Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is The New ABC "911-Docu-drama" Complete Bullpoopy?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

Is The New ABC "911-Docu-drama" Complete Bullshit?

Top Bush counterterrorism official bashes ABC's 9/11 mockumentary
    by kos
    Wed Sep 06, 2006 at 08:22:10 AM PDT

Roger Cressey, former Chief of Staff to the President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board at the White House from November 2001 to September 2002, told Scarborough:

SCARBOROUGH: Roger, let me begin with you. There are points of this docudrama that are more drama than fact. But talk about Bill Clinton and the central premise by ABC that he should have done more to get Bin Laden.

CRESSY: Joe, it's amazing, based on what I've seen so far is how much they've gotten wrong. They got the small stuff wrong such as Khalid Sheikh Mohammed instructing Ahmed Rassam to carry out the millenium attacks. Then they got the big stuff wrong, this fantasy about how we had a CIA officer and the Northern Alliance leader Ahmed Massoud looking at Bin Laden and they breathlessly call the White House to say we need to take him out and the White House said no. I mean it's sheer fantasy. So, if they want to critique the Clinton administration and the Bush administration, based on fact, I think that's fine. But what ABC has done here is something straight out of Disney and fantasyland. It's factually wrong. And that's shameful.

SCARBOROUGH: But at the same time, doesn't history show that Bill Clinton had several opportunities to go after bin Laden, but the President and his cabinet were afraid to do so because they may offend some people in the Arab world?

CRESSY: Actually, Joe, that had nothing to do with it. If you read the 9/11 Commission report, it makes it very clear. In most of those cases, George Tenet, the Director of the CIA, said because there was single source intelligence it was his recommendation to the President not to take the shot. There was never a case where we had a clear shot at Bin Laden and the decision to take it wasn't made.

CYA'in for the pRez?"
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The official ABC blog was pulled after the films premise, which reportedly contradicts much of the "911 Report," was picked apart by critics decrying the fact that the script was written by a conservative activist, and that it contains many fallacies, such as an actress portraying Condi Rice, running around saying how worried Bush is about the August 2001 terror threat briefing, even though he was so worried that he apparently did absolutely nothing about it.

The blog is preserved here.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

The movie is being made by an Iranian exile director. Iranian exiles make Cuban exiles look like vegan PETA members by comparison. This is a right wing hatchet job from day one, and it has NOT gone un-noticed.

And for right wingers who would ask "well have you seen the movie"??

No I haven't. Neither has anyone else who is NOT a registered Republican. Including the former President who is once again slandered by these bastards.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've read they purposefully avoided any exposure to left or even moderate leaning blogs, while giving special screenings to rightists all over the Web.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Exactly. And why the Hell would they do that if they weren't pushing an agenda?

Remember how Eisner signed a distribution deal with Michael Moore under "Touchstone Pictures" and then tried to block the release of "Fahrenheit 9-11" completely?

ABC are bigger pawns of the right wing under Disney than they even were under Bill Casey's CIA front "Capitol Cities Communications" in the 1980's.

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2011 @ 11:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    How many more "new" documentaries can possibly be creative?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

**Front Line EXCLUSIVE!!!!**

Here's a couple screen caps from the new ABC mockumentary.....

Shocking, isn't it? :eek:

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-10-2024 @ 10:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

If you inserted Kim's face over Hussein's face, maybe have in a warm embrace, then it would be a true mockumentary.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ABC = Assholes Bashing Clinton

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If ABC put out anything that had the bullseye on George W. Bush, you'd be praising it to heaven, right FORD?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Warham
    If you inserted Kim's face over Hussein's face, maybe have in a warm embrace, then it would be a true mockumentary.
    Why? We've never whipped up a War against him, posing him as Hitler-lite™, with faulty rhetoric either.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If ABC put out anything that had the bullseye on George W. Bush, you'd be praising it to heaven, right FORD?
    If ANY corporate media outlet told the truth about that fucking unelected murdering bastard, I'd do free advertising for them!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I can't speak for Ford. But this is a serious subject that is just nauseating that ABC allowed to be politicized with full-revisionist history by a stupid cunt. And they've made little pretense of it, other than "this is a docu-drama" excuse.

