Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1978

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-09-2006 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I never liked Metal. In England in 1978 it didn't really exist. It was all about The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers, The Stranglers, you get the picture. Then a friend of mine leant me Van Halen 1. I realised this was brilliant music - good time rock and roll fun. This band didn't take themeselves too seriously and had some great tunes.

28 years later I sill play that record and it still sounds good, but where did this music come from? In 1973 Montrose recorded their debut album'Montrose'. What are the common factors in both these records? Sunset Sound? Ted Templeman? Ok Ronnie Montrose is no Eddie VH, but the record has the same feel as VH 1, all single takes, few overdubs and the sound of a band having a good time playing their songs.

After VH1 it was over for me, VH2 sounded like polished up outtakes from VH1. With the possible exception of 1984 VH never released an album as good as the first again.

So what is the VH legacy? Warrant? Poison?
    Or is it lawsuits, alcoholism, cancer?

In DLRs book Crazy From THe Heat, there is a photograph of DLR and EVH on stage entitled 'When we were kings' That sums it all up to me.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sex Bomb Baby
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-31-2012 @ 06:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Re: 1978

Originally posted by Skin_Walker
    It was all about The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers, The Stranglers, you get the picture.
    Take out The Clash, you've got some good stuff there.

But Classic Van Halen had a different feel for all albums, VHII having a very similar one to VH. VHII was more of a party album whereas VH was more of a kick ass rock and roll album.

I dig everything they boys did with Dave. When Dave left, then you should start complaining. Whining about love and why it is or not around.

Nevertheless, VH is a classic and one of a kind record, just like the rest of the six pack if you ask me.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 856 Posts

I'm inclined to think the latter...

Warrant and Poison were more directly influenced by the glam acts of the '70's, I think...Kiss, Alice Cooper, that sort of thing...

Without any doubt, there was no hair metal band in the '80's that came anywhere close to stealing classic Van Halen's fire. The closest ones might have been Motley Crue to a point, but that was more on imagery and less on music aptitude...

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In regards to the six pack, they're all their own albums and they all speak for themselves. Van Halen II is in some ways a superior album to Van Halen I, in my opinion. Women and Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down and 1984 all offered growth and expansion on the precepts that made Van Halen I such a monster...I personally think Van Halen's studio sense was growing quite well from album to album. Practice does indeed make perfection. The real crime is that we were robbed of seeing just how great they truly could have been by what amounts to being truly pithy reasons, no matter how you slice it.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-09-2006 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, but nobody seems to be taking the bait about Montrose. 1973 Montrose is 1978 VH1 and vice versa. In many ways they are the same recird, not the same band definitely but the same record none the less, has anybody actually listened to Montrose here?

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Originally posted by bueno bob

The closest ones might have been Motley Crue to a point, but that was more on imagery and less on music aptitude...
    Dead on. The Crue came the closest, and musically that was only the 1st two albums. It was all about image and attitude.

As for Vh 1, I don't even regard that as their best work. Listening to their later albums, I would have to say Fair Warning had the most musical thought put into it. Not the most party or rockin' album, but deep. Listening to "Push Comes To Shove", Eddie's guitar work is nearly Gilmoure or Clapton-esque. Extremely well done.

But my personal favorite is 1984. Maybe due to my age at the time being 13 and just coming of age with my musical tastes and the MTV revolution. Drop Dead Legs & Girl Gone Bad were overlooked by the boys for videos and many concert set-lists but are gems. Panama to this day is still more fresh than any rock song released in the last 20 years.

Corvette Driver
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2024 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Drop Dead Legs & Girl Gone Bad are forgotten.....but that tunes kick some serious ass !
    i love those tunes ! ! ! !

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have to admit, 1984 is probably my favorite. Diver Down actually comes in a close second, and I'm probably in the minority of people here who will say that...Diver Down has such a relaxed, easy vibe to it, it's a real pleasure for me to listen to over and over. It's a very "summer's here" vibe for me...grate for cruising down the street on a hot August day with the windows down, radio blaring...I do it every year and love it.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Most musically thought out is Fair Warning, I agree there...

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, but nobody seems to be taking the bait about Montrose. 1973 Montrose is 1978 VH1 and vice versa. In many ways they are the same recird, not the same band definitely but the same record none the less, has anybody actually listened to Montrose here?
    There are some similarities there, I suppose. I've got old cassette bootlegs somewhere of Van Halen covering Rock Candy, Bad Motor Scooter and Space Station #5, so I'm sure Van Halen brought over a little of that to the studio.

On the same token, though, "Van Halen" is also similar to a lot of other 70's albums in layout and execution...there could be equal contrasts made with Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Doobie Brothers and Queen albums just as easily as Montrose's debut...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-21-2012 @ 01:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    i think the reason no ones commenting on montrose .........is cause of thier lead singer ?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Oh for fuck's sake...

the same vibe as Montrose?

