Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Bush assassination film wins an award at Toronto film festival

Bush Shooting Film Gets Critics' Nod
    Toronto Festival: 'Bella,' 'Death Of A President' Take Top Prizes

TORONTO, Sept. 17, 2006
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This scene from "Death of a President" is digitally manipulated to portray an assassination attempt on George W. Bush. (AP Photo)

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go To Comments

(AP) The unheralded "Bella," Mexican-born director Alejandro Gomez Monteverde's feature film debut, took the top audience prize at the 31st Toronto International Film Festival, while international critics gave an award to the controversial British TV movie "Death of a President," which centers on a fictionalized assassination of George W. Bush.

"Bella," a romantic film which tells the story of a former Mexican soccer star turned chef (Mexican actor Eduardo Verastegui) and a troubled waitress (American stage actress Tammy Blanchard) whose lives converge and turn upside down during a single day in New York, was the surprise winner of the People's Choice Award voted on by festival audiences.

"This festival has been so, so amazing," Monteverde said as he accepted the award at the festival's closing reception Saturday night at the Hilton Hotel. "They treat the little ones and the big ones the same. ... Thank you, Toronto film festival, for allowing film-makers like myself who come from nothing to come here."

Monteverde, who was born in Mexico but moved to the United States as a teenager, earlier this year married actress and former Miss USA Ali Landry, who has a supporting role in the U.S.-produced "Bella."

Last year's People's Choice Award winner, the South African film "Tsotsi," won the Oscar for best foreign- language film.

French director Patrice Leconte's buddy film "Mon meilleur ami" was the first runner-up for the People's Choice Award, followed by Barbara Kopple and Cecilia Peck's documentary "Dixie Chicks: Shut up and Sing," which chronicles the trio's transition from country music darlings to bold symbols for freedom of expression after their criticism of President Bush sparked a strong backlash.

British director Gabriel Range's "Death of a President" stirred up a strong reaction even before it premiered at the festival, but it won the Prize of the International Critics (FIPRESCI Prize). The jury of film critics cited the film "for the audacity with which it distorts reality to reveal a larger truth."

"Death of a President," which was bought by Newmarket Films and is slated to air Oct. 9 on an offshoot of Britain's Channel 4 network, chronicles the sniper shooting of Bush on Oct. 19, 2007, during a trip to Chicago and the ensuing investigation.

The film blends archival footage of Bush interspersed with fierce anti-war protests and other fictional scenes crafted by the filmmakers. Actors posing as administration officials and Secret Service agents were digitally grafted into some images of the president and his entourage. The filmmakers said they chose to use Bush rather than substitute a fictitious president to heighten the authenticity.

"I'm thrilled that the film is going to be shown in theaters both here and in the U.S. in the near future," Range said Saturday. "That's proof that people can see beyond the premise and see that it's a film about this post-9/11 world that we live in."

Other prizes announced Saturday night included the Swarovski Cultural Innovation Award which went to "Takva — A Man's Fear of God," a Turkish-German co-production about a man whose belief in God is put to the test, and the Diesel Discovery Award, voted on by the festival press corps, which went to Norwegian director Joachim Trier's feature debut "Reprise," a comedy about two young men with a shared dream of becoming writers.

The festival, which screened 352 films over 10 days, closed on Saturday with the world premiere of British director Michael Apted's "Amazing Grace," which tells the story of William Wilberforce, a British parliament member who led abolitionists in their crusade to end the slave trade in the late 18th century. The film stars Ioan Gruffudd as Wilberforce, international music star Youssou N'Dour, Rufus Sewell, Michael Gambon and Albert Finney, among others.

Link
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,285 Times in 4,714 Posts

Nope... I haven't seen it yet. Toronto's too far for me to drive just to see a movie. Now if it was in Vancouver, I might think about it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    You have to be careful because the Secret Service has investigated people who jokingly have said they want to shoot the president. Canadians can get away with it but here in the US big brother is watching you and the NSA focuses on people that are posting about killing the president.

So be very careful! I'm not kidding here. It's even a fedral offense to put the likeness of the president, a senator, or a congressman on a target even.

Under the Patriot Act you can be secretly jailed without due process for even being suspected of being a terrorist. So, you can be sent to Gitmo or numerouse other prisons around the world where electric torture awaits you. In this paranoid day and age, flaunting your dislike for politicians in such blatant ways is not a good idea.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If they can arrest me for saying I would watch a fucking movie, then let them shoot me on sight, because America is dead, if that is the case.