No one has put a bullseye on Bush, while purporting to give a factual account of 9/11 as a "docudrama" storyline. Not Oliver Stone, not the makers of Flight 93.

BTW, where is the commentary from the Neo Cons that claimed that Stone might just be a profiteer off the tragedy?

And no, I would not support a movie that just made Bush look bad or good, he can do the former himself.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I do not endorse Stone making any money off of his WTC movie. If he did, he's a cunt. Not that I liked the guy anyway.

His JFK movie reeked.
    Last edited by Warham; 09-07-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I do not endorse Stone making any money off of his WTC movie. If he did, he's a cunt. Not that I liked the guy anyway.

His JFK movie reeked.
    Funny, but how do you feel about ABC making money off this TV-movie?

Oliver Stone=Bad!

ABC/Disney TV Execs=Good!

And JFK is a well crafted, entertaining film. I don't believe it, but it is still a very well made piece.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think ABC should make money off of this 'piece' either.

I don't like aBS. It's another liberal network like nBS and cBS.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The only thing I remember about JFK is...

"Back and to da left. Back and to da left."

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think ABC should make money off of this 'piece' either.

I don't like aBS. It's another liberal network like nBS and cBS.
    All evidence to the cuntrary. And you'll be avidly watching, won't you?

The only thing I remember about JFK is...

"Back and to da left. Back and to da left."

Funny though, Stone smeared one of the most socially liberal presidents in U.S. history in it...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I probably won't watch the 'docu-drama', even though Limbaugh praises it.

I really don't care what Stone does. I don't think every liberal president should be smeared. Kennedy was probably the most conservative Democrat president in the last hundred years. Tax cuts. 'Nuff said.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I probably won't watch the 'docu-drama', even though Limbaugh praises it.
    Ooohoohoo! Limbaugh likes it, it must be good!

Clinton officials to ABC: Fix or pull 9/11 miniseries
    POSTED: 6:52 p.m. EDT, September 7, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- A miniseries about the events leading to the September 11 attacks is "terribly wrong" and ABC should correct it or not air it, former Clinton administration officials demanded in letters to the head of ABC's parent company.

But in a statement released Thursday afternoon in apparent response to the growing uproar, ABC said, "No one has seen the final version of the film, because the editing process is not yet complete, so criticisms of film specifics are premature and irresponsible."

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, former National Security Adviser Sandy Berger, Clinton Foundation head Bruce Lindsey and Clinton adviser Douglas Band all wrote in the past week to Robert Iger, CEO of The Walt Disney Co., to express concern over "The Path to 9/11." (Read the letter from Sandy Berger -- .pdf file, requires Adobe Acrobat)

The two-part miniseries, scheduled to be broadcast on Sunday and Monday, is drawn from interviews and documents including the report of the September 11 commission. ABC has described it as a "dramatization" as opposed to a documentary. (Watch a 9/11 Commission member list inaccuracies in a proposed scene -- 3:25)

"For dramatic and narrative purposes, the movie contains fictionalized scenes, composite and representative characters and dialogue, and time compression," ABC said in its statement. "We hope viewers will watch the entire broadcast of the finished film before forming an opinion about it."

The letter writers said that the miniseries contained factual errors, and that their requests to see it had gone unanswered.

"The content of this drama is factually and incontrovertibly inaccurate and ABC has a duty to fully correct all errors or pull the drama entirely. It is unconscionable to mislead the American public about one of the most horrendous tragedies our country has ever known," Lindsey and Band wrote in their letter.

The letter writers pointed out examples of scenes they had been told were in the miniseries, but which they said never happened. Albright objected to a scene that she was told showed her insisting on warning the Pakistani government before an airstrike on Afghanistan, and that she was the one who made the warning.

"The scene as explained to me is false and defamatory," she said. (Read Albright's letter -- .pdf file, requires Adobe Acrobat)

Berger objected to a scene that he was told showed him refusing to authorize an attack on Osama bin Laden despite the request from CIA officials. "The fabrication of this scene (of such apparent magnitude) cannot be justified under any reasonable definition of dramatic license," he wrote.

Lindsey and Band objected to advertisements for the miniseries, which they said suggested that Clinton wasn't paying enough attention to the threat of terrorism.

