Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

From what I've read, Warner Brothers filmed several shows on the Diver Down and 1984 tours in their entirety for a then-planned live concert video.

Now, what happened to those films and the audio I can't say, but I also read Largo 1982 was one of those shows, which explains the pro-shot angles and such.

I'd be more interested in seeing if the Don Kirschner Rock Concert/In Concert clips from 1979 ('You're No Good', 'Dance The Night Away' Bottoms Up') and Oakland 1981('UnChained', 'So This Is Love', 'Hear About It Later') were taken from full length shows.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
      Foot Soldier
      • Mar 2004

Well the repeated response from the Diver Down tour shows for not releasing them was that Eddie's playing was "subpar". If you remember, that was right after her broke his wrist. So they axed the whole project based upon that. If you ask me, I have hear many live recordings from the old days (even before they were signed) and their recorded sound never pleased everyone anyway - Dave ad-libbed a lot and the rest of the band played so loose it was mainly just pleasing to the audience in attendance. The people listening to the audio didn't "get it". Do you know what I mean? The vibe and energy of the live concert came across to many as "that doesn't sound like the tape". I think that is why all the projects always got dumped.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Roth kills Sam
        Well the repeated response from the Diver Down tour shows for not releasing them was that Eddie's playing was "subpar". If you remember, that was right after her broke his wrist. So they axed the whole project based upon that. If you ask me, I have hear many live recordings from the old days (even before they were signed) and their recorded sound never pleased everyone anyway - Dave ad-libbed a lot and the rest of the band played so loose it was mainly just pleasing to the audience in attendance. The people listening to the audio didn't "get it". Do you know what I mean? The vibe and energy of the live concert came across to many as "that doesn't sound like the tape". I think that is why all the projects always got dumped.
        Funny how you hear what a pain in the ass Roth was onstage with Van Halen (too many jokes/audience raps/ didn't get all the lyrics right), but when you listen to those old boots, you hear Ed and Al making just as many mistakes.

Halen with Roth were tight but loose at the same time, and just let it rip.
        Van Hagar live come across as concert-by-the-numbers. No deviation from the studio recordings.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

They don't want to release any of the unreleased classic VH stuff cuz they know what a joke the current band is, and Ed doesnt want to have to live up to that legend now.

Comment

• beto

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
            FUCK THAT!!!! DAVE SHOULD NOT SHARE A DAMN THING WITH OLE SPAMASS!!!! HOW ABOUT A CLASSIC VH BOXSET, NO SPAM, NO GARY!! END OF STORY!!!
            ALRIGHT BRO A NICE DVD PACKAGE ALL ROTH ERA.I WOULD DIE

Comment

Working...