ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 4,722 Posts

Talking Chimp Can't Get No Satisfaction

George W Bush may have been able to oust Saddam Hussein without too much difficulty, but he appears to have met his match in Sir Mick Jagger.

The President had hoped to check into the £3,600-a-night Royal Suite at the Imperial Hotel in Vienna when he attends a summit of European leaders in June, but his men were told that it had already been reserved by Sir Mick and there was no question of him surrendering it.

"Mick is performing in the city at the same time as the summit," a close associate of the singer tells me. "White House officials had wanted to reserve the suite and all the other rooms on the first floor, but Mick and the Rolling Stones had bagged every one of them.

"Bush's people seemed to be under the impression that they would just hand over the suites, but there was no way Mick was going to do that."

The 62-year-old singer made his views of Bush abundantly clear in the Stones' latest album, A Bigger Bang. "You call yourself a Christian, I call you a hypocrite," he had sung. "You call yourself a patriot, well I think you are full of shit."

The Imperial's spokesman Caroline Mueller admits that American Secret Service agents had got as far as inspecting the hotel, but confirms that the President will not now be staying there. Ronald Reagan, JFK and the President's father, George Bush, all stayed in the Royal Suite while they were in office.

My man at the American Embassy will say only that the President will be accommodated "elsewhere" during his visit to Vienna, but refuses to elaborate "for security reasons".

For Sir Mick it is doubly satisfying. Not only has he inconvenienced a man he despises, but his coveted suite boasts a 7ft 4in long bed - very handy indeed when his girlfriend, L'Wren Scott, pictured right, is 6ft 4in, even without her Jimmy Choo heels.

link
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

6'4"?? Geezus, Mick where did you find her and does she have a sister?

Wonder if Chimpy will show up at the Stones concert in Vienna?

Mick should dedicate "Monkey Man" to him just in case. And "Sweet Neo Con", of course.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Sympathy for The Devil as well...........
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

HOORAY FOR MICK!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That and Mick just saved us some taxpayer money. Go sleep in Air Force one Chimp!

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-22-2015 @ 06:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Guess that's the last time the Stones'll be playing in the States...

...till at least February 2009...

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by FORD

Mick should dedicate "Monkey Man" to him just in case.
    HA!!! Pretty astute! Especially sicne that song includes the lyric

"I hope we're not too messianic"

as well as somethng about being a cold Italian pizza (just change that to something about a pretzel and its a fit)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

mick ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuules!!! ha ha...

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

beethoven was walking along with a friend when they came to pass some lords...while the friend was taking his hat off immediately beethoven waited until the lords took their hats off first...

the friend was shocked and asked how he could do that and beethoven replied "those lords come and go but there will only be one beethoven"

I had to think about this little story, now...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-15-2011 @ 10:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    stones suck, they should have retired after tatoo you.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Shows how much you know, moron....

"Tattoo You" wasn't even a real album.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-15-2011 @ 10:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Then neither was the rest of the shit after that, becaused it all sucked except the live album right after T.Y. Who the fuck cares what you think anyway, you are just a fucking asshole.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by I'm4queers
    I'm a stupid cocksmoking piece of dumpshit
    yessir...

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nonsense.

That's like saying 1984 wasn't a real album since it had material all the way back from VH's demo days.

Tattoo You was released and promoted as a new album, and though material like Start Me Up and Waiting On A Friend were all old, they brought new life into the Stones and expanded their fanbase.

Artists always go back to the vaults for material, some more blatantly adn conspicuous than others, but Tattoo You - thanks largely to Bob Clearmountain's engineering - is, to my mind, the fifth best album in the Stones catalog. (and its a testament to the bands greatness and longevity that saying its the bands fifth best is actually a compliment)

(And if I'm not mistaken, about a third of the material WAS in fact new - including Hang Fire, Neighbors, Heaven and Slave)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Nonsense.

That's like saying 1984 wasn't a real album since it had material all the way back from VH's demo days.

Tattoo You was released and promoted as a new album, and though material like Start Me Up and Waiting On A Friend were all old, they brought new life into the Stones and expanded their fanbase.