"While ABC is promoting 'The Path to 9/11' as a dramatization of historical fact, in truth it is a fictitious rewriting of history that will be misinterpreted by millions of Americans," they said. "Given your stated obligation to 'get it right,' we urge you to do so by not airing this drama until the egregious factual errors are corrected, an endeavor we could easily assist you with given the opportunity to view the film."

Democratic Sens. Charles Schumer of New York and Harry Reid of Nevada commented on the controversy at a morning news conference.

"I haven't seen it, but from everything I've heard it's not down the middle. It's not fair at all. And to have a film that seems to be biased and take one side put on by a network seems to be the wrong thing to do," said Schumer. "You can't take a film that's supposed to report on something that's so real and so close and make it into fiction. That's beneath ABC's dignity."

"They started off this as being a documentary," added Reid. "They changed it to a docudrama and now it's a work of fiction and that's what it is. And, yes, they should pull it."

The five-hour miniseries is set to run without commercial interruption. Director David Cunningham said it was a massive undertaking, with close to 250 speaking parts, more than 300 sets, and a budget of $40 million. Cunningham has said he shot 550 hours of film. Among the actors in it are Harvey Keitel, Patricia Heaton and Donnie Wahlberg.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Link

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They based their faulty docu-drama off that faulty 9/11 Commission Report.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-31-2015 @ 07:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Why Does the Left Hate "The Path to 9/11"?
    By Hugh Hewitt
    Thursday, September 7, 2006

Your Email Address:

Your Subject:

Your Message:

Email It
    Print It
    Take Action Book Club

Read Article & Comments (160) Trackbacks(4) Post Your Comments

On Sunday and Monday nights at 8 PM, ABC will air a five hour mini-series, "The Path to 9/11." I have watched it, and it is a riveting and in some respects horrifying recreation of the events from the hours before the first World Trade Center attack in 1993 through the awful events of 9/11. Rarely does television reach this level of drama, and director David Cunningham and writer Cyrus Nowrasteh deserve great praise from left, right and center for a masterful retelling of the crucial events leading up to the devastation of five years ago.

A five hour show that must condense eight years by necessity will not be complete, but it is very accurate. As a very accurate docudrama, "The Path to 9/11" has drawn the deep anger of the Clinton political machine. Representatives of that era have been demanding at a minimum edits and some outright cancellation of the program. Monica Lewinsky makes an appearance, you see, as does Bill Clinton's videotaped testimony about his perjury. National Security Advisor Sandy Berger is portrayed as indecisive, Madeleine Albright as misdirected, George Tenet as sputtering. The film does not spare the Bush Administration its shots either, but for the left in the US the most damning thing possible is a recounting of the deep slumber concerning al Qaeda that overcame not just President Clinton but all parts of the national security apparatus throughout the '90s. The film does not damn those in charge during those years. It does however deliver a indictment of criminal negligence from which there is simply no escape.

Former U.S. president Bill Clinton walks off the stage following a panel discussion at the Sixteenth International AIDS conference in Toronto August 15, 2006. REUTERS/J.P. Moczulski (CANADA) By attempting a programming coup against the series, the Clinton forces have brought enormous attention to the film, and for that I thank them. The program is not primarily about the Clinton stewardship --or lack thereof-- of the national security. It is not even secondarily about that.

Rather the mini-series is the first attempt --very successful-- to convey to American television viewers what we are up against: The fanaticism, the maniacal evil, the energy and the genius for mayhem of the enemy.

In the self-serving complaints about this scene or that take delivered by Richard Ben-Veniste and other proxies are replayed again the deadly narcissisms of the'90s. The program's great faults are --they say-- in the inaccurate portrayal of Bill Clinton and his furrowed brow and continual efforts to track down bin Laden.

It is all about them, you see. Just as it was in the '90s. To hell with O'Neill or the victims of 9/11, and forget about the worldwide menace that continues to nurse its hatred, though now from caves and not compounds.

Not a word from these critics about the program's greatest strength, which is in the accurate rendering of the enemy, and the warning it might give about the need for continual vigilance.

