• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Chimpy Signs Bill That Did Not Pass The House Of Representatives

Published: Wednesday March 15, 2006

Representative Henry Waxman (D-CA) has alleged in a letter to White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card that President Bush signed a version of the Budget Reconciliation Act that, in effect, did not pass the House of Representatives.

Further, Waxman says there is reason to believe that the Speaker of the House called President Bush before he signed the law, and alerted him that the version he was about to sign differed from the one that actually passed the House. If true, this would put the President in willful violation of the U.S. Constitution.

The full text of the letter follows:

March 15, 2006

The Honorable Andrew Card

Chief of Staff

The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. Card:

On February 8, 2006, President Bush signed into law a version of the Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2005 that was different in substance from the version that passed the U.S. House of Representatives. Legal scholars have advised me that the substantive differences between the versions - which involve $2 billion in federal spending - mean that this bill did not meet the fundamental constitutional requirement that both Houses of Congress must pass any legislation signed into law by the President.

I am writing to learn what the President and his staff knew about this constitutional defect at the time the President signed the legislation.

Detailed background about the legislation and its constitutional defects are contained in a letter I sent last month to House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, which I have enclosed with this letter.[1] In summary, the House-passed version of the legislation required the Medicare program to lease "durable medical equipment," such as wheelchairs, for seniors and other beneficiaries for up to 36 months, while the version of the legislation signed by the President limited the duration of these leases to just 13 months. As the Congressional Budget Office reported, this seemingly small change from 36 months to 13 months has a disproportionately large budgetary impact, cutting Medicare outlays by $2 billion over the next five years.[2]

I understand that a call was made to the White House before the legislation was signed by the President advising the White House of the differences between the bills and seeking advice about how to proceed. My understanding is that the call was made either by the Speaker of the House to the President or by the senior staff of the Speaker to the senior staff of the President.

I would like to know whether my understanding is correct. If it is, the implications are serious.

The Presentment Clause of the U.S. Constitution states that before a bill can become law, it must be passed by both Houses of Congress.[3] When the President took the oath of office, he swore to "preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States," which includes the Presentment Clause. If the President signed the Reconciliation Act knowing its constitutional infirmity, he would in effect be placing himself above the Constitution.

I do not raise this issue lightly. Given the gravity of the matter and the unusual circumstances surrounding the Reconciliation Act, Congress and the public need a straightforward explanation of what the President and his staff knew on February 8, when the legislation was signed into law.

Sincerely,

Henry A. Waxman Ranking Minority Member

Enclosure

[1] See Letter from Rep. Henry A. Waxman to Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (Feb. 14, 2006).

[2] See Letter from CBO Acting Director Donald Marron to Rep. John M. Spratt, Jr. (Feb. 13, 2006).

[3] U.S. Constitution, Article I, � 7.

• FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Another day, another Chimpeachable offense.

Now bring on the denials......
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ODShowtime
      ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

This is so huge and so outrageuos and so treacherous, and I bet it's true. You know why? Because they have no more credibility.

Too bad most folks won't understand the implications and it will be swept under the rug.

Well, we had a good run. 240 or so years? Not bad.
      gnaw on it

Comment

• BigBadBrian
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

When Clinton signed Executive Orders without Congressional approval one of his aides said this:

"Stroke of the pen. Law of the Land. Kinda cool."
        Paul Begala, former Clinton advisor, The New York Times, July 5, 1998

Of course, now hypocrisy reigns supreme.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Guitar Shark
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Executive orders don't require congressional approval, idiot.
          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
          Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
            No shit, Sherlock.

The ambulances not out on their runs today?

My point is....this accusation is most likely BS and just another partisan hack job. Keep looking......
            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
              No shit, Sherlock.

My point is....this accusation is most likely BS and just another partisan hack job. Keep looking......
              So when President Feingold totally rewrites a bill written by a Republican, you'll be fine with that?
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                Catheter would have punched you in the face for that
                Originally posted by Kristy
                Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                Originally posted by cadaverdog
                I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Where you guys get this stuff from?

Comment

• ODShowtime
                    ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

No shit, Sherlock.

No, your point was that Clinton did the same thing. Not only was it tired, but also irrelevant and incorrect.
                    gnaw on it

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

It was cute the way he tried to explain it away, though, huh?
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Yeah, let's get on Clinton for his other fuck-ups. We don't need anything else heaped on top.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

When Clinton signed Executive Orders without Congressional approval one of his aides said this:

"Stroke of the pen. Law of the Land. Kinda cool."
                          Paul Begala, former Clinton advisor, The New York Times, July 5, 1998

Of course, now hypocrisy reigns supreme.

If Chimpy signs legislation that was not passed by Congress, it is NOT the law of the land.

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Then what's your beef?

Comment

• Cathedral
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                              Catheter would have punched you in the face for that
                              Damn straight, and he's a lawyer, so i'd have to piss on him too...

Comment

Working...