X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 25%moreCOWBELL
    Full On Cocktard
    • Mar 2006

Changing Tuners

How much of an ass pain is it to change out tuners? I've currently got a set of 3+3 Grover Rotomatic Tuners 18:1 on my guitar. If I wanted to swap these out for some locking tuners is that going to be something I want a shop to do for me or can I just pop in a set of Locking Grover tuners without doing to much surgery on the headstock. I don't mind a little woodwork but I don't want to be some cockmonkey and F^%$ up my guitar.
  • indeedido
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

It is plug and play, provided the holes in your headstock are the same size. If they are, just pull the old ones out and put the new ones in. If your new tuners require a larger hole, you will need to ream it out with a drill bit to make them fit.
    This space for rent.

Comment

• 25%moreCOWBELL
      Full On Cocktard
      • Mar 2006

Anyone got any suggestions on "the" brand of locking tuners to use or are they all just about the same damn thing in the end.

Comment

• sagebrush
        Head Fluffer
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by 25%moreCOWBELL
        Anyone got any suggestions on "the" brand of locking tuners to use or are they all just about the same damn thing in the end.
        Grover had some good lockers . You should be able to get close to the same modal keys you have so no cutting or slashing on your head stock .

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

I never change the tuners unless they're the perfect fit. I remember the low E tuner crapped out on my acoustic. Had to replace the whole damn set, but the new ones were a perfect fit and keep in tune pretty well for the price.

Comment

• sagebrush
            Head Fluffer
            • Oct 2005

Grovers 40$ 6 in a line or 3 on 3 locking

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

My two cents on locking tuners is they are only an advantage if they are used with a guitar with a straight sting pull (like a Stratocaster) and are not really an advantage on a guitar where the strings change angle at the nut (like a Les Paul). On a Les Paul type nut the strings tend to get hung up at the nut so changing tuners won't make a difference.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

The Sperzels' Deluxe locking ones rule.

The tool you need is called a tapered reamer with t-handle, they come in like onequarter to half inch size tapered. You twist it a few turns then back it out to fit the tuner till it is just about snug.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                  The Sperzels' Deluxe locking ones rule.

The tool you need is called a tapered reamer with t-handle, they come in like onequarter to half inch size tapered. You twist it a few turns then back it out to fit the tuner till it is just about snug.
                  Yeah I ordered one of those from Stewart McDonald. Man, those reamers are expensive! They ream you with the price! Beats trying to do the drill bit trick.

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

Don't they sell them at Home Depot where they sell drill bits?

Comment

• sagebrush
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by GAR
                      Don't they sell them at Home Depot where they sell drill bits?
                      Yea they do and there only like 3$ .

Comment

• dvogel1570
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • Jan 2006

I did it on one of my guitars. The machine head screw holes never line up between manufacturers, so you will probably get 1 or 2 extra holes per. Plus you're spending $160+ for the heads.

An easy option is to tie a knot (similar to the first part of tying your shoe) before winding up the excess. As long as your winding is tight, you're good to go.

Changing out the machine heads also hurts the value of the guitar. If you have a cheap guitar... you're better off tying the strings, or getting a new guitar.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Tying the strings ??

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Home Depot? Naw, you need a specific guitar tuner hole reamer!

LOL!

You don't need to tie no stinking knots! Just because it's in the book The Ultimate Guitarist doesn't mean it's true. Hey as long as the string is wound around the post enough times and isn't overlapped, it will hold tune.

Comment

• indeedido
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by dvogel1570
                              Changing out the machine heads also hurts the value of the guitar. If you have a cheap guitar... you're better off tying the strings, or getting a new guitar.
                              I do not agree with this. Upgrading parts do not devalue a guitar. If anything it increases the value. Removing stock tuners that are usually junk and replacing with a nice set of Schallers is more inviting to people. Now, it has to be done correctly, nobody wants to buy a Les Paul, with new tuners, and have extra set of holes back there. They should be covered by the old tuners or filled and painted.
                              This space for rent.

Comment

Working...