Thread: Full New Michael Anthony Interview

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Full New Michael Anthony Interview

VAN HALEN Bassist On Status Of Band - "We're On Temporary Hiatus That Possibly Could Become Permanent"
    2006-03-17 08:51:27

Burrn! Magazine, published in Japan, is famous for their worldwide exclusive interviews. VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony was interviewed by John "Shooter" Harrell in February 2006 for the April issue, which is out now. Melodicrock.com has posted the following "rough" translation of the interview.

Michael Anthony comments on the following...

The Van Halen 2004 reunion tour:
    "Well in general the reunion tour was great because it had been since 1998 that we played as Van Halen anywhere and it doesn't take very long for me after we finish a tour, it only takes a matter of weeks before I'm ready to get up and play in front of people again. So in that respect it was great getting out there and playing again and you know it's like when everybody got back together again, from outward appearances everything seemed fine but we had a few bumps because old things came back up again from time to time on the road between Sammy (Hagar) and Eddie (Van Halen) so it was a little bit shaky. Actually the tour didn't end with as much fanfare as I would have liked it to or hoped it would but we got through it."

On the new business arrangements within the band for the 2004 re-union:
    "I was not going to just sit home and do nothing and that kind of upset the Van Halen brothers for whatever reason I can't understand myself. But basically when this whole reunion thing started Ed really didn't want me to be part of it. I don't know how he was going to call it a reunion (laughs) but I basically had to work out a deal with Irving Azoff's management company in order to be part of this thing. I kind of sucked it up a bit and I made less money but the way I looked at it was, if this possibly was the last tour that Van Halen would ever do then I'd be kicking myself because I wasn't a part of it and I want to be a part of it, even more so than the money so I sucked it all up and came on and did it. I did it for the fans."

On being nicknamed 'Cannonmouth' for his distinct backing vocals:
    "They use to call me that in the early days. Basically Eddie's and my voice were actually I think pretty much as signature as Eddie's playing or anything else as far as the sound we had and it's kind of been that way all the way up through the years. Unfortunately though when we did the Van Halen 3 record with Gary Cherone, Ed wanted to sing more and so he sang a lot more of the backgrounds with Gary and I sang a lot less and there was a lot of negative feedback about that."

A making the re-union happen and attempts previously with David Lee Roth:
    "I used to needle Sam a bit and say hey, it'd be great (getting back together). We tried to make this thing work with Roth three times and each time it was even worse than the time before. We tried to do a new album with him and his ego just wouldn't let it happen and the third time that we tried to do it with him was more like, let's see if we can just play some dates and just get along with him and he still for some reason couldn't humble himself enough to just being one of the guys again here.
    Sammy was out here at a relative's wedding I think staying down at the beach and he actually called Al. So Al went down and met with him and they hung out for the whole day and got along great and at that point then it was just kind of like well, let's see what we can do as far as putting Sam and Ed back together. I knew that Al (Alex Van Halen) wanted to get out and play again too because he basically had done nothing because the only person that he plays with is Ed. He doesn't get out and jam with anybody else. So one thing led to another and then (laughs) there was my involvement. You know, I'm the guy who kind of helped put this thing together and then Ed didn't even want me to be a part of it (laughs). I thought it was kind of funny."

