FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2013 @ 07:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Maiden perform entire new album live

On the opening night of their American tour, their first date in support of the recently released "A matter of life and death" album, Iron Maiden performed the whole thing in order.

Set:

Different World
    These Colours Don`t Run
    Brighter than A Thousand Suns
    The Pilgrim
    The Longest Day
    Out Of The Shadows
    The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
    For The Greater Good Of God
    Lord Of Light
    The Legacy
    Fear Of The Dark
    Iron Maiden
    ==========
    2 Minutes To Midnight
    The Evil That Men Do
    Hallowed Be Thy Name

This is great if you are a fan of the new CD but I imagine there would have been a lot of fans expecting to hear a few surprises rather than the new album and FIVE classics, albeit well worn classics, from a band with one of the most amazing back catologues in metal.

I love "Fear of the dark", "Hallowed be thy name" etc. but how about pulling out "Rime of the ancient mariner" or "Phantom of the opera", especially if there will be another live CD at the end of the tour?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Man...as a big fan, I'd have been royally pissed at that set. The new albums good, but I want to hear the classic stuff too! When I caught them two summer's ago at the Ampitheatre in Toronto, on a day off from the Ozzfest, they opened the show and then Bruce tells us, "Tonight we're only playing songs from the first four Maiden albums"...The place went fucking berzerk with cheers.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I`m in two minds over this.

I get a kick out of a band playing a full album, especially a new album, in it`s entirity. It shows that they haven`t put anything on there that they couldn`t pull off live and they don`t feel there are any filler tracks that don`t need to be heard.

Also a lot of Maiden`s set lists have been pretty static since 1990, the "Early years" tour not withstanding.

On the other hand, it does take up alot of the set and I do believe there are a lot of fans that don`t bother with the new albums and go to the shows on the strength of their old records.

I think I would have enjoyed all of the the new stuff but would have been disappointed not only with the dearth of old stuff but also the choice of the same old stuff.

It will be interesting to see if they play the same set when I go to see them in December, after all, Maiden aren`t the type of band to be swayed by public opinion, even their own public.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think they might do it for a bit but if they start getting bad feedback at the shows, they'll phase out some of the new tunes.

I like some of these shows where a band plays an entire album, like Deep Purple just did their tour recently where they played all of Machine Head, however they played a long set, and they stuck the Machine Head part in the middle of the set. So you still got a lot of classics. Plus, there are already so many classics on Machine Head, that people wanted to hear those anyway, and Machine Head isn't that long an album. I doubt most Maiden fans that night were happy to hear that whole album (70+ minutes) and not hear Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, among many many others.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wow, no "The number of the Beast".

I could be wrong but I think that could be the first gig that Maiden haven`t played that since 1981.

The Sophisticated Savage
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-30-2013 @ 05:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Sounds great to me. They are touring the U.S again and that is amazing enough. The set list has been in need of a major change for a long time. I can see how it might disappoint some people but for me it sounds refreshing. I can think of better songs for the five classics played but the "A matter of life and death" set is way cool. It would be killer if they could add some of their b sides into the set list.
    Last edited by Tiki-Tom; 10-06-2006 at 12:31 AM.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Unfortunately they are only playing a dozen or so shows.

Hey if anyone gets bootleg DVDs of any shows on this tour,k I want a copy.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 10-06-2006 at 01:44 AM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 07:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm going to see them next Tuesday for the first time since 1992. I hope they do not play the whole fucking album. I wanna hear the old shit!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    01-11-2007 @ 03:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Just another fucking stupid decision from Iron Maiden. The new album's not bad, but it's not good enough to merit a cover to cover play through. Obviously, this will set them up for yet another failed American "tour", giving Bruce more fuel for his "Americans don't understand good music like Europeans do" rants that he seems to love to engage in. Bruce has certainly done a great job of making his disdain for American audiences public knowledge over the years. They certainly won't see a nickel from me, and I hope others boycot them too. What a ripoff. If they wanted to play a full album, they should have made it Piece of Mind or Powerslave, something that actually deserves it.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The solution, I think, is to do what Rush do and dump the support act.

Maiden could easily play a three hour show.

Start off with a few vintage numbers then perform "A matter of life and death".

After a fifteen minute break they could come back on and tear down the joint with the usual numbers and a couple of more obscure choices.

