Thread: Question About DVD Burning

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Question About DVD Burning

Okay, I'm fairly new to DVD burning and I often record television shows on to DVD using my Sony home DVD recorder. Once I have something recorded, I like to load it on to my computer so I can create a cool menu with music and such. The question I have is regarding transferring and saving these DVD files to my hardrive. I have both Nero and Roxio and I've often taken a DVD, checked the properties and as an example, let's say that it's listed as 3.23 gigs. However, once it is stored on my hardrive and I check the properties it will now say, 6.65 gigs and thus is now too big to be burned on to a regular single layer disc and this is BEFORE I even create a menu. Does anyone have any idea why the disc is now doubled in size once saved to the drive? It could be something fairly simple or something could be really fucked up...All answers welcome. Thanks!
    Last edited by ALMOSTsaved; 09-28-2006 at 06:48 AM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Question About DVD Burning

Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
    Okay, I'm fairly new to DVD burning and I often record television shows on to DVD using my Sony home DVD recorder. Once I have something recorded, I like to load it on to my computer so I can create a cool menu with music and such. The question I have is regarding transferring and saving these DVD files to my hardrive. I have both Nero and Roxio and I've often taken a DVD, checked the properties and as an example, let's say that it's listed as 3.23 gigs. However, once it is stored on my hardrive and I check the properties it will now say, 6.65 gigs and thus is now too big to be burned on to a regular single layer disc and this is BEFORE I even create a menu. Does anyone have any idea why the disc is now doubled in size once saved to the drive? It could be something fairly simple or something could be really fucked up...All answers welcome. Thanks!
    1) Never use Roxio, unless you like converting DVD's to beer coasters.

2) The reason the space needed on your DVD is more than currently used by your hard drive is in the formatting. Nero first converts the video files, then burns them.

3) There's a freeware program called "DVD Shrink" that you might want to try. It uses the NERO engine to burn the DVD, but it gives you more control over getting all that video on the 4.5 gig disc. Just do a Google search and you should find it easily.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thank you Ford. Good advice! I also have Nero, so if I were to use it to "capture" or "copy" said DVD it would work better than the Roxio? I have the shrink program as well. Was just curious as to how or why Roxio was making files already on a regular DVD disc too large to be transferred to another...
    I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    step one:

throw that Roxio shit out, right now.

DVD Shrink is no longer supported, so it may not copy the latest DVD's.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    THere is also DVD Decrypter.

DVD Shrink is the bomb....it works on a majority of DVDs.

Even those with copy protection.

But certainly for stuff he has created by himself, it would work fine.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great answers guys. I do have the DVD Decryptor AND the DVD shrink. A buddy of mine gave it to me at work. I used those for commercial DVDs I wish to copy. Hell, if they'd just come down on the price of the dual layered DVDs, there'd be no worries as far as my own personal recordings go.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
    Great answers guys. I do have the DVD Decryptor AND the DVD shrink. A buddy of mine gave it to me at work. I used those for commercial DVDs I wish to copy. Hell, if they'd just come down on the price of the dual layered DVDs, there'd be no worries as far as my own personal recordings go.
    Yeah I heard ya on that one. My new DVD burner is both dual layer and the new "light scribe" feature, which burns labels right onto the disc rather than printing them in ink. Problem is that you need a special media for it, and it's even harder to find than the dual stuff.

Dual layer burners are pretty much standard now, so I imagine the price on that media will take a serious drop within the next year. Hopefully the light scribe media will soon follow.

I didn't upgrade for those features, but just because my old burner was refusing too many DVD's and new firmware wasn't helping. So I just consider the new features a "bonus" until they price the media in a range that makes them practical to use.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like DVD Shrink!

Thread Information