Critics of the program want to argue that a five hour program has collapsed eight years too brusquely. There is, by the way, zero mention in the fve hours of the allegations that Clinton let bin Laden slip through his fingers when the terror chief was offered up by Sudan. There is no Atta meeting in Prague, no suggestion of a Saddam history of terror ties unrelated to 9/11 --in short, there is no reaching by the writer/producers/director. It is an objective show, and not one that will cheer the right. But any show that does not praise Clinton or hopelessly conflate the eight years of the Clinton tenure with the eight months of the pre-9/11 Bush Administration is to be condemned.

"The Path to 9/11" is a faithful and compelling recreation within the limits of the craft of the fatal nonchalance of the '90s, combined with a salute to the hard-working men and women who struggled against the bureaucratic insanities of that era, represented chiefly in the person of FBI Agent John O'Neill, played by Harvey Keitel, and a supporting cast of brave and never-discouraged lower level Bureau and CIA operatives who understood the risks. In trying to deep-six the series, the Clinton forces are trying to silence their story.

The Clinton operatives are also bringing a useful attention to the program and especially any last minute edits ABC might make. The network risks outrage from center and right if it airbrushes the narrative, and even from those in Hollywood who stand by the idea that a good faith piece of work should be unmolested by the PC police.

No matter your opinions of Presidents Clinton and Bush, be sure to watch (or set your TiVo) to ABC Sunday night at 8. You be the judge. Hopefully ABC will give you that chance.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"But any show that does not praise Clinton or hopelessly conflate the eight years of the Clinton tenure with the eight months of the pre-9/11 Bush Administration is to be condemned".
    We wouldn't want that to happen! He's trying to prop up that legacy, but the last leg is giving waaaaaay!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We wouldn't want that to happen! He's trying to prop up that legacy, but the last leg is giving waaaaaay!

Yeah, his third leg. LOL!!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
    Why Does the Left Hate "The Path to 9/11"?
    By Hugh Hewitt
    Thursday, September 7, 2006

No matter your opinions of Presidents Clinton and Bush, be sure to watch (or set your TiVo) to ABC Sunday night at 8. You be the judge. Hopefully ABC will give you that chance.
    Yeah, I just scanned this piece of shit, but nowhere did they mention that it contradicts the 9/11 Report it was supposedly "based" on. And also the fact that ABC is essentially tragedy-profiteering.
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-08-2006 at 08:54 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And oh yeah, they also refused to show the film to any left-leaning, or even moderate blog writers, columnists, and pundits whilst freely sharing with the Rush Limbaugh's and right leaning blogists. There is supposedly a scene that is such an embarrassment (of the Condi-actress going-on about how Bush was obsessing over an August terror brief) that even she admits this film is shit.

And of course, the trump card scene where Clinton, Clark, and "Sandy" Berger slam the phone down on CIA agents telling them that they've "surrounded Bin Laden," a clear fallacy that never happened.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And a goodmorning to you too Nick.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And a goodmorning to you too Nick.
    And to you too sir.

http://www.outtahear.com/Nikki/SMTSFLSH2.swf

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hopefully ABC will give you that chance.

Just like CBS gave us the chance to judge their "Reagans" mini series.

Oh that's right... they didn't.

And that one got pulled because of contraversy over one line whic right wingers deny Ronnie ever saying "they that live in sin shall die in sin", in reference to AIDS and it supposedly being a "gay" disease.

Whether Reagan ever said the exact words or not, the policies of his administration toward the AIDS crisis reflected exactly that attitude.

By contrast, this ABC fictional fiasco disagrees with not only the accounts of those who were actually there, but (as previously mentioned) the 9-11 commission's own report which itself was the 21st century equivalent of the Warren Commission.

ABC should pull the plug on this slanderous, fictional piece of shit.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"The Path To Impeachment"
    FADE IN:

CAPTION:

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A DOCUMENTARY. IT IS A
    DOCUDRAMA DRAWN FROM A VARIETY OF SOURCES,
    INCLUDING THE KEN STARR INDEPENDENT COUNSEL'S
    REPORT. AS SUCH, FOR DRAMATIC PURPOSES, THE
    MOVIE CONTAINS FICTIONALIZED SCENES AND TIME
    COMPRESSION.

INT. SPEAKER'S OFFICE -- NIGHT

Lights are low. SPEAKER NEWT GINGRICH is seated behind his
    desk. SENATOR PHIL GRAMM is seated across from him. A
    dartboard with a likeness of HILLARY CLINTON is on the far
    wall, and a voodoo doll with BILL CLINTON's face on it is
    laying on the desk.

