Thread: Frontline: The battle between Vice President Cheney and CIA to control the 'dark side

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Frontline: The battle between Vice President Cheney and CIA to control the 'dark side

Published: Saturday June 17, 2006

Tuesday's episode of the PBS public affairs series Frontline will probe the battle between Vice President Dick Cheney and the CIA to control the 'dark side,' according to a press release for the show.

"Amid daily revelations about prewar intelligence and a growing scandal surrounding the indictment of the vice president's chief of staff and presidential adviser, Lewis "Scooter" Libby, FRONTLINE goes behind the headlines to investigate the internal war that was waged between the intelligence community and Richard Bruce Cheney, the most powerful vice president in the nation's history," says the press release.

The title for the show is derived from a television interview Cheney gave five days after September 11, 2001, when asked how the government might respond to the terrorist attacks by NBC's Tim Russert.

"I'm going to be careful here, Tim, because I--clearly it would be inappropriate for me to talk about operational matters, specific options or the kinds of activities we might undertake going forward," Cheney said. "We do, indeed, though, have, obviously, the world's finest military - they've got a broad range of capabilities - and they may well be given missions in connection with this overall task and strategy."

"We also have to work, though, sort of the dark side, if you will," Cheney added. "We've got to spend time in the shadows in the intelligence world."

"A lot of what needs to be done here will have to be done quietly, without any discussion, using sources and methods that are available to our intelligence agencies, if we're going to be successful," Cheney continued. "That's the world these folks operate in, and so it's going to be vital for us to use any means at our disposal, basically, to achieve our objective."

Cheney also told Russert that he envisioned a "very thorough sort of reassessment of how we operate and the kinds of people we deal with," and that the "mean, nasty, dangerous dirty business out there" neccessitated putting "some very unsavory characters" on the payroll.

According to the PBS press release, "The Dark Side" draws from "more than 40 interviews and thousands of documents," providing "a step-by-step examination of what happened inside the councils of war." Michael Kirk served as producer, writer and director while Jim Gilmore co-produced.

A brief trailer for the episode can be viewed at PBS' Frontline Website.

Excerpts from the PBS press release:
    #

After the attacks on 9/11, Cheney seized the initiative and pushed for expanding presidential power, transforming America's intelligence agencies, and bringing the war on terror to Iraq. Cheney's primary ally in this effort was Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

"You have this wiring diagram that we all know of about national security, but now there's a new line on it. There's a line from the vice president directly to the secretary of defense, and it's as though there's a private line, private communication between those two," former National Security Council staffer Richard Clarke tells FRONTLINE.

In the initial stages of the war on terror, Tenet's CIA was rising to prominence as the lead agency in the Afghanistan war. But when Tenet insisted in his personal meetings with the president that there was no connection between Al Qaeda and Iraq, Cheney and Rumsfeld initiated a secret program to re-examine the evidence and marginalize the agency and Tenet. Through interviews with DoD staffers who sifted through mountains of raw intelligence, FRONTLINE tells the story of how questionable intelligence was "stovepiped" to the vice president and presented to the public.

From stories of Nigerian yellowcake to claims that 9/11 hijacker Mohamed Atta had met with Iraqi agents in Prague, The Dark Side dissects the now-familiar assertions that led the nation to war. The film also examines how that stovepiped intelligence was used by the vice president in unprecedented visits to the CIA, where he questioned mid-level analysts on their conclusions. CIA officers who were there at the time say the message was clear: Cheney wanted evidence that Iraq was a threat.

At the center of the administration's case for war was a classified October 2002 National Intelligence Estimate that found evidence of an Iraqi weapons of mass destruction program. But Paul Pillar, one of the report's principal authors, now admits to FRONTLINE that the NIE was written quickly in a highly politicized environment, one in which the decision to go to war had already been made. Pillar also reveals that he regrets participating in writing a subsequent public white paper on Iraqi WMD. "What was the purpose of it? The purpose was to strengthen the case for going to war with the American public. Is it proper for the intelligence community to publish papers for that purpose? I don't think so, and I regret having had a role in it," Pillar says.

For the first time, FRONTLINE tells of George Tenet's personal struggle in the runup to the Iraq war through the accounts of his closest advisers.

"He, I think, asked himself whether or not he wanted to continue on that road and to be part of it. And I think there was a lot of agonizing that George went through about what would be in the best interest of the country and national interest, or whether or not he would stay in that position and continue along a course that I think he had misgivings about," says John O. Brennan, former deputy executive director of the CIA.

Tenet chose to stay, but after the failure to find Iraqi WMD, the tension between the agency and Cheney's allies grew to the point that some in the administration believed the CIA had launched a covert war to undermine the president. The film shows how in response, Cheney's office waged a campaign to distance itself from the prewar intelligence the vice president had helped to cultivate. Under pressure, Tenet resigned. Cheney's chief of staff, Scooter Libby, would later admit to leaking key sections of the NIE -- authorized, he says, by Cheney. Libby also stated that the vice president told him that President Bush had declassified the material. Insiders tell FRONTLINE that the leak was part of the battle between the vice president and the CIA.
    #

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/PB...eney_0617.html
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

This should be good.

