Thread: Superman 2: The Donner Cut

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 09:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Superman tricks the villains into losing their powers. Superman crushes Zod’s hand. Lester’s Superman II, contained this Donner footage. Will be slightly-re-edited to remove Lester inserts (Lois Lane has noticeably different hair and make-up in the Lester re-shoots).
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Luthor and the super-villains are taken away by the arctic patrol. Rare new footage This Donner footage has only ever been seen in rare extended television cuts.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Superman destroys the Fortress of Solitude. Rare new footage This Donner footage has only ever been seen in rare extended television cuts. New effects will likely be created.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Outside the Fortress, Lois and Superman agree to end their relationship. Rare new footage This Donner footage has only ever been seen in rare extended television cuts, but will certainly be trimmed and re-edited.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Was anything else added to the first movie that wasn't in the theatrical release?

I hope they release Superman II as a 2 disc set with both the Donner and the Lester versions.

Donner's version might well be superior, but that's what George Lucas said about his "new" versions of the original Star Wars trilogy, and eventually he had to cave and release the original versions on DVD (or will in September)

I haven't seen ANY version of Superman II in years, so I'd like to see both versions and make up my own mind.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Superman takes a weeping Lois home. This flying sequence may never have been filmed.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

For FORD...

I'm getting to it FORD...yeah...the first one had some shit added to it...nothing big...because Donner worked on the entire film...and like I said...put in 20 hour days for the most part...he worked on both films almost the entire time...until they ran out of money...then scrapped working on 2 entirely...with it nearly finished (the filming parts anyways...)

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lois’ roof-terrace. Superman says a final goodbye to Lois. Rare new footage This Donner footage has only ever been seen in rare extended television cuts, but will certainly be slightly re-edited.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Superman turns back time to avoid the devastation of the planet caused by the super-villains. This sequence may be scrapped entirely in the new cut. Certain scenes that were filmed by Donner for this sequence are thus likely to be put in a deleted scenes section on the DVD release.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Daily Planet interiors. Major new footage?? Lois has a feeling she may have missed something. Clark gets Lois a pizza. This scene was filmed by Donner, although if the above sequence is scrapped Lester’s “super-kiss” sequence (otherwise very similar to the original scripted scene) may be used instead.

I would rather they edited this...I don't like the "super-kiss."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Daily Planet interiors. Clark bumps into Jimmy, then into a rude man, reminding him of unfinished business. Rare new footage This Donner footage has only ever been seen in rare extended television cuts.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Clark gets his revenge on the bully in the diner. This Donner-filmed scene featured in Lester’s Superman II. May be slightly re-edited.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Superman repairs the damage done to the leaning tower of Pisa. This sequence, never filmed by Donner, may be scrapped. Lester footage of Superman apologizing to the president will also likely be deleted.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The confirmed "new" scenes

On July 21, 2006, the syndicated show Access Hollywood aired three "new" scenes that are confirmed to be in the new Donner cut:

During the Metropolis battle, Superman is hurled into the flame of the Statue of Liberty, setting it ablaze.

An alternate scene taking place during the same climactic battle of Non crashing into the Empire State Building.

The aforementioned scene where Lois jumps out of a window of the Daily Planet to prove Clark is Superman.

On that same day, at the San Diego ComicCon convention, a fifteen-minute preview reel was screened which included the "Lois jumps" sequence and the following scene which too will also be shown in the Donner cut:

The original opening sequence with the second missile (which Superman flung into space towards the end of Superman I) exploding into space, setting free the Kryptonian villains (when Richard Lester became director, the Paris subplot replaced this scene as a way to get the villains out of the Phantom Zone).

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In a recent interview with the British magazine Hotdog, restorationist Michael Thau confirmed that the new cut will feature less than 25% Richard Lester footage, and that this footage would be edited to reflect Donner’s vision of the film, specifically to remove many of Lester’s trademark sight-gags, which Thau stated “undercut the tension” of the film.

The project remains cloaked in a veil of secrecy and several key issues remain the subject of much speculation. Foremost amongst these is whether the film will be subjected to a new sound mix and new dialogue-looping (a process in which sound is re-dubbed in a sound studio). Many of the original scenes were never re-looped, and thus the soundtrack could potentially be of poor quality. Gene Hackman (whose original Superman II scenes were looped by a voice-double), Terence Stamp and other surviving Superman II stars could conceivably contribute new dialogue loops, but it remains unclear whether this will happen. Further, it has been noted that many Lester scenes feature poor quality audio looping, most famously during scenes which feature background extras (notably “Are you all right buddy?” spoken as a soldier emerges from a flaming car in Idaho as well as several other examples during the Metropolis fight scenes). Questions relating to how the new scenes will be scored musically also remain a mystery.

