Thread: Fucking Shouter Bands......Instantly Sound Like 10,000 other faceless bands...

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Fucking Shouter Bands......Instantly Sound Like 10,000 other faceless bands...

Dressed in black shorts.....goatees.....maybe a buncha piercings....lotsa tattoos...at least one other member of the band has their hair in braids or dreads.....

Singer up front pretending to be so angry....sounding as if he was taking a crap after eating some green chile burritos and drinking Everclear all night....and being told they have to go to Church.....by the grandma they are mooching off of while trying to become famous....

Oh PUH-LEEEZE!

Watched some of Headbangers Ball this evening.....

Here is the trick....if you want to stand out from all the other Heavy Bands...SING!!!!

Stop that shouting crap!!
    Everyone who shouts sounds the fucking same...as if they are fucking shouting!!!!

Commercial for the Autumn Offering's new album was just on....the dude was just shouting in key......

The only way you can truly sound original is to fucking SING!

If you are so bad a singer, (or lame) then don't become a shouter....you only sound fucking stupid, but you guarantee when you are 50 you will be able to do little more than croak...and you will sound FUCKING IDENTICAL TO EVERY OTHER FUCKING BAND WITH SOME KINDA GUY (or girl..I must allow equal rights for all except Joe Thudner) WHO STANDS THERE SOUNDING LIKE AN ENRAGED AND DRUNK BOBCAT WHOSE ASS IS BEING SANDED DOWN WITH A BELT SANDER WITH 30 GRIT SAND PAPER ON IT WHILE BEING SET ON FIRE!!!!

(Note: The author does not condone hurting or mutilating aminuls in any way. The above Bobcat Allegory is meant as a desription of something you would not understand if you were offended by it. So you PETA fuckers can go right back to eating your meat by-product sandwiches and raw greaseburgers).

There has only been one shouter band I ever really got into....the KINGS Of Shouter Metal...

PANTERA!!!!

Hey man Phil actually sang his ass off on the first record!!!

But nobody could beat him as a shouter...he could sound more horribly horrifying than anyone....

Right now on HBB there is a half hour special on Motorhead with live videos from their latest DVD Stagefright (which kicks total ass by the way!!!).

Arguments could be supplied accusing Lemmy of being a shouter, but the difference is that he is actually singing.

These young shouter bands just want to sound as if their vocals were being drowned inside a garbage compactor that had been thrown in the back of a huge garbage truck with 34 chain saws, 14 lawnmowers and 76 weed-eaters all running at full blast while being crushed by the garbage truck.

Lemmy just sings the lyrics while imitating the shouter style, and kicks fucking ass.

So he is excused from these rantings.

Commercial for Kataklysm and Dimmu Borgir on Nuclear Blast records was just on...I could not tell the difference between them.

Heh...a band called "Through The Eyes Of The Dead"...they sound completely pointless.

The singer is on a rasp that makes the Bobcat Allegory sound like an angelic choir.

The band is pummeling their instruments to the extreme for about 3 or 4 minutes with this ignorant sandpaper bullshit over the top of it.....

Who in the FUCK is gonna remember something like that?

Back in the 60s & 70s old people called The Stones, Zeppelin & Hendrix "noise" but they were actual musicians. Who wrote actual music.

Call me an old curmudgeon motherfucker if you must, but I think all shouter people should be given the chance to prove they can sing, and if they cannot, ban them from ever performing anywhere ever again.

PPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!

End rant here I suppose....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ALAN THE PANTHER APPROVES....do a Google search for images of Pantera...keeping in mind that the word Pantera also means "panther"...and you get THIS!:

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

You forgot to mention that Phil Anselmo has a kick-ass death metal voice as well:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOK2TQrfQYo"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOK2TQrfQYo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-13-2008 @ 06:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
    You forgot to mention that Phil Anselmo has a kick-ass death metal voice as well:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOK2TQrfQYo"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOK2TQrfQYo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    Yep! If there's no reunion coming (as it appears), EVH should join Pantera!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Hardrock, you are absolutely right!

Phil is the best of those types of vocalists, although Max Caverlera and Robb Flyn (Machine Head) also do it properly.

Tom Araya is another good example, it's not singing, but its a distinct and unique vocal approach.

However most shouting bands think that cookie-monster vocals make them heavier - it doesn't, might make them more "extreme" but heavy is something different.

