Thread: If Warner Bros were REALLY smart...

your mom
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-24-2004 @ 09:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If Warner Bros were REALLY smart...

the Best Of CD would be half Van Hagar and the other portion with Dave would be LIVE. Not all of us Daveheads would buy it, but most of us would ... I think ....

Of course, there are those that will say the quality of the old, live recordings was not there - BS. Just check out the new Zep CD where they digitalized Zep concerts from friggin voice mail quality recordings
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think the Best Of Vol 2 cd should be pneumatically nailed upon Sammy's forehead with 16 penny nails.

That is a Best Of I could be happy with.

Thanks. Thank yeww...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

FUCK THAT!!!! DAVE SHOULD NOT SHARE A DAMN THING WITH OLE SPAMASS!!!! HOW ABOUT A CLASSIC VH BOXSET, NO SPAM, NO GARY!! END OF STORY!!!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

If Warner Bro's were really smart they would have insisted on Dave...

No other options.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    11-20-2007 @ 03:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Got it right with the Zep comment. I bought that DVD and it is great. Amazing what can be done with technology these days and a pity VH don't do something like that with a mixed bag of DLR / VH live shows.
    I downloaded some of those songs from Charlotte 1984 and they sound good. I don't know what video footage is out there for VH pre-1985 but surely something magical could be gathered and put together with little effort. These Best Of things are a waste of time coz we already have these tunes on the original CD's. This is really shaping up to be just a wallet lining, retirement package, Wolfgang college fund bullshit scenario.

Wayne L.
    I think there could possibly be a live album in the near future similiar to How The West Was Won by Led Zeppelin & Past Lives by Black Sabbath capturing VH/DLR era live from 78/84 which would be great.

Food for thought
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    02-15-2006 @ 04:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Warner Bros loss is eBays gain. There is classic early Van Halen footage out there, the quality isn't always great but it's not bad either.
    I got hold of a video of Van halen Live in Largo '82 which is a professionally shot concert. The sound and image is pretty good.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Agreed. Warner Brothers should be putting out a Zep style classic Van Halen live CD and DVD, with any unofficially released studio tracks/demos on there as well.

And also agreed that there's no need for it to include any Sammy shit. Even Gary for that matter. Van Hagar fans had Live Without A Net and Right Here Right Now. Gary fans had Live At The Ten Spot.

Largo is good as for as boots go. So is Argentina. Montreal 84 isn't bad either.

Can't figure out why it hasn't happened. Maybe something to do with ownership of the material/getting everyone onboard/reaching a consensus/locating the source audio and video.

A shame, too, cause I'd shell out upwards of a hundred for something like that.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-10-2012 @ 06:38 PM
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Thanks

Ed's a basket case and Dave's gonna want some real good cash from something like that. But damn well deserves to be paid well. Maybe everyone that is anyone important to a deal like that will finally come to the conclusion that Dave Van Halen is the cash cow. Everyone is missing out. Especially the fans. But your right. I'd spend alot on something new from classic Van Halen, whether it's cleaned up earlier recordings, or something from an older live show, like Oakland 81 or Montreal 84.
    Something will go down in the next few years. mark my words. When there is a truck load of money to be had, harsh feelings dissipate.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It'll be grate if it happens. Imagine if they called it "VAN HALEN LIVE: THE VAN HALEN ERA".

HAGAR SUCKS DICK
    Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2004 @ 12:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'M NOT BUYING ANY SUCH BULLSHIT GOD DAMN I HATE VAN HAGAR

FVH

your mom
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If any of you guys saw the "Right Here: Right Now" concert videos, you saw 2 concerts at the same venue. They took the best audio tracks and then spliced video from each song that looked the best. Ban Hagar didn't even wear the same clothes for both shows. These techniques are simple for videophiles. We could use audio from a show that had a horrible video. So we splice in GOOD video with the poor video and BAM you have a very high quality product. For audio it is even easier. The Zep tracks were much older than the Halns anyway. I would buy it. I'm just saying that it makes sense and you have to wonder why these knuckleheads haven't done it or won't do it.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I lived down the street when that video was shot: the whole thing was a ruse and a piece of crap.

I was going in fro free, then the cops made everyone back off the curb, then cross the street and back down all the way east to Tower Records.

Then someone said "oh big mistake sorry, all those who had a spot in line please come back" so as to make everyone run for the door to line up just like it was Hard Days Night.

How fake and preplanned was THAT for ya?

your mom
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

the whole Van Hagar era has been a fake!

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-03-2009 @ 07:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Panamark
    If Warner Bro's were really smart they would have insisted on Dave...

No other options.
    DAMN STRAIGHT, MUTHA-TRUCKA!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    From what I've read, Warner Brothers filmed several shows on the Diver Down and 1984 tours in their entirety for a then-planned live concert video.

Now, what happened to those films and the audio I can't say, but I also read Largo 1982 was one of those shows, which explains the pro-shot angles and such.

I'd be more interested in seeing if the Don Kirschner Rock Concert/In Concert clips from 1979 ('You're No Good', 'Dance The Night Away' Bottoms Up') and Oakland 1981('UnChained', 'So This Is Love', 'Hear About It Later') were taken from full length shows.

your mom
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well the repeated response from the Diver Down tour shows for not releasing them was that Eddie's playing was "subpar". If you remember, that was right after her broke his wrist. So they axed the whole project based upon that. If you ask me, I have hear many live recordings from the old days (even before they were signed) and their recorded sound never pleased everyone anyway - Dave ad-libbed a lot and the rest of the band played so loose it was mainly just pleasing to the audience in attendance. The people listening to the audio didn't "get it". Do you know what I mean? The vibe and energy of the live concert came across to many as "that doesn't sound like the tape". I think that is why all the projects always got dumped.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Roth kills Sam
    Well the repeated response from the Diver Down tour shows for not releasing them was that Eddie's playing was "subpar". If you remember, that was right after her broke his wrist. So they axed the whole project based upon that. If you ask me, I have hear many live recordings from the old days (even before they were signed) and their recorded sound never pleased everyone anyway - Dave ad-libbed a lot and the rest of the band played so loose it was mainly just pleasing to the audience in attendance. The people listening to the audio didn't "get it". Do you know what I mean? The vibe and energy of the live concert came across to many as "that doesn't sound like the tape". I think that is why all the projects always got dumped.
    Funny how you hear what a pain in the ass Roth was onstage with Van Halen (too many jokes/audience raps/ didn't get all the lyrics right), but when you listen to those old boots, you hear Ed and Al making just as many mistakes.

Halen with Roth were tight but loose at the same time, and just let it rip.
    Van Hagar live come across as concert-by-the-numbers. No deviation from the studio recordings.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2015 @ 05:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

They don't want to release any of the unreleased classic VH stuff cuz they know what a joke the current band is, and Ed doesnt want to have to live up to that legend now.

beto
    Originally posted by BITEYOASS
    FUCK THAT!!!! DAVE SHOULD NOT SHARE A DAMN THING WITH OLE SPAMASS!!!! HOW ABOUT A CLASSIC VH BOXSET, NO SPAM, NO GARY!! END OF STORY!!!
    ALRIGHT BRO A NICE DVD PACKAGE ALL ROTH ERA.I WOULD DIE

Thread Information