Another issue is whether Thau and Donner will only re-edit new Donner footage, rather than Donner footage featured in the original Lester version. Commentators have pointed out that Donner scenes in the Lester version, specifically scenes featuring the attack on the White House and scenes of the villains on the moon, were edited to reflect Lester’s rather than Donner’s film-making style and that these should also be re-edited in the new version. The original Superman: The Movie contained (and Superman II was to contain) a directorial style that combined long, intricate shots shot by Donner with the sharp editing style of editor Stuart Baird. However, it remains unclear whether Baird has been involved in this project.

Richard Donner has publicly conceded that his own film-making style has changed considerably over the years. In February 2006, when asked about the new Superman II cut, he told the website Dark Horizons "I would never shoot like that now in a million years, I mean it was a different way, a different style, different interpretation."

This has led to fears that this new version may well fail to capture the essence of the original 1977 shoot. Further, several fans were highly critical of Thau and Donner’s choices made during the restoration of the extended cut of Superman: The Movie in 2001. Specifically, they pointed to the apparently poor editing of a new scene featuring Superman’s father Jor-El talking with Superman, as well as several other apparently redundant additions including Superman’s earth mother repeatedly yelling “Clark, wake up!” at a young Clark early in the film.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There are also concerns that the narrative of the film may struggle to make sense. The main reason for this concerns the original scripted ending for Superman II, which featured Superman travelling back through time to avoid the wide-scale destruction of the Earth created by the super-villains. This idea was then lifted and used in Superman: The Movie instead. It remains unclear whether a new ending was conceived before Donner was fired. However, a scene was filmed by Donner, in which, at the end of the film Lois Lane tells Clark that she has a feeling that a big story might have happened, but that she feels she is missing it (i.e. it never happened because Superman reversed time). Further, Donner also filmed several scenes to be played backwards as Superman traveled back in time, including Perry White in the bathroom and his toothpaste squeezing back in to the tube. Thus, it is unclear how these scenes can or will be used in the new cut without the film repeating the story device used by the first film. Ultimately, Donner may favour using the "super-kiss" sequence filmed by Richard Lester in which Superman erases Lois’ memory.

Also, because the way that the film was re-scripted under Lester, continuity may prove a problem. The afformentioned opening scene at the Daily Planet, was naturally not alluded to in the Lester script. Thus when Lois and Clark walk along the banks of the Niagara Falls, (Donner never filmed this scene, so Lester footage will have to be used) there is naturally no mention of the fact that the last time we saw her Lois jumped out of the window of the Daily Planet because she thought Clark was Superman (In Lester's version she jumps into the river).

Another concern surrounding the restoration of any new Superman II, relates to a scene which was to have taken place in the bungalow in Niagara falls. Whereas in Lester’s version, Clark trips over a fire-place, and reveals his identity when he is not burnt despite retrieving his glasses from a burning fire, Donner’s version was to have played very differently. There was to be a scene in which Lois (far more intuitive and shrewd in Donner’s version) fires a gun at Clark, who admits he is Superman, just before Lois admitted she used a blank.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Despite statements to the contrary, it has now been confirmed that Donner never filmed this scene. However, it did form part of the original Reeve and Kidder screen-tests and these will now feature in the new cut. An earlier scripted scene in the bungalow (in which Lois teases Clark), was never filmed at all, and it is unclear how this has been addressed.

Another concern relates to the use of CGI (Computer Generated Imagery) to create new effects for the the Donner cut. The original effects sequences were created optically, and there have been concerns that new CGI effects may noticeably stand out in the film.

The very final scene in Tom Mankiewicz's Superman II script is an exact mirror of the conclusion of Superman III. Superman, no longer love-struck repairs the damage he initially did to the Leaning Tower of Pisa:

BACK TO SOUVENIR STAND

The SHOPKEEPER gapes. The Tower is now the Leaning Tower
    again - all his wares are useless. Hysterical, he smashes
    his shelves to the ground, makes violent obscene gestures
    at the CAPED HERO above, weeping.