What is even worse than out and out shouting, is the shouty verse and then a stab at a melodic chorus that is pro-tooled beyond beleif. I HATE that: it's like, "maybe if we put this 'melodic' bit in we'll get air-play".

No, it's an awful state of affairs. Truly great bands always have a good singer, it's the first thing you identity with, the most human and directly emotional part of a band.

Think back to the hey-day of thrash. Hetfield and Mustaine didn't sing, but they didn't shout and scream either, they put the attitude down in a unique way. Thrash dies, IMO, when all the shouty vocalists came along and everyone sounded the same because any semblance of melody had gone.

All these bands singers want to be Phil - they're not.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 04:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sepultura! I love them! They have cool tunes and they speak Portuguese!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yep Sepultura WERE exceptional, when they had Max.

Beneath the Remains and Arise are two thrash albums up there with the best of them.

However they really came into their own with

Chaos AD in 1993, which took thrash and welded it with tribal drumming and old skool hardcore punk. That is a haevy and aggressive record.

Also Roots in 1995 was fantastic. It was recorded in the heart of the Amazon Rain Forest and they get these tirbesmen to lay down crazy percussion. It's also seriously heavy, but a move in the direction of a garage feel to it - you wouldn't call it thrash per se.

Awesome band, and one of the only "shouters" to really do something unique vocally. Igor Caverllera is also one of the most amazing drummers out there, IMO. He can make one kit sound like an army of percussion without ever over playing.

Check em out but avoid anything post 1995 - not good at all.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by binnie
    Yep Sepultura WERE exceptional, when they had Max.

Beneath the Remains and Arise are two thrash albums up there with the best of them.

However they really came into their own with

Chaos AD in 1993, which took thrash and welded it with tribal drumming and old skool hardcore punk. That is a haevy and aggressive record.

Also Roots in 1995 was fantastic. It was recorded in the heart of the Amazon Rain Forest and they get these tirbesmen to lay down crazy percussion. It's also seriously heavy, but a move in the direction of a garage feel to it - you wouldn't call it thrash per se.

Awesome band, and one of the only "shouters" to really do something unique vocally. Igor Caverllera is also one of the most amazing drummers out there, IMO. He can make one kit sound like an army of percussion without ever over playing.

Check em out but avoid anything post 1995 - not good at all.
    5 ***** for you!

Who the fuck is this black dude wannabe they have now as a singer?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Chaos AD is pure genius! I bought this album when i was 13 and loved it to death.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
    5 ***** for you!

Who the fuck is this black dude wannabe they have now as a singer?
    He's called Derek Green I think, Derek somebody anyways.

Their last three records have been average at best.

Thanks for the props!

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2011 @ 11:45 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Never liked any of thee bands.

For some reason, bands today seem to think you NEED to scream and shout to be a metal band. Bullshit. Why can't they "sing" like Lemmy or James Hetfield before he tried to be a real singer?

A lot of the fans of this shit that I know actually dismiss bands like Priest and Sabbath saying "They're not metal. They're about as heavy as a a very small sandwich."

Obviously, these people have just seen Turbo Lover and Paranoid on Scuzz and decided that they know the band's history. Listen, fuckers, without Priest and Sabbath these bands wouldn't even be here because the genre wouldn't exsist.

Anyone can do it. I probably could.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yep, I think you made another valid point SP.

These bands are part of a TREND. it's ironic, because Philo Anselmo, the person their singers all want to be, is the most anti-trend person I can think of!

I'll say it again.

SCREAMING DOESN'T MAKE YOU HEAVY

But it might make you anonymous.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The tone-deaf shouters drive me crazy, because there are so many of them now. There used to only be a handful, and they were good. Slayer, Venom, (Cronos is Pavarotti compared to today's bands), Exodus, Death, among others. Now all I hear is a fucking guy grunting over some cheap ass guitarists who are tyring to play faster and faster.

Note: Fast doesn't mean heavy, you dopes!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAPRamone
    Chaos AD is pure genius! I bought this album when i was 13 and loved it to death.

The only song I hated off that record is "Biotech is Godzilla". It's FUCKING STOOOOOPID!

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
    The tone-deaf shouters drive me crazy, because there are so many of them now. There used to only be a handful, and they were good. Slayer, Venom, (Cronos is Pavarotti compared to today's bands), Exodus, Death, among others. Now all I hear is a fucking guy grunting over some cheap ass guitarists who are tyring to play faster and faster.

Note: Fast doesn't mean heavy, you dopes!
    I totally agree with you! And I love the expression "cheap ass". I like anything hypenated with ass.

