Is Neil Young an Underrated Guitar player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 25%moreCOWBELL
    I'm just trying to figure out how come they don't put anyone different on the cover of a magazine. I mean how many times do I have to see Jimmy Page in Leotards with ZoSo across his Ass? Or Zack Wylde doing his best to show me all his hard nights in the gym have really paid off?

Throw Neil Youngs Crazyhorse ass on a cover or that Fat donkey from Guess Who Randy Bachman. Whenever they do switch it up I get fuckin Kirk Hammett or some other dumbass……. Hell the best songs that CockMonkey ever played Dave Mustaine wrote for him when he wasn’t bozzing it up and making Lars feel sad.
    These guitar mags in general have been stuck in this childish mentality for about 20 years now. Especially Guitar World.

Too much emphasis on shredding, speed and showing off (with columns titled "Betcha Can't Play This"...like playing guitar is some kind of contest or sporting event...I dunno. Just not the way I approach the instrument).

I like Young's acoustic stuff better than his electric...'specially Harvest Moon.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Unchainme
      I think he inspired a lot of Grunge groups with his sound, Nirvana and Pearl Jam to name a few.
      Just as well as you mentioned Nirvana. In a section taken out of his
      suicide note, he quoted a Neil Young song. 'It's better to burn out than fade away'.

On a separate note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCHAINME!

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention was during a Neil Young concert, you can
        see all the guitars he has surrounding him. Well, not quite but you can see a shitload of different models with sounds he requires for
        certain songs. It was just like that when I saw John Fogerty a few years
        ago. Lots of Les Pauls, Stratocasters, Acoustics, and maybe some
        Ibanez hanging around.

Comment

Good song writer.....Terrible guitarist, especially when playing solos. Listening to him solo on a guitar is like listening to Sammy Hagar scream.
          And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

Originally posted by RuzDNailz
            One thing I forgot to mention was during a Neil Young concert, you can
            see all the guitars he has surrounding him. Well, not quite but you can see a shitload of different models with sounds he requires for
            certain songs. It was just like that when I saw John Fogerty a few years
            ago. Lots of Les Pauls, Stratocasters, Acoustics, and maybe some
            Ibanez hanging around.
            OK, cut the shit. Everyone knows Young is a decent guitarist. Let's focus on the ridiculous!

Does anyone remember the TEN GALLON HAT he wore on Austin City Limits back in the day? I remember seeing that on cable along time ago and thinking, "what kind of drugs is Neil doing now?"

LMFAO!

Comment

Neil is a sub-standard guitar player...and a FIRST CLASS songwriter....

He'll be remembered LONG after the hordes of "Mongolian String Benders" have passed into oblivion....

Comment

Of course I see it like many of you.....his songwrriting is grate, and he was part of the late 60s old school of legendary figures in rock music.

HOWEVER, his solos sound like someone was strangling a cat with barbed wire while it was on fire and being slowly dropped.......ewwwwww...gross me out TOTALLY! :eek:

I'll just say he sucks and leave it at that.

His lead playing is God's punishment to rock music.....

Comment

Problem with Neil Young is most people agree that he didn't leave the 60's. Look at him then...and look at him now.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt White
                    Neil is a sub-standard guitar player...and a FIRST CLASS songwriter....

He'll be remembered LONG after the hordes of "Mongolian String Benders" have passed into oblivion....

That's because the song is where it's at.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Neil does his thing and has his own sound...that is what makes him unique in a world where many like to copy what sells.

He will be known as a outstanding song writer...because he is.

I remember back when Canadian artists were doing their song for the african relief thing...Northern lights I believe...they were doing a special and they were trying to get Neil to sing how they wanted him too.
                      He just refused to redo it and said.."That's my style man...".

Comment

The studio version of "Cortez the Killer" is the WORST solo I've ever heard on a major label recording...

Comment

Hmmmm tough competition for that one song...

"Hey hey bye bye...
                          Rock and Roll Will Never Die..."

Gawd that solo SUCKS MOTHERFUCKING ASS!!!

Comment

You know, there are many guitarists that I'd be nervous picking up a guitar and playing in front of. Neil Young ain't one of 'em.

He can't play for shit, and sure as hell can't sing.

Comment

Working...
                            X