But before they do, they better throw every right wing wacko in prison who ever threatened Bill Clinton's life. Including a convicted felon named G. Gordon Liddy who shouldn't even OWN guns. And a senile old racist named Jesse Helms. Provided he's not burning in Hell yet.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by FORD
    If they can arrest me for saying I would watch a fucking movie, then let them shoot me on sight, because America is dead, if that is the case.

But before they do, they better throw every right wing wacko in prison who ever threatened Bill Clinton's life. Including a convicted felon named G. Gordon Liddy who shouldn't even OWN guns. And a senile old racist named Jesse Helms. Provided he's not burning in Hell yet.
    I think you can rip on the president pretty good but you better now mention you want to shoot and kill the president because the Secret Service may pay you a visit. They did to some high school kid goofing off on the internet. They takes threats very seriousely. Oh, I'm sure the NSA logs this shit in their HUGE data base. Every US citizen probably has a digital dosey on them regarding what they own, say , and what groups they belong to. With the internet, they can track this information on you so easy. They can monitor what you purchase on-line, they can monitor what you type, they can monitor where you are doing it from.

Remember the kid who was setting off bombs in a pattern all over the US? He like drew a smiley face on the US map or something. He's out in Butt Fucked Nevada in the middle of nowhere and he uses his cell phone. Busted!

This all seems rediculouse but there's the technology to do it and the govt. has the numbers of employees needed. The war on terror gives them the excuse to pry even harder into our lives.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    G. Gordon Liddy is a wierd dude. I actually met him once and was introduced to him by a retired FBI special agent who was a friend of my dads. Let me tell you those old guys who worked in the FBI under J.Edgar Hoover loved that organization and there was a tight fraternity between agents.

Anyways, I met Liddy in Arizona at this big Gunshow/Shooting Competition. Anyways, the guy I was with knew Liddy. Liddy is a wildcard. I mean there is a core to him that is educated and responsible but then there is this radicle fringe to him. What's funny is the FBI guy I was with was as conservative of a Mormon you could meet but he was buddy buddy with Liddy and Liddy has a mouth of a sailor and his mind is in the gutter. No problem, we's on the same bandwidth.

It was my first taste of conservative hypocracy.

It's like the religiouse right loving Ted Nugent because he champions their cause. I guess they never listene to the lyrics of his songs and don't know what Wang Dang Sweet Poontang is.

Liddy was shooting guns and had his own. He claims they were his wifes guns because Watergate felons can't own any. His wife wasn't there. He talks about here like she's some kind of bulldog ready to cut his balls off but let me tell you, Liddy is a dirty old man who chases young ass.

That gunshow was where I saw the conservative right are no moral than the liberals, they just pretend to be.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's my problem with gun shows..... because they DO sell guns to convicted felons and the criminally insane (Liddy is both).

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2011 @ 11:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    And a senile old racist named Jesse Helms. Provided he's not burning in Hell yet.
    Nope, he's still out there:

http://www.jessehelmscenter.org/

So was this movie banned from the U.S. due to the fear Nitro is discussing?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I like gunshows but they are different now, they call the FBI and do the background check at the shows now so it's no different than going to a gun store.

Sure you can still buy a gun legally from someone who's not a dealer but nobody in their right mind is going to sell a gun registered to them that way. If the gun is used in a crime guess who's legally liable. Smart people sell their guns through a gun dealer and transfer the serial number on the FFL form.

Liddy didn't buy any guns. He had guns but they were purchased by his wife who was not there. See, if Gordo tried to buy a gun now, the FBI database would flag him as a convicted felon. Apparently there are no laws saying you can shoot your wifes guns but there are laws about a legal purchaser buyer a gun for a felon. It's all how the situation is interpreted i guess.

Gunshows have cleaned up quite a bit from those days. I'm not against some common sense laws. Society has changed to where you no longer can buy Thompson Machine Guns at a sporting goods store or buy a Colt .45 mail order from Sears & Robuck like you used to. The kids would shoot up the school after they finished having sex with their teachers. LOL!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Shit. The way the world is going, we are all going to be living like they do in Yemmen. Everyone in Israel was packing heat. I dated a girl who was in the IDF reserve and she had a govt. issued Uzi that went everywhere. It was like the wild west.

I'm sure Bushco would love to grab all the guns in the US in reality. No way, the Second Amendment is there to guard against corrupt conservatives as much as anyone else.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    G. Gordon Liddy is a wierd dude. I actually met him once and was introduced to him by a retired FBI special agent who was a friend of my dads. Let me tell you those old guys who worked in the FBI under J.Edgar Hoover loved that organization and there was a tight fraternity between agents.