THE SAME VIBE AS FUCKING MONTROSE?

You might as well be calling Classic Van Halen gay...

no way is there the same vibe. Recording the same way...and having the same vibe are two totally different things.

Now as far as their legacy goes...it depends on who you ask...no more...no less. It doesn't fit into EITHER category that you spoke of...

If you ask people that were around during that era...you'll get "Greatest Rock Band of all Time..."

If you ask people in the late 80's and 90's...you'll get a band that is compared to the Extremes of the world...and perhaps as the best Pop Band...but not hte Greatest Band of all Time...

If you ask people in today's world...you'll get...who?

I never worry anymore about what could have been...because I'm a firm believer in reaching a peak...and having to live up to it. In many, many ways...Van Halen of the classic sense spent 4 albums trying to find the SPLASH of VH1...

of course...we all know about the other albums...

but I DO think that Roth and EVH were searching for that commercial success that VH brought them...and by that...I mean...the SPLASH of the bitchslap to the masses.

In the same respect...I think that VH just did their thing...you could see their influences come out on every album...rock...blues...some jazz...old school...new school...weird school...

by the time 1984 came out...they had been down the road and back again...

where as VH1 was raw power in that bitchslap sense...

1984 was 5 albums put into one...the best of it all...and you can hear pieces of all the albums on that one solitary album.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

With the possible exception of 1984 VH never released an album as good as the first again.
    Honestly, you're not the first person I've spoken with over the years that feels that way. I've known more than one or two people who were in their teens or 20's back then who today feel that Van Halen I was their best album ever and everything released thereafter failed to reach it's benchmark.

On that aspect, all I can really say is "To Each His Own". Again, I have to say that, to my mind, Van Halen improved from album to album (well, classic Van Halen, anyway) - to my mind, "Van Halen" has never really flowed right...nitpicking really, but I always thought RWTD was a very weak way to start the album, always thought On Fire or maybe Let's Get Rockin' would have been far better choices for a lead off track...Eruption didn't need to be the 2nd track and should have been relegated to side 2 somewhere, and YRGM should have ended side 1...but, you know, I could nitpick forever and it gets me nowhere, and at the end of the day, who the hell cares, anyway? Track order doesn't detract from the album's overall quality, which is 9.5 out of a possible 10.

But I can understand where you're coming from on the "lesser quality per album" issue, I've spoken to quite a few people who were there that thought everything after the debut was a little worse than what came before it.

No arguing taste, though.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Yeah, it was exactly the same vibe as Montrose, only Van Halen didn't fall apart never to be heard from again. *snicker*

When I hear "Jamie's Cryin'" blasting from a live boot, all I can do is gently reminisce about "Rad Motor Scooter."
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 08-05-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-30-2015 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

1978-1981 were the years when VH ruled the world. They were simply untouchable during that time.

1982-1985 were mediocre years by CVH standards... Diver Down and 1984 had some flashes of VH brilliance, but 1978-1981 were the years that VH reigned supreme in my book.

Diamond Dave went on to do some interesting things after leaving VH, although none of that ever came close to what he acheived with Ed, Al, and Mike.

Sammy Hagar VH era doesn't even count.
    Last edited by light 'em up!; 08-05-2006 at 12:41 PM.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

I love them all and I want #7 to complete my collection. Oh, it's already been recorded. A couple songs in 96, 00, 02, some in the early 80's, etc. They just need to be slapped onto a disc.

EDDIE, GIVE US #7!
    EDDIE, GIVE US #7!
    EDDIE, GIVE US #7!
    EDDIE, GIVE US #7!
    EDDIE, GIVE US #7!
    EDDIE, GIVE US #7!
    EDDIE, GIVE US #7!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-21-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

vh 1 is a classic, very solid
    vh 2 stands on its own, not quite as good, sounds unpolished
    wacf solid album, still unpolished
    fw production tightened up, sounds great, great songs
    dd production is really taken up a notch, very professional, sounds like every note was carefully planned, i still loved it
    1984 the 5150 studio lets this album down, i love the album, but doesn't sound as heavy as wacf, fw or professional as dd

i love them all, for different reasons, like having six kids w/different personalities, they each have the good and bad thing about them, but the good outweighs the bad or annoying - just my opinion

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-21-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

the 5150 studio had to be the end of it all, power shift to ed and keyboardy ballady bullshit, wants to spend a year in the studio over producing, i think that killed the creativity, that and dave leaving

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

IF YOU COMPARE ALL OF THE ALBUMS TO NUMBER 1 BASED ON THE STYLE OF NUMBER 1...THEY DON'T COMPARE...

If you compare the albums for what they are...a seperate piece of what Van Halen is all about...the stand side by side...

they don't improve with every album...

they don't get worse...