Cheapass
    gayass
    fatass
    uglyass
    dumbass.

They're all pretty funny.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think CHAOS A.D. is fucking cool. The only thing of theirs I ever heard, but it fucking kicked ass!

I had some friends from Dallas...a fucking killer band called Double Cross who introduced me to that album....

You guys put it in a good nutshell...

Screaming and playing faster than is humanly possible does not make you HEAVY.

In fact, it lessens the impact.

Imagine if you will, vibrations caused by the footsteps of a mouse.

Really fast pace, but very light.

Then imagine the vibrations caused by the stomp of a T-Rex.....

The faster you go, less of an impact there is.

The bands who are problably the heavisets are the doom bands. Bands who do not play very fast.

Even the following bands do not ever play REALLY fast: AC/DC, Rammstein, ZZ Top.

Oh well.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hardrock 69, that footstep analogy was really good!

I suppose that heavy is when the music STOMPS you,

Like "Sweet Leaf" by Sabbath, you just feel your ears been pummelled.

Too fast and it just sounds like mush.....

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-21-2010 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

there is some feeling that after...for me

The Dead Kennedys
    The Circle Jerks
    Black Flag

and many other bands....... some kind of offshoot started and it was these shouter bands as you say 90% of wich Suk!

They were lame and missed the mark set by the Punk and Slam bands that are excellent and really deserve more credit.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries

Re: Fucking Shouter Bands......Instantly Sound Like 10,000 other faceless bands...

Originally posted by Hardrock69
    Dressed in black shorts.....goatees.....maybe a buncha piercings....lotsa tattoos...at least one other member of the band has their hair in braids or dreads.....

Singer up front pretending to be so angry....sounding as if he was taking a crap after eating some green chile burritos and drinking Everclear all night....and being told they have to go to Church.....by the grandma they are mooching off of while trying to become famous....

Oh PUH-LEEEZE!

Watched some of Headbangers Ball this evening.....

Here is the trick....if you want to stand out from all the other Heavy Bands...SING!!!!

Stop that shouting crap!!
    Everyone who shouts sounds the fucking same...as if they are fucking shouting!!!!

Commercial for the Autumn Offering's new album was just on....the dude was just shouting in key......

The only way you can truly sound original is to fucking SING!

If you are so bad a singer, (or lame) then don't become a shouter....you only sound fucking stupid, but you guarantee when you are 50 you will be able to do little more than croak...and you will sound FUCKING IDENTICAL TO EVERY OTHER FUCKING BAND WITH SOME KINDA GUY (or girl..I must allow equal rights for all except Joe Thudner) WHO STANDS THERE SOUNDING LIKE AN ENRAGED AND DRUNK BOBCAT WHOSE ASS IS BEING SANDED DOWN WITH A BELT SANDER WITH 30 GRIT SAND PAPER ON IT WHILE BEING SET ON FIRE!!!!

(Note: The author does not condone hurting or mutilating aminuls in any way. The above Bobcat Allegory is meant as a desription of something you would not understand if you were offended by it. So you PETA fuckers can go right back to eating your meat by-product sandwiches and raw greaseburgers).

There has only been one shouter band I ever really got into....the KINGS Of Shouter Metal...

PANTERA!!!!

Hey man Phil actually sang his ass off on the first record!!!

But nobody could beat him as a shouter...he could sound more horribly horrifying than anyone....

Right now on HBB there is a half hour special on Motorhead with live videos from their latest DVD Stagefright (which kicks total ass by the way!!!).

Arguments could be supplied accusing Lemmy of being a shouter, but the difference is that he is actually singing.

These young shouter bands just want to sound as if their vocals were being drowned inside a garbage compactor that had been thrown in the back of a huge garbage truck with 34 chain saws, 14 lawnmowers and 76 weed-eaters all running at full blast while being crushed by the garbage truck.

Lemmy just sings the lyrics while imitating the shouter style, and kicks fucking ass.

So he is excused from these rantings.

Commercial for Kataklysm and Dimmu Borgir on Nuclear Blast records was just on...I could not tell the difference between them.

Heh...a band called "Through The Eyes Of The Dead"...they sound completely pointless.

The singer is on a rasp that makes the Bobcat Allegory sound like an angelic choir.

The band is pummeling their instruments to the extreme for about 3 or 4 minutes with this ignorant sandpaper bullshit over the top of it.....