Artists always go back to the vaults for material, some more blatantly adn conspicuous than others, but Tattoo You - thanks largely to Bob Clearmountain's engineering - is, to my mind, the fifth best album in the Stones catalog. (and its a testament to the bands greatness and longevity that saying its the bands fifth best is actually a compliment)

(And if I'm not mistaken, about a third of the material WAS in fact new - including Hang Fire, Neighbors, Heaven and Slave)
    The band actually recorded nothing new for Tattoo You. It was basically Mick selecting tracks from the vault and doing vocal overdubs where neccessary.

Here's the details, track by track.....

1) Start Me Up - This version was from the Some Girls sessions in early 1978, though an earlier version of the song exists from the Black and Blue sessions (the infamous "reggae demo". Vocal overdub in 1981.

2) Hang Fire - Originally recorded for Some Girls in Paris 1977. Re-recorded at Compass Point Studios, Bahamas 1979 for the Emotional Rescue sessions.

3) Slave - From the Black and Blue sessions, 1975. Originally featured an extended Jeff Beck guitar solo, most of which was edited out. Re-recorded vocals, 1981

4) Little T&A - Emotional Rescue sessions, 1979 (How they chose "All About You" over this song for the album is the real question)

5) Black Limousine - Originally recorded in 1973, but this version is from the Some Girls sessions 1978. Most of the outtake versions blow away the "official" in my opinion.

6) Neighbours - Emotional Rescue Sessions - 1979

7) Worried About You - January 1975 from the Black and Blue sessions. Wayne Perkins plays the guitar solo, which is much longer in the original recording than the eventual edited "Tattoo You" release. The band actually performed this song live at the El Mocambo club show (Toronto) in 1977 which produced Side 3 of the Love You Live album, but did not include the song and it was again forgotten for another 4 years, until Bob Clearmountain chopped the beautiful 7 & 1/2 minute original into a more radio friendly 4 minute single.

8) Tops - Originally from the Goats Head Soup sessions in late 1972. The original version has a hilarious vocal track of a very stoned Mick trying to sing like Barry White (or something like that) but it wasn't going to get past the label like that, so this one sat on the shelves for over 8 years. Mick Taylor didn't realize that he played on "Tattoo You" until he heard this song on the radio.

9)Heaven - Recorded in 1979. It's rumored that this song was actually recorded in the studio while the New Barbarians were on tour, which seems logical since neither Keith or Woody had any involvement with the song. Guitars on the song were played by Mick Jagger & Bill Wyman, and Bill also played the synthesizer on the track.

10) No Use In Crying - Compass Point Studios 1979. Seems like a lot of the tracks left off of Emotional Rescue were better than the ones included :confused: Or more likely, Mick didn't want Woody to have too many writing credits on any one album. Probably the last Rolling Stones song to feature Nicky Hopkins on piano.

11) Waiting on a Friend - The oldest song on the album. This one goes back to the Sticky Fingers sessions, believe it or not. Spring of 1970. A couple of vocal attempts were made and then the song was shelved. Probably because it didn't fit the album? I really can't imagine this song on Sticky Fingers myself.

Any other questions?

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, the Emotional rescue seesions were essentially the Tattoo You sessions, sicne the albums were released so close together. (The reason the Stones didn't tour to promote Emotional Rescue was specifically b/c they - by which I mean Mick and Chris Kimsey - were busy compiling this album.

By your logic, Let It Bleed isn't a real album either, since a bulk of that was written and recorded at the same time as the material on Beggars Banquet.

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And a great deal of Exile is left over material from Sticky Fingers, and even earlier sessions in some cases.

Loving Cup for example made its debut at the tribute to Brian jones at Hyde park in 1969. in a VERY bad, out of tune version I mights add.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    And a great deal of Exile is left over material from Sticky Fingers, and even earlier sessions in some cases.

Loving Cup for example made its debut at the tribute to Brian jones at Hyde park in 1969. in a VERY bad, out of tune version I mights add.
    Yeah, I've heard it. I've also heard the studio version that they recorded shortly after that. And "Shine a Light" in the same sessions. Both versions blow away the versions on Exile.

But there's a difference between re-recording something entirely, as the Stones did there and VH did with "House of Pain" and what Mick did on "Tattoo You" which was to take recordings as old as a decade, and throwing a new vocal on it.

I love Tattoo You for what it is, but it's no more a true studio album than the Beatles Anthology series.

Thread Information