It's like walking around a house...looking in a window as you go. The first window was that fucking stained glass motherfucker that you knew was crafted over the years, and once it was put in the house...was flat out perfect. The second window...VHII, was right next to the stained glass window...equally as big...just didn't take years to make...and lets you see inside a bit more...

the third window...WACF is one of those weird shaped windows on the second floor. You know...one of those kitchy, half circle windows that you just have to take a look into because you haven't seen one before.

The fourth window is the window into the bedroom...and when you look in...you realize there's a whole bunch of s&m goin' on...down and dirty...to the roots...

The fifth window...probably into the kitchen...makes you feel like home...been there before...but it's never been yours...now it is...

and the sixth window?...it's the window that has it all...a bit of stained glass, a bit of home...half oval at the top...sex rollin' behind it...it's the window that you end up looking into the most...

because it's right there in front of the house...

They were as good as they were going to be in 1974/75...but it's like a piece of gold...it's sure as fuck not 2-dimensional...there are many sides...

and it's value rarely goes down...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think 5150 killed creativity at all...

I think Ed started taking something that led him to believe 2 things...

1. Dave was stealing the spotlight (of course...always)

and

2. They had to "grow up,"

as though 1984...when they were the biggest thing in the rock and roll world...period...

didn't prove that already...

I heard someone say that 1978...they were the biggest thing in the rock world...and that may be true...for you...

but in 1984...they were never any bigger...

they owned the rock charts/magazines/MTV/concert stage...everything...

and one the covers?

David Lee Roth...

period

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by POJO_Risin

and

as though 1984...when they were the biggest thing in the rock and roll world...period...

I heard someone say that 1978...they were the biggest thing in the rock world...and that may be true...for you...

and one the covers?

David Lee Roth...

period
    Very, very true.

And believe it or not, although I can't verify this since I only saw 'em in 84', but judging by bootlegs and stuff, they may have been at their best live in 1984. If not musically, then performance-wise. There was an enormous amount of tension energy in the band that needed to be purged creatively onstage, a sort of neurotic energy that people have when they're waiting for a bomb to go off. They weren't as united as musicians as they were in say the Fairwarning Tour or the 'Hide Your Sheep Tour,' but individually, they were at the top of their craft --when not heavily intoxicated that is.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I didn't see the tours other than through boots other than "1984" either...

and I have to say...

that's a hard question to answer...

what year were they best live...

I'm going to run with 1984...because I saw that tour...

but bootwise...hmmm...

I'm actually curious about what some others have to say about it...

perhaps the tension combines with years of playing with each other put them at their best in 1984...

Curious as to what people think...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've heard the playing was best, the tightest, on Fairwarning, but that's academic. they were tighter because they were more desperate maybe, I dunno.' Ed had the brownsound mojo goin at it's height. Maybe they still actually liked each other as more than co-workers you have to tolerate, but wouldn't spend more than six minutes with in a bar on a Friday night, who knows?

Anyhoo, other than the three Oakland vids, there's no soundboard on Fairwarning, though there's rumored to be some that exist. But that could be bullshit.

But hell, there's no 1984 soundboards being traded either. Ed has 'em stashed under his Smoking Loons™ empties in the basement.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ah yes...the rumors...

heard many over the years...

as for spED...

we'll probably have to wait until he's dED to get them...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-31-2015 @ 07:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I remember talking with several folks who were fortunate enough to see them play in 78, 79, and 80. My guitar teacher told me years ago that when he saw them in 80, he got so excited he ripped his chair from the floor. Several older friends said these guys were just giant killers, beating the snot out of the likes of Black Sabbath and Journey. I think they were at their best when they were the newbies on the scene. Just by watching the boots you could tell they were on a mission to take over the rock world and by 1984 the mission was accomplished. Shit the only reason Motley Crue held the belt was because VH was a no show in 85 and then in 86 the worst scenario ever weilded it's ugly head in the form of Van Hagar. I saw them in 84 and to this day it is the greatest show I have ever seen. The only thing that came close to it was the KISS Reunion tour in 96. But if the real VH REUNION had taken place in 96 it would have melted the Kiss tour into the ground.

guwapo_rocker
    I would rank the Diver Down and 1984 tours as even performance wise.

They were both great shows. Although, if I remember correctly,

Ed playing the solo to Jump on the keyboard was a letdown.

But it's a blur to be honest.

Last edited by guwapo_rocker; 08-05-2006 at 07:14 PM.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's very...very hard to rank ANY tour that you haven't seen live...

like I said...1984 was the single greatest experience that I ever saw live...

The biggest problem I have though is that I wonder what my experience would have been had I not been a teen...and as an adult (no doubt better)...

that being said...judging from boots I've seen...the swagger I saw in 1984 was second to none...

of course...being there before 1984 may have changed my opinion...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
    Although, if I remember correctly,

Ed playing the solo to Jump on the keyboard was a letdown.