With their more relaxed touring schedule these days it wouldn`t be too pressing for them.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I really dislike concerts where the band takes a break midway. Motley Crue did it on their last tour, and yeah, it was a long show, but, it kills the momentum. I always find the second half never has a chance to regain the excitement of the first half. Crue did a good thing and had that animated film playing during the ten minute break, so that actually did at least attempt to keep the "feel" of a show going.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The thing is that if a band is going to play a whole album it should be one of their classic albums.

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 10:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks

You know what. I am sick of hearing all these people complaining about Maiden's set list. I could give a fuck if they played Lawrence Welk or even the Captain and Fucking Tenille's entire catalog. I'd just be so damned happy to even get to see them!

If they kept on doing the "hits" people would just call them a nostalgia act. I guess Bruce is right in some ways. Some people just can't be pleased.

Keep on bitching, People! Just give 'em another reason to not want to tour (especially the US) any more than they are lately!

And those of you who are lucky enough to have them tour remotely close to you, be fucking thankful!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

I think I'd wanna hear more classics.

No disrespect to the new record, it's their best for many, many years.

But the whole thing at the expense of so many other favs?

Not too sure.

Maybe they figure because they did the "classic" tour last time round (Iron-Maiden to Piece of Mind, right?) that they wanted to mix it up this time around...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by SparkieD
    You know what. I am sick of hearing all these people complaining about Maiden's set list. I could give a fuck if they played Lawrence Welk or even the Captain and Fucking Tenille's entire catalog. I'd just be so damned happy to even get to see them!

If they kept on doing the "hits" people would just call them a nostalgia act. I guess Bruce is right in some ways. Some people just can't be pleased.

Keep on bitching, People! Just give 'em another reason to not want to tour (especially the US) any more than they are lately!

And those of you who are lucky enough to have them tour remotely close to you, be fucking thankful!
    Oh please....What people are saying isn't going to stop the band from touring. And at the price of concert tickets these days, if I'm paying that amount to see Maiden, I'd better be hearing a SHITLOAD of the classic stuff, and not the entire new album. They've been around a long time, they're not stupid. They KNOW what the crowd wants-GIVE IT TO THEM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I still don't understand why their US tour is so small, didn't they go down a storm at Ozzfest?

The Cosmic Shame
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-06-2010 @ 12:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm of two minds on this one. On the one hand I'm always happy to see a band shake up their set list (and I'm especially happy to see old war horses get dropped from the set - I'm talking to you, U2! ). But this seems a little light on the back catalog. They should have dropped in another 4 to 6 classics.

I wish more acts would take a hint from Springsteen. He knows how to put together a set list. about 2/3 of whatever album he's promoting, 6 or 8 of the huge hits and 5 or 6 rarities. On top of that, he changes the set every night so each show gets something special. Pleases the casual fan, the hardcore fan, and the super-duper scary hardcore fan.

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
    Oh please....What people are saying isn't going to stop the band from touring. And at the price of concert tickets these days, if I'm paying that amount to see Maiden, I'd better be hearing a SHITLOAD of the classic stuff, and not the entire new album. They've been around a long time, they're not stupid. They KNOW what the crowd wants-GIVE IT TO THEM!
    And you know what else...they aren't going to cave in to what you say you "better be hearing." If you don't go, guess what. They won't miss you.

Take a look at their current itinerary. It's not lookin' like they particularly give two shits about what everybody wants. To some of us, they may as well have stopped touring.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I just got back in from seeing Maiden. They put on one hell of a show. Bruce was having a good night on vocals and the band were dead on. They did play the whole new album. It was the same set list that was mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I would have liked to have heard more oldies but i had a good time anyways. I noticed that Maiden has a lot of new young fans. The last time i saw them they must have played to about 5000 people. This show on the other hand was sold out with roughly 16 000 in attendance.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Hmmm...

I don't care what they play...

I'm pumped to catch a show...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by PHOENIX
    I just got back in from seeing Maiden. They put on one hell of a show. Bruce was having a good night on vocals and the band were dead on. They did play the whole new album. It was the same set list that was mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I would have liked to have heard more oldies but i had a good time anyways. I noticed that Maiden has a lot of new young fans. The last time i saw them they must have played to about 5000 people. This show on the other hand was sold out with roughly 16 000 in attendance.
    Sounds great, glad you had a good time!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by binnie
    Sounds great, glad you had a good time!
    I just saw Bruce and Adrian interviewed on the local french tv station. Adrian is married to a local french woman and comes here often to Montreal to visit his inlaws.