Tenet and Cheney both have blood on their hands.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 05:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,501 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'll take one Frontline program on any subject over a night of network news non-stories and cable-news hosts and the pundits who blow them.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 Times in 3,458 Posts

I can't wait...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,296 Times in 4,721 Posts

I hope it's better than the CNN show. That one was kind of weak.

Basically if the show comes from the viewpoint that "we only realized the intelligence was fucked up after the fact", then it's a BCE/PNAC whitewash, and not worth watching.

PNAC's case was made 5 years before the Supreme Court installed the Chimp, and before they twisted 9-11 into a pretext for invasion of Iraq.

I'm hoping Frontline approaches the subject a little more honestly. In the past you could depend on a PBS series to do that.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by FORD
    I hope it's better than the CNN show. That one was kind of weak.

Basically if the show comes from the viewpoint that "we only realized the intelligence was fucked up after the fact", then it's a BCE/PNAC whitewash, and not worth watching...
    Actually Ford, if you watched closely, you'd of seen that the program basically stated that the Admin. selectively picked only parts of the National Intelligence Estimate that suited their objectives, and suppressed any dissent or info that didn't match their prefabricated "let's invade Iraq" views...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, Frontline didn't pull any punches with 'Rumsfeld's War', and weren't overly partisan about it. Frankly, the tone was a bit easier on 'Rummy' than I would have liked, but it was fair, if nothing else.

But I'd be a little shocked if ANY Frontline show would come to a conclusion that the neocons wanted to invade Iraq, were looking for the first opportunity to do so and cherrypicked intelligence they knew might by shaky as a pretext to go in.

There may be some individuals in interviews who wind up on tomorrow's show who will say that, but the shows producers are too responsible to let the 'leftist fringe theories' hijack the content and conclusions entirely (I should add that I believe the above scenario is EXACTLY what I think happened, in terms of the neocons and intelligence). PBS ain't Fox, where anything and anybody not inside the GOP conceptual tent is suspect.

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-22-2015 @ 06:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by FORD

I'm hoping Frontline approaches the subject a little more honestly. In the past you could depend on a PBS series to do that.
    And honesty and inside knowledge is al you get when FORD is on the case:

It was missiles, not commercial airlines, that hit the World Center.

Karl Rove was secretly indicted a couple of weeks back.

Jerry Seinfeld is still relevant.

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-22-2015 @ 06:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

And considering just how wrong Tenet was about WMD in Iraq, I don;t blame Cheney for minimizing his and the CIA's importance.

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2011 @ 03:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

If only there had been a democrat in the whitehouse there never would have been a 9/11.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    And considering just how wrong Tenet was about WMD in Iraq, I don;t blame Cheney for minimizing his and the CIA's importance.
    When was Cheney ever right about anything?

"The Insurgency being in it's last throes?"

It was CIA analysts calling bullshit on many of the claims...

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 06:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by jcook11
    If only there had been a democrat in the whitehouse there never would have been a 9/11.
    Uh huh...

algore would have had OBL over for tea and would have given him a "sharply worded warning."

:eek:

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Doesn't matter who was in the White House.

9/11 would still have happened.

Who is in the White House is irrelevant to the powers that be, as a Presisdent can only stay in office a maximum of 8 years.

Our government is planning for the next century.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
    Uh huh...

algore would have had OBL over for tea and would have given him a "sharply worded warning."

I think he was being sarcastic BBB. He's one of "yours."

And if Gore were such a wimp, how come he actually went to Vietnam?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, the show just ended.

Pretty good.

Recycled a few bits from 'Rumsfeld's War', but so much of that was applicable to this that it's understandable.

I suppose the most positive thing I can say about Cheney and his neocon ilk is that they might believe they're doing the right thing(s), so perhaps the ends justify the means in their view.

Seems unlikely that Iraq is ever gonna be looked at as anything but a debacle.

Least with Vietnam you had the Domino Theory as subtext. Ridiculous as it may seem today, back then it made sense - more sense than, say, a 'Doctorate of Pre-emption'.

With Iraq all the suppositions the Executive Branch told us have now been proven false, save for two salient points:

Saddam wasn't a nice guy, and, to quote GW, "he tried to kill my Dad."

So much for long-forgotten promises regarding NOT using our Armed Forces for nation building.

I Scream Man
    Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    10-22-2006 @ 12:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

MR NICK You even shock me by bringing up MR GORE's Viet Nam "duty" MR GORE never saw combat and never served a full tour of duty since he arrived in NAM 7 with 7 months left of service and left 2 months early to attend divinity school His only combat experience was interviewing other people who had been in combat But why let facts get in the way of a good misleading story I'M PROUD OF YOU!!!!