And on the 2004 tour and tensions within the band:
    "We got along great. Obviously there was tension between the brothers, basically Ed and Sammy's tequila thing because he was never happy about that, the whole Cabo Wabo thing. And a lot of these arenas that we were playing in sold Cabo Wabo and even though that really had nothing to do with Sammy because he sells to people and then the buildings, the venues buys the stuff and Sammy doesn't sell to them. So I think Ed would get a little put off when he'd see a lot of Cabo Wabo banners up around the arenas and sometimes that would even create some tension onstage and offstage. There were nights where you know you have that after the show flight on the jet and things would sometimes be a little tense on that plane and without getting into any great detail there came a point to where we actually split it up and we traveled on two different jets; Eddie and Al would fly on one jet and Sammy and I would fly on another. This was only to keep the peace and that sucks just like anything else that even turns into a big business you know, sports or anything. A lot of times you almost lose the reason in the first place of why you got into doing it you know, making music and getting laid (laughs) and it all turns into big business. It got to the point to where I couldn't even see this thing going on much longer without either somebody blowing up on somebody or whatever. So Sammy finally said, I'm not doing any more dates because this is just not working. When we first started out I was fully ready to do it because I thought we were going to go to Japan, Europe, South America, you know, do the thing that we should have done, like, big band reunites but unfortunately that wasn't going to be. [Ed] did not want Sammy doing any promoting of his stuff at all using the Van Halen name but a lot of that you don't have any control over. I came out with a hot sauce about the same time we were putting the tour together and the local radio station here in Los Angeles KLOS, they would talk about the tour and then they would talk about my hot sauce. Well the brothers caught wind of that and they thought that I had my people, as they would say "my people", calling the radio station and telling them to pump my hot sauce on Van Halen's dime here or whatever and they finally asked me to have my people "cease and desist", I remember that distinctly. But I didn't have a damn thing to do with that and I have no control over what the radio station said. In fact, gee isn't this one of the benefits that you're supposed to reap from all these years of success, that you can be able to go off and do something like that and promote something? They went on and they (the brothers) had their lawyers call every radio station that we were going to play at in every city and told them specifically they were not to mention Cabo Tequila or my Mad Anthony's Hot Sauce in the same sentence with Van Halen!"

On Eddie's son Wolfgang joining the band on tour:
    "Oh it was great. I think he has grown up to be a great kid. I think he's a great player and he jumped up there on the drums a few times during sound check and shit the kid can play drums too you know!"

On recording/filming the tour for possible CD/DVD release:
    Well we did video every night for the screens up onstage but no, there was no actual film crew or anything brought in.We had always talked about doing a thing and Sammy did his called The Long Road To Cabo and I was on a pretty major part of that.

JH: Oh is that the one where they left your ass at the hotel (laughs)?
    "Yeah and as much as some people thought that we planned that out, they left me at the hotel and one of the camera guys just happened to be back that night because he wasn't going to the show and I called him up and told him to get his camera and his ass over here to my room, we've got to video all this because they have fuckin' left me here. But you know, that would have been great to have something like that happen with Van Halen you know; have the cameras following us around onstage, backstage, days off, whatever. Just witnessing the way that Sammy did it, it could have been huge if we did it because people love to see that kind of shit. AEROSMITH, everybody has done that kind of thing."

On Van Halen's failure to be nominated for the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame:
    "I would have thought that we would have been nominated, voted in and inducted the first year that we were eligible, which would have been like 3 years ago or something like that. But for whatever reasons they have, maybe a lot of the people that vote you in are looking at the drama that this band has gone through and figured well, they don't deserve it yet. I don't know, but that's the only thing that I can come up with. Other than that it's like I have no idea. But I tell you it would be one damn interesting show when they ask us to get together and play for the induction ceremony. I know Dave; he'll be there a week ahead of the show just waiting."

On the last time he saw David Lee Roth:
    "It was when him and Sammy toured together, what is that, four years ago now? He would kind of pull his hat down and just walk by me because I tell you one of the first shows that I did with those guys I forget where we were at but I had a few drinks and I went into Dave's dressing room after the show and I just unloaded on him, on what was his problem that we could not make this reunion work? And all he kept saying was, you're right, you're right. I told him, look at them out there; when you go out there and this is the beginning of the tour and he actually impressed me at the beginning of the tour but as the tour went on boy by the last show they didn't even do the last show of the tour that I was out there because they couldn't do it; Dave just started pulling shenanigans left and right. Most nights Sammy and I would pound on his door and say come on out and numerous times invited him to come out onstage and do an encore, all three of us together but it never happened."

