the deceased get a much bigger applause than others. But then, why the fuck are they applauding the dead? That always seems a bit morbid. I know, I know...the applause is for their career work, but it just seems like "this actor died.....WOOT!"
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist

As for the show itself, I always enjoy the "In Memorium" piece near the end. Although I find it a bit tasteless how some of the deceased get a much bigger applause than others. But then, why the fuck are they applauding the dead? That always seems a bit morbid. I know, I know...the applause is for their career work, but it just seems like "this actor died.....WOOT!"
      I think some get more applause than others because they're recognized. I don't know how that display looked in the theater, but they got the camera angles all wrong this time. I couldn't even see the names of most of those dead people, so if I was going to applaud any of them, it would only be the ones whose faces I recognized. Which probably would have been Paul Newman, Roy Scheider, Charlton Heston, and maybe one or two others.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Sean Penn is a great actor, but Mickey was robbed tonight.....
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
          I should think the oversized paychecks these actors get for participating in what these days are mostly formulaic, shite movies would be enough in terms of self-gratification.
          Nah, the oversized paycheck should be given to the people who slave over a oversized set, the lights, the props, etc...

They do the real work anyway.
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
            ...Charlton Heston
            Really?

I think he was actually a bit of a dickhead.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DLR7884
              What the fuck does he care about gay marriage?
              He wants to legitimize his fisting fun with his boyfriend?

I assume the guy at 0:53 is his boyfriend?

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                Veteran
                • May 2004

He gave props to Mickey. That was totally cool.
                But he should have turned his award over to Mickey,......Mickey was fuckin ROBBED.

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

Sthaun Penn wasth fantaahsthtick..

Thisth movie wasth sthenthasional, it'sth really about doggone time thesthe issthuse are dicksthcussthed out in the open, my gawd..

I love the Academy Awardsth Sthshow, I do I really do and the gownsth are gorgeousth thisth time around, teooow..

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    Really?

I think he was actually a bit of a dickhead.
                    No, I wasn't saying I was a fan, I was saying he was one of the few stiffs I would have recognized, out of all those random images of dead people flashing on the screen.

Though they should have run the clip where he said they could pry his gun from his cold dead hands (you goddamn filthy apes!!)
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Satan
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Mickey Rourke was better when he was playing opposite DeNiro's portrayal of my Most Unholy self.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ecg0y-5Pwm0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ecg0y-5Pwm0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                      Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                      I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                        Mickey Rourke was better when he was playing opposite DeNiro's portrayal of my Most Unholy self.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ecg0y-5Pwm0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ecg0y-5Pwm0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                        Satan, was the movie accurate in portraying you as someone who likes hard-boiled eggs?
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Angel
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
                          Mickey didn't get paid for the movie....and he worked his fucking nuts off for 7 months actually becoming a wrestler.

He shoulda won period. He sweeped every other awards show, why not the Oscars?

Cuz they had to award it to Sean Penn playing a poofter. That's why.

Welcome to Hollywood.
                          I haven't seen either movie yet, so I can't say he was robbed.

BOF, have you seen both movies, or are you basing this on the fact that Penn was playing a gay man? I'm anxious to see both movies now, and THEN I'll state my honest opinion.

The director told Rourke that he couldn't pay him, but that he guaranteed him an oscar nomination. That nomination is worth FAR MORE than what he would have been paid had this not been a low-budget film.

I'll just have to see whose performance I find more believable before I can make an opinion.

Sean Penn is one hell of an actor, and from the sounds of it the director pulled one hell of a performance out of Rourke... sounds like possibly one that could have gone either way.
                          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Satan
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                            Satan, was the movie accurate in portraying you as someone who likes hard-boiled eggs?
                            Never could stand them actually. Either give me a decent Spanish omelette or forget the eggs altogether.

It was all about the symbolism though. The egg as a symbol of the soul, and the Devil "eating" a soul.
                            Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                            I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Angel
                              The director told Rourke that he couldn't pay him, but that he guaranteed him an oscar nomination. That nomination is worth FAR MORE than what he would have been paid had this not been a low-budget film.
                              the positive reviews aren't hurting either.
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Satan

Yes and more convincing due to the fact that he had a face then.

Comment

Working...