I guess he didn't realize that Liddy once advocated "shooting Jack-booted thugs (Federal Agents) in the head" because they have bullet proof body armor.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    I guess he didn't realize that Liddy once advocated "shooting Jack-booted thugs (Federal Agents) in the head" because they have bullet proof body armor.
    And he actually said that live, on his radio program. And nobody took him off the air or even charged him with a ridiculous FCC fine.

So saying "shit" on the air is "obscene" but advocating murder isn't?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2009 @ 12:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    liddy is fucken nuts. I can't beleve he has his own show.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And he actually said that live, on his radio program. And nobody took him off the air or even charged him with a ridiculous FCC fine.

So saying "shit" on the air is "obscene" but advocating murder isn't?
    I heard that comment live, and I believe he said it more than once. Once the guy got into a retarded macho frenzy, he just couldn't help himself. Of course, this was during the Clinton Administration when Authoritarian-Conservatives actually worried about civil liberties to the point of absurdest paranoia, instead of bending over and giving them up like good little "Bush-Über Alles" bitches.

Does anybody remember the days when right wingers decried black-clad militarized police having armored vehicles?

Originally posted by Kilkmaru
    liddy is fucken nuts. I can't beleve he has his own show.
    I think his show was cancelled some time ago, at least the national syndication was. He was mostly a boring, chest-thumping dolt that repeated himself, and used his radio show as a forum to slander John Dean and apologise for the Nixon Administration.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I know XM still has him on their right wing talk channel. Along with a bunch of other wackos....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    He actually said that? Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. People that seem like they are hoping and waiting for a gun battle scare me. And hey, if you really have to shoot someone in self-deffense don't think the Wyat Earp attitude isn't going to be used by the attorney representing the family of the dead guy to spin it that you are guilty of manslaughter and not deffense.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Actually, Liddy used to advocate that you kill any intruder in the house if you only wound on the first shot with a coup de grâce, so he couldn't sue you.

Oh course, his family could sue you and you could go from hero citizen to 1st degree murder is forensics noticed.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I bet Liddy is sucking Bush dick now. Jack-booted thugs is relative to the party I bet. Clinton was Hitler but Bush is behind us all the way so lets stomp the oposition.

I bet Liddy is masturbating to all the fighting and weapons in Iraq and Afganistahn. Funny the guy is so gung ho on war but never served in one.

My grandfather and both uncles were veterans. One saw heavy fighting in the WWI trenches, one served on the Russian front and was captured by the Russians and was lucky not to be killed, one served in the Marines in the Pacific theater. None of them liked to talk about the war. My grandfather who was a cowboy refused to own a gun after the war. He was in a machine gun battalion and did plenty of killing I guess.

Very few veterans who really were there care to glorify it. Liddy is a fucking wannabee.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Actually, Liddy used to advocate that you kill any intruder in the house if you only wound on the first shot with a coup de grâce, so he couldn't sue you.

Oh course, his family could sue you and you could go from hero citizen to 1st degree murder is forensics noticed.
    If the situtation has degraded to where I have to shoot someone, believe me, legal issues are going to be the last thing on my mind. If it's that bad I'm thinking about surviving the situation period.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Liddy is a lawyer right? Well, he went to law school put it that way. Holy shit, the guy is a fruit loop.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Liddy is and always has been a BCE thug. He was one of the "White House Plumbers" and those were all Poppy's guys.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I bet Liddy is sucking Bush dick now. Jack-booted thugs is relative to the party I bet. Clinton was Hitler but Bush is behind us all the way so lets stomp the oposition.

I bet Liddy is masturbating to all the fighting and weapons in Iraq and Afganistahn. Funny the guy is so gung ho on war but never served in one.

My grandfather and both uncles were veterans. One saw heavy fighting in the WWI trenches, one served on the Russian front and was captured by the Russians and was lucky not to be killed, one served in the Marines in the Pacific theater. None of them liked to talk about the war. My grandfather who was a cowboy refused to own a gun after the war. He was in a machine gun battalion and did plenty of killing I guess.

Very few veterans who really were there care to glorify it. Liddy is a fucking wannabee.
    The only things I glorify about what I did in the military are: Jackass-like stunts I use to do when I was either drunk or sober, nice locales on liberty and some other XXX rated items. LOL But I stopped doing all of that stuff years ago.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

My grandfather and both uncles were veterans. One saw heavy fighting in the WWI trenches, one served on the Russian front and was captured by the Russians and was lucky not to be killed,
    Whose side were they on?

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    Whose side were they on?
    Germany's, it sounds like. The wrong side.

Thread Information