On recording a new album with Roth:
    "We were going to do videos for the songs [on the Best Of Volume 1] and everything but Roth was really trying to take control and we finally just said, let's not even do the videos for these songs because he's going to kill the whole thing and so it fell apart.
    But yeah, before that tour yeah, we tried to make it work. We went into the studio and it was kind of funny because we first got together in the studio and we were all in the one room together and we did Hot For Teacher, Mean Street and a few other songs and it's the weirdest thing because once we started playing it was like, son of a bitch, there it is, that's the magic! It was like a big déjà vu because it was the original band playing again and it sounded pretty fuckin' good too! But then of course the longer we spent in the studio, you know we had two or three different producers in there trying to work with us and Dave would just come in with tapes of the Chemical Brothers, all different kinds of weird stuff and say hey, let's do a song like this and Ed was having a hard time dealing with him, a real hard time dealing with him and Al was saying, well, let's do a couple of things that Roth likes to do and then let's just do our thing. I don't know if we had a complete album's worth of stuff but we were pretty damn close and unfortunately, there you go with Dave again and we just couldn't finish it and all those old reasons why he left the band in the first place they started surfacing you know. He went right back to his old ways. I mean even if you just wanted to look at it purely look at it from a money standpoint that guy was hurting for money. And it was like Dave, I mean he couldn't even put his ego aside if he wanted to go out and make $50 million and you know you've got a pretty large ego when you're going to give that all up even just because you don't get your way on something. I couldn't understand it."

On those new tunes:
    "For the most part it was actually pretty good. I don't think Ed would ever let it out though. I've got some demo stuff at home, they didn't even really want me to take any stuff home but I ended up with some stuff at home anyway. I'd never do anything behind the other guys' backs with any of it so it'll just sit in my box in the archives and maybe one of my grandkids or grandkid's boyfriends will put something out one day (laughs) or steal it (laughs)."

On the Best Of Both Worlds Compilation and those three new songs:
    "You know when we did the Best Of Both Worlds we had problems with Roth because of what he wanted and didn't want on the CD, how much he wanted to get paid and so on. So there was a point to where we were just going to say okay Dave, if that's the way you want it, we had some live versions of some of the old Van Halen songs and we were just going to tell Dave, okay if that's the way you want it we won't even put you on this record, you won't make a dime off it! I mean he was being difficult on that thing and what we wanted to do was the one disc with Sammy and the other disc with Dave plus the three new songs and Dave was even making that difficult but in the end he folded. I think he was just trying to pull a power play. Bad stuff (laughs). I knew that we weren't going to do a whole new album with Sammy on this reunion thing. The time that it was taking in the studio to do these three songs it would have taken us a couple of years to do an entire album. And like I said, once it started to get put together Irving Azoff really pushed it, speeded us along to get us out there and so it just turned out to be well, let's just do these three songs. And to tell you the truth and I'll say this for the record: I didn't play bass on any of those three songs on there. I wasn't even in the band yet when those three songs were done. I came aboard and I sang backgrounds on them but the music was already done and I wasn't even back in the band as far as the reunion part of it yet when the music was done. So that was kind of tough for me but it's like hey, it is what it is and I don't think Ed really talked about it much but if anybody asks me I'm not embarrassed to say that I didn't play bass on them because I wasn't part of the band at that point."

On the difference between Roth and Hagar:
    "There was magic with both of them. Once Hagar joined the band he brought a new level of musicianship to the band and like Eddie always use to say, he could play anything that he wanted now because Sammy could sing anything. He (Sammy) definitely had a better range. When Sammy joined the band that's when I really had to start working on the backgrounds; the background vocals were a little bit more, uh, not tougher but with Dave there was never any problem singing backgrounds because he didn't have a huge range like Sammy did.
    I think and there was still magic with Dave too because I mean a lot that we did back then was really cutting edge from Ed's guitar playing to all these little clones that Dave spawned...they were all there because all these guys wanted to be him."

On the new side-band THE OTHER HALF:
    "This stems from the fact that the Van Halen brothers, namely Ed, do not want to go out and play Van Halen right now or anytime soon. Sammy and I last year on his birthday decided one night that we were going to play because normally it's Sammy's band that plays and I get up there and jam with him and we do some Van Halen stuff and it's all fine. But last year we decided one night that the whole show will be nothing but Van Halen; I'm going to get up there, Sammy and his guitarist Vic Johnson and drummer Dave Lauser and we're going to do a Van Halen set. And somehow we came up with this thing calling us The Other Half and the show came off, I mean people loved it! And it came off so great that we started thinking well God, and I go on the Internet everyday and I'm checking out what fans are saying and try to keep in touch with what's going on as much as I can with our fan base and people do want to hear the music. There were a lot of great comments that came from us doing that thing down there and we were like, hey you know, we want to go out and we want to play the stuff and the fans want to hear it. So we're going to go out this summer, we're putting together the thing that we're calling The Other Half and we're going to play Van Halen and do it right, do a nice production and not me just jamming with his band; you know, we're going to go and play it and the only reason is because the brothers aren't wanting to go out and play it for the fans. Now if they want to come out and play, they're invited! If they want to come out and do it and do Van Halen and do it the right way and have fun, let's go, let's do it, I'm ready right now. But the interest is really there and Sammy and I want to go out and we want to play these songs. The Wabos will open the show and we're going to put together a good production, the lights, sound, everything will all be put together really nice and we will play all Van Halen material. Right now we're actually talking about me opening up the set with my solo and if we do that then we'll probably have to go into Runnin' With The Devil or something and I'll sing that. So we'll do a little bit more classic Van Halen, I'm digging right now to see if we can pull a couple of more obscure ones out of the hat and I'm going to sing them so I'll be doing more lead vocals, which is great."

