Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dvogel1570
    Full On Cocktard
    • Jan 2006

Upgrading to you = non-stock = de-valued. It's like puting a set of headers on a muscle car from the 70's. It was great at the time, but today their just not worth as much. Sure, you'll always find someone who digs your upgrade, but as a whole... de-valued.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Are we playing guitars or investing in guitars? Who cares about the value, make it the way you want it and then wear it out playing it. Dings, worn frets, rust, worn plating, dirt all ruin the collectors value but how in the hell do you play the thing without getting it worn and dirty?

Life is for the living. Yeah, that new guitar you bought might be collectable 50 years from now if you leave it in the vault with the original tag on it but how old are you going to be then?

Just play the damn thing and put whatever you want on it.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• BrownSound1
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Mar 2003

If you have a cheap ass guitar, then why not put some quality shit on it? Some cheapies can be made into pretty good axes with some minor upgrades. Hell I've got one cheapo strat copy that isn't worth a dime on the street, but I wouldn't take anything for it. It plays fairly good, and has a great tone...what more can you ask for. I rank it with my real Strats as far as usefullness.

Now I wouldn't do a thing to a vintage guitar, other than play it.

Comment

• sagebrush
          Head Fluffer
          • Oct 2005

I understand not putting new stuff on a 58 les paul but a 86 or 94 strat come on . I buy guitars to play and not to hope in 20 years i can make 100$ on it . Iv got some old guitars and i love them and i play them and i have changed things on all of them but that don't kill there value to me . I think if you are going to buy something to save to make money on in years to come buy bonds not guitars . Guitars are made to play and fender, jackson,gibson,esp and so on make guitars everyday so we as players can have what we want and the parts people make parts so if we don't like it stock we can make it what we want .

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I think the whole collectors fad has driven prices of guitars up. It gives Gibson an excuse to price gouge. Some of the fret work I've seen on Les Pauls going for $2000 deffinately indicated nobody who plays is going to buy the the thing. Then you look at a cheap Korean guitar and the fretwork is actually pretty good.

My main noodling guitar is a Wolfgang special. It's never in a case. I toss it at the couch when I'm done playing. Our three year old squibbled on it. I stick stickers all over it.. It's never cleaned. It's a ratty looking thing. A real ugly guitar but man, she's broken in and a pleasure to play.

It's like hogging some from an average looking chick. It might not be the most sought after fuck but she's going to put out everytime and sometimes, the average fuck turned out to be amazingly good. LOL!
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...