Today @ 08:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

Musician storms out over phone recording

Pianist Krystian Zimerman storms out over phone recording

By Dave Lee
    Technology reporter, BBC News

One of the world's leading pianists has surprised concertgoers by storming off stage because a fan was filming his performance on a smartphone.

Polish Krystian Zimerman, 56, returned moments later and declared: "The destruction of music because of YouTube is enormous."

He carried on with his recital, but chose not to perform an encore and cancelled a post-concert reception.

He joins several high-profile musicians who have spoken out against filming.

In April, indie rock band the Yeah Yeah Yeahs put up a note for fans entering a gig.

"Please do not watch the show through a screen on your smart device/camera," it said, along with some stronger words.

Former Pink Floyd bassist and vocalist Roger Waters described filming at gigs as showing a "lack of respect" to the artist.

Zimerman was performing at the Ruhr Piano Festival in Essen, western Germany, where he was said to have spotted a member of the audience filming the concert from the balcony.

"He noticed someone up in the choir seats filming the concert on their smartphone. We think it was probably an iPhone," said festival spokeswoman Anke Demirsoy after the performance.

It is becoming part and parcel of modern music promotion”

"He asked them to stop, but they didn't. So he interrupted the recital and walked off stage."

Zimerman then apparently told the audience that he had lost recording contracts and projects because of recording company executives telling him: "We're sorry, that has already been on YouTube."

The festival's director, Franz Xaver Ohnesorg, said he sympathised with Zimerman's frustration.

He told German media: "What happened is theft, pure and simple. It cuts particularly deeply when the artist is of a sensitive nature."

The BBC could not reach Zimerman on Wednesday for comment.

Jasper Hope, chief operating officer at London's Royal Albert Hall, said filming at live events was not a problem - as long as it did not disturb the artist or the audience.

"It's not hard to be discreet," he told the BBC.

LJ Rich looks at how videos are being shared as they are made
    "If you're the kind of artist that is prepared to use digital media to promote yourself, then provided you're not distracted I don't see a problem with that."

He added: "Do I seriously think that recording contracts for any artists can be jeopardised in this way? No I do not. It is becoming part and parcel of modern music promotion."

Violinist and composer Steve Bingham said for many musicians the issue was not about theft, but instead about terrible quality.

"You want people to pass on your music to friends, but the downside is you don't get the quality control you want if someone is recording in the 17th row on a smartphone.

"You either miss the bass because phones don't pick up the bass or the view is such that visually it isn't that good."

Frustration at amateur filming is not just shared among musicians.

Comedian Lee Hurst admitted smashing a phone belonging to an audience member
    British comedian Lee Hurst found himself in court in 2009 after smashing up an audience member's mobile phone during a gig.

He told the court: "TV programmes have writers writing for the performers and they go around to gigs and take the material and sell it to the BBC and ITV and that material is gone.

"You are then accused of stealing your own material. It has happened to me with material shown on national TV that I had already done.

"There are thieves amongst the circuit, sadly, and amongst the writing community.

"Nobody will protect us, we have to protect ourselves."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Interesting scope of perspective on this subject. You've got bands that are well off who say 'fuck it! Tape away!' and you've got guys like this who are outraged and claiming financial hardships caused by the You-Tubing. Then, there's what's in between. The young acts who need the tool of You-Tube to push their names out there for recognition. Definitely seems like a case where Both VH and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs had the right idea. In some capacity, let the fans know whether filming is yay or nay. The artist would likely have to be responsible for the proper policing the no-film shows, I would imagine.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (06-05-2013)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Am a bit naive on this , so you pay your money and someone stops you using your phone mmmmmm.
    Second the people who want this low grade shite are people like us the band geeks who want every bunch of crap an artist throws out so it ain't stopping people paying for shit .
    Any one wanting to check out a new artist used utube and then ( more than likely ) buys said Over priced piece of crap.
    No body in the real world goes I just got into "insert name" I have a shite bootleg if u wanna hear it.

Artists need to get their head round the business model they jumped through hoops to be signed up to in the beginning is fucked .
    Get over it it's gone , use some imagination . Let people record , release decent copies of shows at low return prices . Give shit away . Put as much imagination into presenting yourself live as you do writing material .

Technology ain't going to disappear , give your shit away and sell tee shirts .

