ipodnano.computer-offer.com
    Target.com: Bookmarked
    www.target.com
    Netflix® DVD Rentals - Only $9.99/Month
    www.netflix.com
    Featured Advertiser
    What's this?
    $499 Dell Desktop Shipped FREE!
    $499 Desktop, $699 Notebook after savings + FREE Shipping online on select PCs from Dell™ Home. Click for Details!
    www.dell.com
    What's this?
    Click here to shop!
    What are you shopping for?
    • Browse over 8 million products
    • Clothing & Jewelry
    • Computers & Electronics
    • Home & Garden
    • Kids & Family

'The Simpsons' to hit big screen
    By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
    LOS ANGELES — The Simpson's are finally d'oh-ing the big screen thing.

After year's of speculation, rumors and false starts, The Simpsons Movie will hit theaters July 27, 2007, the show's producers tell USA TODAY.

"It only took us a decade and a half," says Matt Groening, creator of the Simpsons, which first aired in 1989 and is the longest running sitcom on television. "We decided that this year, instead of taking a vacation, we'd make a movie."

Fans of the show will get a glimpse of the movie this weekend in the form of a 20-second trailer attached to Ice Age, which opens Friday.

"We didn't want to do a boring press release," says writer and producer James Brooks. "We wanted to do something special to show the Simpsons would be in actual theaters, with fancy glass counters."

But that's about as much as the show's brain trust is willing to reveal about the film, which has a finished screenplay and began voice recordings this month.

The creators say that they are even considering dummy scripts to throw Internet spies off the track.

"If I open my mouth, I'm a dead man," says writer-producer Al Jean. "All I can say is that it will be animated. We've decided not to do a live action Simpsons using children."

But Jean promises that "99% of the characters that the fans love will be in the movie. You might not see barfly No. 3, but everyone else is going to be in it."

With the exception of Phil Hartman, who played a number of characters, including the beloved incompetent lawyer Lionel Hutz, until he was shot to death in 1998.

"We'd never bring back his characters," Jean says. "He'll always be the one and only voice for them."

The film likely likely be rated PG-13 for language slightly coarser than you're used to on the TV show, the executives say. But don't expect much different in the way of tone or humor that's made the Simpsons a hit.

"We didn't become a success with violence and nudity," Brooks says. "Well, maybe some bare butts."

I always thought this was like their Chinese Democracy, But they're auctually going to do it!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

Glad to hear they're not doing anything with Hartman's characters...that's a show of class.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Can't say as I'm all that stoked about it anymore. Show kinda peaked for me in 1994-1998, but was absolutely brilliant from about season 3 until season 8.

It's been so goddamn awful for so long now that if the current batch of writers and storyline people who have been doing the show for the last several years are involved in it, I'm gonna pass.

Seems really odd for a movie to be coming out after the show is so obviously past its' prime. Will be interesting to see how it ends up doing, box office-wise.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2011 @ 11:45 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I wouldn't say it is godamn awful. True, its not as funny as it once was, but its still better than most other long-running TV shows.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Awesome news! Thanks a lot!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
    I wouldn't say it is godamn awful. True, its not as funny as it once was, but its still better than most other long-running TV shows.
    I dunno, dude.

When that show was peaking, the humor was being thrown at the viewer so fast that one almost didn't have time to catch all the jokes (I always found when I saw them a second or even third time I'd pick something up that I hadn't noticed before)...

...think a lot of it is a 'seen that already' response I have to the newer ones. And there have been more than a few episodes lately where I'm just not laughing.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-01-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Love the Simpsons.....

Always have, always will...

That being said, you still won't see my ass at the theater.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2011 @ 11:45 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Terry
    I dunno, dude.

When that show was peaking, the humor was being thrown at the viewer so fast that one almost didn't have time to catch all the jokes (I always found when I saw them a second or even third time I'd pick something up that I hadn't noticed before)...

...think a lot of it is a 'seen that already' response I have to the newer ones. And there have been more than a few episodes lately where I'm just not laughing.

Its still funnier than, I don't know...Frasier was towards the end. The last series was funnier than the couple before that, but it wasn't as funny as The Simpsons is today, and The Simpsons has been going longer than Frasier.

And, yes, there is a lot of re-hashing old ideas going on-and it is a bit hit-and-miss sometimes these days. But, then, there is only so far you can take it, isn't there? And, as long as they are getting ratings, why should they stop?

Thread Information