GRAMM
    Newt, we have got to get us rid of
    this Clinton fella.

NEWT
    Why? He's starting to triangulate again.
    He's been giving us a lot of what we want:
    a middle class tax cut, welfare reform,
    why he's been the best Republican President
    we've had in ages, and he's a Democrat!

GRAMM
    It's this whole terrorism thing. Not only
    is he causing shit with our friends in Saudi
    Arabia....

NEWT
    This is network TV, Phil, please don't say
    the S-Word.

GRAMM
    Sorry. But he's trying to shut down the money
    laundering network my masters at Enron use to
    bilk their shareholders.

NEWT
    Fine, then, if it makes Enron happy. Any ideas?

GRAMM
    (crosses to and opens door)
    Helen? Get us that intern. The pudgy one with
    the beret and the goofy hair.

EXT. ROPE LINE -- MORNING

President BILL CLINTON is working the rope line, shaking
    hands. MONICA LEWINSKI approaches him, and whispers into his
    ear. Through the magic of television, we hear the full
    exchange.

MONICA
    I want to have sex with you, Mr. President.

CLINTON
    Sorry, lady, I'm a married man.

GRAMM
    He didn't fall for it, Newt.

NEWT
    Give her time. I've gotten her a job in the
    White House. She'll work her magic before long.

INT. OVAL OFFICE -- DAY

MONICA is carrying a pile of papers. CLINTON is seated behind
    his desk.

MONICA
    Here are the reports you wanted, Mr. President.

CLINTON
    Thank you, uh, what was your name again?

MONICA
    Monica.

CLINTON
    Thank you, Monica.

MONICA
    Do you want anything else?

CLINTON
    No, thank you.

MONICA
    You don't want to spread me open here on
    your desk?

CLINTON
    No, I do not.

MONICA
    You don't want to insert this cigar into
    my...

CLINTON
    No, I do not.

MONICA
    Okay then, thank you, Mr. President.

GRAMM
    She still can't seduce him, Newt! And I
    thought he was a randy bastard.

NEWT
    Guess we were wrong. Time for more drastic
    measures.

GRAMM
    What have you got there, Newt?

NEWT
    I had my secretary break into the intern's
    house and retrieve this blue dress.

GRAMM
    Newt, why are you unzipping your pants?

NEWT
    Shut up and hand me that "Hustler!"

FADE OUT:

CAPTION:

THE PATH TO IMPEACHMENT IS NOT A DOCUMENTARY. IT
    IS A
    DOCUDRAMA BASED UPON THE STARR REPORT TO THE SAME
    DEGREE
    THAT "THE PATH TO 9/11" WAS BASED ON THE
    9/11 COMMISSION
    REPORT. IT CONTAINS ABOUT AS MANY FICTIONALIZED
    SCENES AS
    "THE PATH TO 9/11" AND IS SLIGHTLY MORE
    ACCURATE. VIEWER
    DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

END OF ACT ONE

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-13-2009 @ 04:30 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck it. I don't care what it is/what it's supposed to accomplish/or if it's even aired.

Just like Farenheit 9/11
    By politics
    For politics

If it's not serving the memory of those who lost their lives, it's useless to me.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2024 @ 10:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

THe problem with making movies about real people or events you always will get the writers, producers ect bias come through on the screen.

The CBC produced a show about Tommy Douglas(The father of medi-care in my province)...seems it was very biased towards the left.
    They made enough false dramatizations of the government in power that after some historians and family members brought it up they had the movie pulled from being shown in schools or sold.

Comes down to you need some controversy and drama to keep people interested....when all you really want is for someone to tell the story.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, isn't this something...

Turns out the real backers of this film are a cult of dominionist, Christofascist freaks bent on history revisionism......

The case, and all supporting evidence is presented very well over at Democratic Underground.

Don't dismiss it on that basis until you read what they got. The people behind this project are sick, fascist cultist bastards.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

MEDIA MATTERS
    ABC changes 9/11 show under pressure
    Includes 'very slight alterations' in Sandy Berger scene

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: September 7, 2006
    6:25 p.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Harvey Keitel plays counter-terrorism expert John O'Neill in ABC's "The Path to 9/11

ABC has changed its "The Path to 9/11" television special, set for a commercial-free broadcast Sunday and Monday, because of pressure over the message it carries, according to a report on a television blog site.

