Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

ESPN baseball analyst Peter Gammons stricken with brain aneurysm

June 27, 2006

BOSTON (AP) -- Peter Gammons, an ESPN analyst and a member of the writer's wing of the baseball Hall of Fame, underwent brain surgery Tuesday after he was stricken with an aneurysm near his Cape Cod home.

The 61-year-old Gammons was resting in intensive care Tuesday night following the operation, The Boston Globe reported on its Web site.

Gammons was taken to a Cape Cod hospital Tuesday morning and then airlifted to the Boston area. The newspaper said he's expected to be in intensive care for 10 to 12 days.

Several ballplayers called the press box during Boston's game against the New York Mets for updates on Gammons' condition.

"Peter is one of the Hall of Famers we have on TV, and everybody has a lot of respect for him," Mets pitcher Pedro Martinez said in the visitor's clubhouse after the game. "I wish him well."

Gammons has been a regular on ESPN's Sunday night telecasts this season, working the Braves-Yankees game in New York on Monday night. "Our thoughts and best wishes are with Peter and his family at this time," ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said.

At the Globe in the 1970s, Gammons popularized the baseball notes columns that have become staples in Sunday newspapers. He also wrote for Sports Illustrated twice -- and the Globe in between -- before joining ESPN full-time in 1990.

More recently, Gammons has dabbled in music and next week is scheduled to release his first CD, "Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old." The proceeds are designated for the foundation established by Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, who appears on the album along with several ballplayers and professional musicians.

"He and his wife know our thoughts are with them," Epstein said Tuesday. "We're hoping for good news."

Gammons was honored with the 2004 J.G. Taylor Spink Award for outstanding baseball writing by the Baseball Writers Association of America.

A Boston native who grew up in nearby Groton, Gammons attended the University of North Carolina and started at the Globe as an intern in 1969. He covered the NHL, baseball and college basketball for Sports Illustrated from 1976-78 and 1986-90, working a second stint at the Globe in between.

He joined ESPN full-time in 1990 and is a studio analyst for "Baseball Tonight," as well as a regular contributor for "SportsCenter," ESPNEWS, ESPN Radio and ESPN The Magazine. His column and Weblog can be found on ESPN.com.

He also has written a book, "Beyond the Sixth Game," about free agency.

Story

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sad.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...it was interesting how little ESPN really addressed it...

You have to think he's pretty ill...perhaps even gravely...I haven't watched ESPN in a couple of days...but they really didn't say much...

I like Gammons...he really has good insight...and I actually like the fact that he has a bias toward his childhood teams...that's the way it should be...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Actually, they've said they expect him to fully recover, and the family wanted privacy.....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gammons improving, to begin rehab soon
    BY BARRY JACKSON
    bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

• Peter Gammons, one of the best and most distinguished baseball reporters in history, remains in the intensive care unit of a Boston-area hospital after surgery for a brain aneurysm June 27. His wife, Gloria, told The Boston Globe that he's conscious, conversational and increasingly mobile.

On Thursday, ESPN's Jon Sciambi was one of several ESPN employees to receive an e-mail with additional information. The e-mail said Gammons will leave the hospital Monday and transfer to a rehabilitation center on Cape Cod, closer to his home. He will be doing primarily physical rehabilitation, such as improving strength. The e-mail also said, ``Doctors believe there has been no permanent damage to his brain and are optimistic he will make a full recovery.''

Besides his work as an ESPN commentator, Gammons had a weekly segment with Sciambi on 790 The Ticket.

''The day it happened, he was supposed to do the show,'' Sciambi said. It was out of character for Gammons not to call in that day. Then Sciambi heard the news.

It was a stunner not only for him, but for baseball fans everywhere who appreciate Gammons' passion for his job, work ethic and knack for breaking stories.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One day last year during batting practice, Gammons was standing about 10 feet away from me in the aisle behind home plate at Fenway...I forget who he was talking to, but whoever it was was asking him about random minor leaguers...needless to say, Gammons had heard of every player this person brought up, and had some little factoid or anecdote about the player...we all miss him alot...
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gammons gets ripped on a lot because of his "bias" towards the Sox and the Indians to some extent. My feeling on Gammons is this. If any of us had his job...we would be the same way. He's one of the few writers and reporters who out of respect is able to say pretty much what he wants too...because people know he's got cred.

He's probably the best baseball reporter in the game today...maybe ever...as far as knowing his shit...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm looking forward to him talking...so we can find out the extent of the aneurism...

Thread Information