• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Russians Sweep all Heavyweight Titles

Well...not much to say here...

other than there's never really been a sorrier crop of heavyweights in the world than right now...

Maskaev completes European sweep
    Story Tools:
    Print Email Blog This
    Sammy Rozenberg / BoxingScene.com
    Posted: 3 hours ago

The American rule of the heavyweights is no more. Before a packed crowd in Las Vegas, Nevada, Oleg Maskaev (33-5, 26 KOs) stopped Hasim Rahman (41-6-2, 33 KOs) in the 12th and final round to capture the WBC heavyweight title.

Maskaev completed the European sweep of the heavyweight titles, joining WBA champion Nikolai Valuev, WBO champion Sergei Liakhovich and IBF champion Wladimir Klitschko.
    If Rahman would have survived the round, Maskaev would have won the fight by way of a split decision. At the time of the stoppage, the scores were 106-103 Maskaev, 106-103 Rahman and 105-104 Maskaev. Considering that Maskaev was dominating the final round, and scored a knockdown, he would have been given a 10-8 round across the boards to win the title.

Both men were cautious at the start of the fight. Rahman began an early lead by being consistent with his jab. Around the fifth round, Maskaev began to neutralize the jab and land crisp left hooks.

The two fighters appeared to be tired going into the final round, with the fight on the table. Just when it appeared that Rahman may be on his way to winning a close decision over a tired Maskaev, the same right hand Maskaev used to knock Rahman out when the two met in 1999, connected on Rahman's jaw and sent him down to the canvas. Rahman was able to beat the count, but his legs were gone and Maskaev went on the attack with vicious intent.

With less then a minute left in the fight, Maskaev continued to batter Rahman with big punches, forcing referee Jay Nady to stop the fight.

The IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko is waiting in the wings for Maskaev. Emanuel Steward, Klitschko's trainer, stated that they were not going to finalize a deal with Shannon Briggs until the Rahman-Maskaev date had passed.

The general feeling is that Maskaev will accept the deal to meet Klitschko for a unification encounter. Klitschko has a November 11 date set for Madison Square Garden, with HBO televising the fight live. Klitschko could be the easiest and the hardest fight to win depending on the strategy. In his most recent bouts against Chris Byrd and Samuel Peter, Klitschko was able to use his size to his full advantage to win.

The problems for Klitschko in the Byrd and Peter bouts were the ability of his opponents to find their target. The speed difference between Byrd and Peter is very significant. Byrd is one of the quickest heavyweights in the division, while Peter possesses a below-average hand speed and telegraphs his punches. Considering that both opponents were able to land their punches, regardless of hand speed, demonstrates that Klitschko still has to work on his defense.

Byrd was unable to hurt Klitschko with any of his punches, but Peter put Klitschko on the canvass on three occasions. The knockdowns by Peter were not clean, but he was still able to get inside and connect with Klitschko, who left himself open. Maskaev is quicker than Peter — not as good a boxer as Byrd, but he has a good combination of tools to pull a possible upset.

Maskaev will have to get off first, not allow Klitschko to establish the distance with his strong jab and get inside. Klitschko does not like to fight backwards against aggressive punchers that come forward. Maskaev will have to be aggressive and take some chances if he wants to stand a serious chance of winning.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

First Thought, When Russian and Boxer are in the same sentence !
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• DlocRoth
      ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I must break you.

This just in. Heavyweight boxing sucks....

If they aint fighting below 165, who gives a shit!?
      Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

It's to bad...because when they have good heavyweights...

it takes all the other divisions to even equal it...

but there isn't even one...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• DlocRoth
          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Yep....

And it fucking sucks.

Ever since Lewis, who I hate, but begrudgingly give respect.....

it's a joke.
          Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

and c'mon...Lennox Lewis was great...

but for someone his size...boxed like a bitch...

Comment

• DlocRoth
              ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

My sentiments exactly.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Christ...he was what...6'6"...and fought like a fucking flyweight...

There hasn't been a legitimate heavy since...

and pardon me Holyfield legitimizers...

but since Tyson in his prime...

Holyfield beat Tyson at the endgame...

he was a good fighter...a great fighter...but not one to remember...

I mean he was on Dancing with the Stars...

enough said...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Rumor is that Malkin fled his hockey team to go for the middleweight title....
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

AND!!!!

He married Holyfield's Ear Chunk...

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                      Christ...he was what...6'6"...and fought like a fucking flyweight...

There hasn't been a legitimate heavy since...

and pardon me Holyfield legitimizers...

but since Tyson in his prime...

Holyfield beat Tyson at the endgame...

he was a good fighter...a great fighter...but not one to remember...

I mean he was on Dancing with the Stars...

enough said...

A fucking men!

However, whilst I think Lewis is overrated, he was a very good fighter.

Holyfield got his ass handed to him twice (no way the first fight was a draw) and he beat everyone that there was to beat.

You have to remember that Riddick Bowe wouldn't fight Lewis in the early 90's when bow became champ (maybe becuase Lewis had beaten him in the Olympics years before?)

But I have to agree that Lewis could be very dull to watch, he was very happy to sit behind his jab.

I also agree that Tyson at his peak would have murdered Lewis at his....
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by POJO_Risin

there's never really been a sorrier crop of heavyweights in the world than right now...

Why is that?

Some people have said it is becasue big guys are drawn into other sports in Amercia right now becasue they can get paid big bucks more easily than being hit in the head for a living: but hasn't that always been the case?

Seems to me that heavyweights are getting bigger and bigger, like 250 lbs + isn't a surprise anymore. That's ok for the Russians, they Klitchsko and Valuev are both big guys, so 250 is ok on them. But a lot of guys I would like to see come in at 220 - 230 are coming in way too heavy (Shannon Hoon is the best example): are they buling up to make up for a lack of skill?

Seems to me, that in order to beat one of the big Europeans, who have huge reach advantages, you are gonna have to rely on speed and footwork: get passed the jab, throw to the body, and get out - that way these big guys would slowly get worn down.

Coming in heavier and heavier just makes it less likely that they will get close enough to do damage.

Also, does anyone know of an up and comer that has potential?
                        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...