Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The war crime they've been waiting for?

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The war crime they've been waiting for?

Jun 2, 2006
    by Mona Charen

No one yet knows what happened in Haditha, Iraq, last November. There are accounts -- unconfirmed -- of a massacre perpetrated by a unit of enraged Marines against unarmed civilians. Unless I miss my guess, this is about to become the biggest story in the world.

Consider that Abu Ghraib, which did not involve killing or torture (though it did include extreme humiliation) became the American and world press's favorite topic for weeks on end, though far more grotesque acts were being perpetrated daily by the jihadists in Iraq and elsewhere. In the period since then, the American press has focused almost exclusively on stories from Iraq that depict the situation as hopeless and the role of Americans as counterproductive.

Even before we know anything with certainty about Haditha, the Chattanooga Times Free Press has let fly with this bit of instant sociology: "If the vicious sectarian strife that is ripping Iraq apart holds no apparent end and is now sufficient to prompt a spree of unprovoked killings of innocents by American troops, Americans reasonably may wonder whether, as some generals already believe, this nation is now doing more harm than good by remaining in Iraq."

Rep. Jack Murtha, D-Pa., every liberal's favorite ex-Marine since the day he advised pulling out of Iraq, called a press conference to accuse the Marines of murder. "[T]here was no firefight, there was no IED that killed these innocent people. Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and killed innocent civilians in cold blood."

The Boston Globe, like countless other outlets I checked on Nexis.com, has rushed to dust off Vietnam analogies: "The My Lai massacre, covered up for more than a year, symbolized the moral bankruptcy of the Vietnam War. Senators need to determine whether the Haditha killings were a shameful anomaly, or, three years into the occupation, a manifestation of a deep coarsening in the US force." Three guesses which option the Globe thinks is true?

Actually, My Lai was not evidence of the moral bankruptcy of the Vietnam War. It was exactly what America-haters here and abroad claimed it was not -- an aberration. It is endlessly frustrating to see those who were so wrong about the Cold War, starting with Vietnam, invoke the memory of that conflict to stand for the opposite of what it should. The principal "lesson" of Vietnam that our enemies learned was that America could be driven from the battlefield by psychological warfare aimed at the home front. They always flee, teaches Osama bin Laden. The lessons our liberal professors and editorialists learned was that the war was immoral. And no amount of experience -- a million boat people, genocide in neighboring Cambodia, the collapse of communism nearly everywhere -- has been sufficient to alter their view.

There are any number of liberal congressmen, commentators and opinion leaders who, like their European counterparts, actively wish America to fail in Iraq because it will mean the failure of the hated Bush presidency. Their reporting from Iraq has therefore been one-sided and defeatist from the beginning. (In fact, the defeatism preceded the Iraq War and was evident in the early days of the Afghanistan campaign as well when The New York Times famously declared the conflict a "quagmire" after only a few days of fighting.)

Amir Taheri, writing in the June issue of Commentary magazine, offers a catalogue of progress in Iraq that is almost impossible to find in our principal news outlets. For example, he notes that there have been no queues of refugees streaming out of Iraq. To the contrary, 1.2 million have returned home since Saddam's ouster. Muslim pilgrims are flocking to the holy sites in Karbala and Najaf. The Iraqi dinar, which had been in free fall during the final period of Saddam's misrule, has risen by 17 percent against the Kuwaiti dinar and 23 percent against the Iranian rial. Iraq's GDP has rebounded since the invasion, and inflation has dropped from 70 percent to 25.4 percent.

Yes, violence is extreme, particularly in certain areas of the country. But this does not mean that democracy is failing to take root. Seventy percent of eligible Iraqis voted in the past three years. Radio stations, newspapers and Internet blogs have proliferated. The first free trade unions in the Arab world have begun in Iraq.

But don't expect to hear about those things. Our press will doubtless be too busy luxuriating in Haditha.

Link
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FORD LOUNGE SESH AND HR69 all know what happened just ask them.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What is an immoral war ??

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ELVIS
    Any one involving a republican president.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe that Likudist CUNT Mona Sharon (yes that's how her name is really spelled) would like to clean the 8 year old girl's brains off the boots of the soldier who tried in vain to rescue her and is now scarred mentally for life.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So this is what we're all subjected to now. 6 fucking threads in a row? geeze
    gnaw on it

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

What if this was your child?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It would be dead...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It would be dead...
    And what would you do about it?

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DEMON CUNT

"If you don't stop picking that, it will never heal"

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BigBadBrian
    Jun 2, 2006
    by Mona Charen

No one yet knows what happened in Haditha, Iraq, last November. There are accounts -- unconfirmed -- of a massacre perpetrated by a unit of enraged Marines against unarmed civilians. Unless I miss my guess, this is about to become the biggest story in the world.