SHOPKEEPER
    Cretino! Super, stronzo! ...
    (and other expletives deleted)

EXT. SKY - DAY - CLOSE ON SUPERMAN

SUPERMAN flies majestically home, the setting sun behind
    him, soaring toward the blue horizon, magnificent in his
    power. Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a
    locomotive, able to leap tall buildings at a single bound.
    Look - up in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No!
    It's SUPERMAN!

THE END
    It seems highely unlikely that the new Donner cut will incorporate this scene, as Donner would have to use material from Richard Lester's Superman III. Ultimately, the Richard Donner cut, rather than fully bringing to life Donner's original vision is almost certainly going to be part compromise and part innovation.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Okay FORD...

Here's Supe 1 Redux...

The restoration
    In 2000, director Richard Donner and film restoration producer Michael Thau prepared a new 151-minute "Special Edition" originally for theatrical re-release. Working from original film elements (which were beginning to deteriorate), the film went through a six-month restoration, with both color and sound rejuvenated (and with some audio effects added, such as a different-sounding "whoosh" used for the opening credit items), and dirt that had been built in the film over twenty years cleaned. Also, Donner selected eight of the 45-plus minutes that had been used for television release to be incorporated into this new cut. This version was slated for worldwide theatrical re-issue, but was instead released to video and, for the first time ever, on DVD, in the summer of 2001. This version has been seen on cable television and in revival film houses.

The audio for this presentation of the movie is not a simple restoration. When inspecting materials for the restoration the original multi-channel soundtrack was deemed unusable for either theatrical or DVD release. The sound crew took on the job of re-recording the sound effects and mixing them in with the original dialogue and music tracks. Consequently, the soundtrack used for the DVD is an entirely new soundtrack. This caused a minor controversy in the DVD community as none of the original soundtrack mixes have, as yet, been made available.

A remastered version of the 143-minute theatrical cut was also prepared, and although this version has not been released on DVD, it has been seen on cable television. However, WB has confirmed that the theatrical cut will be issued for the first time on DVD as part of the studio's planned 14-disc box set, The Ultimate Superman Collection, on November 28, 2006. There will also be a "stand-alone" four-DVD set of the first film, which will include all the material carried over from the 2001 disc (see below) in addition to the theatrical cut and possible new supplements.

[edit]
    2001 DVD Special Features
    The currently available DVD (issued in 2001) is a double-sided disc.

Side A:
    Feature presentation, with added scenes
    Feature-length commentary with director Richard Donner and writer Tom Mankiewicz
    Music-only audio track
    Subtitles (in English, French, Spanish and Portuguese)
    Side B:
    Three behind-the-scenes documentaries (totalling over an hour)
    Taking Flight: The Development of 'Superman'
    Making 'Superman': Filming the Legend
    The Magic Behind the Cape
    Deleted scenes
    Screen tests
    Music outtakes
    Two theatrical trailers
    Vintage TV spot

A press release issued by Warner Home Video on July 21, 2006 announced The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection, an 8-disc box set featuring the DVD debut of the original 1978 theatrical version of this film, the 2001 restored edition, the original theatrical Superman II and deluxe versions of Superman III and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut will not be included in this set.

Donner's new take on 2 is going to be a stand alone...

What I would suggest is to purchase 1 and 2 right now...and you'll be able to get the original version of 1 as well...if you look hard enough. I got 1 and 2 and Wal Mart for 12 buck total...although it may be up now...

3 and 4 aren't really worth having for the price they'll be offered for...you can get them now cheap...

anyways...

It will be interesting to say the least. I'm watching 2 right now...and it's a solid film...but there certainly are parts that make you go...hmmm...

for example...it's obviously not Hackman's voice used through most of the film...which sucks...

and you can see recuts pretty easily...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-31-2015 @ 07:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

GREAT!!! INVESTIGATION POJO!!!! my hats off to your prowess on this topic. You really did your homework. I read an article about this last night, but you really got into the meat and potatoes of the story. As a huge fan of the super hero genre, I am really looking forward to this release. And now you really have me chomping at the bit.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well bro...it's really a ??? right now...

the first version holds up very well...

but when you watch it...after seeing all of this information...

you can certainly see where there can be improvements...but with Donner having to screw around with the audio...and the problem of having to use Lester cuts...and lots of continuity issues...

it will be interesting...

Not to mention the fact that if Supe destroys the Fortress of Solitude...well...that would make you scratch your head at the whole basis of Supe 3...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Superman Returns?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Okay...the short version...

