This is a copy of a PM I sent to David Flamma, who was kind enough to send me this:

Got it today.

I was able to compare it to two other versions:

1. The BTB version (previous record holder for cleanest version) that was available for download at Van Halen Cafe a couple of months ago...

2. My VHS version.

So.....my conclusion is this:

I actually think the BTB version is better for a couple of reasons. First of course is all the titles, the crowd shots and the pre-concert backstage stuff. Secondly, (and this is something everyone else noticed) the BTB version seems slightly washed out. And in my case, I do not have a direct copy of the BTB version, only the downloaded version, which suffers a bit visually from the compression.

So....the only thing necessary to fix the washed outedness of the BTB version is to reencode the video and up the contrast a bit, and maybe increase the color saturation. By doing that, it would be just about identical in appearance to Old No. 7.

However, I am not necessarily making any comparison in sound quality, as they both appear to be pretty similar.

Now...the other comparison is to the VHS tape I have.

Considering this was broadcast on TV, I must say the VHS version I have looks way sharper and life like than either of the digital versions I have.

The only negatives are that the sound is not quite as great (which could easily be fixed) and there is some visual noise as this is a lightly generated video (I would estimate this is no more than 4 or 5 generations from whatever master was used).

Overall though, yes I must say the VHS loses to both digital versions due to overall quality, but the BTB version actually nudges out the Old No. 7 by a hair because of the additional content.

Thus endeth the review.

Dammit! I wish to fuck that Deadward would quit sticking Smoking Loon bottles up his ass trying to become even drunker than even HE thought possible, and release this.

Actually, I just happened to think of something.

I know of a source for this....and the source would have access to the masters.

Hmmmmm.......I am gonna have to do some checking.

I might be able to score the ultimate coup.....

Oh well.

Fuck Deadhead.

That fucker is useless anymore, and it seems we are left to our own devices as far as seeking out video of the CVH glory days.