Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave's PA Rental
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I too appreciate the BTB version, and it's fine with me if anyone prefers that version to Old No. 7. They both have their pluses and minuses.

I agree that the menu on Old No. 7 could be alot better (I did not author Old No. 7, but I author in NERO as well, and I can say from experience that the menu text on the computer screen looks alot bigger than it ends up on the TV), but do we really watch a bootleg DVD for the menu?

To me the sound on Old No. 7 is FAR superior than BTB.

And while the contrast and color is sharper on Old No. 7, for some reason the 'edges' of things seem to be a bit more 'fuzzy' than on the BTB version. Prolly has to do with that 'de-interlacing' thing.

Oh well. To me it is an upgrade, and when I go to watch the actual performance of the US Festival, I watch Old No. 7. When I want to see the interview and before-party, I watch BTB.
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

...and this should be in Bootlegs...
      Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental

Oh well. To me it is an upgrade, and when I go to watch the actual performance of the US Festival, I watch Old No. 7. When I want to see the interview and before-party, I watch BTB.
        yep. Just watched the second dvd of BTB for the first time today, and I was yearning for the more dynamic sound of Old #7.
        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• EbDawson
          Veteran
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
          Now notice the same discrepency I was asking about: The back image says "Devore, CA" yet the VHboots entry says "San Bernardino, CA"
          Devore is where the Glen Helen Regional Park is (was?). The Blockbuster Pavilion is there now. Dave/Spammy show was there. San Bernadino is a bit further out so Devore is technically more correct.

Question: Supposedly the pre-show backstage stuff was filmed at a different time, not right before they went onstage. Why even go to all the bother of filming all that if you're not planning on releasing it commercially at some point? I'm sure they didn't do it so we'd be talking about watching it on bootlegs in 2006. So they had to have planned a commercial release, right? What the fuck happened?
          "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

I wish I knew....
            :confused:

Comment

• rjohn10538
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
              I too appreciate the BTB version, and it's fine with me if anyone prefers that version to Old No. 7. They both have their pluses and minuses.

I agree that the menu on Old No. 7 could be alot better (I did not author Old No. 7, but I author in NERO as well, and I can say from experience that the menu text on the computer screen looks alot bigger than it ends up on the TV), but do we really watch a bootleg DVD for the menu?

To me the sound on Old No. 7 is FAR superior than BTB.

And while the contrast and color is sharper on Old No. 7, for some reason the 'edges' of things seem to be a bit more 'fuzzy' than on the BTB version. Prolly has to do with that 'de-interlacing' thing.

I agree. I think that Old No. 7 is an upgrade. I watch for the show itself (picture and sound) and to me Old No 7 is better. If the question was which looks more professionally packaged than I would say BTB.

Thanks Dave Pa for sharing!

Comment

• Brett
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

BTB is more professionally done, Old No. 7 looks and sounds better to me.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by EbDawson
                  Devore is where the Glen Helen Regional Park is (was?). The Blockbuster Pavilion is there now. Dave/Spammy show was there. San Bernadino is a bit further out so Devore is technically more correct.

Question: Supposedly the pre-show backstage stuff was filmed at a different time, not right before they went onstage. Why even go to all the bother of filming all that if you're not planning on releasing it commercially at some point? I'm sure they didn't do it so we'd be talking about watching it on bootlegs in 2006. So they had to have planned a commercial release, right? What the fuck happened?
                  The pre show back stage stuff comes from the fact that Showtime aired the concert live. And the issues involved in preventing an official release probably have to do with licensing... i.e. who has the rights to the footage. Apple Computers sponsored the concert. Showtime provided the TV footage. VH was under contract to WB, etc. When Time Warner bought Showtime, this matter should have simplified considerably. But then there's always the matter of the band's permission. And as usual, it's Eddie's fault.

The US Festival is great for a number of reasons, but in terms of technical musical performance, it wasn't Van Halen's peak moment. And Eddie is rumored to be embarrassed that a video of the show even exists at all, so if he has anything to do with the decision, an official version will never see the light of day.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

Deadward should be embarrassed for even showing his toothless face in public anymore....

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

Hey I got a question......

When is the video transfer rate on par with a real 1:1 copy?

I mean, sure I can encode an MPEG video at 8000 kbps, but how many kbps would mean it is an actual full blown 1:1 copy with no loss in quality whatsoever?

I mean, MPEG IS compression....would raw .avi be close to a perfect lossless copy?

With Blu-Ray and HD DVD out on the market, you will be able to get these hi-def movies that are like 40-50 Gigabytes in size....

At the very least we can say goodbye to having to make 2-disc DVDs in order to have the best quality (like Old No. 7).

But then it will be awhile before the next generation of DVDs will be standard, as ya haveta have a player, etc.

I would surely like to get a burner for my PC. I could store shitloads of stuff on one disc.

Like 100 iso images of audio cds in wav file format.

But I digress......

Comment

• EbDawson
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                        Eddie is rumored to be embarrassed that a video of the show even exists at all, so if he has anything to do with the decision, an official version will never see the light of day.
                        Well he should be damn proud of himself that only a handful of videos even exist considering they toured on all 6 albums.

Dave had a few drinks so Eddie's embarrassed of the show and a official version will never be seen, fine. Re-do Largo then. Of course I realize we've all beat this topic to death.
                        "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

Working...