Consider that Abu Ghraib, which did not involve killing or torture (though it did include extreme humiliation) became the American and world press's favorite topic for weeks on end, though far more grotesque acts were being perpetrated daily by the jihadists in Iraq and elsewhere. In the period since then, the American press has focused almost exclusively on stories from Iraq that depict the situation as hopeless and the role of Americans as counterproductive.

Even before we know anything with certainty about Haditha, the Chattanooga Times Free Press has let fly with this bit of instant sociology: "If the vicious sectarian strife that is ripping Iraq apart holds no apparent end and is now sufficient to prompt a spree of unprovoked killings of innocents by American troops, Americans reasonably may wonder whether, as some generals already believe, this nation is now doing more harm than good by remaining in Iraq."

Rep. Jack Murtha, D-Pa., every liberal's favorite ex-Marine since the day he advised pulling out of Iraq, called a press conference to accuse the Marines of murder. "[T]here was no firefight, there was no IED that killed these innocent people. Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and killed innocent civilians in cold blood."

The Boston Globe, like countless other outlets I checked on Nexis.com, has rushed to dust off Vietnam analogies: "The My Lai massacre, covered up for more than a year, symbolized the moral bankruptcy of the Vietnam War. Senators need to determine whether the Haditha killings were a shameful anomaly, or, three years into the occupation, a manifestation of a deep coarsening in the US force." Three guesses which option the Globe thinks is true?

Actually, My Lai was not evidence of the moral bankruptcy of the Vietnam War. It was exactly what America-haters here and abroad claimed it was not -- an aberration. It is endlessly frustrating to see those who were so wrong about the Cold War, starting with Vietnam, invoke the memory of that conflict to stand for the opposite of what it should. The principal "lesson" of Vietnam that our enemies learned was that America could be driven from the battlefield by psychological warfare aimed at the home front. They always flee, teaches Osama bin Laden. The lessons our liberal professors and editorialists learned was that the war was immoral. And no amount of experience -- a million boat people, genocide in neighboring Cambodia, the collapse of communism nearly everywhere -- has been sufficient to alter their view.

There are any number of liberal congressmen, commentators and opinion leaders who, like their European counterparts, actively wish America to fail in Iraq because it will mean the failure of the hated Bush presidency. Their reporting from Iraq has therefore been one-sided and defeatist from the beginning. (In fact, the defeatism preceded the Iraq War and was evident in the early days of the Afghanistan campaign as well when The New York Times famously declared the conflict a "quagmire" after only a few days of fighting.)

Amir Taheri, writing in the June issue of Commentary magazine, offers a catalogue of progress in Iraq that is almost impossible to find in our principal news outlets. For example, he notes that there have been no queues of refugees streaming out of Iraq. To the contrary, 1.2 million have returned home since Saddam's ouster. Muslim pilgrims are flocking to the holy sites in Karbala and Najaf. The Iraqi dinar, which had been in free fall during the final period of Saddam's misrule, has risen by 17 percent against the Kuwaiti dinar and 23 percent against the Iranian rial. Iraq's GDP has rebounded since the invasion, and inflation has dropped from 70 percent to 25.4 percent.

Yes, violence is extreme, particularly in certain areas of the country. But this does not mean that democracy is failing to take root. Seventy percent of eligible Iraqis voted in the past three years. Radio stations, newspapers and Internet blogs have proliferated. The first free trade unions in the Arab world have begun in Iraq.

But don't expect to hear about those things. Our press will doubtless be too busy luxuriating in Haditha.

Link
    This is just about the most stupid thing I have ever read.

It's 1/10th as sensible as your average Jesterstar thread.

There is nothing else to say, it's not something you can argue with because it is just utter nonsence.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It would be dead...
    You are such a son of a bitch to say something like that. Fuck you and anyone like you.

Stop breathing my air.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Keef
    You are such a son of a bitch to say something like that. Fuck you and anyone like you.

Fuck you and your momma...

If it were her, she would be dead too...

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

That will probably leave a nasty scar

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck you and your momma...

If it were her, she would be dead too...
    Another fine example of High Moral Standards from The Christian Right

I think you need to be re-born-again......

The first few times obviously didn't take.

hypocrite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Any war in the name of religion for starters

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Better get some peroxide and a bandaid on that before it gets infected.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by jcook11
    Better get some peroxide and a bandaid on that before it gets infected.
    WTF do you find Amusing about this pic?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: The war crime they've been waiting for?

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
    Jun 2, 2006
    by Mona Charen

This is the problem with your op-eds, Brie.....

Let's pick this first paragraph apart, shall we?

