Hide Your Sheep
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 02:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Rare '82 EVH interview from Guitar One

I just bought a new issue of Guitar One which has a rare interview of Eddie and his thought about "Fair Warning". Hear are some pretty interesting quotes (I'd like to mention that the interviewer notes that the "...frosty beers and mixed drinks flowed nicely." during the interview, so maybe Eddie was really opening up as a result).

Steven Rosen: How would you rate DLR's vocals on "Fair Warning"?

EVH: The truth is, I don't think he sang as good as I played...I won't rag too much on Dave; he pulls his weight. Mike [Anthony] doesn't. He doesn't do anything; he has no input whatsoever. But he has remodeled his whole house and bought himself a [Porche] Turbo Carrera with the money he's made off of us. Whatever.

SR: The guitar parts on the album are so structured that it must make it infinitely more difficult to perform them without the support of the bass.

EVH: It doesn't make it harder to play, because -- and I'll tell you the honest - to - God truth -- since day one I never liked Mike's sound, and I could never hear him. I can never even hear him when we're playing. In fact, live, all I have in my monitors is Al, a little bit of Dave's vocals, a little bit of mine, a little bit of Mike's -- and all I hear is myself and my brother. It's the same in the studio.

SR: Tell me about "Hear About It Later." There are tons of guitars on that track.

EVH: Yeah. That was a heavy problem when it came to the mix...I did so much guitar stuff that they didn't know what to use or where to use it. And Dave did so much screaming and yelling over some parts of it that they didn't know what to use of whatever...compared to "Diver Down", "Fair Warning" was a very... I don't know how to say it -- the two records just don't seem to fit together.

SR: You mean there's no continuity between them?

EVH: Right...Diver Down seemed to have more band attitude, more Ted and Donn and the group, whereas with Fair Warning we were more -- what's the word I'm looking for? -- seperated from each other. Put it this way: We weren't really together as a band for that one. To me, personally, it wasn't as much of a band thing as Diver Down.

This was an iterview from '82 right after the release of "Diver Down". I think the remarks are interesting because this was when the band's relationship was "ok". The rest of the interview is interesting as well because it's his thoughts about the Fair Warning album.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Hide Your Sheep
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dammit! I see someone already posted this. Oops. Sorry.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-18-2010 @ 02:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

EVH, what a dick...

After all these yeeyas of whining about Diver Down, then going back to when it was released, how much he dug it?

It's always bothered me anyway that it's the ONLY record that they played with their father and at Dave's suggestion, yet they still slam it. Fuckin' bitter and miserable twits.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-05-2016 @ 12:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Reminds me of an interview with DAVE long ago! DAVE refers to ed saying he's "miserable with VH and never was happy with DAVE!" DAVE goes on to say "yeah he's real miserable in his Ferrarris and his Rolexs!"

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 05:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,501 Posts

Blog Entries
    Just picked this one up as well. Usually don't bother, but wanted to read the thing after the other thread mentioned the Anthony comments (still half-doubted he actually SAID that stuff)...

Wow!

See, I used to read Ed's guitar mag interviews back when CVH were still together, and would always kinda scratch my head when he said things like "I don't know the [verse] lyrics to any of our songs and that's no joke (yet I see him mouthing along with them in the US Fest vid just the same)," and wonder what to make of that.

It had seemed to me that Ed really didn't display any arrogance about his own talents or say anything denegrating about Dave until after the split, and I figured success had finally went to his head after Hagar joined tha band, and that THIS was when Eddie considered what he was doing to be the only component of Van Halen that mattered.

Now we find out he had as big of an ego as anyone else in the band all along...in fact even BIGGER than Dave, who even at his most boisterous would never dream of saying 'I am Van Halen'.

For a great guitar player, EVH sure is a dickhead.

Uncensored
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-14-2018 @ 08:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX
    EVH, what a dick...

After all these yeeyas of whining about Diver Down, then going back to when it was released, how much he dug it?

It's always bothered me anyway that it's the ONLY record that they played with their father and at Dave's suggestion, yet they still slam it. Fuckin' bitter and miserable twits.
    You know Max,Its funny that you said that.

Just last night I was telling my wife the story of how it was Daves idea to do that song and to have Jan involved just to be shot down by the brothers,

Well it seems that Dave won out and the song was recorded,I remember reading a few years later how much Eddie appreciated Daves
    persistance to have that recording on the album after Jan had passed away...Bro,Only us true Roth fans remember such events...

Roth on witcha bad self!!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Originally posted by danielc
    Dammit! I see someone already posted this. Oops. Sorry.
    Thought that counts bro. Nice read though. Eddie is in such denial about pretty much everything that VH has ever done. From getting progressively worse with each album with Sammy, to the incredible tank job with Cherone.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2015 @ 11:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

a little arrogant eh'?

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Just shows ya EVH has been jacked up from Day #1

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,296 Times in 4,721 Posts

Ed's got nobody to blame but himself if the band "wasn't together" during the recording of Fair Warning. He's the one who was spending late nights in the studio, and days crying on Gene Simmons' shoulder.

If a band that "wasn't together" produceed Fair Warning, then now I REALLY want to hear the shit they recorded in 2000!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Ed has always been a miserable twit . I liked him (as a person) when he kept his hole shut . I remember laughing the first time I heard his
    voice. It didn't suit the face. Him and Dave may have had their differences , but the ignorant insecure fucker could'nt even see that
    Dave was the biggest Van Halen fan they EVER HAD !!!

Get off the pipe Ed , call Dave !

Hide Your Sheep
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I don't know what to make of ol' Ed. He seems like a really cool guy; I'd love to meet him. But man his interviews are sometimes very contradictory. I have a ton of guitar mags with his interviews and he says some pretty hard things about other guitarists: Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Ted Nugent, Duane Allman just to name a few. Then I read another interview where he says he loves Page. Oh well. There was also an interview from '84 where he said as long as it's him and Al there will always be a Van Halen.

Hide Your Sheep
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's an awesome quote from Dave about the Ferrarris and Rolexes. That guy is the most quick witted person I've ever heard.

Thread Information