Right I feel better for that

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Zimerman then apparently told the audience that he had lost recording contracts and projects because of recording company executives telling him: "We're sorry, that has already been on YouTube."
    That I'm calling shenanigans on. While true that YouBoob has become saturated with endless lame iPhone-ish recordings of such-and-such a band the reality is this is the new bootlegging of our technological times. Zimerman most likely lost contracts (if he did at all) due to his own inability to sell records or produce a record that people actually want to listen to...whichever. I mean, I've never heard of this douche before. And I don't see this as being theft, rudeness, maybe in that holding up a retarded Phone blocking the view while others are trying to enjoy the performance but hardly theft.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah I must admit some cock with his phone up does piss you off , at the bob gig a kick up the arse seemed to be the universal sign to get it out of my face

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries
    And this really comes off as a musician ego thing in that the toolsack with the iPhone is more focused upon recording than listening to the performance when it is er, being performed.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

I like piano music and never heard of this guy. Perhaps if some of his music were on Youtube......

And I found a new band on Youtube that I liked and it made me go out and buy their CD. So it works great as a way for a musician to get their music out there & get known. Here's the video I found last summer. The guys are blowing up now like crazy.

9. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (06-05-2013)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Interesting scope of perspective on this subject. You've got bands that are well off who say 'fuck it! Tape away!' and you've got guys like this who are outraged and claiming financial hardships caused by the You-Tubing. Then, there's what's in between. The young acts who need the tool of You-Tube to push their names out there for recognition. Definitely seems like a case where Both VH and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs had the right idea. In some capacity, let the fans know whether filming is yay or nay. The artist would likely have to be responsible for the proper policing the no-film shows, I would imagine.
    Yet what remains is a grey area of hypocrisy in place. Remember how Metallica used to establish "taping areas" at their concerts (and it surely did not prevent the band from issuing the colossally sized live Binge & Purge boxed set), for fans who wished to preserve the shows? A few years later, the band went after Napster for doing pretty much the same damned thing.

Today, a so-called artist can not afford to have it both ways. Either come up with something vaguely original and clamp down on the rights of distribution, or give the shit away for basically free and make your money from touring and merchandising. That's about it, option-wise, and both allow an artist to maintain the illusion of integrity (in case you didn't notice, I stole that last line from an old Rush song. Sue me...).

Of course when it comes to preserving one's dignity, that is an entirely different matter.

11. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (06-05-2013)

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Going way back, Cliff Em All was all bootleg footage as well. Crappy, awful bootleg footage. But that was it's beauty. It was raw. And Metallica packaged and sold the hell out of that.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I went to see Colin Hay (Men at Work) a few years ago when he was playing a small theatre with about 500 seats. I talked to his road manager out in the lobby and asked him if it was okay if i brought in a nice camera to take some photos while he was performing. The manager told me yes and if i had a video camera i could bring it in and record as well. I didn't have one but i thought that was cool as shit. Indeed, some performers don't get uptight about that stuff.

14. 2 users say thank you to sonrisa salvaje for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (06-05-2013),sadaist (06-05-2013)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    And I found a new band on Youtube that I liked and it made me go out and buy their CD. So it works great as a way for a musician to get their music out there & get known. Here's the video I found last summer. The guys are blowing up now like crazy.
    I love that band! One of the oddest things about music distribution for me in 2013 has been the way in which the music itself is presented. I have to admit, during the last couple of years I've had a pen and a notepad readily available while watching tv, for when I hear a particularly engaging or just plain cool tune in a commercial or show. Mostly, these tunes are by bands you've never heard of, and are featured during an especially moving or poignant scene.

Such is the case with the Imagine Dragons song "Demons." For the life of me, I can not recall the show it was used for, yet the song itself is unforgettable. (I won't include a clip of it, as all of these stupid VEVO videos take forever to load and more often than not crash my flash player, so look it up yerself.)

The thrust is, I now find new music from television, write down a word or two of the lyrics, consult one of several "Songs Used In Commercial/Shows" web sites, find it on Youtube, then travel to Best Buy or Target and try to purchase it. Yes, it's a fairly unorthodox way of getting music, yet for me, I'm drawn to the discovery, and truly enjoy not only the Sherlock Holmes aspect of the journey, but the reward of the effort.

16. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

sadaist (06-05-2013)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's a cool idea Chef. Almost another subject all together, regarding whether or not such musical appearances in commercials and TV shows is selling out or not. A band I dig, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, has appeared in both and I don't view it as selling out, atleast not as I once might have. In today's music business, as good as those guys are and as decent a following they have acquired, they'd be fools to not seek those outlets for the exposure alone. The cha'ching is just gravy.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-29-2016 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

WWCD (What Would Chaim Do?): Take the fan aside, offer him a large sum of money and put the iPhone footage on KISSOLOGY IV (as a Target EXCLUSIVE bonus disk)

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I love that band! One of the oddest things about music distribution for me in 2013 has been the way in which the music itself is presented. I have to admit, during the last couple of years I've had a pen and a notepad readily available while watching tv, for when I hear a particularly engaging or just plain cool tune in a commercial or show. Mostly, these tunes are by bands you've never heard of, and are featured during an especially moving or poignant scene.

Such is the case with the Imagine Dragons song "Demons." For the life of me, I can not recall the show it was used for, yet the song itself is unforgettable. (I won't include a clip of it, as all of these stupid VEVO videos take forever to load and more often than not crash my flash player, so look it up yerself.)

The thrust is, I now find new music from television, write down a word or two of the lyrics, consult one of several "Songs Used In Commercial/Shows" web sites, find it on Youtube, then travel to Best Buy or Target and try to purchase it. Yes, it's a fairly unorthodox way of getting music, yet for me, I'm drawn to the discovery, and truly enjoy not only the Sherlock Holmes aspect of the journey, but the reward of the effort.

Chef, several years ago they were promoting the series finale of King Of Queens and had a song playing. I looked it up and found Luna Halo. GREAT newer band. The song, which they altered just a touch for the TV show, is called Kings And Queens. They also wrote Untouchable which Taylor Swift made into a ballad. Great way to find new music.

A lot of really talented kids out there. We just don't see it because the gumball pop Beibers & Gagas & Britneys take up all the publicity. But it's out there.

20. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (06-05-2013)

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    I went to see Colin Hay (Men at Work) a few years ago when he was playing a small theatre with about 500 seats. I talked to his road manager out in the lobby and asked him if it was okay if i brought in a nice camera to take some photos while he was performing. The manager told me yes and if i had a video camera i could bring it in and record as well. I didn't have one but i thought that was cool as shit. Indeed, some performers don't get uptight about that stuff.

HAHA! I bootlegged a Colin Hay show back in 2006. Sounds like crap but he was awesome. LOVE! that guy.

22. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

sonrisa salvaje (06-06-2013)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

HAHA! I bootlegged a Colin Hay show back in 2006. Sounds like crap but he was awesome. LOVE! that guy.
    Dude, i think that was the same tour! I want to say he was supporting the "Man at Work" record.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hold that. In 2006 he was on the Going Somewhere tour. I saw him in 2003. That is too funny....i said a few years ago and it has already been 10 years. Geeeez where does the time go?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Dude, i think that was the same tour! I want to say he was supporting the "Man at Work" record.
    That guy really put out a record called Man At Work? That's hysterical! Always thought he had a cool voice. I love Overkill and It's A Mistake. Perhaps I'll check into his solo stuff. Thanks for the tip!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Colin hay is very cool

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    That guy really put out a record called Man At Work? That's hysterical! Always thought he had a cool voice. I love Overkill and It's A Mistake. Perhaps I'll check into his solo stuff. Thanks for the tip!
    It is true. It was mostly acoustic versions of his MAW hits with some solo stuff on there. Most of his early solo stuff is out of print which is a shame but i can give you a few suggestions if you want to look them up on Youtube.

28. Thanked sonrisa salvaje for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (06-06-2013)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 4,722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yet what remains is a grey area of hypocrisy in place. Remember how Metallica used to establish "taping areas" at their concerts (and it surely did not prevent the band from issuing the colossally sized live Binge & Purge boxed set), for fans who wished to preserve the shows? A few years later, the band went after Napster for doing pretty much the same damned thing.
    Going way back, Cliff Em All was all bootleg footage as well. Crappy, awful bootleg footage. But that was it's beauty. It was raw. And Metallica packaged and sold the hell out of that.
    Actually, beyond all that, the only reason most of us have ever even HEARD of Metallica, is because they encouraged their fans to openly copy and distribute their demo tape "No Life Till Leather" all over the West Coast. By the time I heard that tape it had been copied so many times it was barely listenable, but somebody at Megaforce Records heard enough in that muddy hissy mess to decide the band deserved a shot.

That's what really pissed me off the most about the Metallica/Napster thing, because Lar$ knows damn well if it had existed in 1982, he would have used it. And probably would have got a contract even sooner with a demo you could actually listen to.

30. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (06-06-2013)

Thread Information