I never liked Metal. In England in 1978 it didn't really exist. It was all about The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers, The Stranglers, you get the picture. Then a friend of mine leant me Van Halen 1. I realised this was brilliant music - good time rock and roll fun. This band didn't take themeselves too seriously and had some great tunes.

28 years later I sill play that record and it still sounds good, but where did this music come from? In 1973 Montrose recorded their debut album'Montrose'. What are the common factors in both these records? Sunset Sound? Ted Templeman? Ok Ronnie Montrose is no Eddie VH, but the record has the same feel as VH 1, all single takes, few overdubs and the sound of a band having a good time playing their songs.

After VH1 it was over for me, VH2 sounded like polished up outtakes from VH1. With the possible exception of 1984 VH never released an album as good as the first again.

So what is the VH legacy? Warrant? Poison?
Or is it lawsuits, alcoholism, cancer?

In DLRs book Crazy From THe Heat, there is a photograph of DLR and EVH on stage entitled 'When we were kings' That sums it all up to me.