Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Bin Laden Dead? French Intell Report Says

France to probe bin Laden death report leak
    Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:36 AM EDT

By Anna Willard

PARIS (Reuters) - France's Defense Ministry said on Saturday it could not confirm a newspaper report quoting French secret services as saying al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden had died but would launch an inquiry into the leak of secret papers.

The Defense Ministry issued the statement after the French regional newspaper L'Est Republicain said Saudi Arabia was convinced bin Laden had died of typhoid in Pakistan last month.

"The information published this morning in the L'Est Republicain newspaper relating to the supposed death of Osama bin Laden cannot be confirmed," the Defense Ministry said.

"The Defense Minister (Michele Alliot-Marie) has asked that an inquiry be carried out to determine the origin of the leak that can be punished by criminal charges."

A U.S. intelligence official told Reuters the report should be treated with caution and a senior Pakistan government official said Islamabad had not received any information from any foreign government that would corroborate the story.

The Saudi Arabian Interior Ministry spokesman was not available for comment and a Western diplomat in Riyadh said the diplomatic community had no such information.

"If anyone was in the picture, I doubt it would be Saudi intelligence. Even if Saudi Arabia had information, they'd pass it on to the United States, not France. It doesn't ring true," the diplomat said.

RELIABLE SOURCE

The French newspaper printed what it said was a copy of the report dated September 21 and said it was passed on to President Jacques Chirac and Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin on the same day.

"According to a usually reliable source, the Saudi services are now convinced that Osama bin Laden is dead," the document said.

"The information gathered by the Saudis indicates that the head of al Qaeda was a victim while he was in Pakistan on August 23, 2006, of a very serious case of typhoid which led to a partial paralysis of his internal organs."

The report, which was stamped with a "confidential defense" label and the initials of the French secret service, said Saudi Arabia first heard the information on September 4 and that it was waiting for more details before making an official announcement.

The U.S. intelligence official, who declined to be named, said bin Laden had long been rumored to be suffering from kidney ailments and is reported to have received dialysis.

"We have believed him to be in declining health for some time and there have been other rumors of his demise."

He said bin Laden had "minimal operational involvement at this time" in al Qaeda.

Saudi-born bin Laden was based in Afghanistan until the Taliban government there was overthrown by U.S.-backed forces in 2001. Since then, U.S. and Pakistani officials have regularly said they believe he is hiding somewhere on the rugged border between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

His last videotaped message released was in late 2004, but several low quality audio tapes have been released this year.

Senior U.S. intelligence figures have said bin Laden remains a significant inspirational figure but his death or capture could have a substantial impact in the war on terrorism.

They note, however, that the death of al Qaeda's leader in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, in June, has failed to lead to any letup in the violence there.

(Additional reporting by Islamabad bureau, Mark Trevelyan and Andrew Hammond in Riyadh)

� Reuters 2006. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

I'd sooooo like this report to be true!
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Ellyllions
      Veteran
      • Mar 2006

We'll never know the truth.

My beliefs?
      1) If there is ever confirmation of his death no matter how, the US Government either wouldn't release it, or deny it because the world would expect an immediate withdrawal from Afghanistan and quite possibly Iraq. Typically when the enemy's leader is gone, the war is supposed to stop, right?

2) Bin Laden's followers would deny it on all accounts for fear of the entire organization imploding on itself in confusion.

But then again, (pure speculation ahead) this could be why there has been such a push to define torture....
      "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• The_KiD
        Commando
        • Jun 2005

That would be great news but unfortunately, his followers are much bigger than him at this point..

It will be a beautiful day though when that Foriegn Piece of Filth is confirmed dead..

KiD

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Well, it is getting close to election day...

First gas prices, then Bin Laden....

Makes perfect sense to me....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
            Well, it is getting close to election day...

First gas prices, then Bin Laden....

Makes perfect sense to me....
            Next, Republicans led by Karl Rove are planning on rolling out an initiative to make it a federal offense to listen to anything by Sammy Hagar........

Talk about pandering
            Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• scamper
              Commando
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              First gas prices
              Anyone who is happy about the gas prices now is insane, we are still getting fucked. Anything over a dollar is too much.

Comment

• WACF
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

They conditioned us to higher prices.

You fucking bet we are still paying too much...but we see a little drop and we welcome it.
                I doubt we will ever get back to where it should be...too much greed to let that happen.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Nov 2004

Who? Oh yeah, isn't he the main suspect and "mastermind" of the crime known as 911?

If you voted for Bush, you voted for this!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XArJ4cuGXak"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XArJ4cuGXak" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
                  Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• blueturk
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2004

In all fairness, Dubya never had much time to hunt for bin Laden. He had to try to find the WMD's in Iraq, then try like hell to find a link between Iraq and 9/11, and THEN the poor guy had to try to spread democracy in Iraq! Who the hell could possibly track Osama down with all that shit going on?

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror." --George W. Bush, interview with CBS News' Katie Couric, Sept. 6, 2006

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm guessing what this really means is that they have run out of material for compiling fake "Osama tapes", so they're going to declare the old bastard dead just before the election, but first they'll just float the idea as a trial balloon to measure the public reaction and blame it on the French, like they do everything else that they can't blame on Clinton's cock.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

You know...it's hard to figure out why we get fucking nowhere in politics...

I mean...I just can't fucking figure it out...
                        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Could it be that this "release" of information is faked. just to try & get Osama to put out a tape confirming he's not dead? Kinda like Dave calling out Eddie in the media a while back.
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                            Could it be that this "release" of information is faked. just to try & get Osama to put out a tape confirming he's not dead?

Yeah! I'm pretty sure that is exactly what's going on here.
                            Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Dr. Love
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

French what? I'm sorry did you say French Intelligence?
                              I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

Working...