X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 25%moreCOWBELL
    Full On Cocktard
    • Mar 2006

Is Neil Young an Underrated Guitar player

All I ever see on the cover of guitar mags are the current crop of Guitar greats (Zack, Zack, Jack White, Zack, trend?) and the old standard (Jimmy, Randy, etc). I never see Neil Young. Did I miss that issue? Does he suck and I just don't know it? What's the deal? Is he simply a better song writer than guitar player and over looked for that? How come Neil Young doesn't get any love today?
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

I think he inspired a lot of Grunge groups with his sound, Nirvana and Pearl Jam to name a few. He's okay in my book, Nt the Best yes, But deserves to bein the top 25-50ish range.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Coyote
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

I don't know 'bout Neil's guitarmanship, but I think I've heard "Rockin' In The Free World" waay too many times. Especially the (bad) cover versions...
      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• indeedido
        Veteran
        • Feb 2004

I can't stand Neil Young. He is a hack. Flailing about like he is some guitar god. He may write a decent tune here and there, but as a player he stinks. Not too technically savy. Fumble fingers
        This space for rent.

Comment

• 25%moreCOWBELL
          Full On Cocktard
          • Mar 2006

Rocking in the free world is a wee bit annoying on the radio.. I would like to chop the hands off the fucksticks on the other end of the radio playing that shit over and over again. But he has some other tunes that I hardly hear that have a good sound to them.

He does have some stinky pinky sloppy seconds style when it comes to playing the guitar. But having said that a good number of sloppy guitar players seem to grace the cover of guitar mags as the "Shit" every now and than.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

He's written some great stuff, IMO, but not much in terms of technical ability. I listen to Young's stuff for the tunes themselves, and his guitar work is just something that moves the vehicle along...

yeah, he's a bit sloppy at times, no fucking doubt.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• 25%moreCOWBELL
              Full On Cocktard
              • Mar 2006

I'm just trying to figure out how come they don't put anyone different on the cover of a magazine. I mean how many times do I have to see Jimmy Page in Leotards with ZoSo across his Ass? Or Zack Wylde doing his best to show me all his hard nights in the gym have really paid off?

Throw Neil Youngs Crazyhorse ass on a cover or that Fat donkey from Guess Who Randy Bachman. Whenever they do switch it up I get fuckin Kirk Hammett or some other dumbass……. Hell the best songs that CockMonkey ever played Dave Mustaine wrote for him when he wasn’t bozzing it up and making Lars feel sad.

Comment

• jslav06
                Head Fluffer
                • Jan 2006

Yes.
                http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/jslav06/pbf.gif
                I rule because I make the Rules.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2006

The solo on "Like A Hurricane" is one of rock's all time greatest.

My criteria is does the artist have an identifiable sound...and Neil absolutely does.
                  RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• rustoffa
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

He sure had some big speakers on the cover of this album!

Comment

• rustoffa
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Skynyrd should have done "Powderfinger."

I dunno what Ronnie was thinking.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Did anyone see that deleted jam session off of "The Last Waltz"? He was smokin Eric Clapton all the way.

Comment

• rustoffa
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                          Did anyone see that deleted jam session off of "The Last Waltz"? He was smokin Eric Clapton all the way.
                          Was Young on that? Yeesh, no wonder he's so discombobulated! Fuck, that thing is painful to watch...Neil probably went home and listened to Green Onions afterwards. What in the fuck is the deal with that "The Band" shit?

Sure, Young's a weird dude, but at least he occasionally turned his huge amplifier up.

Wherever "The Band" is, I hope it's a place where they've ceased to be a band. That shit is like a soundtrack for rolling dough after you've had a lobotomy. Just flourey drivel.

It'll be grate when Eric Clapton and The Band take their rightful seats next to the horn section in hell.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
                            Was Young on that? Yeesh, no wonder he's so discombobulated! Fuck, that thing is painful to watch...Neil probably went home and listened to Green Onions afterwards. What in the fuck is the deal with that "The Band" shit?

Sure, Young's a weird dude, but at least he occasionally turned his huge amplifier up.

Wherever "The Band" is, I hope it's a place where they've ceased to be a band. That shit is like a soundtrack for rolling dough after you've had a lobotomy. Just flourey drivel.

It'll be grate when Eric Clapton and The Band take their rightful seats next to the horn section in hell.
                            Young was fried on coke when he did that gig.

The whole thing was like some last hippie gasp, 6 years too late.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• rustoffa
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                              Young was fried on coke when he did that gig.

The whole thing was like some last hippie gasp, 6 years too late.
                              Please explain further. This is a grate thread.

Comment

Working...