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

I watched it last night. I thought it was excellent. It should be required viewing for all voters.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
    I watched it last night. I thought it was excellent. It should be required viewing for all voters.
    So should literacy and comprehension tests, as well as proper identification.

But then, there wouldn't be many Democrats to lose another election.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Yes he was being sarcastic....and I don't have anyone on here that is consistent with all my political views.

Good day.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Howard Dean
    MR NICK You even shock me by bringing up MR GORE's Viet Nam "duty" MR GORE never saw combat and never served a full tour of duty since he arrived in NAM 7 with 7 months left of service and left 2 months early to attend divinity school

When did I say he did? I never claimed he was a hero, did I boring lame-ass troll? However, it's a lot tougher to get killed in Vietnam when your not gleefully forcing your way into the Texas ANG than serving in 'Nam as a journalist. I was just pointing out the typical "liberal pussy-wimp" mindless blather usually touted by insecure middle-aged white men inordinately scared of terra'ist attacks and ethnic minorities. I was merely pointing that out.

Because, I think we can all agree it was a good thing that Bush was pResident when terrorist cultists flew airliners into NY and Washington. It would have been much worse of a debacle if Gore had been President, wouldn't it sunshine?

His only combat experience was interviewing other people who had been in combat But why let facts get in the way of a good misleading story I'M PROUD OF YOU!!!!
    Yeah, try reading both my post, and the post I was responding to for the context of my remarks lame-ass unfunny troll. You already made this point, so I'll just reiterate mine in your classic scream caps showcasing your Savior fare wit: I NEVER SAID GORE WAS A WAR HERO OR A GRUNT FOR THAT MATTER. BUT HE WAS IN THE US ARMY, AND DID SERVE IN VIETNAM. THOSE ARE THE FACTS ASSHAT, I DON'T HAVE TO QUALIFY ANYTHING FOR YOU.

Now go jerk off to your onscrean display of NewMax(i pad)...

Thanks for the stupid cliches', very inventive...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-21-2006 at 07:00 PM.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Now go jerk off to your onscrean display of NewMax(i pad)...
    So this guy is a MAX alias? I never would have guessed that.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So should literacy and comprehension tests, as well as proper identification.

But then, there wouldn't be many Democrats to lose another election.

Except most highly educated people are Democrats...

I Scream Man
    Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

With MR NICK being the exception of course. I am looking for QUALITY derangement MR DEAN can find that in MR SAVICKI AND MR FORD MR NICK is just boring and sad MR NOTSOFRESH needs a douche to clean his MANGINA

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

With MR NICK being the exception of course. I am looking for QUALITY derangement MR DEAN can find that in MR SAVICKI AND MR FORD MR NICK is just boring and sad MR NOTSOFRESH needs a douche to clean his MANGINA
    Why don't you find some actual creativity?

Admit it, you just want to eat the discharge out of my "mangina." Reminds you of mother?

I Scream Man
    Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

THANK YOU MR NICK FOR PROVING MY POINT ABOUT HOW BORING YOU ACTUALLY ARE

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

THANK YOU MR NICK FOR PROVING MY POINT ABOUT HOW BORING YOU ACTUALLY ARE
    I don't recall you making that point actually...

BTW, the irony factor is high on that one, since your posts consist of mimicking a political nonfactor and presenting it as some kind of norm. Maybe when your balls drop, assuming they will, junior, you'll be able to discuss things without creating another retarded cliche' aliass...

I Scream Man
    Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ACTUALLY YOU MADE THE POINT FOR ME MR NICK ARE YOU REALLY AS DENSE AS YOU PORTRAY ON HERE?

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2011 @ 03:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

And if Gore were such a wimp, how come he actually went to Vietnam?
    Gore went to Nam to study global warming and pitch his idea around for the internet.

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-06-2012 @ 08:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Uh huh...

No dummy, 911 wouldn't have even happened.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

Yeah those superstitious fundamentalist fruitcakes stick together.

Al Gore is a boring windbag prick who is married to a rancid cunt.

Maybe a bit less dangerous than GW but the choices the US system throws up are appalling.

It's like the last French election 'Vote for the crook not the facist' kind of thing.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-21-2006 at 09:35 PM.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sesh, I am beginning to think that you may not be a fan of organized religion.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

9/11 or no, with Al Gore, we wouldn't be pinned down in Iraq now...

It's that simple...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You can now watch online. (For us forgetful slackers that missed it.)

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

9/11 or no, with Al Gore, we wouldn't be pinned down in Iraq now...

It's that simple...
    No shit.

And we also wouldn't have spent 2,500++ American lives, 300Billion American Dollars, countless wounded, and beyond countless Iraqi civilian deaths.

But the NCSBs in here wouldn't have had it any other way.

Thread Information