I liked most of the cast...including Routh...who was perfect for the role...

but the script sucked ass...they tried to pay to much homage to the Donner films...and ultimately produced a much weeker knock off...

it's funny though...Routh...is being complained about being to thin...and lanky...and if you look at both he and Reeves...they have essentially the same build.

I watched the documentary of the film...and the big rip on Reeves?

He was to thin...

Donner was calling him the tall drink of water...

lmfao...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's what I said in another thread...

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    WARNING...I'm posting fucking spoilers...so if you don't want to know...don't fucking read it...and bob was a fuck of a lot nicer about ruining than I'm going to be...read it or don't...

Okay...a few general thoughts before I detail it a bit...

1. I felt many of the same things that Bob did when I walked out...what this film needed more than anything else...was...

fantastic...and there were absolute snippets of WOW...but I agree 100% with bob...not nearly fucking enough. This movie could have been great...more than great...just on effects alone. Unfortunately...Singer spent to much time showing us how FAST Superman was...so 80% of his shots are blue and red blurs...

After the first 30 minutes...the action...well...sucks...

the plane scene should have happened more than once...and through the whole film...

2. I actually liked the casting...and think the faults of this movie weren't the casting...but the script. Routh. I totally disagree with what everyone says about how "thin" he is and all that crap. He LOOKS like Superman...period. No, I don't collect still...but did. And he shouldn't have to look like the book...he's not much smaller than Reeve was...and is the same height...

He was a good Clark Kent...but they really didn't let that develop...and he was a good Superman...but they didn't let that develop...

When I walked out...I was thinking...he didn't talk much. When he did...there was that Reeve-ness about him...but whatever...the script absolutely sucked where Routh was involved.

I'm not going to go there with the Welling comments. I watch the show as well...and Welling is excellent in that show...and the show is excellent. That being said...I COULD see him doing the movie as well...but you can't take that show to the movie screen. It HAD to be different. Superman the movie...and Superman on TV have 2 totally different connotations.

There isn't a bigger Caviezel fan than I...and the guy can flat out fucking act...

but at 6'1 1/2-6'2" and 185 pounds...if you think Routh is wrong because he's thin...then Caviezel...is ALL wrong...

I despised Dean Cain in the role...His version of Superman and Clark Kent were very...very steered in a different direction...I liked the show a bit...during the Lex Luthor Arc...

as far as the suit...it was a bit dark for my taste...but liked the changes...overall...which surprised me...

I can get into all the semantics...but what it all comes down to is Routh has the look...and I think the chops...but he just didn't have enough...in either part.

Reeve's part was so fucking well developed with dialogue...and the relationship between he and Lois...and Perry...and Jimmy...and Lex...

Routh's version starts off uncomfortable with Lois...and the part was uncomfortable...and I liked that...in particular with Kent...but from that point on...Kent is an afterthought...basically...here he is AFTER Superman visits...and pining AFTER Lois (I liked that angle...but with nothing else...it sucked). He had an affableness that was good...and COULD DO the Reeve part...but wasn't given the opportunity. Singer got caught up in the fucking Wolverine angst (and fucking casting cyclops in the cyclops role is just fucking gay...no pun intended)...which was a good thought...but it had to have the rest...the strength of Supe...and the googi affableness of Kent....and it didn't...which made the part thin...

Now...Kate Bosworth...I went into this film thinking the exact same as bob...she's to young...but you have to remember a few things...yeah...this is supposed to be 5 years after 2...but you also have to remember that it's a comic book onscreen. In which case...Lois in the comics...should be about 80...my point being...you have to suspend disbelief a bit...and it's not hard to believe that you run with Bosworth...yeah...22 is a bit young...

but she was actually quite good with what it gave her...started her off with the ode to Supe 2 in the eiffel...and showed her fire...

She had more meat than Routh to work with...but again...it wasn't enough...she wasn't the force that Kidder was...but mainly because she was fucking surrounded by to many fucking dudes...Marsden (who I thought was actually quite good...even though his role was cyclops), Routh...the kid...White...

there was to much protecting her...and not enough her taking charge...

yeah...she's eye candy...but as far as the realism goes...if you are looking for continuity in a movie that wasn't about continuity really...and at a Superman movie to boot...well...you get my point. She may have not been perfect for the role...and when I saw the pulitzer...I thought the same as bob...but again...if you give her the script she deserved...she could have been a better Lois Lane than Kidder...who was very good...