On the current status of Van Halen:
    "Well never say never but we're currently in a state of limbo. After the reunion tour ended so abruptly we all went into our own corners and truthfully Ed doesn't want to tour right now or maybe ever again. I don't know what he's thinking at this point. So I would say that we're on a temporary hiatus that possibly could become permanent, you never know. With that said I realize that's not much of an answer but that's really where things are right now and tomorrow it could all change again."
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Fucking Metal
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great interview...Thanks!

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    I now believe Dave has to put his ego aside for the band, the fans and for the reunion he wants so badly. I know you dont want to change Dave, but $50 million dude?

And I guess Dave was hurting for cash? We were SO fucking close to a reunion. Every member of that band has to ask themselves what they REALLY want to do. And then DO IT!
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    wow...great read...bass player...maybe he becomes a real man one day....
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Fucking Deadward....that egotistical cocksucker.....

He did not even want the bass player to be the bass player any more.

What kind of pompous fucktard has he become?

Christ....

Why don't those fuking idiots just make a big aonnouncement that "Van Halen" is history?

Put an official end to it.

LMFAO!!!

So now Spam and the bass player are going to go out and perform Van Halen material, because Deadward and Alex Wifeybeat can't get off their lazy motherfucking asses and go out and tour.

There can be no CVH reunion.

That much is evident.

They need to do some official DVD releases of CVH concerts and let the VH name just die.

However, they are so fucking stupid about it that the legacy of Van Halen's name will be that of an arrogant asshole who should be gratefule to his fans for giving him his mansion, his Ferraris, his guitars, his actress wife and EVEN HIS FUCKING SON!!!!

Wolfgang should thank Ed's fans, as if it were not for the success of Van Halen, Wolfy would not even be alive!

I think the only way for this to end is for Ed to smoke so much meth he has a heart attack and dies....

He won't end it, so substance abuse or alcoholism is the only way to end Van Halen.

Ed is a pathetic excuse for a "successful Rock Musician".

And no, Uncle Dave is not "innocent as the driven snow" in this.

He needs to get down on his fucking knees and beg the Sistahs and the bass player to be allowed to do a reunion tour.

His ego is just as big as Deadward's.

If they did a reunion tour, why couldn't they just call it "The Egomaniacal Power Trip"?

Last edited by Hardrock69; 03-17-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh please Dave's as big a prick as Ed according to this interview. Fuck both of them.

I guess you guys can forget any reunion thing ever, the band is pretty much a done deal forever, in any form.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree with Hardrock69 - just tell us it's over!!! This hanging on crap is getting pretty old. If anything, put out some old unreleased CVH cds and dvds and let the fans eat it up. You know there has to be tons of material that hasn't seen the light of day and would do well if it was released - I don't get why Eddie is even holding this back from the fans.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    I agree with Brett on this one. Bot Dave and Ed are the ones fucking things up. Ed's greed and Daves ego. The bass player has always been an easy target, but really, the only thing I dont like about him is his "twirling on his back, wearing a cape breakdance" when doing his solo. As for Al, I believe Mike when he said Al is anxious to just do some work, whether they do some of Dave's "new" radical stuff or just fucking play old classic shit.

Dave needs a reality check and Edward needs to be told that he has enough money now and it is supposed to be about the fans that made them, not how much money they can make.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The ONLY way I see a reunion now, is if Dave folds in a bit and Edward gets some counselling.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know what I think might work?