The network heard from a number of leading political figures, many of them Democrats, who complained of alleged inaccuracies and bias in the production, according to the report in the Los Angeles Times' CalendarLive.com website.

The report said the five-hour docudrama also is in the middle of an information war between a left-wing organization that wants changes made in the film and conservative blogs defending the portrayal.

An advocacy group called The Center for American Progress Action Fund is leading an effort to have ABC cancel or change the show further.

In a statement the group said the production "presents an agenda that blames the Clinton administration" but ignores the many failures of the Bush administration.

The movie takes what its makers have judged as intelligence and operational failures of the administrations of both Bill Clinton and President Bush and turns them into a drama portraying the prelude to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in New York, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.

Fox News reported former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and Clinton aide Bruce Lindsey have written to Walt Disney Co., ABC's parent, making editing demands.

In a New York Times report, Albright said she'd been told the film "depicts scenes that never happened, events that never took place, decisions that were never made and conversations that never occurred."

The CalendarLive report said public records were used in the preparation, but Clinton supporters still were upset.

A Times' source told the newspaper ABC executives and producers have toned down a scene that was generating much of the criticism.

"That sequence has been the focus of attention," the source, who told the newspaper he didn't want to be identified, said. "These are very slight alterations."

At issue was a scene shown last week in a screening in Washington, after which audience members complained of the film's depiction of Clinton's pursuit of Osama bin Laden.

The Times said Richard A. Clarke, the former counterterrorism adviser, said the movie suggested the Clinton administration was in a position to capture the confessed terrorist leader in 1998 but canceled the mission.

Reports say that scene showed Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger, Clinton's national security adviser, declining to give the order to kill bin Laden.

As WorldNetDaily reported, Berger was the focus of a Justice Department investigation for removing highly classified terrorism documents before the Sept. 11 Commission hearings that generated the report used for the television program.

FBI agents searched Berger's home and office after he voluntarily returned some documents to the National Archives.

Berger and his lawyer told reporters he knowingly removed handwritten notes he made while reading classified anti-terror documents at the archives by sticking them in his jacket, pants and socks. They said he also inadvertently took copies of actual classified documents in a leather portfolio.

The complaints also allege the film infers Clinton was preoccupied with the Monica Lewinsky affair instead of focusing on bin Laden.

The network also decided, the report said, to make the credits say the production was "in part" based on a federal 9/11 commission report.

The network has called the production a "dramatization" of the events.

"The events that lead to 9/11 originally sparked great debate, so it's not surprising that a movie surrounding those events has revived the debate," ABC said.

ABC said in a statement today the final version hasn't been viewed yet, editing still is going on and criticisms are "premature and irresponsible."

"For dramatic and narrative purposes, the movie contains fictionalized scenes, composite and representative characters and dialogue and time compression," the network said. "We hope viewers will watch the entire broadcast of the finished film before forming an opinion about it."

Program executive producer Marc Platt reportedly told the Washington Post he worked to be "fair."

"If individuals feel they're wrongly portrayed, that's obviously a concern. We've portrayed the essence of the truth of these events. Our intention was not in any way to be political or present a point of view," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

I thought you were banned at DU, FORD?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
    I thought you were banned at DU, FORD?
    I was, a long time ago. But I can still read the board. It's still a good place to find news links, such as in this case.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sandy Bergler's been altered?

Did they revise his key scene by showing him putting the documents into a briefcase instead of stuffing them in his trousers?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I can't fucking believe this.... one of the local newspapers actually took some fucking online blogger piece of shit written by a toothless homeschooled Freeper and published it as a "legitimate review" of this propaganda shit piece.

These bastards have no shame.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2024 @ 10:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by FORD
    I can't fucking believe this.... one of the local newspapers actually took some fucking online blogger piece of shit written by a toothless homeschooled Freeper and published it as a "legitimate review" of this propaganda shit piece.

These bastards have no shame.

Seems pretty lazy on the newspaper's behalf.

Blogs are a wonderful thing...but you really gotta put the filters on when reading some.

Thread Information