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by PHOENIX
    You just had to come in here and rub it in, didn't you? Glad it was a good show!

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-18-2015 @ 11:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I saw them last night at the Meadowlands and boy was I disappointed. Good crowd, they sounded good, but had I known it would be all new shit, I would have stayed home. No Trooper, Run to the Hills? That's sacrelige

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I could give a fuck if they played Lawrence Welk or even the Captain and Fucking Tenille's entire catalog.
    You know, that's actually a grate idea. I'm thinking some bubble blowing machines during the "Love Will Keep Us Together" closer.

Throw in a few Carpenters' songs, and motherfuckers would just set the whole arena on fire!

Personally? I'd pay good money to see it.

Get it together dipshits!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Since the other thread was closed, I say this to Sparkie...calm down, quit taking it so personally. This topic was essentially DEAD until you decided to start a thread about Nicko's dumb ramblings.

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Since the other thread was closed, I say this to Sparkie...calm down, quit taking it so personally. This topic was essentially DEAD until you decided to start a thread about Nicko's dumb ramblings.
    Our little debate wasn't enough to raise my blood pressure. I didn't take your comments as pot shots either. Calming down not needed here.

As far as the other thread, I think an explanation from a member of the band was quite relevant, meaning that the DEAD topic needed to be refreshed. And whether or not you think Nicko's comments are dumb, HE is an authority on the subject.

It actually saddens me that a fan as big as you claim to be has passed up two golden opportunities to see what probably is/was an excellent show.
    Last edited by SparkieD; 10-16-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Our little debate wasn't enough to raise my blood pressure. I didn't take your comments as pot shots either. Calming down not needed here.

As far as the other thread, I think an explanation from a member of the band was quite relevant, meaning that the DEAD topic needed to be refreshed. And whether or not you think Nicko's comments are dumb, HE is an authority on the subject.

It actually saddens me that a fan as big as you claim to be has passed up two golden opportunities to see what probably is/was an excellent show.
    I've seen them on their last 4 tours, this time I decided to take a break. The set list didn't help me to change my mind last minute, either.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Im seeing maiden in December and i kinda been a bit put off.i didnt much like the new album,kinda weak in comparrison,and from what i have heard they are playing all the new album then a few of the classics.But yeh i dont think alot of the new album

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
    Im seeing maiden in December and i kinda been a bit put off.i didnt much like the new album,kinda weak in comparrison,and from what i have heard they are playing all the new album then a few of the classics.But yeh i dont think alot of the new album
    Really?

What is it you don't like about it?

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've seen them on their last 4 tours, this time I decided to take a break. The set list didn't help me to change my mind last minute, either.
    I've never heard of "taking a break" from seeing one of your favorite bands. Now, if they were constantly on tour or if you had to travel very far to see them, I might be able to understand that logic.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've never heard of "taking a break" from seeing one of your favorite bands. Now, if they were constantly on tour or if you had to travel very far to see them, I might be able to understand that logic.
    Well, there's only so much budget a person has for entertainment, and since I've seen them the last four times they came here, I figured I'd save the money for something else this time. Especially after hearing the set list. Is that good enough for you???? Do I have to answer to YOU about who I go to see and what I spend my money on??? What exactly about THAT logic can you not comprehend????

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, there's only so much budget a person has for entertainment, and since I've seen them the last four times they came here, I figured I'd save the money for something else this time. Especially after hearing the set list. Is that good enough for you???? Do I have to answer to YOU about who I go to see and what I spend my money on??? What exactly about THAT logic can you not comprehend????

GEEZ!!! Talk about somebody who needs to calm down!

Look, I could give a fuck about your finances. You don't have to answer to me about shit.

However, I resent that you can bitch about your allotment for entertainment not long after stressing in another thread that I should TRAVEL if I want to see my favorite band. Can you imagine the expense of having both breadwinners in a household having to take off work, take a kid out of school, buy three plane tickets, hotel, concert tix, etc?