Remember that Motley Crue VH1 special where cameras followed them round whilst they were in the reuniting process? Well, the arguments between the band members were quite limited-I had the feeling they were playing down for the cameras. If cameras followed Van Halen round whilst they were in the process of reuniting, then Dave wouldn't want to come across as overly egotistical and Ed wouldn't want to come across as the world's biggest dick, so they would probably tone it down-this way, the reunion might work (of course cameras would have to be round them all the time, but that could all be an extra on a DVD).
    Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    thats retarded, of course dave is going to be worried about money...wasnt he the guy that was fucked over by the van halens and the bass player before. if i was dave i would have done the same thing. its also stupid how they say "Dave's ego" because he brought in chemical bros., its not ego its him wanting to put a new spin on vh music, but the sisters are too set in their ways to do anything.

all i know is that IF there is ever a reunion i hope they come to my city at the beginning because i know if its near the end the show will suck, or just be cancelled
    R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Loaded LikeAFreightTrain
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "There was magic with both of them. Once Hagar joined the band he brought a new level of musicianship to the band and like Eddie always use to say, he could play anything that he wanted now because Sammy could sing anything. He (Sammy) definitely had a better range.
    I think and there was still magic with Dave too because I mean a lot that we did back then was really cutting edge from Ed's guitar playing to all these little clones that Dave spawned...they were all there because all these guys wanted to be him."

Exactly, ED's Playing Sucked Under Hagar. And Sammy could sing any note above the treble clef and gay it up.

"But then of course the longer we spent in the studio, you know we had two or three different producers in there trying to work with us and Dave would just come in with tapes of the Chemical Brothers, all different kinds of weird stuff and say hey, let's do a song like this and Ed was having a hard time dealing with him, a real hard time dealing with him and Al was saying, well, let's do a couple of things that Roth likes to do and then let's just do our thing."

I don't know maybe dave was trying to cut through the cheese. He is the man with the internal disco rythymn. Remember last time dave had his way with VH. I guess they didn't feel that the conflicts weren't worth creating the stuff they used to?
    "It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band — who are only performing because they have some new record coming out — do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver — I'm not familiar with their music — but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."
    Roth Keeps it REEEEAL

Originally posted by Antman
    Fuck Alex Van Halen. That mongoloid Mr. Spock looking mother fucker.

Loaded LikeAFreightTrain
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed can't deal at all Did you see his gums on the red carpet???? I can only Imagine his liver??

In touch w/ feminine side
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Sometimes I get the menstrual cramps real hard
    Status
    Originally posted by Brett
    Oh please Dave's as big a prick as Ed according to this interview. Fuck both of them.

I guess you guys can forget any reunion thing ever, the band is pretty much a done deal forever, in any form.

I believe you are correct.

Originally posted by ELVIS
    I guess you're right...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I actually agree with some of this here.

Its pretty sad how close we all were to a full blown CVH reunion.

I would say that both Ed and Dave fucked things up.

But then you can't blame Dave after what happened in '96.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "But I tell you it would be one damn interesting show when they ask us to get together and play for the induction ceremony. I know Dave; he'll be there a week ahead of the show just waiting."

Thats a funny comment, and likely true, lol....

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    THis is exactly why I went to see DAVE last summer....

EVH is too screwed up to do ANYTHING.....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's both Dave and Eddie's fault. The Bass Player's® just caught in the middle.

Dave is just too damned controlling, and Eddie is just too damn drunk most of the time for them to ever come to any sort of agreement.

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Big Troubles

Dave needs a reality check and Edward needs to be told that he has enough money now and it is supposed to be about the fans that made them, not how much money they can make.
    Well said
    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Aint that a bitch.....
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Check this out from the links!!!

Do you really care about us fans? I know we dont know what's going on, only all the stuff from the web..frustrating, idnt it?
    There's one way and one way only that you can salvage your fans..and dont go resting on your laurels and place in history..history works from most recent to earliest, so it will end up as ""The fucking whack-job asshole who fucked himself and his band by silly pride, who happened to be the greatest guitarist who ever lived..."

