Thread: New stuff is customized and old stuff has to be factory original. Humans are wierd.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

New stuff is customized and old stuff has to be factory original. Humans are wierd.

What's funny is when someone goes out and buys a new guitar or whatever, the first thing they want to do is upgrade the factory original hardware with new stuff. We want to personalize it or make it better for our use. Deffinately want to get new pickups!

Then when years go buy, we want the factory original shit. We want the flimbsy Tune-O-Matic bridge that bends or the Kluson tuning keys we couldn't wait to replace with Schallers or Grovers.

It's just a wierd form of idol worship isn't it?

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hasn't happened with me... yet.

But I guess it's a futile attempt at restoring the thing (and raising the price) on a small scale.
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The vintage market is so overblown. People think if it's from the 50's, 60's, or 70's it's gotta be good. I was having a good conversation with a guy who's in his 80's who ran a pawn shop and music shop for most his adult life and he knows guitars.

He's seen it all come through and he was telling me how lousey the early Tune-O-Matic bridges were, how the workmanship was always an up and down proposition.

He said he once toured the old Fender plant in Fullerton, CA and they were cutting the necks out on band saws and then shaping them with huge band sanders. He said that play had saw dust flying all over the place. The final neck shape was based on the guy who shaped it by hand. That's why those old Strats really varied and not all of them were good.

Leo Fender bought what ever body wood he could negotiate the best price on. That's why some were ash and others were alder. Some might even be poplar.

In those days people weren't as concerned about wood or it's tone as we are today.

Some vintage instruments were good and others were shit.

When after market parts that were better than the origianls became more widely available, people upgraded their bridges, pickups, and tuning pegs.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Tune-O-Matics don't bend. LOL I hope you meant Bigsbys.

The fact of the matter is guitars and amps, just like classic cars, are worth more if they are all original. Only exceptions are guitars and amps that have been owned by big name players.

I actually get pissed off at people who mod old amps, because a lot of times they fuck it up...especially with old Marshalls. I've seen a lot of vintage amps hacked to fucking hell just to add a master volume on the front panel. Drills on Plexis is blasphemy. If you must do something like that, then there are plenty of resources available to obtain parts to either build a replica and perform such a mod, or buy a new amp that is close to what you want.

Same thing on guitars. Replacing pickups is one thing (as long as no routing is involved), but hacking up a precious early Strat to plop in a PAF is fucked up. Or routing out that old Les Paul to put a Kahler or Floyd on it...that's just awful. Nowdays you can buy the guitar with what you want...no need in fucking up a piece of history.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's why I started building my own shit. By the time I bought an ash Strat, then turned around and replaced the neck, tuners, pickups...I could've built two of my mutt creations. It's way more cost effective, and you get exactly what you want. I'm contemplating building a (Metro) Marshall plexi replica kit rather than A) pay 3k for an original and B) turning around and instantly fucking it up modding it...
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

NeKoRb
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes this is very true ! I love the jackson kellys i have 3 and the 1st thing i did was put pickups in them . The jackson pickups are ok but i love the dimebucker so i have them in all my kellys and in the neck i have paf pros i don't use a tone so i put a faze switch in the holes on the k5s and the k3 don't use a tone . I have a S.R.V. strat and i had to trade out the pickups and the bridge , i never had to cut the body and i still have the old stuff but it just makes the guitar less playful if you ask me . If you get a old guitar and start taking stuff off and putting new on you should just go to eaby and get parts and not mess up a great old guitar .

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    By bending I meant the old spindly Tune-O-Matics with the thin metal. They would actually bending down from pressure from your hand if you rested your hand on them over time.

I get sick when someone buys an all original, restored car and chop it into a rat rod. Go buy yourself a modern frame and put aftermartket panels on it. Don't chop an original Model A or Model B Ford that's in restored condition or original. That's shit.

To be honest, I've never heard a modded old Marshall that sounded better than a good modern tube amp. Save the money and buy a modern high gain amp with master volume and yeah, Marshall makes those too.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What cracks me up is that when I started playing...the mid 1980's....70's Strats were considered to be JUNK....only the pre-CBS Strats were considered "Vintage"....

And...as the supply of old guitars dried up...now those "junk" Strats are considered "collectable".....

"To Each their own..."

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    To be honest, I've never heard a modded old Marshall that sounded better than a good modern tube amp. Save the money and buy a modern high gain amp with master volume and yeah, Marshall makes those too.
    I'll take an old Marshall, or a boutique replica, over any new amp out there. All of these modern amps are too damn buzzy and have no definition, including any Marshall built after the JCM800 line. Gimme the amps that gave us all of those Hendrix, Beck, Page, Clapton, Van Halen, ZZ Top, AC/DC, etc., etc., tones.

Oh I see what you meant about the Tune-O-Matic. Just misunderstood you originally.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Matt White
    What cracks me up is that when I started playing...the mid 1980's....70's Strats were considered to be JUNK....only the pre-CBS Strats were considered "Vintage"....

And...as the supply of old guitars dried up...now those "junk" Strats are considered "collectable".....

"To Each their own..."
    I laugh at that too. Yeah, Fender was considered pure shit in the 70's and 80's. Now a 70's Strat with a three bolt neck that won't stay put is a vintage guitar. It never ends. When a Kramer Striker becomes collectable, then I will know I'm old as shit.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BrownSound1
    I'll take an old Marshall, or a boutique replica, over any new amp out there. All of these modern amps are too damn buzzy and have no definition, including any Marshall built after the JCM800 line. Gimme the amps that gave us all of those Hendrix, Beck, Page, Clapton, Van Halen, ZZ Top, AC/DC, etc., etc., tones.

Oh I see what you meant about the Tune-O-Matic. Just misunderstood you originally.
    For a classic rock sound, YOU BET! Vintage amps of the era of course but why chop those and modify them into buzzsaws? If someone wants high gain, buy a modern high gain amp.

Thread Information