Who in the FUCK is gonna remember something like that?

Back in the 60s & 70s old people called The Stones, Zeppelin & Hendrix "noise" but they were actual musicians. Who wrote actual music.

Call me an old curmudgeon motherfucker if you must, but I think all shouter people should be given the chance to prove they can sing, and if they cannot, ban them from ever performing anywhere ever again.

PPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!

End rant here I suppose....
    Well, I just kinda missed the boat on the whole black shorts, black t-shirt, tons-of-tattoos, screaming style of these bands you mentioned...

I enjoyed what I have heard of Pantera, but not enough to get into them big-time.

The same type of samey-sounding criticisms were leveled at a lot of the rock bands of the 1980s by those who had only minimal exposure to them, yet if you asked a fan, they'd probably say that there is a difference to them between, say, AC/DC and Judas Priest.

Even with the whole image factor to one side, from the limited amount I HAVE heard of those types of bands, there's not a lot there that turns me on.

Plus, I think in terms of angst, dark-edged themes and sheer balls, both Venom and Motorhead blow 'em all away, IMO.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-29-2013 @ 01:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Even though I love Ministry, they would fall into the category.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I like that Binnie brought up Sabbath, because they are a great example of being HEAVY without having to shout or play fast.

Trouble, who were Sabbath fans OBVIOUSLY, know this as well.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My post #15 contains an error.

The very first sentence I meant to say that Chaos AD is the only album of Sepultura's I have heard that I liked. I have seen/heard a lot of other stuff that they have done, and it was all stuff I did not care for.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I like Sepultura's Roots and Against. Both are fairly creative for that kind of metal, with the use of all the South American roots music they used.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The very first sentence I meant to say that Chaos AD is the only album of Sepultura's I have heard that I liked. I have seen/heard a lot of other stuff that they have done, and it was all stuff I did not care for.
    Chaos AD is awesome. I like their early stuff.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I honestly believe some suit pushed the envelope on this shit. It's like once the pseudo-punk thing (Blink) took off, some dipshit took the boy-band factory to Scottsdale with a fistfull of Morbid Angel discs. Fuck, I can't tell the difference between Screamo and Emo. Some of it sounds like someone is fixing to CRY. Just horrible.

Crazy white mofo!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2009 @ 06:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I definitely agree with everyone here. I hate how all these bands feel they need to be negative and scream their fucking head off. And plus, what's with the complex shit? As I Lay Dying, Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium, and unfortunately Children of Bodom, they all sound exactly alike. I can't stand it (although, I do like COB)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
    Chaos AD is awesome. I like their early stuff.
    I like Chaos AD and Roots. But i have to say Chaos is THE high point in Sepultura's career. It struck a perfect balance between being melodically creative but still heavy as a motherfucker!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by mako_kimura
    I do like COB
    I'm finnish so you'd think i'd have patriotic reasons for digging CoB, but really they do nothing for me. I don't hate them, i just can't bring myself to give a damn.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by mako_kimura
    I definitely agree with everyone here. I hate how all these bands feel they need to be negative and scream their fucking head off. And plus, what's with the complex shit? As I Lay Dying, Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium, and unfortunately Children of Bodom, they all sound exactly alike. I can't stand it (although, I do like COB)
    When the bands I like are negative, they have a genuine reason. That's what I love about them. THEY'RE REAL! their promary objective is music, not a quickass buck and staying around for 5 minutes on the radio.

Crazy white mofo!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2009 @ 06:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Oh definitely, but I just hate it when these other screamer bands SAY they're singing about all the political problems and their personal problems, when in reality they're very well off and have no problems to bitch about at all

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAPRamone
    I'm finnish so you'd think i'd have patriotic reasons for digging CoB, but really they do nothing for me. I don't hate them, i just can't bring myself to give a damn.
    Only thing I care 'bout in CoB is evrything but the "vocals".

Hyvä nähdä lisää suomalaisia täällä...

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sepultutra supported Motorhead in the UK a few years back, and I thought they SUCKED ASS. When a band sucks ass live, thats when they are in trouble.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
    Sepultutra supported Motorhead in the UK a few years back, and I thought they SUCKED ASS. When a band sucks ass live, thats when they are in trouble.
    That's true, but it was the post-Max Caverla era, ie post 1996, and they have sucked since then

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yea, but all their material fookin sucked as well (you see where this is going?)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yes, another agree to disagree moment I think.....

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Indeed...

Thread Information