Or it could end up as "The gift of music was never given as freely and amazingly as it was with Mr. Edward VanHalen, the greatest guitarist who ever lived"

If you care at all about the fans, then it must be the latter and the only way to do that is to suck it up, let it go and play music for us..that's why you are here.if its just you, al and two others, so be it, but that wont get the history part done. If you care about that at all, which i dont think you do, you should at the least do a reunion finale w/ DLR.

Otherwise Ed, do all of us lifelong fans one final favor and TELL US YOU ARE RETIR[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by amadeus
    Check this out from the links!!!

Do you really care about us fans? I know we dont know what's going on, only all the stuff from the web..frustrating, idnt it?
    There's one way and one way only that you can salvage your fans..and dont go resting on your laurels and place in history..history works from most recent to earliest, so it will end up as ""The fucking whack-job asshole who fucked himself and his band by silly pride, who happened to be the greatest guitarist who ever lived..."

Or it could end up as "The gift of music was never given as freely and amazingly as it was with Mr. Edward VanHalen, the greatest guitarist who ever lived"

If you care at all about the fans, then it must be the latter and the only way to do that is to suck it up, let it go and play music for us..that's why you are here.if its just you, al and two others, so be it, but that wont get the history part done. If you care about that at all, which i dont think you do, you should at the least do a reunion finale w/ DLR.

Otherwise Ed, do all of us lifelong fans one final favor and TELL US YOU ARE RETIR[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
    That's great.

I just checked this out at Links.

They've got a 'rant' thread going on over there (to ed and al).

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Originally posted by Big Troubles
    I now believe Dave has to put his ego aside for the band, the fans and for the reunion he wants so badly. I know you dont want to change Dave, but $50 million dude?

And I guess Dave was hurting for cash? We were SO fucking close to a reunion. Every member of that band has to ask themselves what they REALLY want to do. And then DO IT!

Don't believe anything the fat little bass player says.......remember he was one of them fucking dave on his royalties.

yeah.....it's all Dave's fault as fucking usual

EVIL ED... Thank you df
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks Full Bug for the release. I'm very sad and and very bummed by this whole thing. I feel empty and incomplete.

I love Dave. I love Eddie. I love the music they have given us. The greatest, bar none.

End of story? Who knows.

Who's choice? Who knows.

Will either make a move? Who knows.

Dave, you are KING! Can you make it happen?

I need a ('nother) drink.
    Last edited by Lloyd Anger; 03-17-2006 at 05:58 PM.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
    Don't believe anything the fat little bass player says.......remember he was one of them fucking dave on his royalties.

yeah.....it's all Dave's fault as fucking usual

no I didn't say it was all Daves fault... In fact.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...985#post883985

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Dave was trying to flex some muscle after being fucked in the ass in '96. I think it is funny that Mike went into Dave's dressing room and Dave agreed with what he was saying in regards to his ego. Perhaps Dave will lose some ego, and Ed will cut back on the alcohol. I doubt it, but I always hold out hope.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great get, Bug...did you have to translate that from Japanese? (holey run-on-sentences, Batman...)

Couple things...Mike Anthony is a dude caught in the middle...most of you people who bash him AND EDDIE'S BROTHER would be first in line to sing their praises if/when they get back with Dave. That's one thing ive NEVER understood from alot of the 'regulars' at this site (notice I didnt say 'old-timers')...you bash Mike and Al...dont tell me you wouldnt fall back in love with them if Dave comes-a-callin...

Next, EVERYONE associated with that band is at fault here...maybe some more than others, but it's such a shame...that part where Mike describes the vibe of them playing together again made me almost cry.

So close....so close.
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
    Great get, Bug...did you have to translate that from Japanese?
    I had Cato translate it for me....

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lets be real folks, we all want The Diamond One back in VH, but after 21 long years and 3 failed attempts in the past, it probably is not going to happen. Lets hope WB releases some DLR era boxsets before were to old to enjoy them. It is obvious both camps are more concerned with their ego's than us fans. I am amazed that Al was the one being diplomatic in the studio, agreeing to let Dave do his thing and the rest of the band theirs on the new cd.

Eat 'Em And Smile Bitch!!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a fucking pathetic situation that band is in right now. It's a go nowhere project that keeps collecting dust with every passing day.
    "To keep up with me, you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding!"
    - DLR, 2004

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Many thoughts on this...

