Thread: Doyou think 1984 would have been as popular without MTV?

Wayne L.

Arrow Doyou think 1984 would have been as popular without MTV?

I think 1984 would have been as popular without any exposure from MTV at the time because Van Halen was already an established rock band while some of you might disagree with me you have to an idiot if you think MTV was that important & influential to begin with in 1984 being as huge as it was since this classic rock album showcased VH at the height of their prowess creatively, musically & artistically despite Eddie & Dave not getting along personally & professionally which is why 1984 is to VH what Let It Be is to the Beatles with all the friction but 1984 is a rock & roll masterpiece of epic proportions which will never happen again.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

pardo
    I dunno. VHI sold a pantload, while FW didn't sell as much. So maybe the quality of tunes is secondary?

My first exposure to Van Halen was seeing the 3 Oakland vids on my buddy's beta over and over. They were as exciting to watch as they were to listen to, so capitalizing on videos was a good idea.

Welcome back, Dave!!!
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2022 @ 08:32 AM
    Status
    Thanks

yes it would have been. there was no MTV long ago when there others were repleased. it absolutely would have been as huge.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-24-2021 @ 11:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Personally I always thought "Drop Dead Legs" shoulda been a single. The only song I don't like on that album is "Top Jimmy"...I just thought it was kinda boring.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-28-2018 @ 01:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Wayne L.
    I think 1984 would have been as popular without any exposure from MTV at the time because Van Halen was already an established rock band while some of you might disagree with me you have to an idiot if you think MTV was that important & influential to begin with in 1984 being as huge as it was since this classic rock album showcased VH at the height of their prowess creatively, musically & artistically despite Eddie & Dave not getting along personally & professionally which is why 1984 is to VH what Let It Be is to the Beatles with all the friction but 1984 is a rock & roll masterpiece of epic proportions which will never happen again.
    At that time MTV was at its best. The videos were real. Yes, the music video for jump helped propel its popularity. However, it would have been a stellar song without the extra help.

Thread Information