Kevin Spacey...not good...and I agree with everything that bob said. They needed to make him insane...and they tried. But they tried to throw the Hackman in there as well. Hackman's performance was brilliant...and the right mix of insane and humorous. What Spacey brings to the picture is "Hopper." If you know the movie I'm talking about...the crazed grasshopper from A Bug's Life. I wanted this Luthor to be crazy...angry...with the humor coming from Posey (who was as good as Valerie Perrine in the humor department...but again...not nearly as much developed. We knew about Ms. Tessmacher's family..through subtle dialogue...and got what made her tick...in the original...in this one...well...just a rip...

Bob was dead on about the other characters. Perry and Jimmy were central humor in the first movies...and Jimmy was heading there...but not a big part...and Perry was a waste really...

Fact of the matter is that the script felt like it was ripped thin because of special effects...

without the special effects...

More in my next post...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Now...the film does fucking rip off the Donner Films...and I know it was on purpose...but they had the fucking opportunity of a lifetime to do their own deal here...and didn't...

The second they used that worn out from "The Movie" land deal...I nearly walked out...

I'm fucking sick of people just walking into the "Fortress of Solitude." Am I the only fucker that remembers that fucking EVEN SUPERMAN LOCKS UP THE FORTRESS WHEN HE LEAVES...WITH ONE BIG ASS LOCK!

I am a bit disappointed that they didn't fix the Luthor/Kent friendship a bit. I know the Donner films don't follow the comic arc at all...but the basis of the comics are that Luthor and Kent were friends...at one time...

which is why the series is good...because it plays with that. Anyways...Spacey still...loses to Hackman because of writing...although both actors are so fucking similar...and perfectly cast.

Anyways...

am I the only one that wondered how Superman GOT TO KRYPTON...AND IF THERE WAS NOTHING THERE...HOW HE GOT THE SHIP TO GET BACK?

And how about this...could Lex have built his continent without killing Million of people?

and...

the final spoiler...that you could see coming from a mile away...um...Isn't Superman Truth, Justice and the American Way? Well...he nailed it on the head then. Christ...

and superman as a fucking stalker...you have to be kidding me. I liked the angst...don't get me wrong...and him trying to figure it out. But Donner did it grander and better...having Superman tell Brando to piss off...and turning back time...

that's fucking angst...

not a fucking superstalker...

and the article...I mean...for fuck sake...SUPERMAN SAVED LOIS IN THE HELICOPTER CRASH...THE EARTHQUAKE...THE EIFFEL TOWER...NIAGARA FALLS...

and fuck...she writes an article about not needed superman???

I do wonder...would Posey have been a better Lois?

I think a major problem is the assumption that people have seen the first 2 movies...

no background really...to speak of...

Well...Batman was remade...brilliantly I think...

Superman?

Well...if I wanted an homage to Richard Fucking Donner...I coulda watched one on TNT...in one of those lifetime award specials. I wanted a new superman movie...not some half-assed remake...

3 out of 10 may be to much...

I will say this bob...that question bothered me...how did Lois KNOW????

and after watching the movie again...I have to say...I'm not sure she did...

I think they had her play it like she didn't know it was Superman's kid...until she saw him fling the piano...

IN ROTH WE TRUST
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-08-2003 @ 08:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Superman IS POJO

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

With a little time to let Superman Returns set in and mash itself around...I'm left with this...

1. Brandon Routh was a pretty decent Clark Kent...but a bad Superman...I'm not as concerned about his size now as I was previously; I just don't find him particularly appealing or convincing - when I see him on the screen, I see a guy wearing the costume and just can't convince myself that it's Superman, and that's really his and Bryan Singer's fault.

2. Kate Bosworth blows as Lois Lane...sorry, but I still don't like her in the role at all - too young and not "Lois Lane" enough for my taste.

3. Script sucked - too many holes - too many opportunities to do something better and all it ended up being was a remake of Superman: The Movie. In no way was it worth the numerous years of waiting, various directors, and incessent script re-writes to get here.

...but I'm still hopeful for the next Singer/Superman film...

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2010 @ 04:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I can't add any more to the reviews of Pojo and beuno, it had it's share of major problems.
    I disagree with Routh's performance though, he did really good for what he was given to work with, IMO.

I even love what they did with the suit, it doesn't look like a Halloween Costume like the one Reeve wore in his films.

The stalker bit just pissed me off, they could have done that whole scene way differently than having him invade someone's privacy like a jealous Ex-boyfriend/husband.