1. To me...this is old news...pretty much everything I expected. I WOULD fucking LOVE to hear the Dave deal with VH...and all the other stuff...loved hearing Anthony talking about the magic coming right back when they played the old tunes.

2. As I've said many fucking times...it takes two to tango...and both these fuckers have numerous issues that are beyond each other. Personally, this shit is so fucking old...I can't believe that we are still talking about it...and still reading about it...

You never know...who will wake up on the right side of the bed 2 or 3 years from now...

of course...at that point...they'll be playing the Pointe' Von Ridaow festival in upstate whogivesafuckville...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why the fuck is it that the Van Halens and now Anthony always have to blather something about Dave not being humble enough for their tastes, and his ego being too overwhelming for a reunion to happen?

They must have forgotten that it was Roth's ego and lack of humility that helped get CVH noticed in the first place ("Why be humble? You're not that good.").

This is just lame code phrases for "Dave isn't going to kiss our asses to get back into the band".

If Anthony and the sisters were smart, they'd be kissing Dave's ass about now. I don't want a meek Roth being treated like some sort of supplicant by the Van Halens to make a reunion happen.

Fucking cunts.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Beer Drinker&Hell Raiser
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All that shit just bums me right the fuck out. The image of Dave bringing in music to the sessions, trying to get things going, the brothers hating it... just makes me fucking sad.

And the shit about making MA a lesser-paid employee, just fucking ridiculous.

Arrgghh...
    "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Beer Drinker&Hell Raiser
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    On a side note, the "Other Half" thing with MA and Hagar is just goddamn pathetic.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Despite this story I still have hopes for a CVH reunion! I’m not giving up yet.

A very interesting interview to say the least but lets keep Mike’s comments about Dave in perspective.

Mike is very much pro-Sammy Hagar. Always has been. They are the best of friends and obviously Mike relates to Sammy a lot more than he ever did with Dave who is a very different personality. So it’s predictable that Mike lays most of the blame on Dave for the CVH reunion not happening.

When Mike states Dave’s ‘ego just wouldn’t let it happen’, he is probably talking about Dave’s reluctance to be subservient to Eddie and Alex, as either a contributor to the song writing process, the design of the band’s videos and imagery, or financially. Remember Eddie’s comments at the time about everything looking pretty positive about getting back together until the lawyers got involved? I just think the brothers weren’t prepared to let Dave come back as an equal, which Mike can’t understand. Mike might be prepared to be a hired gun but Dave won’t. That’s because Dave puts a significantly greater value on himself.

And after what happened in 1996 I highly doubt Dave got together with the brothers and Mike, and started acting like an egomaniac. That’s just ridiculous. He would have been desperate for it to work out.

I’m not saying Dave shouldn’t compromise in some areas. But how do we know he wasn’t prepared to do just that to at least a reasonable level? We really need to hear Dave’s perspective on all this because we are only getting a part of the story here.

And isn't it interesting that the brothers, and I presume Mike, can all get back together in the studio with Dave and record almost an entire CVH album, but with Sammy it's just three abysmal tracks, minus Mike, and it was never going to be anything more than that. It's pretty obvious the brothers had very little motivation for a Van Hagar reunion. Like I said at the time it was a 'reunion' born out of desperation. They never really wanted to do it and we could all see that in the lack of effort put into the whole thing.
    Last edited by Halen High; 03-18-2006 at 02:20 AM.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nice one, Halen High....

That's the point.

3 shitty songs taking forever with Hagar....

Almost an entire album?? with Dave that will never see the light of day.......

Idgits...all of em...

guwapo_rocker
    Thanks for that Bug.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed is afraid to be great again...

That's the problem.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eddie's addictions + Roth's ego = No VH reunion ever.

If Eddie stays on his current path and makes it to 55 years old I will be shocked.

It is bad enough when a band wastes time but this band has wasted decades. Who gets fucked........THE FANS!

My prediction is that Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar will eventually get married.

Howlin' Wolf
    This Michael Anthony thread got me howlin' at the moon. Who cares what The Ox says about The Who? I want to hear the story from Roger and Pete. Maybe even Moon the Loon. But not Entwistle.

I can't believe that Mikey would 'tell off' Roth, either. And if Roth has such a huge ego--he just sat there and agreed with the bass player?

If you see me howlin', callin' on my dowlin'.

Thread Information