NO ONE YET KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED IN HADITHA

Bullshit. The Marines, as well as eyewitnesses know what happened

THERE ARE ACCOUNTS-UNCONFIRMED

Bullshit. The accounts HAVE been confirmed, by more than one source, hence the investigations

A UNIT OF ENRAGED MARINES

And so the defense begins......how does this writer KNOW the mental state of the Marines?

THE BIGGEST STORY OF THE WORLD

Right, finally.....but not for the reasons you think. It SHOULD be the biggest story.......BECAUSE AS THE WORLD'S SUPPOSED MORAL LEADERS WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ABOVE THIS BEHAVIOR, AND SUPPOSED TO BE FIGHTING FOR THE FREEDOM TO LIVE WITHOUT FEAR OF THIS SORT OF ATTACK

I have my own personal suspicions that these men were probably on their 3rd or 4th deployment........and about ready to crack under the stress.

Well done, Rummy.

DO THE RIGHT THING AND RESIGN.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by frets5150
    He's an admitted wife beater from Oorange County.......

He'll find humor in other's suffering without much thought.

Especially those weaker than himself. It helps his low self esteem.

Pray he never has children of his own.....

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    WTF makes you think I find anything amusing about that picture? :confused:

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Post the picture fine But in the 843 days since I joined those were the worst comments I ever read on this site...

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by LoungeMachine

I find humor in watching you Leftwing apologists

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Confused? If I have to answer that then you need serious help.Reread what Idiotic statement's you posted

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Confused? If I have to answer that then you need serious help.Reread what Idiotic statement's you posted
    I know what I posted Frets. You and your ilk wanna sit home on your computers and fry these marines when....YOU WERE NOT THERE....YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED.All you know is that the marines are guilty

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know what I posted Frets. You and your ilk
    ilk?
    When did I ever say anything bad about the Marines?
    And I don't know WTF happened but it happened That's a little baby with its head smashed in and you find it Funny...BTW were you there do you know what happened?

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ilk?
    When did I ever say anything bad about the Marines?
    And I don't know WTF happened but it happened That's a little baby with its head smashed in and you find it Funny...BTW were you there do you know what happened?
    No, I was not there either.....That's the point. I am willing to find out the FACTS. Until then unlike others on this site I'm not blaming the marines.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No, I was not there either.....That's the point. I am willing to find out the FACTS. Until then unlike others on this site I'm not blaming the marines.
    Oh so if the marines did it then your comments about the picture stands if it were done by whom ever else then you don't mean what you said about the Pic?

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh so if the marines did it then your comments about the picture stands if it were done by whom ever else then you don't mean what you said about the Pic?
    Sorry Frets, I don't find anything about those pics or war for that matter amusing IT'S FUCKING SICK! My point (and I'm sorry if you didn't get it) is that the marines in this are innocent until proven guilty.
    My guess is that they were attacked by a bunch of chickenshit pussies that ran behind a bunch of women and children thats' just my guess.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sorry Frets, I don't find anything about those pics or war for that matter amusing IT'S FUCKING SICK! My point (and I'm sorry if you didn't get it) is that the marines in this are innocent until proven guilty.
    My guess is that they were attacked by a bunch of chickenshit pussies that ran behind a bunch of women and children thats' just my guess.

Ok now we're getting somewhere I don't give a fuck who did it. It's two seperate issues.No matter who did it your comments were uncalled for.
    Imo I think it was the Marines some have been there since day one and I think they are starting to SNAP and don' care anymore.
    BTW Are you a Marine?

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ok now we're getting somewhere I don't give a fuck who did it. It's two seperate issues.No matter who did it your comments were uncalled for.
    Imo I think it was the Marines some have been there since day one and I think they are starting to SNAP and don' care anymore.
    BTW Are you a Marine?
    No, I am not but I do have a nephew who has spent time in Iraq and has told me a lot of interesting stuff. Sorry if my comments offended you. They were not meant to.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ahh so you think it's a Personal attack on your nephew?

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ahh so you think it's a Personal attack on your nephew?
    Not just him there a lot of brave fucking people over there that like it or not are going through some serious shit and I don't like to see them get spit on by someone sitting in their cozy little house on their computer bashing them.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    jcook, what is your educational background?
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not just him there a lot of brave fucking people over there that like it or not are going through some serious shit and I don't like to see them get spit on by someone sitting in their cozy little house on their computer bashing them.

Who's Bashing them? This is a war based on lies and we have a Dumb Fucking Chimp running this country but I don't hear anyone Bashing them.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You don't ??

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not in this Forum I don't if so show me

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Guitar Shark
    jcook, what is your educational background?
    Your basic stuff high school grad 2yrs community collge + the school of hard knocks we have all attended

Thread Information