I remember the day after the concert, some people not letting go of this exact thing.

There were so many earth-shattering positives from the show and people are going on about how Ed didn't play his 20 second guitar solo in Jump.

Why?

I remember Little Guitars and how fucking cool that was live.

Hot For Teacher, Everybody Wants Some, Unchained for the opener with Roth doing 20 somersaults across the front of the stage.

How's that for an entrance?

guwapo_rocker
    Because, as a guitar player I dug the solo, and I guess alot

of us were looking forward to him playing it.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

After VH1 it was over for me, VH2 sounded like polished up outtakes from VH1.
    I like to think of WACF as the most un-polished album, it was cuntpleted in record time. No cheeseburgers and joints, just rain on the patio.

Legacy?

Arena rock got a facelift....posturing was out the window, and overalls didn't qualify as glam....ex-specially when they matched the geetar in front of 'em. You hear that Mangum fanatics? That's right. Black Oak Arkansas didn't have a knee-slidin', smilin', horse-whinneying geetarist! And on top of that? Their music sucked!!!

I saw Van Halen on the WACF tour. Jacksonville Colisseum.....lots of people smoking dope. Dave got hit with a roll of toilet paper, and busted out the "fuck your girlfriend" schtick.

Lucky me!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

After VH1 it was over for me, VH2 sounded like polished up outtakes from VH1. With the possible exception of 1984 VH never released an album as good as the first again.
    You didn't like Fair Warning? The reason Fair Warning was so different, and the reason it stands out from the ones before it, is that it was really the first album the band had to write from scratch. You're correct about VHII being leftovers from the first album, but so was WACF. Actually, some of the songs on WACF were some of the band's oldest songs. "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "In A Simple Rhyme" were first recorded at Cherokee studios back when a guy named Mark Stone was still playing bass. But the recordings were fresh, and the songs had certainly evolved considerably from the club days. Even 1984 had one holdover from the club days - "House of Pain" Though the lyrics and tempo of the song were completely different on the 1984 version from the version that should have - but for whatever reasons didn't - make it on to the first album.

In DLRs book Crazy From THe Heat, there is a photograph of DLR and EVH on stage entitled 'When we were kings' That sums it all up to me.
    They were indeed the Kings. Actually, it was really cool of Elvis to drop dead in 1977 so the throne would be vacant.

Serial Killer
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-28-2007 @ 08:31 AM
    Status
    Thanks

and

and Dave saw fit leave this band at the height of it's powers. Good move Dave.

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-30-2015 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The debut album was by far the best album. Period. The other 5 were good, but the first one was the motherfucker.

As far as live, I think they were at their peak between 1978-1979. After that they had nothing to prove... they were the reigning champs. I remember going to the 1980 Invasion tour in Oakland on Dave's Bday... Dave was drunk, forgetting words to songs, slurring through his shtick in between songs. It was kind of embarrassing. The concert was more of a party. 1981 Oakland show was much tighter. I went to the June 12th show, graduated high school the night before.
    Last edited by light 'em up!; 08-06-2006 at 08:24 PM.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Plexi Head
    and Dave saw fit leave this band at the height of it's powers. Good move Dave.
    Dave saw fit to leave the band...because the fucking band didn't want to fucking tour...or even work on an album...

I have the fucking interview...

Dave doing interviews left and right...regarding his solo EP album...

"The only reason why I'm doing this is because I can't get the rest of the band into the studio..."

It took fucking Dave leaving to get them off of their asses...

figures...

but hey...whatever...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I forget the interview...but Dave was asked when the were going to do another tour of Australia and Japan...

and he said he'd do it right now...but can't get anyone to want to do it...

and he was right...

Oh...there was more to it than that...but not much more...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave knew they should strike when they were at their peak.

And then Ed played him "Love Walks In".

Bye

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Those worthless cunts did everything they could to "change the lineup" back in 1985 and 1986...

fuck them...

but oh wait...spED shits flowers...so it couldn't have been him...

ridiculous...

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

I have one thing to say...
    Let Sally Drive... uh u hu hu hu huh

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I forget the interview...but Dave was asked when the were going to do another tour of Australia and Japan...

and he said he'd do it right now...but can't get anyone to want to do it...

and he was right...

Oh...there was more to it than that...but not much more...
    The best one was regarding South America. LMAO.....said he couldn't get the band motivated to go back down there. Something about the water in the toilet swirling the opposite way below the equator, and how it freaked 'em out.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's actually an interesting interview...this bitch keeps asking him about his solo album...and he keeps talking about VH...and how he wants to reconvene for an album and a tour...

she also asks him about a movie...and he said, "He wouldn't do one with out Ed writing the soundtrack for it...but Ed said he would..."

something like that...I'll have to rewatch it...

Thread Information