And the 'prison-esque' scene where he was shanked in the kidney on the Krypto-Fort thingy with a piece of kryptonite was bullshit.

And how about the finely crafted seating that just formed on it's own complete with GOON table on that island Lex created?

First of all, that wound would have killed him long before he hit the bottom of the ocean.

I dunno, it was entertaining but, maybe i was just overly impressed with seeing it in IMAX 3-D.

Except for that shanking scene, which shocked my daughter a little, lol...I didn't feel ripped off.

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2010 @ 04:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Sarge's Little Helper
    Superman IS POJO
    ROTMFFLMMFAO @ Super-Pojo-Man...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pojo and Lord Vader really did a great job reviewing the flick and breaking down its problems, so like Cat, I can't really add much. I really liked the special effects and felt that Routh really did a great job as Clark and the Man of Steel. Pojo made a very interesting point about Lane and I think Posey would have made a great Lois Lane. She is a far superior actress to Bosworth and would have made a scrappy Lois Lane. Maybe age was a factor with Posey being in her late 30'S. With the story picking up 5 years later, this could have worked. Bosworth was terribly miscast and had the personality of a Mr. Softy ice cream cone. Glad Pojo pointed this out.

Banned
    THE GRATEST™
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-12-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Status
    Thanks

i loved that film

i went to the premier at leciester square in 1980 when sarah douglas gave my family tickets as we did her wedding dress

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

SNEEK PEAK AT A FEW SCENES FROM THE SUPERMAN II-DONNER CUT!!!!!!

I believe these were presented at the recent Comic-Con.

Check it out!!!

:eek:

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...e=47&Itemid=38

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

SUPER BUMP!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Slightly off topic, but I just got to check out some of the episodes from the dvd release of the 3 and 4th seasons of Adventures Of Superman with George Reeves and the quality is excellent. I highly recommend it to die hard fans of The Man Of Steel. The stories are toned down and more directed toward children but to see this great series in color is worth it. The 1st and 2nd seasons were surprisingly violent with Superman taking on mobsters and crime syndicates. In one episode Lois Lane gets smacked around and gives back as good as she gets. Hard to believe for a fifties television show. The 1st Lois Lane in this series was excellent and really scrappy compared to the bone bag dimwit playing Lois in Superman Returns.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's still playing here in IMAX 3D...maybe I'll check it out...

my PROBLEM with the special effects are that the best of the best are in the beginning...

that scene with the plane was perhaps the most action packed in ANY of the movies...and left me thinking...

oh fuck...the end is going to be incredible...

only to have Superman END UP IN THE FUCKING HOSPITAL!!!!

Singer...that fag...made Superman basically mortal...which...no offense...SUCKS ASS...

And as I've said before...

I'm not as high on Routh as Kent...although I think he did an okay job...it's just that Reeves was so fucking good...

that scene after Superman takes Lois flying around...and Clark is pounding on the door afterwards...

Lois answers the door...and goes to change...and Clark is bumbling...then decides to tell her who he his...and switches to Supe mode...then changes last second...

the transformation was fucking incredible...

anyways...Routh was a plausible Clark...and could have been a better Supe...

the script just sucked ass...

or...

Routh did...

but it really didn't seem like the vehicle was built for Supe to have much...

Where as Reeves was given a meaty role...it looks as though Routh was given the hambone smack to the face.

So...was it because of the script?

or the edits?

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

Honestly, I really want to see footage of Routh in that soap opera he starred in and compare his chops there against Superman Returns...

I think that'd tell me a lot about his acting skills right there.

Maybe he just looks the part but isn't convincing with a lot of "Superman" dialogue...

Could well be the case...?

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-06-2021 @ 02:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Just rented the "Donnner cut" - definitely better. Whlie a lot of it is the same, the scenes with Brando are cool, especially how they explain him getting his powers back. I was very glad to see the shitty comic relief during the fight cut out, especially the douche laughing on the phone while it gets blown up the street. The ending still sucks. They use the "turn back time ending" from the first movie, I guess this was originally initially intended for S2 anyway, but turning back time is a shitty ending no matter how you slice it. The "forget my identity kiss" in the Lester version sucks too. I would have rather she was just trusted with the secret, or killed off. It do wonder how Donner would have ended the movie if he had the chance to finish it.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    The Lester cut wasn't all that horrible.

Actually preferred the ending of that to the Donner Cut.

Thread Information