Maiden hasn't played within 350 miles of my town in 15 years-700+ on this tour! They've only played my town once (in 1981-my very first concert.) I have always had to travel to see them.

¿COMPRENDE?
    Last edited by SparkieD; 10-17-2006 at 09:55 PM.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Whatever Sparkie....You're right and I'm wrong. And any comment I might make, you will accuse me of the same thing, like you always do. I'm a complete idiot for not spending my money on a Maiden concert to see that SHITTY FUCKING SET LIST. It's MY decision to spend money on travel and tickets to WHEREVER I GO SEE A SHOW. It has nothing to do with you, so just deal with your own life, & quit fucking worrying about what others think about Maiden issues.

Now, answer me by telling me that I should deal with my own life.

Jesus Tiki...I don't envy you having to deal with this fucking bullshit all day.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    LMAO!

I expected to read about Iron Maiden...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ELVIS
    LMAO!

I expected to read about Iron Maiden...

Started out that way...but anytime you say anything slightly negative about anything Maiden does, she loses her everloving mind. I had to argue with her about the fucking merits of X-Factor!!! X-FACTOR LICKED THE SWEAT OFF A DEAD MAN'S BALLS!!!! Yet she was pissed that I didn't like it, and that I suggested that no real Maiden fan would have.

The Sophisticated Savage
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-30-2013 @ 05:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Jesus Tiki...I don't envy you having to deal with this fucking bullshit all day.
    No worries here. See, around this dojo life is good. The woman is quite the sparring partner when riled up, and that, my friend, is a good thing. Sure we don't always agree on things, but if I "respectfully dissagree" she's done with it soon enough and vice versa. It's the way things should be. Hell, whether you agree or not you may surprise yourself and learn something if you listen with both ears.

That being said, I tend to side with her on said subject. I think it's refreshing to see great bands do the unexpected. It makes for a special "once in a lifetime" experience. Even if I didn't approve of the band's choices this year, no sweat. I'll get to see them do their "same old thing" soon enough.

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Whatever Sparkie....You're right and I'm wrong. And any comment I might make, you will accuse me of the same thing, like you always do. I'm a complete idiot for not spending my money on a Maiden concert to see that SHITTY FUCKING SET LIST. It's MY decision to spend money on travel and tickets to WHEREVER I GO SEE A SHOW. It has nothing to do with you, so just deal with your own life, & quit fucking worrying about what others think about Maiden issues.

Now, answer me by telling me that I should deal with my own life.

No, I'm answering you by saying I think you're pretty pathetic if you think I even CARE where you go or who you go see, or what you spend your money on.

Tiki has no problems here. He knows how to engage in a healthy debate without being insulting or feeling insulted.

I don't know what makes you think I took your posts so personal. You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

Started out that way...but anytime you say anything slightly negative about anything Maiden does, she loses her everloving mind. I had to argue with her about the fucking merits of X-Factor!!! X-FACTOR LICKED THE SWEAT OFF A DEAD MAN'S BALLS!!!! Yet she was pissed that I didn't like it, and that I suggested that no real Maiden fan would have.

You know what, Vengie. I don't care if you don't like The X-Factor. Matter of fact, I'm so damned glad you DON'T like it because that's one less thing I have in common with you. You were way off base whan you said I wasn't a real Maiden fan. THAT is what pissed me off.

News flash. There are a LOT of Maiden fans who don't like that album, but nobody else I've debated with about it have suggested something as asinine as "she's no true Maiden fan because she loves a certain Maiden album." For that matter, there are some people right here in this forum that aren't happy with the setlist, but YOU are the only one who has taken such offense(so far) that I am happy with it.

I was actually enjoying our discussion at one point. Some people can respect another person's opinion while holding their own. Apparently you aren't one of them.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'd just like to see Maiden...

I don't want to know what X whatever does with balls, dead or alive...

But the new Maiden album seems good enough in any respect...

Sure, I'd love a concert of the classics, but I JUST WANT TO SEE MAIDEN !!

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ELVIS
    I'd just like to see Maiden...

I don't want to know what X whatever does with balls, dead or alive...

But the new Maiden album seems good enough in any respect...

Sure, I'd love a concert of the classics, but I JUST WANT TO SEE MAIDEN !!

WORD!!!

But all this talk about balls can make a girl blush

Thread Information